SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 1: High School Football Playoffs

Are any of you noticing any issues with the publication of playoff brackets for those high schools who actually played football this spring? In our section, the season ended the day before the FCS season ended, but the NCAA posted a playoff bracket fairly quickly, but we're still waiting for the CIF geographical subsets to do so. I know it's complicated for the same reasons it was complicated for colleges (lack of games played, etc.) and by the added factor of teams sometimes moving up a division for the playoffs. But surely it shouldn't be taking THIS long, right?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 2: Olympic Soccer Draw

Just saw the draw for the women's soccer tournament (it's probably been out for a while). Where the heck is France? They're ALWAYS a threat to make the final given that they have the best player in the entire world in Eugenie Le Sommer, but they're not even IN this year. SMH....

Group E

Japan
Canada
Great Britain
Chile

Group F

PRC
Brazil
Zambia
Netherlands

Group G

Sweden
USA
Australia
New Zealand

Group Play Schedule:

WED 21 JUL

Group E: GBR vs. CHI at Sapporo Dome 0030 PT
Group F: PRC vs. BRA at Miyagi Stadium 0100 PT
Group G: SWE vs. USA at Tokyo Stadium 0130 PT
Group E: JPN vs. CAN at Sapporo Dome 0330 PT
Group F: ZAM vs. NED at Miyagi Stadium 0400 PT
Group G: AUS vs. NZL at Tokyo Stadium 0430

SAT 24 JUL

Group E: CHI vs. CAN at Sapporo Dome 0030 PT
Group F: PRC vs. ZAM at Miyagi Stadium 0100 PT
Group G: SWE vs. AUS at Tokyo Stadium 0130 PT
Group E: JPN vs. GBR at Sapporo Dome 0330 PT
Group F: NED vs. BRA at Miyagi Stadium 0400 PT
Group G: NZL vs. USA at Tokyo Stadium 0430 PT

TUE 27 JUL

Group G: USA vs. AUS at Ibaraki Kashima Stadium 0100 PT
Group G: NZL vs. SWE at Miyagi Stadium 0100 PT
Group E: CHI vs. JPN at Miyagi Stadium 0400 PT
Group E: CAN vs. GBR at Ibaraki Kashima Stadium 0400 PT
Group F: NED vs. PRC at International Stadium Yokohama 0400 PT
Group F: BRA vs. ZAM at Saitama Stadium 0430 PT

Knockout Rounds:

Quarterfinals:
30 JUL

Semifinals:
02 AUG

Bronze Medal:
05 AUG

Gold Medal:
06 AUG

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Oh. I see what happened. Instead of conducting a separate tournament like the other confederations did, UEFA decided to use the World Cup as their qualifier, and France's loss to USA in the QFs doomed them, as the three remaining UEFA participants punched their tickets (GBR, SWE, and NED). Can't be upset about NED getting their first trip to the Olympics, or about the presence of international powerhouses like GBR and SWE, but one can only wonder if a separately held confederation tournament would have yielded different results....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 3: Olympic Baseball and Softball

Apparently, women are getting more of what they got at the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Softball will consist of ONE round-robin group, which will be followed by only four teams getting into a knock-out phase, while baseball has TWO round-robin groups, which will be followed by the top three in each group making up a six-team double-elimination tournament. Why this difference? Is it akin to the phony idea that held until the 1984 Olympics that women were somehow "incapable" of running a marathon, despite the fact that they'd done so at all the major international marathons for nearly 20 years at that point? SMH....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 4: New NFL Rules

The biggie is the new numbering rule, allowing offensive skill position players minus quarterbacks to wear any number 1-49 and 80-80, DLs to wear 50-79 and 90-99, LBers 1-59 and 90-99, DBs 1-49. Quarterbacks and kickers are still restricted to 1-19.

Tom Brady is upset about this because of potential in confusion over who to block, but nobody seems to care what he thinks because jersey color is more important than jersey number in terms of who it's OK to block. That is, you're not going to block your own teammate. The only caveat to that is that film study will tell you that you're going to block LBer #4 while the guard next to you will take DT #53. If you pay attention to the film like you're supposed to do anyway, there's no issue there. Ezekiel Elliott is excited because he can go back to his Florida #15. The main problem for popular players like Elliott, though, is that if they want to do this for the 2021 season, the NFL is mandating that they buy out existing store inventory of their old jerseys. That's a petty move by the NFL, IMO, particularly because there's no such penalty for players who choose to wait for 2022.

My main issue with this is that the Doug Fluties (#22) and Otto Grahams (#60) of the world are still screwed. This restriction seems arbitrary to me given the liberalization given to everyone else.

Other rule changes include:
  • Expanded booth-to-field official comms designed to allow a referee and his or her crew to see what the broadcast sees
    A tweak to the receiving team for an onside kick allowing only nine players in the "set up zone" so as to allow a better chance of a kicking team recovery.
    Elimination of pre-season OT
    Reclassifying a second forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage and a forward pass by a player who has crossed the line and then retreated behind the line as illegal forward passes, thereby entailing a loss of down.
My big beefs with these is a dislike of the already bogus Goodell onside kick, which is one of the many things he's done to ruin the game. I don't really mind the removal of pre-season OT. I'd like to remove OT from the regular season, too; the reduced OT and the bogus TD requirement make it ludicrous, to say the least. My preference would be to accept the tie in preseason and the regular season, and institute a provision that playoff OT doesn't go "sudden death" until both teams have had possession of the ball, regardless of what score happens first. Even in THAT case, a first-possession pick six would end the game because both teams could be said to have had possession. The idea that a safety is "good enough" to end the game, but a field goal isn't is bogus.
Last edited by SuperHornet on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 5: Dog Enters HS 4x220 Relay

Here's one for dal. A dog broke free from his owner during the 4x220 relay and beat the human winner....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dog-enters ... 59024.html
Last edited by SuperHornet on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 6: New AD at Cal Baptist

Cal Baptist has hired Tyler Mariucci, the son of former 49ers HC Steve Mariucci, as Athletic Director. He was most recently Associate AD for Development at San Diego State.

This article is marred by the assertion that Mariucci will be "formerly" introduced next Tuesday. One would think that a newspaper would edit their own work, but not even my local paper does that anymore....

https://www.pe.com/2021/04/23/californi ... -director/
Last edited by SuperHornet on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 7: Steve "Mongo" McMichael Diagnosed with ALS

The former Chicago Bear DL and professional wrestler didn't see the end coming like this. How sad....

https://news.yahoo.com/steve-mongo-mcmi ... 00427.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 8: Cowboys LBer Sean Lee Retires

The eleven-year veteran finally acknowledges that the injuries were becoming too much. The Cowboys will miss him....

https://sports.yahoo.com/dallas-cowboys ... 10723.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 9: NHL Expands

The Seattle Kraken (?!?) are officially the 32nd franchise in the already over-bloated NHL, following the final payment of their $650M expansion fee to the league coffers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/seattle-kraken ... 36547.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 10: Liverpool-ManU Match Postponed

Today's tilt between Liverpool FC and Manchester United FC was postponed after ManU fans protesting the ownership of the Glazer family (they also own the reigning Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers). The protest apparently broke through security onto the pitch. Apparently, they believe that the Glazers will somehow ruin English football.

Wow....

https://sports.yahoo.com/manchester-uni ... 04429.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 11: Is Old School Football Dead?

Apparently not. It was brought to my attention today that Andy Reid resurrected the Single Wing during their Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers a couple of years ago. I've thought for years that the Single Wing, or even variants like the Double Wing and the Notre Dame Box, would be great for short yardage and goalline, as they not only reinforce most points of attack with more blockers, but they get people out in the pattern rather quickly if one has a multi-talented tailback (like UCLA once had in future NFL HOFer Bob Waterfield). Unlike what most teams are trying to do with the Wildcat, however, there's a whole lot more going on than a direct snap to a skilled runner. In the case of the Chiefs, three 49ers were pulled severely out of position as Mahomes ran a spin-fake into a fake speed option to the right with "fullback" Sammy Watkins, while the direct snap went to tailback Damien Williams on tailback dive; Williams came very close to scoring from about 8 to 10 yards out, largely because those three defenders were pulled out of position. This play also shows that the Chiefs could have done the angled direct snap to Mahomes to actually run that speed option to Watkins. And every eligible receiver (Williams on a check-thru, Watkins on a flat pattern, and the TEs and wingbacks on multi-level routes) could have been out in the pattern to receive a pass from either Mahomes or Williams.

Cool stuff, is it not? In a day and age of multiple offenses, THIS could easily work. And it wouldn't take much, given that this comes out of what some are used to calling "12 Personnel" today, or what my teams have called Ace (1 RB, 2 TEs). Teams already do a lot in these packages, and this would merely add to it....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 12: HOF-Caliber Quarterback Comes Out of Retirement!

Quarterback Sami Grisafe, the first female quarterback to start a California Interscholastic Federation Division I game and the first to throw for 10,000 yards in semi-pro competition, has come out of retirement and has signed with Cali War, the former California War Angels, and will play this coming Saturday against the Sacramento Sirens. I'm scared to death.

Grisafe led Team USA to all three World Championships ever contested (all against Team Canada in the Gold Medal Game), and as a professional singer, did the National Anthem prior to the 2013 World Championship Gold Medal to the accompaniment of her own ukulele. After what happened this past week WITHOUT Grisafe (the Sirens got whipped 58-6 by the WFA defending D-III national champion Nevada Storm and Cali War ran up 70 on the Inland Empire Desert Storm), we COULD be looking at the first 100+ point margin since Team USA (led by Grisafe) downed Team Germany 107-7 during the World Championship prelims in 2013.

We're screwed!

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 13: Quarterback Options for My Cowboys

The Cowboys are seriously depleted behind Dak Prescott, given the transfer of Andy Dalton to the Bears. Here are my three solutions, and I would actually do all three of these:

1. Send someone -- ANYONE -- to the Panthers for QB Kevin Thomson.

2. Sign Danny White out of the radio booth.

3. Sign (and compensate Cali War if necessary) Sami Grisafe and start her against the Bears in the playoffs (as they're not on the Cowboys' regular season schedule).

Go Cowboys!

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 14: Kentucky Derby Result in Danger of Expungement

Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit, trained by HOFer Bob Baffert, allegedly tested positive for 13 picograms of a banned substance, and Baffert has been suspended. Baffert has labeled this "cancel culture," and is appealing while simultaneously preparing Medina Spirit for Pimlico and the Preakness. He says he has "documentation" that Medina Spirit never got the stuff. I wonder where the truth lies....

https://sports.yahoo.com/medina-spirit- ... 10698.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 15: Kenny Mayne Out at ESPN

I haven't watched ESPN on a regular basis in years because IMO the quality has taken a very steep hit over the years, and I was never a Kenny Mayne fan as his schtick has always gotten on my nerves, but he's been popular with the majority of viewers over the years, so this is a big shock to me. He claims it's a "salary cap hit." That's probably because Chris Berman has been extended yet again.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/longtime-a ... 23854.html

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Chargers social media team having some fun ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I don't get it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:37 pm I don't get it.
I think the Chargers are having fun with some of the uniforms. Not all of them make sense to me, either, but overall they seem pretty funny....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 17: Packers Sign Blake Bortles

Potential veteran replacement for Aaron Rodgers. IMO, this is about as dumb a move as Green Bay can do....

https://www.aol.com/1-stat-aaron-rodger ... 02742.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 18: OL Reign Gets Olympique Lyonnais Forward Le Sommer

Happy 32nd Birthday to Eugenie Le Sommer, the leading goal scorer in the history of Team France, who last week went on loan from Olympique Lyonnais to OL Reign in Tacoma, WA! Her first game here in the USA will be 23 MAY at Portland Thorns FC! I guess OL Reign is connected to Olympique Lyonnais, where Le Sommer has won 10 Division 1 Feminine titles in 11 years and 7 UEFA Cup championships. She leads OL with 274 goals all time and is at the top of Team France's scorecard with 86 goals in 175 appearances.

As you can probably tell, Le Sommer is my favorite soccer player....

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/05/12/ol ... ens-soccer

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 19: Columnist Confused over Tebow Angst

He thinks the comparison between Tebow and Kaepernick is a stretch at best, as baseball has at least kept Tebow in shape without the pounding of an NFL season. He thinks a better comparison is between Tebow and Cam Newton, albeit claiming that Newton is actually a better QB than Tebow (I highly disagree with that statement, though). He's confused at how people's heads have gone screwy given that the "one year contract" is nothing more than a camp invite for a guy the coach likes, and he cites a list of similar camp invites that have happened over the years, from Brock Lesnar to a World's Strongest Man competitor better known for his time on HBO's Game of Thrones. That is, it's more a chance for Tebow to humiliate himself (I also disagree with that). He also cites a guy the Miami Heat had on the roster all season for his leadership, but who didn't play at all until the last game of the season. Another source thinks the delay in signing Tebow, so far unexplained, is due either to Meyer trying to convince the team staff of the move, or to give the team time to trade Gardner Minshew II so #15 is opened up for Tebow. That seems like a stretch to me, unless they've already decided that Trevor Lawrence will be the starting quarterback Day One (that would be a HUGE mistake, in my book).

Personally, I see this "tight end thing" as a chance to get Tebow on the roster like South Dakota State has Karst Hunter, who's on the roster in the position of "athlete," open to all aspects of running, throwing, and catching, sort of like New Orleans has been using Taysom Hill for several years. Tebow may well actually play tight end (probably the B or V tight end in ace and jumbo sets), but I could also envision Tebow aligning behind center in Wildcat sets or flanking out. Tebow could also return kicks. He would also be available to play quarterback if injury problems hit the first three on the roster, particularly if they DO end up trading Minshew, but that likely wouldn't happen, as injuries running through the entire official QB corps is rather rare. Regarding Lawrence and Minshew: I would keep Minshew as the Day One starter with an experienced veteran backup (C.J. Beathard is on the roster), with Lawrence as the third string, learning the craft, with both getting spot duty late in games if Jacksonville is up big or down big, with consideration to elevating Lawrence after Game 12 (Beathard likely isn't the answer as starter) if the season is a downer, assuming, of course, that the OL is at least up to snuff. Use Tebow in the Wildcat or in Hill-type duty unless injuries run through Minshew and Beathard. In THAT case, I'd move Tebow in front of Lawrence if it's early in the season because of his experience, with the idea that Lawrence could get the nod sometime after Game 12. If things go right, while I'm not entirely comfortable with a quarterback stepping into the starting role before Season 4, after a season like this, Lawrence COULD be ready to go NEXT season. My main concern for him would be what might happen in his head if the whole team is crap with him at the helm; in that scenario, he could be mentally shot for his entire career even though it was more his teammates' fault than his. Quarterbacks tend to get more credit and more blame than they deserve, and it can affect their heads. It's a good thing Troy Aikman had a strong brain, given how his first season went, but other quarterbacks haven't been so fortunate....

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-is-there-s ... 32907.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 20: It Finally Happened!

The Jacksonville Jaguars have FINALLY signed TE Tim Tebow. He will wear #85 (for the time being), and is the 6th TE on the roster. Tebow will get the league minimum salary of $920K, none guaranteed.

While I heard this on ESPN last night while I was out for dinner, I find it odd that a confirmatory article is on NFL.com, but the Jags website has NOTHING of this yet....

Woo Hoo!

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-signed ... -920k-deal

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 21: Why Was Sarah Fuller Not Drafted?

Well, probably many reasons, but THIS one is key: she's decided to transfer to North Texas to continue her soccer career. I'm wondering if she'll have to sit out a year or if COVID will nullify that. She's not asking to also play football, but WILL help out if she's asked.

Why the transfer? I've heard that there were some bitter feelings among Vandy soccer coaches over her decision to play football. While not noted in the article, that might have had some bearing in her decision.

FYI, the article is from DEC, but I just saw it today.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/12/vander ... a-canceled

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 22: PGA Completely Mishandles COVID

Apparently, after being flagged all week on contact tracing but being completely asymptomatic, Jon Rahm tested positive for COVID-19 during The Memorial Tournament. After they notified him at the end of the third round (after which he had a six-stroke lead), the PGA declared that he had "withdrawn." I cry foul on that. He didn't "withdraw." He was bogusly kicked out. My two major beefs with this low-class move:

1. Instead of taking Rahm into a ventilated room away from cameras to inform him of the positive test, the entire world got to see his pain when they maliciously inflicted the news on him out in the open. The PGA could have been much more understanding in human relations.

2. The PGA didn't even seem to bother to consider alternatives to kicking him out. One rather easy alternative: Send Rahm and his caddy, properly socially distanced, out for the final round at DAWN. Have a rules official a hundred yards ahead and another a hundred yards behind him to cover odditites like ball drops and shots in the drink. Have a couple of appropriately clad sanitizers following two hundred yards behind Rahm to cleanse things like the flag sticks. Keep all fans out during Rahm's round, and don't let them in until he's off the premises. That would get the round complete with a minimum of fuss, and protect all involved. About the only fly in the ointment that I could see would be the possibility that another golfer might tie him; in that case, instead of staging a playoff, the PGA could accept the tie and split the pot accordingly.

I also had issues with how NBC covered the LPGA tournament (virtually no coverage of Brooke Henderson during the final round, save for her eagle on 17 and missed birdie putt on 18. That was way wrong, too, but nothing about that even comes close to the way the PGA wronged Jon Rahm. They should be ashamed of themselves....

https://sports.yahoo.com/jon-rahm-hits- ... 18931.html