2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:41 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am

Portland's going nowhere and it will only get worse through the month, if not longer. Sixers are fine at the moment, but long term need the extra body. They don't play each other any more this year so that's helpful. Portland front office being in flux could be helpful here, as the prior group may have just been trying to hold on and didn't want to do anything significant - might have more appetite for it now. I think Morey will come down from what was reportedly offered and refused before, but it will be CJ and a first round or more for Simmons and maybe a throw-in guy (but not Maxey anymore, he's played himself out of being traded - Sixers might have a gem there).
I don't usually pay attention to tweets and social media from players, but it was interesting yesterday. Lillard messaging that he wants to play with Simmons, and then Simmons "liking" it. Then the situation with McCollum last night before the game, then McCollum sending a message to the Blazers beat reporter, basically saying how he has enjoyed his time in Portland and will always remember his playing days. The reporter actually asked him if he'd been traded, and McCollum responded with "I'm still here". Link below, subscription required.

https://theathletic.com/3002581/2021/12 ... -struggle/

Whether it is for Simmons or not, I'm thinking something is in the works involving McCollum.
Simmons clearly has his warts, but even with those warts he's a top level player in this league, and he's going to help give you a lot of wins, at least in the regular season. It won't solve Portland's postseason woes, as that's when Simmons's warts become vastly more apparent, but who knows, maybe he'll lighten up with Lillard where he never lightened up with Embiid before? I think the Sixers are in a different place than they were before the year, too. Then it was Lillard or bust, but given the marked improvement they've seen in some of the younger players, Maxey for instance, Thybulle as well, the Sixers aren't as desperate to hold out for a Lillard anymore. McCollum has always been a good fit, and with the right number of first round picks to go along with I think the trade happens.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:21 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:41 am

I don't usually pay attention to tweets and social media from players, but it was interesting yesterday. Lillard messaging that he wants to play with Simmons, and then Simmons "liking" it. Then the situation with McCollum last night before the game, then McCollum sending a message to the Blazers beat reporter, basically saying how he has enjoyed his time in Portland and will always remember his playing days. The reporter actually asked him if he'd been traded, and McCollum responded with "I'm still here". Link below, subscription required.

https://theathletic.com/3002581/2021/12 ... -struggle/

Whether it is for Simmons or not, I'm thinking something is in the works involving McCollum.
Simmons clearly has his warts, but even with those warts he's a top level player in this league, and he's going to help give you a lot of wins, at least in the regular season. It won't solve Portland's postseason woes, as that's when Simmons's warts become vastly more apparent, but who knows, maybe he'll lighten up with Lillard where he never lightened up with Embiid before? I think the Sixers are in a different place than they were before the year, too. Then it was Lillard or bust, but given the marked improvement they've seen in some of the younger players, Maxey for instance, Thybulle as well, the Sixers aren't as desperate to hold out for a Lillard anymore. McCollum has always been a good fit, and with the right number of first round picks to go along with I think the trade happens.
The way I look at it, if you have the worst (or one of the worst) defenses in the league and a top notch defender is out there to be had, you have to make every effort to get him. I do think Morey has been unreasonable, but I also think Olshey was stubborn as well. Lillard for Simmons is (and was) never going to happen (Sixers wish), and just McCollum for Simmons is (and was) never going to happen either (Blazers wish). From what I've seen, Sixers could do a good job masking McCollum's shortcomings on defense, and the Blazers can cover Simmons' shortcomings on offense.

Blazers are also shopping their two expiring contracts, Nurkic and Covington. If they can get a decent backcourt defender for one of them, they will drop out of chasing Simmons, and then turn McCollum for some frontcourt help (Pacers Sabonis or Turner have been bantered about). Bottom line, if Morey's price remains high, the Blazers can move on. Simmons would be a great catch, but the Blazers don't have to get him.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 am McCollum was kind of a mysterious scratch last night against the Clippers. He was listed as "probable" all day until right before gametime when he was downgraded to "doubtful", then he sat in street clothes the whole game. Blazers may be rudderless right now, but something may be getting ready to happen.
Not really what I was expecting with McCollum.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trail-blazers- ... 12329.html

I have a feeling he is going to be out for awhile. :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:55 pm
JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 am McCollum was kind of a mysterious scratch last night against the Clippers. He was listed as "probable" all day until right before gametime when he was downgraded to "doubtful", then he sat in street clothes the whole game. Blazers may be rudderless right now, but something may be getting ready to happen.
Not really what I was expecting with McCollum.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trail-blazers- ... 12329.html

I have a feeling he is going to be out for awhile. :ohno:
That, and the reports the Sixers aren't interested in McCollum, certainly puts the lid on that trade option.

The December 15th date is coming up for when other players who just signed contracts can be moved. Will be interesting if that frees things up enough to move Simmons.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Damian Lillard's all inclusive list of trade destinations.

https://www.theonion.com/damian-lillard ... 1848179799
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:48 pm Damian Lillard's all inclusive list of trade destinations.

https://www.theonion.com/damian-lillard ... 1848179799
:notworthy: :notworthy:

There will always be an Onion!
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Timberwolves snap losing streak, with win over Portland.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:16 am Timberwolves snap losing streak, with win over Portland.
Blazers are a bad team right now. You should be understanding the new aspects of Billups' system by 26 games into the season, but the Blazers do not. This will get worse before it gets better.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:16 am Timberwolves snap losing streak, with win over Portland.
Blazers are a bad team right now. You should be understanding the new aspects of Billups' system by 26 games into the season, but the Blazers do not. This will get worse before it gets better.
KAT is getting to Edwards. Edwards called him out and told him to get more aggressive. Does Portland want KAT?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:21 pm
JALMOND wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 am

KAT is getting to Edwards. Edwards called him out and told him to get more aggressive. Does Portland want KAT?
For any combination of players not named Lillard, in a heartbeat. Rumor of the so-called "list" that Lillard gave Olshey last year of players to target had KAT on it.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers fire sale, offering everyone except Lillard.

Interim GM Joe Cronin has the OK from upper management to facilitate deals for anyone on the team except for Lillard. Reports are that he will listen to any offers regarding the rest of the Blazer players.

The unlikely Lillard trade, if that ever happens, would have to come from the top and most likely would have to be initiated by Lillard himself. All indications so far have Lillard wanting to stay in Portland.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Timberwolves playing with 4 starters on covid list.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:49 pm Timberwolves playing with 4 starters on covid list.
Russell joins the other 4 on the covid list.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers on COVID list;

Robert Covington
Dennis Smith, Jr.
Ben McLemore
Trenden Watford
Keljin Blevins
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:28 am Blazers on COVID list;

Robert Covington
Dennis Smith, Jr.
Ben McLemore
Trenden Watford
Keljin Blevins
Blazers added to COVID list

Jusuf Nurkic
Cody Zeller
Chauncey Billups

All out for tonight's game with the Mavs. Lillard listed as questionable.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Wolves beat Celtics with all 5 starters out. Looks like Boston wasn't at full strength.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The Pistons are trusting in The Process!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Wolves reach .500 after 44 games. 7th place in the west.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Color me shocked: Lebron gathering a bunch of 37-40 year old former superstars and thinking they were somehow going to be able to hang with the likes of the Warriors, the Suns, etc….and here’s a shocker: Anthony Davis hurt again. Whoa thunk it??
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Couple questions.

1. WTF is Wiggins doing as an All Star Starter?
2. Did the 76ers just waste a year of the process with Ben Simmons not being traded?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:55 pm Couple questions.

2. Did the 76ers just waste a year of the process with Ben Simmons not being traded?
1. Fans get to vote. Golden St is good at voting.
2. Waste? The Sixers are 1.5 games out of the top seed in the East. Embiid is likely the MVP this year. They've unearthed a gem in Tyrese Maxey. I'm not counting them out at all, and the trade deadline is still ahead, and even if they don't trade Simmons, they could still pick up a piece or two. And then next year they get Harden.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:28 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:55 pm Couple questions.

2. Waste? The Sixers are 1.5 games out of the top seed in the East. Embiid is likely the MVP this year. They've unearthed a gem in Tyrese Maxey. I'm not counting them out at all, and the trade deadline is still ahead, and even if they don't trade Simmons, they could still pick up a piece or two. And then next year they get Harden.
As of today, and that could change, Simmons price is too high for Minnesota and Atlanta. Sacramento is another possibility.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:15 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:28 pm

As of today, and that could change, Simmons price is too high for Minnesota and Atlanta. Sacramento is another possibility.
Hey, if teams don't want him, wait till Harden next year. Sixers will be a better playoff team this year than last year, trade or no trade - this year they'll have 5 guys on the court versus the 4 they had on the court in the 4th quarter of Game 7 last year against the Hawks. That's a 20% improvement. Oh, and now they're just 0.5 games out of the top seed in the East after knocking off the West's current #3 team, and did it with Embiid taking the game off as a planned rest day.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Timberwolves above .500 with win over Denver.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers trade Norman Powell and Robert Covington to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, Justice Winslow, Keon Johnson and a 2025 2nd round pick.

https://www.nba.com/news/clippers-blaze ... -covington