2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

Animal rights protester tackled at the Timberwolves game, and drug off the floor by security. From my seat, it was hard to tell what was going on, because I was watching the ball.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:54 am Animal rights protester tackled at the Timberwolves game, and drug off the floor by security. From my seat, it was hard to tell what was going on, because I was watching the ball.

Is this all over the killing of birds suspected to have avian flu (by the company the T-wolves owner also owns)? I can't recall seeing this many political protests at an NBA game, especially involving just one team.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:10 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:54 am Animal rights protester tackled at the Timberwolves game, and drug off the floor by security. From my seat, it was hard to tell what was going on, because I was watching the ball.

Is this all over the killing of birds suspected to have avian flu (by the company the T-wolves owner also owns)? I can't recall seeing this many political protests at an NBA game, especially involving just one team.
Portland love to protest just about anything, but I can't recall ever hearing about a protest disrupting a Blazer game.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:26 am

Portland love to protest just about anything, but I can't recall ever hearing about a protest disrupting a Blazer game.
Twice now by this same group. This one entered right by Taylor. He's in the front row.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

:nod: These protesters are putting in more time on the court then Ben Simmons.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:50 pm

Indeed. I'm sure Simmons sat out last night for fear of being the first NBA player ever to play two consecutive games and be eliminated from the playoffs in both games. That would be a hard feat to equal ever again. Guy's a dog.

Speaking of dogs, the Sixers couldn't have played any worse last night (well, Embiid played alright). They've stumbled their way into a 7 game series now, as it's amazingly unlikely that they'll go into Toronto and win Game 6, especially given their recent form in the past couple of games. Just brutal shooting, the offense couldn't have been more disorganized, everything started from 30 feet out rather than stuff close to the basket, and they couldn't defend anyone. Certainly warning flags are there that this could be the first 3-0 series lead to end up on the losing side. I'd be fine with firing Doc Rivers today. Heck, Sixers should see if Dawn Staley wants to coach, I'd hire her.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:50 pm

Indeed. I'm sure Simmons sat out last night for fear of being the first NBA player ever to play two consecutive games and be eliminated from the playoffs in both games. That would be a hard feat to equal ever again. Guy's a dog.

Speaking of dogs, the Sixers couldn't have played any worse last night (well, Embiid played alright). They've stumbled their way into a 7 game series now, as it's amazingly unlikely that they'll go into Toronto and win Game 6, especially given their recent form in the past couple of games. Just brutal shooting, the offense couldn't have been more disorganized, everything started from 30 feet out rather than stuff close to the basket, and they couldn't defend anyone. Certainly warning flags are there that this could be the first 3-0 series lead to end up on the losing side. I'd be fine with firing Doc Rivers today. Heck, Sixers should see if Dawn Staley wants to coach, I'd hire her.
Those of us out West have seen many mysterious collapses of Doc Rivers' coached teams. Throw in the questionable defeats of teams with James Harden on them and it does become a bit perplexing at times. Whenever either one's teams seem to be really good, something seems to happen that keeps them from winning.

Sixers aren't done yet, but last night was rather strange.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:09 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:27 am

Those of us out West have seen many mysterious collapses of Doc Rivers' coached teams. Throw in the questionable defeats of teams with James Harden on them and it does become a bit perplexing at times. Whenever either one's teams seem to be really good, something seems to happen that keeps them from winning.

We're all familiar with Doc Rivers and his postseason stumbles - they still show Western Conference playoff games out here on the East Coast, just have to stay up a little late at times to see the endings. He's still better than Brett Brown, but that was a pretty easy bar to step over. On the bright side he's not gone too deep on the bench this postseason, but like before, he's terrible at adjusting and he's terrible at motivation. That team looked dead last night. And yes, Harden is front and center in terms of being a contributor to that - way too many possessions where he doesn't get a good shot off and clearly his marksmanship is much reduced at this point in his career. We're all thankful that he's a point guard who 1) plays and 2) takes shots, so he's better than the point guard we had before, but again, low bar. Embiid's thumb looks like an issue, he's even more erratic dribbling than he was before, and this team doesn't go anywhere without Embiid. All the more reason to throw criticism on Doc - Embiid was almost exclusively parked at the the 3-point line for much of the night as a distributor and to bring his man out to drive on him. With the thumb what it is, he's not able to do those as much. When he got the ball deep in the paint he was unstoppable, but Doc didn't draw up much to account for that.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:09 am

We're all familiar with Doc Rivers and his postseason stumbles - they still show Western Conference playoff games out here on the East Coast, just have to stay up a little late at times to see the endings. He's still better than Brett Brown, but that was a pretty easy bar to step over. On the bright side he's not gone too deep on the bench this postseason, but like before, he's terrible at adjusting and he's terrible at motivation. That team looked dead last night. And yes, Harden is front and center in terms of being a contributor to that - way too many possessions where he doesn't get a good shot off and clearly his marksmanship is much reduced at this point in his career. We're all thankful that he's a point guard who 1) plays and 2) takes shots, so he's better than the point guard we had before, but again, low bar. Embiid's thumb looks like an issue, he's even more erratic dribbling than he was before, and this team doesn't go anywhere without Embiid. All the more reason to throw criticism on Doc - Embiid was almost exclusively parked at the the 3-point line for much of the night as a distributor and to bring his man out to drive on him. With the thumb what it is, he's not able to do those as much. When he got the ball deep in the paint he was unstoppable, but Doc didn't draw up much to account for that.
Is Moray getting some heat for not pulling the trigger on a McCollum trade? It wasn't that long ago when McCollum wasn't even in Harden's league, but the recent slide that Harden has been on, maybe McCollum would have been the better option.

Looking back, I'm glad the deal never went through. Simmons seems to be having other issues and I am glad the Blazers aren't the ones having to deal with him. We have enough issues here already in trying to make sure this season was just a "one off'.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 am

Is Moray getting some heat for not pulling the trigger on a McCollum trade? It wasn't that long ago when McCollum wasn't even in Harden's league, but the recent slide that Harden has been on, maybe McCollum would have been the better option.

Looking back, I'm glad the deal never went through. Simmons seems to be having other issues and I am glad the Blazers aren't the ones having to deal with him. We have enough issues here already in trying to make sure this season was just a "one off'.
Hard to know if McCollum was ever available for Simmons or not, and yes, because Simmons looks like a train wreck at this point. But no, the GM isn't getting that much heat yet, but just because we're still in the middle of it and there are players and coaches who are in the firing line first. People haven't liked Doc almost since he got here - again, better than Brown, but still likely not good enough. We'll see about Harden, and how he finishes this season. I don't think the Sixers are locked into him for next year yet - it's a player option and I don't believe Harden triggered it yet. Given how he's playing now, I can't imagine him able to get more money somewhere else, but I think he's also looking for the next contract after next season. But given how bad Simmons is looking, just not having Simmons looks like a plus.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:02 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am

Hard to know if McCollum was ever available for Simmons or not, and yes, because Simmons looks like a train wreck at this point. But no, the GM isn't getting that much heat yet, but just because we're still in the middle of it and there are players and coaches who are in the firing line first. People haven't liked Doc almost since he got here - again, better than Brown, but still likely not good enough. We'll see about Harden, and how he finishes this season. I don't think the Sixers are locked into him for next year yet - it's a player option and I don't believe Harden triggered it yet. Given how he's playing now, I can't imagine him able to get more money somewhere else, but I think he's also looking for the next contract after next season. But given how bad Simmons is looking, just not having Simmons looks like a plus.
The Sixers absolutely came out ahead for this year on the Harden / Simmons trade. Maybe Simmons gets some grit and turns this around but I don't see anything in his past that makes me think that will happen.

I am glad Simmons isn't with the Blazers, Anfernee Simons > Ben Simmons at this point.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:32 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:02 am

The Sixers absolutely came out ahead for this year on the Harden / Simmons trade. Maybe Simmons gets some grit and turns this around but I don't see anything in his past that makes me think that will happen.

I am glad Simmons isn't with the Blazers, Anfernee Simons > Ben Simmons at this point.
With Ben, the Blazers were going to get a defensive minded player to offset Lillard's glaring deficiency. Anfernee is a shooter who's defense may be better than McCollum, but is nowhere near Ben's defensive prowess.

I am not on Anfernee's bandwagon yet. His sample size is just too small. I am hopeful and optimistic, but I am not sure he is a good fit alongside Lillard. Lillard can offset any shooter's weakness (Ben's), but Anfernee has a long way to go to get to the point where he can offset Lillard's defensive weakness.

(The names Simmons and Simons were too close, so I used their first names to distinguish who I was talking about).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Great game last night, right down to the last shot. Wolves had too many turnovers, and Ja had a great game.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:50 am Great game last night, right down to the last shot. Wolves had too many turnovers, and Ja had a great game.
I never had a doubt that the Wolves would cough it up. I see them winning game 6 and then finding a way to lose game 7. It's just what they do.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:41 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:50 am Great game last night, right down to the last shot. Wolves had too many turnovers, and Ja had a great game.
I never had a doubt that the Wolves would cough it up. I see them winning game 6 and then finding a way to lose game 7. It's just what they do.
Many thought they would get swept by the #2 seed, prior to the series beginning.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:57 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:41 am

Many thought they would get swept by the #2 seed, prior to the series beginning.
They are definitely an up-and-comer team. I've been really impressed with Edwards so far. But, KAT has been somewhat disappointing, even with his game yesterday.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:47 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:57 am

They are definitely an up-and-comer team. I've been really impressed with Edwards so far. But, KAT has been somewhat disappointing, even with his game yesterday.
Interesting statistic, the Wolves big 3, Towns, Edwards and Russell played together in 57 games this year. Last season they played together in 24 games. There is room for improvement.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Heading to Target Center tomorrow for game 6.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Famous players out of the NBA tournament (are we seeing a passing of the torch?).

LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Russell Westbrook
Damian Lillard
Julius Randle
Kawai Leonard
Paul George
Gordon Hayward
Kevin Durant
Kyrie Irving
James Harden
Nikola Jokic
Kevin Love
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:11 am Famous players out of the NBA tournament (are we seeing a passing of the torch?).

LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Russell Westbrook
Damian Lillard
Julius Randle
Kawai Leonard
Paul George
Gordon Hayward
Kevin Durant
Kyrie Irving
James Harden
Nikola Jokic
Kevin Love
Uh, the Sixers aren't actually done yet, no matter how much like dogs they played in Game 5.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:17 am
JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:11 am Famous players out of the NBA tournament (are we seeing a passing of the torch?).

LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Russell Westbrook
Damian Lillard
Julius Randle
Kawai Leonard
Paul George
Gordon Hayward
Kevin Durant
Kyrie Irving
James Harden
Nikola Jokic
Kevin Love
Uh, the Sixers aren't actually done yet, no matter how much like dogs they played in Game 5.
I forgot Harden was on the Sixers now :oops: . I should have put Ben Simmons :lol: .
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:17 am

I forgot Harden was on the Sixers now :oops: . I should have put Ben Simmons :lol: .
Well, Simmons is famous, but not much of a player these days.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:15 am
JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:34 am

I scored as many points in the playoffs as he did!
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:16 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:15 am

I scored as many points in the playoffs as he did!
But was your wardrobe as eclectic and meme-worthy?? :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Sixers righted the ship and played as they should and avoided having to come back to Philly for a Game 7. Now on to the Heat. I think it's going to be a long series, the Sixers have shown they can be wildly inconsistent, but they also match up pretty decently with the Heat. Should be pretty competitive.