2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:40 pm Ben Simmons suspended 1 game for conduct detrimental to team

Will Ben Simmons play for the 76ers again.

Star point guard Ben Simmons has been suspended one game for conduct detrimental to the team, the Philadelphia 76ers announced Tuesday. As a result, Simmons will not play in the 76ers’ season-opening game on Wednesday in New Orleans (8 ET, NBA League Pass).

The Sixers’ release reads as follows: “Ben Simmons has been suspended for one game due to conduct detrimental to the team. As a result, Simmons will miss the 76ers’ season opener at New Orleans tomorrow night.”

Per multiple reports, Simmons was thrown out of practice today by coach Doc Rivers for not being engaged in practice. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports the lack of participation and engagement by Simmons at practice has been a theme since his return. Simmons reportedly refused to participate in one stage of the practice session before being tossed, specifically not taking part in a defensive drill.

Additionally, Wojnarowski reports the Sixers have fined Simmons $1.4 million for his absence from four preseason games. The Sixers have also hit Simmons with numerous team fines for missed practices, on-court workouts and meetings. He has not earned any money since returning to the team on Oct. 11.

“I just thought he was a distraction today,” Rivers said Tuesday after practice. “I didn’t think he wanted to do what everybody else was doing. It was early. It wasn’t a big deal. I just told him he should leave. We went on with practice.”
No drama in Philly?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/324 ... son-opener

Doesn't sound like all is good between Simmons and Philly. Meanwhile, Lillard is set to play the season in Portland and Beal is set to play the year in DC. McCollum trade looking possible?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

To add about Lillard...

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/19/ ... peculation

Unlike most NBA superstars, Lillard is a straight shooter and generally will tell you how it is. Based on that, sounds like he's in for the season, good or bad.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:44 pm To add about Lillard...

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/19/ ... peculation

Unlike most NBA superstars, Lillard is a straight shooter and generally will tell you how it is. Based on that, sounds like he's in for the season, good or bad.
Like I said, it's all fine and well before any games are played, but if Portland is looking like a long shot at best to make the playoffs (and let's be honest, they're not a lock to make the playoffs this year), then the closer we get to the trading deadline means this could heat up again. Certainly not going to happen anytime soon, but a bad start to the year could change things.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:40 pm Ben Simmons suspended 1 game for conduct detrimental to team

Will Ben Simmons play for the 76ers again.

Star point guard Ben Simmons has been suspended one game for conduct detrimental to the team, the Philadelphia 76ers announced Tuesday. As a result, Simmons will not play in the 76ers’ season-opening game on Wednesday in New Orleans (8 ET, NBA League Pass).

The Sixers’ release reads as follows: “Ben Simmons has been suspended for one game due to conduct detrimental to the team. As a result, Simmons will miss the 76ers’ season opener at New Orleans tomorrow night.”

Per multiple reports, Simmons was thrown out of practice today by coach Doc Rivers for not being engaged in practice. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports the lack of participation and engagement by Simmons at practice has been a theme since his return. Simmons reportedly refused to participate in one stage of the practice session before being tossed, specifically not taking part in a defensive drill.

Additionally, Wojnarowski reports the Sixers have fined Simmons $1.4 million for his absence from four preseason games. The Sixers have also hit Simmons with numerous team fines for missed practices, on-court workouts and meetings. He has not earned any money since returning to the team on Oct. 11.

“I just thought he was a distraction today,” Rivers said Tuesday after practice. “I didn’t think he wanted to do what everybody else was doing. It was early. It wasn’t a big deal. I just told him he should leave. We went on with practice.”
No drama in Philly?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/324 ... son-opener

Doesn't sound like all is good between Simmons and Philly. Meanwhile, Lillard is set to play the season in Portland and Beal is set to play the year in DC. McCollum trade looking possible?
Simmons won't play for the Sixers again, that door has certainly been closed. Looks like it will be a Harden-type thing until they do trade him, which could still be several months from now.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

New season, same old Blazers. Get down big early, no defense, then try to get it all back in the 4th, culminating with Lillard making the final shot to either win or tie the game.

Relieved that the failures of the past have nothing to do with the roster. :ohno:

Giving up 38 points in both the second and third quarter to the Kings is inexcusable. Saturday, the Suns will kill us.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Wolves look good in a win against Houston, but how good is Houston?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Last night,

CJ McCollum, 34 points (14-24, 6-11 from 3), 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 1 blocked shot.

Ben Simmons, DNP-Suspension

Morey keeps holding out, Blazers will want to do straight across, McCollum for Simmons trade, with no draft picks.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:40 pm Last night,

CJ McCollum, 34 points (14-24, 6-11 from 3), 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 1 blocked shot.

Morey keeps holding out, Blazers will want to do straight across, McCollum for Simmons trade, with no draft picks.
I don't know if I'd make that trade if I was running the Blazers. Simmons is showing that how immature and selfish he is. Can he handle the coaching staff and Dame pushing him? If not, he's a cancer not worth giving up value for.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:45 pm

I don't know if I'd make that trade if I was running the Blazers. Simmons is showing that how immature and selfish he is. Can he handle the coaching staff and Dame pushing him? If not, he's a cancer not worth giving up value for.
Worth a chance. Thinking that all Simmons needs is a change of venue. Blazers need to try to build something that resembles a contender before Lillard starts to feel the effects of Father Time. Olshey needs to stop being satisfied with hitting singles, and instead swing for the fences. Like I mentioned on the Blazers' fanboard, the one person that kept Drexler from being great was Michael Jordan, the one person that has kept Lillard from being great is Neil Olshey. Get someone who can cover Lillard's main weakness. The top defensive player of the year, Gobert, is not available, but the runner-up is.

If it does blow up, then it blows up and both Lillard and Olshey are gone anyway, but at least they can say they took a shot. Better than doing nothing, which seems typical for Olshey lately.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

That little stunt in practice by Simmons, may have teams taking a closer look at, do they really want his baggage.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:41 pm
Worth a chance. Thinking that all Simmons needs is a change of venue. Blazers need to try to build something that resembles a contender before Lillard starts to feel the effects of Father Time. Olshey needs to stop being satisfied with hitting singles, and instead swing for the fences. Like I mentioned on the Blazers' fanboard, the one person that kept Drexler from being great was Michael Jordan, the one person that has kept Lillard from being great is Neil Olshey. Get someone who can cover Lillard's main weakness. The top defensive player of the year, Gobert, is not available, but the runner-up is.

If it does blow up, then it blows up and both Lillard and Olshey are gone anyway, but at least they can say they took a shot. Better than doing nothing, which seems typical for Olshey lately.
Maybe Simmons is being petulant in Philly but can be a different person in Portland. I'm not sure the past supports it though. I'm not nearly as rabid of a fan as you or Ganny but I don't see any evidence that he's put real effort into improving his weaknesses and that's not a good sign for him taking hard coaching well.

You might be right though. Taking a shot and failing is better than losing Lillard because he wants a championship. Portland owes him a shot.

Note: Drexler was a great player. He was just overshadowed by Jordan.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers-Sixers tonight in Philly. Maybe an audition for McCollum? Sixer fans and media can see exactly what they are getting if they trade the malcontent, instead of holding out hope for Lillard.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:03 am Blazers-Sixers tonight in Philly. Maybe an audition for McCollum? Sixer fans and media can see exactly what they are getting if they trade the malcontent, instead of holding out hope for Lillard.
Certainly could be. Maxey is certainly showing the Sixers may not need Simmons very much. And yes, no one's really seen McCollum, Portland tends to be overlooked when it comes to NBA games, other than Lillard highlights.

Of course, the other thing that could happen is Lillard gets to talking with Embiid, likes what he sees going on in Philly, and then when things either go south or just stay status quo in Portland, Lillard finally decides to decamp and go elsewhere.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:53 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:03 am Blazers-Sixers tonight in Philly. Maybe an audition for McCollum? Sixer fans and media can see exactly what they are getting if they trade the malcontent, instead of holding out hope for Lillard.
Certainly could be. Maxey is certainly showing the Sixers may not need Simmons very much. And yes, no one's really seen McCollum, Portland tends to be overlooked when it comes to NBA games, other than Lillard highlights.

Of course, the other thing that could happen is Lillard gets to talking with Embiid, likes what he sees going on in Philly, and then when things either go south or just stay status quo in Portland, Lillard finally decides to decamp and go elsewhere.
McCollum has been thriving so far with Lillard in this shooting slump. It could be that Olshey is reluctant to trade him now (I hope not).

I just think putting McCollum in that Sixers lineup would really make them dangerous. McCollum's shooting would really open up the inside for Embiid and Harris to go to work. McCollum is also accustomed to playing alongside an All-Star so he would not have to alter his game going from Lillard to Embiid. His main calling card is shooting and, while his defense has improved this season under Billups, he is not a great defender, but I think the Sixers have enough to cover his defensive weaknesses.

The Blazers could benefit from having Simmons in their lineup as the third guard. Without McCollum, Powell could move over to the shooting guard alongside Lillard and have Simmons in the lineup as well. Simmons would able to add some teeth to the Blazer defense and his big frame would allow them to put up resistance against the bigger lineups in the West, something that was clearly evident in the playoff series against Denver last year. Also, Simmons' guard skills could allow Lillard to operate more off-ball. Simmons' lack of shooting would not be a big concern on the Blazers either.

I really think it is a win-win for everyone. As good as the Sixers and Blazers are now, this trade has the potential to make both really dangerous.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:53 am

McCollum has been thriving so far with Lillard in this shooting slump. It could be that Olshey is reluctant to trade him now (I hope not).

I just think putting McCollum in that Sixers lineup would really make them dangerous. McCollum's shooting would really open up the inside for Embiid and Harris to go to work. McCollum is also accustomed to playing alongside an All-Star so he would not have to alter his game going from Lillard to Embiid. His main calling card is shooting and, while his defense has improved this season under Billups, he is not a great defender, but I think the Sixers have enough to cover his defensive weaknesses.

The Blazers could benefit from having Simmons in their lineup as the third guard. Without McCollum, Powell could move over to the shooting guard alongside Lillard and have Simmons in the lineup as well. Simmons would able to add some teeth to the Blazer defense and his big frame would allow them to put up resistance against the bigger lineups in the West, something that was clearly evident in the playoff series against Denver last year. Also, Simmons' guard skills could allow Lillard to operate more off-ball. Simmons' lack of shooting would not be a big concern on the Blazers either.

I really think it is a win-win for everyone. As good as the Sixers and Blazers are now, this trade has the potential to make both really dangerous.
Remember, the Sixers already have Curry on the floor - I don't know how weak McCollum is defensively but there's some danger having a second weak point out there. That's been the benefit of Maxey right now - he's been a much better defender than what they thought they were getting in him. If McCollum is just like having Curry out there then the Sixers already have that.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 am

Remember, the Sixers already have Curry on the floor - I don't know how weak McCollum is defensively but there's some danger having a second weak point out there. That's been the benefit of Maxey right now - he's been a much better defender than what they thought they were getting in him. If McCollum is just like having Curry out there then the Sixers already have that.
Well, see for yourself. It sounds like Embiid is out tonight. I was really looking forward to Nurkic having to go up against a true All-Star center. Nurkic loves to run his mouth about how he could be an All-Star if the Blazers would "use him correctly". :roll:

These 4pm tipoffs out here wreck havoc on me. When the game starts, I'll be wrapping up work and then have to deal with the commute home (its raining today so that will be pure hell tonight). Might have to catch the replay later.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:08 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 am

Well, see for yourself. It sounds like Embiid is out tonight. I was really looking forward to Nurkic having to go up against a true All-Star center. Nurkic loves to run his mouth about how he could be an All-Star if the Blazers would "use him correctly". :roll:

These 4pm tipoffs out here wreck havoc on me. When the game starts, I'll be wrapping up work and then have to deal with the commute home (its raining today so that will be pure hell tonight). Might have to catch the replay later.
I don't think you'll like the replay, Sixers just schooled them tonight, with over $100M sitting on the bench - Embiid sat out the game to rest and 40 min before the game Tobias Harris got yanked due to COVID protocols. Sixers didn't miss a beat, real balanced outside shooting (Curry and Korkmaz), Maxey looked great slashing to the hoop and playing defense, Thybulle is easily first team all NBA defense this year, and the two unheralded pickups in the offseason - Drummond and Niang - continue to look like genius moves.

Fans were real nice to Lillard, cheered him on at times. Philly is a nice place. :thumb:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:20 pm
JALMOND wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:08 pm

I don't think you'll like the replay, Sixers just schooled them tonight, with over $100M sitting on the bench - Embiid sat out the game to rest and 40 min before the game Tobias Harris got yanked due to COVID protocols. Sixers didn't miss a beat, real balanced outside shooting (Curry and Korkmaz), Maxey looked great slashing to the hoop and playing defense, Thybulle is easily first team all NBA defense this year, and the two unheralded pickups in the offseason - Drummond and Niang - continue to look like genius moves.

Fans were real nice to Lillard, cheered him on at times. Philly is a nice place. :thumb:
With both Embiid and Harris out, Nurkic should have dominated as most All-Stars would. I may call myself an All-Star, but that certainly doesn't mean I am one. He thinks he's on the same level as Jokic and that it is all how the Blazers utilize him. But a game like this where he should have been the dominate force, he just wilts.

This was the biggest pile of smelly poo I've seen in a long time, from all the Blazers. Carryover from the second half against Charlotte the night before. Sad.

As far as Lillard, I'd cheer him on with every miss he had, too, if I was the opponent. :D
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:01 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:20 pm

With both Embiid and Harris out, Nurkic should have dominated as most All-Stars would. I may call myself an All-Star, but that certainly doesn't mean I am one. He thinks he's on the same level as Jokic and that it is all how the Blazers utilize him. But a game like this where he should have been the dominate force, he just wilts.

This was the biggest pile of smelly poo I've seen in a long time, from all the Blazers. Carryover from the second half against Charlotte the night before. Sad.

As far as Lillard, I'd cheer him on with every miss he had, too, if I was the opponent. :D
Yeah, I don't see anything special in Nurkic. But like I said, I think people seriously overlooked Drummond. I thought he was done, but then again I thought he was 10 years older than he is (he's still just 28 y/o). Dude's got a lot of game left. Sixers made a huge trade up by getting Drummond and letting Howard walk away to the Lakers.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:20 pm Fans were real nice to Lillard, cheered him on at times. Philly is a nice place. :thumb:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Seem to have an issue posting a link. :?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Embid out for 10 days with positive Covid test.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:11 pm Embid out for 10 days with positive Covid test.
Yeah, Sixers haven't had more than 8 guys suited up for several games now. Just got Danny Green back last night, but still have no Embiid, no Harris, no Simmons (obviously), no Thybulle, Furkan missed a game I think, and they didn't have Milton for several games to start the year. Considering all that, they've had a great start to the year. Eventually you wonder if missing all these guys eventually impacts the record - probably would've beaten the Knicks last night with a few more healthy players.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Newest dirty player in the NBA: Nikola Jokic.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nikola-jok ... 00138.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.