Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Golden Era Vote

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Your Selections from the Golden Era List - Select up to 10

Poll ended at Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:44 am

Roger Maris
21%
Dick Allen
11%
Ken Boyer
No votes
Gil Hodges
16%
Jim Kaat
16%
Minnie Miñoso
5%
Danny Murtaugh
No votes
Tony Oliva
13%
Billy Pierce
No votes
Maury Wills
18%

Total votes: 38

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Golden Era Vote

Post by Gil Dobie »

Who would you vote for?

The Era Committees will both meet on Dec. 5 at baseball's winter meetings in Orlando, Fla. The results of the committees' votes will be announced live on MLB Network's "MLB Tonight" at 5 p.m. CST Sunday, Dec. 5.

Any candidate who receives votes on 75% of the ballots cast by either 16-member committee will earn election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and will be inducted in Cooperstown on July 24, 2022, along with any electees who emerge from the 2022 Baseball Writers’ Association of America election, to be announced Jan. 25, 2022.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Golden Era Vote

Post by Winterborn »

I am partial to Roger Maris.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Jim Kaat gets overlooked a lot, 16 Gold Gloves, 2nd to Greg Maddux 18, 283 wins.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

How are Roger Maris and Maury Wills NOT in the HOF? I voted for those two, plus Kaat and Gil Hodges.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Allen, Hodges, and Oliva. Maris was a one-year wonder.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Met Tony Oliva when I was around 10yo at Yankee Stadium. Friend's father played with him in the minors.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:00 am Allen, Hodges, and Oliva. Maris was a one-year wonder.
With 2 MVP Awards, 4 time all star, gold glove winner. Still the AL home run record. Can't tell the history of baseball without mentioning Maris. Like Oliva, career numbers were down due to injury.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 am
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:00 am Allen, Hodges, and Oliva. Maris was a one-year wonder.
With 2 MVP Awards, 4 time all star, gold glove winner. Still the AL home run record. Can't tell the history of baseball without mentioning Maris. Like Oliva, career numbers were down due to injury.
And a career .260 hitter. Oliva was .304.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:05 am Met Tony Oliva when I was around 10yo at Yankee Stadium. Friend's father played with him in the minors.
Went to a Boys and Girls Club event at spring training. Oliva was signing autographs. All I had was an index card. Oliva looks at it, makes a couple jokes and won't sign it. I start to walk away, and Tony yells hey, throws me a brand new ball with a fresh signature. Items like that are keepers for me. Still sits on my desk.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:33 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:05 am Met Tony Oliva when I was around 10yo at Yankee Stadium. Friend's father played with him in the minors.
Went to a Boys and Girls Club event at spring training. Oliva was signing autographs. All I had was an index card. Oliva looks at it, makes a couple jokes and won't sign it. I start to walk away, and Tony yells hey, throws me a brand new ball with a fresh signature. Items like that are keepers for me. Still sits on my desk.
:thumb: :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:32 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 am

And a career .260 hitter. Oliva was .304.
There are hall of famer with that type of average. High average is not a requirement.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Heck, I can see why none of these guys are in the Hall yet, their career numbers don't really jump out at all. Of all of them, maybe Hodges is my only pick. Kaat is just there because he pitched in 4 different decades, Maris is just there because of the home run chase in '61 (I had no idea he was so average outside of those two years), and the rest are just blah. If any sizeable number get in from this list it just lessens the allure of getting into the HOF by a little bit.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:38 am Heck, I can see why none of these guys are in the Hall yet, their career numbers don't really jump out at all. Of all of them, maybe Hodges is my only pick. Kaat is just there because he pitched in 4 different decades, Maris is just there because of the home run chase in '61 (I had no idea he was so average outside of those two years), and the rest are just blah. If any sizeable number get in from this list it just lessens the allure of getting into the HOF by a little bit.
Minnie Minoso had a great career. 13 all star games, career .299 hitter. Speed and RBI guy with some power.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:29 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:38 am Heck, I can see why none of these guys are in the Hall yet, their career numbers don't really jump out at all. Of all of them, maybe Hodges is my only pick. Kaat is just there because he pitched in 4 different decades, Maris is just there because of the home run chase in '61 (I had no idea he was so average outside of those two years), and the rest are just blah. If any sizeable number get in from this list it just lessens the allure of getting into the HOF by a little bit.
Minnie Minoso had a great career. 13 all star games, career .299 hitter. Speed and RBI guy with some power.
Sure, he had a good career, but that doesn't mean it's a HOF career. Nice stats, but nothing that jumps off the table - never had more than 31 steals in a year (and often was just in the teens), and he only averaged 9 HR's a year (max was 24 once). Like I said, he was a good ball player and had a nice career, I just don't see the case for the HOF.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Maris deserves to be in just because of how those asshole Yankmee fans treated him in '61. Fucker should have beat a couple of 'em with his bat and maybe they'd have shut up. I've hated the Yankmees ever since.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:35 am
Maris deserves to be in just because of how those asshole Yankmee fans treated him in '61. Fucker should have beat a couple of 'em with his bat and maybe they'd have shut up. I've hated the Yankmees ever since.
So a Yankee player, because of how he was treated by Yankee fans, deserves to be in the HOF? We'll need to have a whole new wing built to house players like that since they are legion. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 am

So a Yankee player, because of how he was treated by Yankee fans, deserves to be in the HOF? We'll need to have a whole new wing built to house players like that since they are legion. :coffee:
No player (in my lifetime) has ever been treated the way Maris was treated. He deserves is OWN fucking wing.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 am

Can you tell the history of baseball without mentioning Roger Maris?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 am

Sure, he had a good career, but that doesn't mean it's a HOF career. Nice stats, but nothing that jumps off the table - never had more than 31 steals in a year (and often was just in the teens), and he only averaged 9 HR's a year (max was 24 once). Like I said, he was a good ball player and had a nice career, I just don't see the case for the HOF.
He was a rookie at 25, back when it took time to get into the majors if you were black. May have been close to 3000 hits with 5 more good seasons.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:04 am

He was a rookie at 25, back when it took time to get into the majors if you were black. May have been close to 3000 hits with 5 more good seasons.
But they included his stats from the Negro Leagues going back to when he was 21 - that only brings him up to 2110 hits. Granted, those seasons weren't as long, but he was nowhere near a 3000 hit career even with that taken into consideration. His best year was 184 hits, so it would've taken a lot more than 5 years (and he already played 20 years) to get up to that plateau. When he first started playing for the Indians, he wasn't good enough to stay on the roster (nothing to do with being Black, other Black players were on the roster too and the Indians were stacked at the time) so he bounced down to the Minors before getting a break with a trade to the White Sox. Heck, he's been on the Golden Era Vote ballot multiple times now and he's never been picked, so people have certainly gone over his stats. Real good player. Not a HOF'er.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am

But they included his stats from the Negro Leagues going back to when he was 21 - that only brings him up to 2110 hits. Granted, those seasons weren't as long, but he was nowhere near a 3000 hit career even with that taken into consideration. His best year was 184 hits, so it would've taken a lot more than 5 years (and he already played 20 years) to get up to that plateau. When he first started playing for the Indians, he wasn't good enough to stay on the roster (nothing to do with being Black, other Black players were on the roster too and the Indians were stacked at the time) so he bounced down to the Minors before getting a break with a trade to the White Sox. Heck, he's been on the Golden Era Vote ballot multiple times now and he's never been picked, so people have certainly gone over his stats. Real good player. Not a HOF'er.
If he was a Phillie you'd be all over his hall pass. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

He was Jackie Robinson for Cubans.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

They don't have complete stats for the Negro League yet. Plus other things came into play.

Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda called him ‘the Jackie Robinson for all Latinos.

“He wasn’t in the starting lineup for Cleveland because they had too many Black players. There was this unofficial quota, period, in baseball that you can’t start more Black players than White players,” explained University of Illinois historian Dr. Adrian Burgos, who served on the Hall of Fame’s 2006 Negro League election committee. “There’s all these practices that limited his opportunities. Yet, when he got the opportunity, he shined.”

From 1951 to 1960, Miñoso made nine All-Star teams, won three gold gloves, and finished top four in MVP voting four times.

“We are talking about a guy who very well might have been the second best player in the American League in the ’50s behind Mickey Mantle,” opined national columnist for The Athletic Joe Posnanski, “He was in that mix. He was that good of a player.”
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 pm

They don't have complete stats for the Negro League yet. Plus other things came into play.

Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda called him ‘the Jackie Robinson for all Latinos.

“He wasn’t in the starting lineup for Cleveland because they had too many Black players. There was this unofficial quota, period, in baseball that you can’t start more Black players than White players,” explained University of Illinois historian Dr. Adrian Burgos, who served on the Hall of Fame’s 2006 Negro League election committee. “There’s all these practices that limited his opportunities. Yet, when he got the opportunity, he shined.”

From 1951 to 1960, Miñoso made nine All-Star teams, won three gold gloves, and finished top four in MVP voting four times.

“We are talking about a guy who very well might have been the second best player in the American League in the ’50s behind Mickey Mantle,” opined national columnist for The Athletic Joe Posnanski, “He was in that mix. He was that good of a player.”
Convince me that he's any different from Amos Otis (who's not in the HOF either). I agree, Minnie has the intangibles (came out of the Negro Leagues, was the Jackie Robinson for Cubans, etc), and he had a very good career. But again, this is the HOF, it should be about what you did, not what your story is.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 pm

If he was a Phillie you'd be all over his hall pass. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nonsense, as a Phillies fan, I'm conditioned to know that the great players in Phillies history are few and far between. We are the losingest franchise in the history of sports you know. :thumb: