2022 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2022 Motorsports Thread

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:50 pm Oh shit, that's right. NASCAR still exists. How's it going?
LA Coliseum was awful. Props for the idea, but it was a bad one.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:56 pm
93henfan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:50 pm Oh shit, that's right. NASCAR still exists. How's it going?
Edited my last post. I watched LA. I like short tracks, but that was too short. Cars do look good.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

And having an ‘intermiision’ so they could have Ice T sing a few songs. NASCAR with gangsta rap. WTF? :suspicious:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:45 am

And having an ‘intermiision’ so they could have Ice T sing a few songs. NASCAR with gangsta rap. WTF? :suspicious:
The intermission wasn't an excuse to have Ice T. It's a common thing at short track races, which the Coliseum race was.

Of course, there aren't that many paved short track courses anymore; they're mainly dirt courses, which NASCAR has almost completely written off the schedule for a long time at the highest level.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:58 pm
The intermission wasn't an excuse to have Ice T. It's a common thing at short track races, which the Coliseum race was.
Actually, there are never intermissions during regular NASCAR Cup races for entertainers. They did one for this exhibition race, which is the first intermission I've ever seen in a NASCAR Cup race in roughly 45 years of watching. And of course, it was expressly for Ice T's performance.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Technically, there was an "intermission" of sorts last year. At the Food City Dirt Race, they staged four heats the day before the "main event," and overnight served as the "intermission." It would have been more fun had they done it like SRX did last year, with inverted track order heats leading up to a main event after a same-day intermission. They do it like that at low-level NASCAR/ARCA tracks, and it would be neat to see that at national-level NASCAR events....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Haas has fired Soviet driver Nikita Mazepin and ended a sponsorship agreement with a Soviet fertilizer company owned by Mazepin's father. FIA had ruled that he could continue to drive so long as he did so under a neutral flag and promoted peace, but Haas fired him anyway.

https://sports.yahoo.com/haas-f1-team-f ... p_catchall

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Just heard that Greg Biffle is back in NASCAR, driving the 44 car. His title sponsor is Grambling....

https://heavy.com/sports/nascar/greg-bi ... las-vegas/

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Correction: Biffle's first race this year featured a Grambling theme because his NY Racing team has a contract with several HBCUs. Today, he's featuring FL A&M....

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:31 pm Correction: Biffle's first race this year featured a Grambling theme because his NY Racing team has a contract with several HBCUs. Today, he's featuring FL A&M....
Should have gotten Bubba Wallace as the driver..

Or better yet Kyle Larson… :lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Woohoo! Motor racing finally starts this week!!

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3349 ... f1-testing
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:43 pm Woohoo! Motor racing finally starts this week!!

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3349 ... f1-testing

1 week til opening race. :clap:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

2022 bold predictions: I'm thinking Ferrari dominates the first 3-4 races (after all, they quit 2021 before it started to focus on this new platform for 2022), Red Bull is steady throughout the season, and Mercedes dominates the second half of the season. Hamilton gets the 8th championship that was stolen from him by Masi, cements his GOAT status, and retires.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:34 pm 2022 bold predictions: I'm thinking Ferrari dominates the first 3-4 races (after all, they quit 2021 before it started to focus on this new platform for 2022), Red Bull is steady throughout the season, and Mercedes dominates the second half of the season. Hamilton gets the 8th championship that was stolen from him by Masi, cements his GOAT status, and retires.
Yeah I have no idea what to expect. Hoping for another exciting season and an excuse to cheer for Haas again.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:39 pm
93henfan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:34 pm 2022 bold predictions: I'm thinking Ferrari dominates the first 3-4 races (after all, they quit 2021 before it started to focus on this new platform for 2022), Red Bull is steady throughout the season, and Mercedes dominates the second half of the season. Hamilton gets the 8th championship that was stolen from him by Masi, cements his GOAT status, and retires.
Yeah I have no idea what to expect. Hoping for another exciting season and an excuse to cheer for Haas again.
I'd love for Haas to not suck, and for an American driver to appear from the ether.

But it ain't lookin' good.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Strong prediction. I would love to see Ferrari dominate more. I would love to see Haas perform better than expected but someone has to tend to p19 and p20.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

And here I am hopping that Hamilton hits the wall every other race. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:56 am
It's nice for someone not named Hamilton to be defending a title. I'd really love to see a fight break out with Ferrari taking more and more podiums. LilCCU is a Ferrari fan so that's who we'll be rooting for starting this sunday.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:24 am

It's nice for someone not named Hamilton to be defending a title. I'd really love to see a fight break out with Ferrari taking more and more podiums. LilCCU is a Ferrari fan so that's who we'll be rooting for starting this sunday.
Agree, I like it when there are more teams that are competitive. It leads to better/exciting racing, IMHO.

But then again I am a Mercedes fan (outside of Hamilton who I root against).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:24 am

Using today's populist definition, I probably am. :ohno:

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:29 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:24 am

Agree, I like it when there are more teams that are competitive. It leads to better/exciting racing, IMHO.

Interesting that you'd be a Mercedes but not a Hamilton fan, as he's been a driver with them for all but three of the years that they've been a constructor in the modern era of F1. (2010 to present, after last being a constructor in 1955)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:29 am

Interesting that you'd be a Mercedes but not a Hamilton fan, as he's been a driver with them for all but three of the years that they've been a constructor in the modern era of F1. (2010 to present, after last being a constructor in 1955)
Can't I be a fan of precision engineering without liking their main driver?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 am
93henfan wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 am

There are eight other teams with precision engineering

Maybe nine some day if Haas gets right.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:57 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 am

There are eight other teams with precision engineering

Maybe nine some day if Haas gets right.
True. I am also German, so slightly biased.

And that is all I got.