2022 BBWAA Baseball Hall of Fame Ballott

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Who would you vote for? Vote for more than 1 if you want, *First Year

Poll ended at Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Curt Schilling
16%
Barry Bonds
12%
Roger Clemens
16%
Scott Rolen
No votes
Omar Visquel
8%
Billy Wagner
No votes
Todd Helton
8%
Gary Sheffield
No votes
Andrew Jones
No votes
Jeff Kent
No votes
Manny Ramirez
4%
Sammy Sosa
12%
Torii Hunter
No votes
*Alex Rodriquez
8%
*David Ortiz
16%

Total votes: 25

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

2022 BBWAA Baseball Hall of Fame Ballott

Post by Gil Dobie »

Who gets in this year?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2022 BBWAA Baseball Hall of Fame Ballott

Post by Gil Dobie »

Think Ortiz gets in. That's about it. Was thinking Visquel, but his batboy stuff probably nixes that
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I voted Bonds, Clemens, Helton, Ramirez, Sosa, A-rod and Ortiz.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Clemens, Schilling, Scioscia, Rose....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

*Andruw

I say nobody gets in.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 pm I voted Bonds, Clemens, Helton, Ramirez, Sosa, A-rod and Ortiz.
My two cents is that anybody that took steroids shouldn't be inducted. Or if so, put an asterisk by their name stating that they were on performance enhancing substances.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:14 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 pm I voted Bonds, Clemens, Helton, Ramirez, Sosa, A-rod and Ortiz.
My two cents is that anybody that took steroids shouldn't be inducted. Or if so, put an asterisk by their name stating that they were on performance enhancing substances.
might as well eliminate just about everybody who played between 1994-2005 then.

Personally, I look at it as a fairly level playing field....don't really care about steroids.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:32 am

Personally, I look at it as a fairly level playing field....don't really care about steroids.
There are already suspected PED users in the Hall. It is good to see that the biggest names have to wait longer than normal to be elected. Ortiz might be the first to get a known pass. If I was commissioner, I would act like the NCAA. Look at the obvious years the player was associated to be using steroids and wipe that year from their records. How would I determine that? For example, the years Bonds was tied to Balco, erase those, the year Sosa was found with the cork bat, erase that year. Carry a big MF stick with an eraser on the end. Same with Clemens and what he misremembered; he won't have to remember again.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 am

There are already suspected PED users in the Hall. It is good to see that the biggest names have to wait longer than normal to be elected. Ortiz might be the first to get a known pass. If I was commissioner, I would act like the NCAA. Look at the obvious years the player was associated to be using steroids and wipe that year from their records. How would I determine that? For example, the years Bonds was tied to Balco, erase those, the year Sosa was found with the cork bat, erase that year. Carry a big MF stick with an eraser on the end. Same with Clemens and what he misremembered; he won't have to remember again.
1. I wouldn't vote any of them in until they passed away.
2. Agree with the erasure of certain years. With that, I would vote Bonds and Clemens in because they had a body of work pre-PED use that is worthy enough.
3. No Sosa, ever.
4. I'm not sure about Ortiz. I would have to hear the arguments for and against his admittance.
5. Andy Pettitte, yes. :kisswink:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Agreed - pitchers and hitters were hitting the juice.

I voted Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, Visquel, Clemens, Ortiz
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Meh. way too much work and too much bullshit. Much like the reason they're keeping Rose out of the HOF is bullshit. Take the "power" away from the BBWAA and give it to a different body. Fucking journalists are pansy-ass pantywaists....
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:28 am

The roid users overshadow the great players of the era that didn't us steroids. Griffey Jr, Thomas, Schilling, Jeter, Ripken Jr, etc. Schillings big obstacle is his relationship with the media.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 am

The roid users overshadow the great players of the era that didn't us steroids. Griffey Jr, Thomas, Schilling, Jeter, Ripken Jr, etc. Schillings big obstacle is his relationship with the media.
Which is why the power should be taken from the media.

And no they don't. Every one of those guys is either in or will be in. How are the "overshadowed"?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 am

And no they don't. Every one of those guys is either in or will be in. How are the "overshadowed"?
Who looks like a better player for example, Griffey Jr with 630 home runs, or A-Roid with 696, Bonds 762, Sosa 609. Griffey was better than any of them, but the stats are skewed, and future generations will summarize differently because of the stats. Griffey didn't have the quick recovery that roids offer, to help him recover quickly for the next game.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:58 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 am

Who looks like a better player for example, Griffey Jr with 630 home runs, or A-Roid with 696, Bonds 762, Sosa 609. Griffey was better than any of them, but the stats are skewed, and future generations will summarize differently because of the stats. Griffey didn't have the quick recovery that roids offer, to help him recover quickly for the next game.
If I were ranking those players as "hitters", I'd go Bonds, Griffey, A-Roid, Sosa....so I'm still not seeing your point. There's more to stats than HR's.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:06 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:58 am

If I were ranking those players as "hitters", I'd go Bonds, Griffey, A-Roid, Sosa....so I'm still not seeing your point. There's more to stats than HR's.
Bonds had over-inflated stats from age 35 on, 317 HR's, inflated average, inflated slugging. I'll take Grifey any day.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I went with Schilling, Vizquel, and Helton (stayed away from known steroids guys). With the steroids, you had guys like pre-late-90's who used them, and then you had the late 90's and on guys. No one said much about it before then, but once it came up, guys starting to lie about it (I'm not sure Bonds has ever admitted to it). I'm no Andy Pettite fan, but at least when faced with the clear evidence that he cheated, he admitted to cheating. Baseball has this weird problem, almost exclusive to baseball, that they couldn't ever possibly admit to gaining an advantage. It's another of those ridiculous "unspoken" baseball rules. Weird.

As for the HOF guys, let's face it, Schilling would be a sure thing if he hadn't gotten politically opinionated well after leaving the game. The HOF does itself a disservice when it ignores the play on the field and keeps a guy out because of somebody's opinions well after playing and having nothing to do with the sport itself. Vizquel is in the mold of the Ozzie Smith, Luis Apricio type SS's, if they got in, so should he. And Helton gets knocked for playing at altitude, but his OPS+ was great throughout his career so it wasn't all just the home ballpark.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 pm I went with Schilling, Vizquel, and Helton (stayed away from known steroids guys). With the steroids, you had guys like pre-late-90's who used them, and then you had the late 90's and on guys. No one said much about it before then, but once it came up, guys starting to lie about it (I'm not sure Bonds has ever admitted to it). I'm no Andy Pettite fan, but at least when faced with the clear evidence that he cheated, he admitted to cheating. Baseball has this weird problem, almost exclusive to baseball, that they couldn't ever possibly admit to gaining an advantage. It's another of those ridiculous "unspoken" baseball rules. Weird.

As for the HOF guys, let's face it, Schilling would be a sure thing if he hadn't gotten politically opinionated well after leaving the game. The HOF does itself a disservice when it ignores the play on the field and keeps a guy out because of somebody's opinions well after playing and having nothing to do with the sport itself. Vizquel is in the mold of the Ozzie Smith, Luis Apricio type SS's, if they got in, so should he. And Helton gets knocked for playing at altitude, but his OPS+ was great throughout his career so it wasn't all just the home ballpark.
What hurts Vizquel is his alleged exhibiting his erection to a batboy on multiple occasions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 pm I went with Schilling, Vizquel, and Helton (stayed away from known steroids guys). With the steroids, you had guys like pre-late-90's who used them, and then you had the late 90's and on guys. No one said much about it before then, but once it came up, guys starting to lie about it (I'm not sure Bonds has ever admitted to it). I'm no Andy Pettite fan, but at least when faced with the clear evidence that he cheated, he admitted to cheating. Baseball has this weird problem, almost exclusive to baseball, that they couldn't ever possibly admit to gaining an advantage. It's another of those ridiculous "unspoken" baseball rules. Weird.

What hurts Vizquel is his alleged exhibiting his erection to a batboy on multiple occasions.
See, I had no idea about that. :dunce:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:23 am

1. I wouldn't vote any of them in until they passed away.
2. Agree with the erasure of certain years. With that, I would vote Bonds and Clemens in because they had a body of work pre-PED use that is worthy enough.
3. No Sosa, ever.
4. I'm not sure about Ortiz. I would have to hear the arguments for and against his admittance.
5. Andy Pettitte, yes. :kisswink:
1 and 2 I could get behind and like Gil said it overshadow's those that didn't. Personally I would still put an asterisk by their name. They chose to break the rules, doesn't matter if everybody was doing it or not.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

You sure all of them are 100% clean?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:06 am

Bonds had over-inflated stats from age 35 on, 317 HR's, inflated average, inflated slugging. I'll take Grifey any day.
Bonds was a HOF before he had to change hat sizes
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:10 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 pm

See, I had no idea about that. :dunce:
me either...creepy
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:34 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am

Bonds was a HOF before he had to change hat sizes
Yes he was, this was a comparison to Griffey. Griffey had a great career and phases out as he got older. Bonds hit 35 and had a 2nd hall of fame career.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:33 pm

You sure all of them are 100% clean?
Have you heard anything about these guys?