2022 World Cup

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

2022 World Cup

Post by SuperHornet »

The Draw, with two spots left to fill....

Group Stage
Groups A, B, E, F at Al Bayt Stadium, Khalifa International Stadium, Al Thumama Stadium, and Ahmad bin Ali Stadium
Groups C, D, G, H at Lusail Iconic Stadium, Stadium 974, Education City Stadium, and Al Janoub Stadium

Group A
Matches 21, 25, 29 NOV 22

Qatar (H)
Ecuador
Senegal
Netherlands

Group B
Matches 21, 25, 29 NOV 22

England
Iran
United States
Wales

Group C
Matches 22, 26, 30 NOV

Argentina
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Poland

Group D
Matches 22, 26, 30 NOV 22

France
AFC-COMEBOL winner
Denmark
Tunisia

Group E
Matches 23, 27 NOV, 01 DEC 22

Spain
CONCACAF-OFC winner
Germany
Japan

Group F
Matches 23, 27 NOV, 01 DEC 22

Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Group G
Matches 24, 28 NOV, 02 DEC 22

Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Group H
Matches 24, 28 NOV, 02 DEC 22

Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

Knockout Stage

Round of 16
03-06 DEC 22

Group A winner vs. Group B runner-up
Group C winner vs. Group D runner-up
Group E winner vs. Group F runner-up
Group G winner vs. Group H runner-up
Group B winner vs. Group A runner-up
Group D winner vs. Group C runner-up
Group F winner vs. Group E runner-up
Group H winner vs. Group G runner-up

Quarterfinals
09-10 DEC 22

A1-B2 winner vs. C1-D2 winner
E1-F2 winner vs. G1-H2 winner
B1-A2 winner vs. D1-C2 winner
F1-E2 winner vs. H1-G2 winner

Semifinals
13-14 DEC 22

QF1 winner vs. QF2 winner
QF3 winner vs. QF4 winner

Third Place Game
17 DEC 22
Khalifa Stadium

SF1 loser vs. SF2 loser

Finals
18 DEC 22
Lusail Stadium

SF1 winner vs. SF2 winner

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: 2022 World Cup

Post by SuperHornet »

SH's Predictions

Group A

NED
ECU
SEN
QAT

Group B

USA
ENG
WAL
IRI

Group C

MEX
ARG
POL
KSA

Group D

FRA
AUS
DEN
TUN

Group E

ESP
GER
CRC
JPN

Group F

CAN
BEL
MOR
CRO

Group G

BRA
SUI
CMR
SRB

Group H

POR
GHA
KOR
URU

Knockout State

Round of 16

B2 ENG d. A1 NED
C1 MEX d. D2 AUS

E1 ESP d. F2 BEL
G1 BRA d. H2 GHA

B1 USA d. A2 ECU
D1 FRA d. C2 ARG

E2 GER d. F1 CAN
H1 POR d. G2 SUI

Quarterfinals

B2 ENG d. C1 MEX
E1 ESP d. G1 BRA

D1 FRA d. B1 USA
E2 GER d. H1 POR

Semifinals

E1 ESP d. B2 ENG
D1 FRA d. E2 GER

Bronze Medal

E2 GER d. B2 ENG

Gold Medal

E1 ESP d. D1 FRA

Final Standings
Knockout State Qualifiers Only

1. ESP
2. FRA
3. GER
4. ENG
5. BRA
6. POR
7. USA
8. MEX
9. NED
10. ARG
11. SUI
12. BEL
13. CAN
14. AUS
15. ECU
16. GHA

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

What a mess FIFA created several years ago when they took the bribes and gave the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

First, Qatar, being tiny, had to build a slew of stadiums to be able to put on this World Cup (it should be noted that the country that lost out to Qatar because of the bribes, the US, already had in place more than enough existing stadiums to be able to host the World Cup - heck, we might have enough to simultaneously host two World Cups). Qatar, being tiny, has to import laborers to do work like this, and apparently there has been widespread workplace fatalities (in at least the hundreds of fatalities, if not thousands) surrounding the building of these stadiums.

Second, Qatar, being in the desert, included in their bid package that all of these new stadiums would be air conditioned, thus allowing the World Cup to go on as planned, in the summer of 2022. Because summer, in the desert, is pretty hot. After their bribes won them the right to host the event, they backtracked on the air conditioning - apparently air conditioning 12 stadiums, many of which are open air stadiums, in the middle of the desert during the summer, is prohibitively expensive, if even possible at all. Oh, and rather than 12 stadiums as was part of the bid package, Qatar cut that back to 8 stadiums. Apparently there is no need for 12 world class soccer stadiums in a country that is slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut and has about half the population of Connecticut. I'm sure 8 is too many too, but hey, that didn't come up during the bribing.

Third, since the air conditioning that was part of the bid package was removed since it was unrealistic, they had a problem because human beings couldn't possibly be able to healthily play a sport in the middle of the desert in the middle of the summer. So, for the first time ever, and in direct conflict with every major soccer league in the world, the World Cup had to be moved to the winter. Every major league has had to cease operations during the middle of their seasons and the duration of the World Cup had to be condensed a little bit to even allow for that. And the leadup to the World Cup has been cut from 4-6 weeks of prep time (national teams don't really get together all that often) to about 2 weeks.

Fourth, considering that Qatar is a fundamentalist Muslim country, one that frowns on women being able to make decisions on their own, and one that is ardently opposed to any non-heterosexual concept or practice, FIFA has kindly let all players know that they should keep their mouths shut, dress as they are told to dress, and just play soccer as they're told to do.

And finally, fifth, despite assurances from FIFA and Qatar that there would be alcohol sales in the stadiums during games throughout the World Cup (significant as since Qatar is a fundamentalist Muslim country, public alcohol consumption is strictly prohibited), Qatar waited until two days before the first game (and likely after many fans not only paid to go to Qatar, but could possibly even be there already) to do a complete 180 and pronounce that there will be no alcohol in any of the venues for the entirety of the tournament. But no worries, non-alcoholic beer will still be available.

It's had to come up with an even more fanciful outcome than what this has been so far, but then again, there hasn't even been a game played yet so there's plenty of time to add to this story. Who would've thought all of this from just a few little bribes. :nod:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Yeah, this whole thing is a fiasco.
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Whoever negotiated that agreement screwed the pooch. That agreement should have included significant penalties for not meeting the requirements for number of stadiums, air conditioning and alcohol sales.

FIFA has only themselves to blame.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:20 am Whoever negotiated that agreement screwed the pooch. That agreement should have included significant penalties for not meeting the requirements for number of stadiums, air conditioning and alcohol sales.

FIFA has only themselves to blame.
I'm sure the guys who were bribed and still basking in the privileges and luxuries that illicit wealth provides are not shedding a single tear that this has devolved into a fiasco. Heck, I'm not sure they're even going to watch.
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

Soccer!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Week 1

Sunday's Game

Group A: Ecuador d. Qatar (H) 2-0

I only saw from about 15 min or so in to about 40 min or so, but that was enough to see that Qatar has no business in this tournament; they're only here because they're hosting. Within the first 20 minutes, two Qatar players had been booked, including the goalie, who's yellow caused a penalty kick that easily made the net. At the half hour mark, a third Qatar player was in the book, and the second goal (by the same player who knocked in the penalty kick) went it. I was at church after that, so I presume that Ecuador cruised the rest of the way.

Monday's Games

Group B: England vs. Iran 0500 PST
Group A: Senegal vs. Netherlands 0800 PST
Group B: USA vs. Wales 1100 PST

Tuesday's Games

Group C: Argentina vs. Saudi Arabia 0200 PST
Group D: Denmark vs. Tunisia 0500 PST
Group C: Mexico vs. Poland 0800 PST
Group D: France vs. Australia 1100 PST

Wednesday's Games

Group F: Morocco vs. Croatia 0200 PST
Group E: Germany vs. Japan 0500 PST
Group E: Spain vs. Costa Rica 0800 PST
Group F: Belgium vs. Canada 1100 PST

Thursday's Games

Group G: Switzerland vs. Cameroon 0200 PST
Group H: Uruguay vs. South Korea 0500 PST
Group H: Portugal vs. Ghana 0800 PST
Group G: Brazil vs. Serbia 1100 PST

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

I loved that Qatar lost, and the Ecuadorian crowd was chanting "Queremos Cerveza" (We want beer)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Not sure why Aaronson isn't in the starting lineup for the US - he's a difference maker and things happen when he's on the field. Berhalter has never really liked him, which is another reason not to like Berhalter.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Strange to watch the US dominate possession like they're doing. Normally don't do that versus a European side. A quick showing of two yellows on the US, hope that doesn't come back to haunt them. One was warranted, other was just too quick by the ref.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

That goal's been coming all half - great run by Pulisic and great finish from Weah. Pulisic has had a nice game so far, and this is a good piece from him.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Couldn't ask for a better first half, except for maybe fewer yellows. And possibly having more than just the one goal. Had a lot of the play, but only had a couple of genuine scoring chances. Still, I'll take it.

Wouldn't mind Aaronson coming on for Sargent - not sure exactly what Sargent does out there.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

And now 1-1 after Wales get a penalty. Thing I can't stand about soccer is the impact of the referee on the match. Only a baseball home plate umpire can have more of an impact and even that's questionable. The cards haven't been consistent in this game and Bale certainly flopped to draw the penalty. Wales have been better than the US in the second half and the US hasn't adjusted, still time though.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Eh, would've liked the win. 1-1 tie, will depend on how each do against England and Iran. Gotta steal a point from England if possible, that would go a long way. Iran looked shaky throughout their game today, I think this version of the US team should be able win that. Not sure why Gio Reyna didn't see any action. He's got to be on the field at some point.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

That penalty is going to be called all the time. It was a stupid foul since Bale was not facing the goal in the box.

Agree ref was bad and very inconsistent. With the way we played the 2nd half, we were playing not to lose mostly (and they were more aggressive) and that was bound to happen

Great Pulisic to Weah goal.

We need to at least tie England or they’ll have nothing to play for against Wales and won’t necessarily play to win that match.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:45 pm That penalty is going to be called all the time. It was a stupid foul since Bale was not facing the goal in the box.

Agree ref was bad and very inconsistent. With the way we played the 2nd half, we were playing not to lose mostly (and they were more aggressive) and that was bound to happen

Great Pulisic to Weah goal.

We need to at least tie England or they’ll have nothing to play for against Wales and won’t necessarily play to win that match.
Players afterwards were even complaining about the side judge - apparently just before the ball got played in to Bale that resulted in the penalty the ball had gone out of bounds but wasn't called.

I'm not sure why international games always need to have such bad officiating. You see it in other sports when the games go international (FIBA is notorious for this in basketball). The need to have as many countries represented by officials just means you're going to end up with some officials that aren't very experienced or good. I'd be in favor of less diversity in officiating if it meant having the best officials on the field in the most important games.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Argentina loses to SAUDI ARABIA.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:45 am Argentina loses to SAUDI ARABIA.
EA Sports had Argentina as the favorite coming in (had them winning after they came out top on the simulated games - I think EA Sports has picked several of the most recent champions). Still time to recover, and Poland and Mexico playing a 0-0 draw means Argentina hasn't lost any ground they can't recover yet. But if you can lose to Saudi Arabia, you can really lose to anyone. Interesting to see how the next two games turn out.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:03 pm Eh, would've liked the win. 1-1 tie, will depend on how each do against England and Iran. Gotta steal a point from England if possible, that would go a long way. Iran looked shaky throughout their game today, I think this version of the US team should be able win that. Not sure why Gio Reyna didn't see any action. He's got to be on the field at some point.
England laid the smackdown on Iran!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

In 4 yrs UNCLE SAM will be the host!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

This was briefly mentioned on WFAN NY SPORTS RADIO
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:07 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:03 pm Eh, would've liked the win. 1-1 tie, will depend on how each do against England and Iran. Gotta steal a point from England if possible, that would go a long way. Iran looked shaky throughout their game today, I think this version of the US team should be able win that. Not sure why Gio Reyna didn't see any action. He's got to be on the field at some point.
Indeed. Could be a real good England team. Just getting a point from them is going to be difficult.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:08 pm
dal4018 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:07 pm

Indeed. Could be a real good England team. Just getting a point from them is going to be difficult.
Ghana is my favorite they close get but end up with nothing!!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:45 am Argentina loses to SAUDI ARABIA.
I know a Argentina Citizen and she is not a happy camper right now.