SCALIA DEAD!!!!!!!

Political discussions
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Re: SCALIA DEAD!!!!!!!

Post by JoltinJoe »

A legal giant who defined constitutional discourse for over a generation.

Disliked by people who are influenced by soundbites and read nothing but headlines -- and by liberal social activists who believe the courts should act like legislatures.
Last edited by JoltinJoe on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:
andy7171 wrote:Nothing says class like dancing on the grave of an honorable man.

If it was about an honerable man I would agree with you

But anybody that compares me to a pedophile can rot in hell the **** asshole bastard
Jon, you can rest assured that Justice Scalia didn't even know you existed.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The last time there was a SCOTUS vacancy on an election year was 1936. There is a reason these judges don't generally step down on an election year and a reason judges are appointed ans not elected.

BTW, if you're conks in congress, by all means let Obama try to put an unqualified liberal bisexual Japanese-American woman (or whatever group is on deck for the next appointment) right before an election.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Very bad news for those wanting to maintain even a remote semblance of Constitutional government. The Republicans need to just make it known that they will not approve anybody Obama nominates. Just say it's not happening and that the next President will fill the vacancy. We'll see if they have the guts to do it. The nation needs for them to show some courage and not let that guy get another "I don't give a **** about the Constitution" justice on the Supreme Court
IMHO, there are two outcomes here (whether it's an ugly confirmation process or not): Obama will significantly shape the Court for years to come with the appointment of a liberal judge. Or a centrist judge will be appointed.

I think as masterful as Obama has been flexing his Executive powers over the fractured Legislative branch, he's going to face a united Republican Senate and a liberal judge will not get through. From the start, Obama will realize he's up against a wall here and he's going to nominate a fairly non-partisan judge.

While it's in their power to do so, the Republicans will look horrendous if they make it ugly and draw it out until the next Presidency. The media and public, rightfully so, will turn on them. It'd be political suicide for the Republicans in an election year and so I think Obama will get his third appointment.
Don't be such a f'ing drama queen. All the Republicans have to say is that since Scalia was a conservative constructionist, they will onlu confirm a justice who is seen as a conservative constructionist. If Obama doesn't appoint a conservative constructionsist, the SCOTUS can make due with 8 justices for the time being. Won't hurt the senate republicans in the sleightist..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Pwns wrote:The last time there was a SCOTUS vacancy on an election year was 1936. There is a reason these judges don't generally step down on an election year and a reason judges are appointed ans not elected.

BTW, if you're conks in congress, by all means let Obama try to put an unqualified liberal bisexual Japanese-American woman (or whatever group is on deck for the next appointment) right before an election.

Wrong Ronald Reagan appointed Anthony Kennedy in 1988 in his last year
:thumb:
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

A great legal mind has passed, his strength was that he did not make the constitution a document to be changed by a whim of the moment.
Just once the GOP Senate needs to have some huevos
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

This is absurd. Let him be buried all ready.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: IMHO, there are two outcomes here (whether it's an ugly confirmation process or not): Obama will significantly shape the Court for years to come with the appointment of a liberal judge. Or a centrist judge will be appointed.

I think as masterful as Obama has been flexing his Executive powers over the fractured Legislative branch, he's going to face a united Republican Senate and a liberal judge will not get through. From the start, Obama will realize he's up against a wall here and he's going to nominate a fairly non-partisan judge.

While it's in their power to do so, the Republicans will look horrendous if they make it ugly and draw it out until the next Presidency. The media and public, rightfully so, will turn on them. It'd be political suicide for the Republicans in an election year and so I think Obama will get his third appointment.
Don't be such a f'ing drama queen. All the Republicans have to say is that since Scalia was a conservative constructionist, they will onlu confirm a justice who is seen as a conservative constructionist. If Obama doesn't appoint a conservative constructionsist, the SCOTUS can make due with 8 justices for the time being. Won't hurt the senate republicans in the sleightist..
Strike a nerve much? Does social change scare you?

edit: I don't particularly care if the Senate doesn't vote for a candidate until the next Presidency if that's the excuse they want to go with. But the GOP better win the election 'cause if it doesn't, the court will be liberal for many decades to come. It just won't be Scalia anymore...
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:
Ibanez wrote: He was a real justice. Oh, that's right, anyone that doesn't share your POV is evil, bad, unreal and a piece of shit.

Such intolerance. :ohno:

He was intolerant of me. If Scalis had his way my upcoming marriage would be illegal

So he can rot in hell.
Oh, the irony.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Don't be such a f'ing drama queen. All the Republicans have to say is that since Scalia was a conservative constructionist, they will onlu confirm a justice who is seen as a conservative constructionist. If Obama doesn't appoint a conservative constructionsist, the SCOTUS can make due with 8 justices for the time being. Won't hurt the senate republicans in the sleightist..
Strike a nerve much? Does social change scare you?

edit: I don't particularly care if the Senate doesn't vote for a candidate until the next Presidency if that's the excuse they want to go with. But the GOP better win the election 'cause if it doesn't, the court will be liberal for many decades to come. It just won't be Scalia anymore...
No strucken nerve. :roll: Just responding to a :dunce: statement that the Republicans would look "horrendous" by not allowing Obama appointment.

Allow an Obama appoint = a liberal appointment
Appointment in 2017 = maybe a liberal appointment or maybe a conservative depending on the election results.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:
Pwns wrote:The last time there was a SCOTUS vacancy on an election year was 1936. There is a reason these judges don't generally step down on an election year and a reason judges are appointed ans not elected.

WRONG libtard. Reagan nominated Kennedy in 1987 for a SCOTUS vacancy that had come open in June of 1987 with Justice Powell's retirement. That vacancy was filled by Kennedy's confirmation in Feb of 1988.

Pwns was right- Its been 80 years since 1936 since a SCOTUS vacancy OCCURED during an election year.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

JoltinJoe wrote:A legal giant who defined constitutional discourse for over a generation.

Disliked by people who are influenced by soundbites and read nothing but headlines -- and by liberal social activists who believe the courts should act like legislatures.
Good riddance to the homophobic rAZist.

He was a piece of shit just like your beloved pedophiles, Joe.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:

whoa

Reagan appointed a moderate?

lets see who Obama appoints

at this juncture a pardon and an appointment for Mumia wouldnt surprise me
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
andy7171 wrote:Nothing says class like dancing on the grave of an honorable man.

But anybody that compares me to a pedophile can rot in hell the **** asshole bastard
well if your gay marriage is ok with "God" then I'm pretty sure the old testament is wrong about heaven and hell too
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Sri Srinivasan is being thrown out as the man Obama will nominate. He was confirmed to the DC Circuit with a 97-0 vote (including McConnell, Rubio, Cruz) and is Obama's principal deputy solicitor general.

He'd be hard for the GOP to argue against with that 97-0 record:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Here's an interesting obit from Slate.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... stice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoiler: show
Slate! Gotcha! :mrgreen: It actually frames his career in a positive light, describing him more as an old crazy semi-bigoted uncle you can forgive than an evil conk. I do appreciate his work on free speech and 4th amendment rights. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote:Sri Srinivasan is being thrown out as the man Obama will nominate. He was confirmed to the DC Circuit with a 97-0 vote (including McConnell, Rubio, Cruz) and is Obama's principal deputy solicitor general.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:nod:

Rubio warned last night that Obama and Reid would ram a liberal down our throat. If Obama appoints a moderate that had unanimous support from both parties in a prior appointment, the Republicans come out looking dishonest and silly. Not that that's stopped them before.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Jim Obergefell, the lead plaintiff’s in the blockbuster case that legalized gay marriage across the country last year, on Saturday expressed his sympathy for the passing of one of the court’s most outspoken voices against same-sex marriage.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Sri Srinivasan is being thrown out as the man Obama will nominate. He was confirmed to the DC Circuit with a 97-0 vote (including McConnell, Rubio, Cruz) and is Obama's principal deputy solicitor general.

Rubio warned last night that Obama and Reid would ram a liberal down our throat. If Obama appoints a moderate that had unanimous support from both parties in a prior appointment, the Republicans come out looking dishonest and silly. Not that that's stopped them before.
I said this two pages ago. :coffee: He'll find a Kagan or Souter type and try to schmooze him-her through.

And 97-0 at the Circuit Court level doesn't guarantee smooth sailing at the SCOTUS level. Circuit judges usually fly below the radar screen. John Roberts was confirmed to the DC Circuit by voice vote and had 22 negative votes for SCOTUS.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

WRONG libtard. Reagan nominated Kennedy in 1987 for a SCOTUS vacancy that had come open in June of 1987 with Justice Powell's retirement. That vacancy was filled by Kennedy's confirmation in Feb of 1988.

Pwns was right- Its been 80 years since 1936 since a SCOTUS vacancy OCCURED during an election year.
No you fucking moron Kennedy was nominated in November 1987 not confirmed until February 1988

The longest a vacancy is ever been 130 days

President Obama still has 340 days left in his presidency

President Obama was duly elected twice he still the president is constitutional duty to nominate the Supreme Court Justice If the Senate will not follow their job and they should all resign
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

well if your gay marriage is ok with "God" then I'm pretty sure the old testament is wrong about heaven and hell too

I don't need my marriage to be OK I need it to be OK with the Constitution

But you just pointed out one reason why he was one of the worst justices ever he was a ruling based on the Bible is not on the Constitution
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:

I said this two pages ago. :coffee: He'll find a Kagan or Souter type and try to schmooze him-her through.

And 97-0 at the Circuit Court level doesn't guarantee smooth sailing at the SCOTUS level. Circuit judges usually fly below the radar screen. John Roberts was confirmed to the DC Circuit by voice vote and had 22 negative votes for SCOTUS.
Agreed that it doesn't guarantee smooth sailing. But would it be such a wide swing in votes that he couldn't get a majority? Something would be very odd about that.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:

Agreed that it doesn't guarantee smooth sailing. But would it be such a wide swing in votes that he couldn't get a majority? Something would be very odd about that.
It would be very odd, indeed. And it shouldn't be that way. But ever since Ted Kennedy and Joe Biden poisoned the well at the Bork confirmation hearings, followed shortly thereafter by the televised theater of Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas, SCOTUS nominations have been politicized beyond repair.

And the Donks started it. :ohno:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

dbackjon wrote:

But anybody that compares me to a pedophile can rot in hell the fucking asshole bastard
Link? :?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't care what happened in the past. Just don't go along with allowing Obama to get a Justice on the Supreme Court to replace Scalia. I've heard talk that he might be able to do it anyway through some kind of "recess appointment" within a narrow window just before he leaves office and congress is transitioning. Though I'm sure he'd try that if he thinks there's any possible way he can "interpret" the Constitution to mean he can appoint a permanent Supreme Court Justice in a way that never involves the advice and consent of the Senate. But if he's going to try that let him try it and we'll see what happens from there. Do NOT cooperate with him in any way. He does not believe in following the Constitution and he's not going to select anybody who believes in following the Constitution.

Ok Good. Looks like he's screwed as long as they stand their ground and maintain enough seats in the Senate to block things through filibuster if the next President decides to try to re-appoint whoever Obama would stick in temporarily.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/02/is-a- ... an-option/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do not let Obama replace Scalia. Just DON'T do it no matter what. They have the power to keep him from doing it and they need to exercise that power.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came