Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

The Late Great Democrat Party

Post by BDKJMU »

"Republicans added to their historic 2014 gains in the nation’s state legislatures with the addition of five state House chambers and two state Senate chambers in last week’s election, while Democratic control was reduced to levels not seen since the Civil War.

Republicans are now in control of a record 67 (68 percent) of the 98 partisan state legislative chambers in the nation, more than twice the number (31) in which Democrats have a majority, according to the bipartisan National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL).

“That’s more than at any other time in the history of the Republican Party,” according to NCSL. “They also hold more total seats, well over 4,100 of the 7,383, than they have since 1920.”

Next year, the GOP will control both legislative chambers in 32 states - an all-time high, according to NCSL - while Democrats will have total control of just 13 state legislatures.

In 24 of the 32 states with Republican-controlled legislatures, voters have also elected Republican governors. In contrast, Democrats have a “political trifecta” in just six states.

Since 2009, when President Obama took office, his party has lost a total of 919 seats in state legislatures nationwide, according to NCSL data.

In 2009, Democrats had total control of 27 state legislatures, and held a majority in at least one chamber in eight more states where power was divided. In contrast, Republicans controlled just 14 state legislatures.

During Obama’s first year in office, Democrats held 1,024 of the 1,971 total state Senate seats in the nation, compared to 889 in Republican hands. They also held 3,058 of the total 5,411 state House seats, compared to 2,334 for Republicans.

In addition, there were 28 Democratic governors, compared to 22 Republican governors.

However, near the end of Obama’s two terms in office, the partisan balance in the nation's state legislatures has been completely reversed.

As of Nov. 7, 2016, there are just 823 Democratic state senators out of a total of 1,972 seats nationwide, according to NCSL data. Meanwile, Republicans have increased their ranks to 1,089.

Likewise, of the 5,411 state House seats, there are now 3,029 Republicans compared to 2,340 Democrats – a mirror image of both parties’ status in 2009.

The Democrats’ prior advantage in the nation’s governors’ mansions when Obama took office has also been lost. There are currently 31 Republican governors, 18 Democratic governors and one Independent (Gov. Bill Walker of Alaska).

“Republicans grabbed more of America’s statehouses and governors' mansions during the Obama administration than at any time in the modern era,” the Washington Post’s Amber Phillips reported.

Last week’s historic flip of the Kentucky House - the last Democrat-controlled legislative chamber in the South - to Republican hands for the first time in nearly 100 years underscores the point....

....“Democrats are now basically extinct in the South,” Phillips noted....

.....”Anyone who said that Donald Trump was going to be a drag on down-ticket races is certainly eating their words right now,” Lisa Nelson, CEO of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)....."
http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/barba ... atures-all
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: The Late Great Democrat Party

Post by SDHornet »

Meanwhile the establishment Donks (and leftist media) are doubling down on the strategy that just lost them the 2016 election....and possibly nominating Keith Ellison as DNC chair....a dude with ties to radical muslins. Shit's gonna get real good...this is JSO level of retard. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

"....Republican Phil Scott won in Vermont over Democrat Sue Minter who was criticized, like presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, for failing to develop an economic message that resonated with voters worried about good-paying jobs.

Considered a liberal bastion, Vermont has a tradition of sometimes choosing a Republican governor to keep one party from having too much control.

Elsewhere, Republican Chris Sununu will replace a Democratic governor in New Hampshire while Maine and Massachusetts already have Republican governors.

“We lost the governorship of freaking Vermont,” lamented Washington-based Democratic strategist Chris Kofinis. “We didn’t just lose an election. This was a national rebuke. This was biblical.”....."
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/democrats-sea ... 17153.html
:lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Here's the challenge for Democrats: trying to win back the Rustbelt, Midwest and South when 2/3 of the blue delegation is from California, New York, and the Northeast.

Democrats truly have become the elitist limousine liberal crowd, completely out of touch with the working lower middle class people of America.

The problem is, there is a shitload of them (lim libs), so look for this thread to be bumped in 2020, 2024, and/or some midterms in between. The Bubble will still be around.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Republicans will screw this up by pushing through social issues like bathroom bills.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:Meanwhile the establishment Donks (and leftist media) are doubling down on the strategy that just lost them the 2016 election....and possibly nominating Keith Ellison as DNC chair....a dude with ties to radical muslins. Shit's gonna get real good...this is JSO level of retard. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Huh? Doubling down on what strategy? :suspicious:

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (btw, fuck you for making me type your long stupid hyphenated last name) and Donna Brazil were progressive Bernie supporters?

I agree that choosing a Muslim in this climate bares risks but I'm guessing Ellison has no stronger ties to radical Islam than Trump or Clinton do.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Meanwhile the establishment Donks (and leftist media) are doubling down on the strategy that just lost them the 2016 election....and possibly nominating Keith Ellison as DNC chair....a dude with ties to radical muslins. ****'s gonna get real good...this is JSO level of retard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (btw, **** you for making me type your long stupid hyphenated last name) and Donna Brazil were progressive Bernie supporters?

I agree that choosing a Muslim in this climate bares risks but I'm guessing Ellison has no stronger ties to radical Islam than Trump or Clinton do.
Ellison was a keynote speaker for an organization that Dick Durbin and Chucky Schumer stated having terrorist ties, CAIR. Later changed their mind on what they said.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (btw, **** you for making me type your long stupid hyphenated last name) and Donna Brazil were progressive Bernie supporters?

Ellison was a keynote speaker for an organization that Dick Durbin and Chucky Schumer stated having terrorist ties, CAIR. Later changed their mind on what they said.
Yeah that what I suspected. And CAIR probably has no greater terrorist ties than the Saudi government... or Huma Abedin... :mrgreen:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Yeah that what I suspected. And CAIR probably has no greater terrorist ties than the Saudi government... or Huma Abedin... :mrgreen:
So they do have terrorist ties then. :mrgreen:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Nobody should hyperventilate about this election. We still have a duopoly, with two minor fringe parties that take some votes here and there. I don't see this changing anytime soon. If there was ever a year for a strong centrist third party to emerge, this was it. :twocents:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:Nobody should hyperventilate about this election. We still have a duopoly, with two minor fringe parties that take some votes here and there. I don't see this changing anytime soon. If there was ever a year for a strong centrist third party to emerge, this was it. :twocents:
Said the National Review sycophant... :tothehand: :)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Nobody should hyperventilate about this election. We still have a duopoly, with two minor fringe parties that take some votes here and there. I don't see this changing anytime soon. If there was ever a year for a strong centrist third party to emerge, this was it. :twocents:
...who voted for Gary Johnson and had to endure the stinging ridicule of 93hunfan and 89hun for his trouble. Not to mention a boatload of henna-haired party animals who voted for Trump, or have come to terms with him.

Show me some FACTS that prove that the two-party system is doomed. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
...who voted for Gary Johnson and had to endure the stinging ridicule of 93hunfan and 89hun for his trouble. Not to mention a boatload of henna-haired party animals who voted for Trump, or have come to terms with him.

Yikes! I was just pitching you some shit!

I'm sure you'll be a card carrying member of the alt-right in short order. :mrgreen:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Meanwhile the establishment Donks (and leftist media) are doubling down on the strategy that just lost them the 2016 election....and possibly nominating Keith Ellison as DNC chair....a dude with ties to radical muslins. Shit's gonna get real good...this is JSO level of retard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (btw, fuck you for making me type your long stupid hyphenated last name) and Donna Brazil were progressive Bernie supporters?

See 93's response for when I talk about "doubling down". DNC needed to purge itself, instead it's sticking with the status quo....a status quo widely rejected by the unwashed masses.

Ellison was affiliated with the Nation of Islam (see anti-Semite) well into his 30's. Good luck to the DNC in retaining all that Jew money with that kind of guy in charge.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:
kalm wrote:

See 93's response for when I talk about "doubling down". DNC needed to purge itself, instead it's sticking with the status quo....a status quo widely rejected by the unwashed masses.

Ellison was affiliated with the Nation of Islam (see anti-Semite) well into his 30's. Good luck to the DNC in retaining all that Jew money with that kind of guy in charge.
1). I don't know where 93's response is.

2). Ellison's Nation of Islam affiliation is no more a close tie to Islamic terrorism than Obama's kissing the ring.

(Although I have heard that the Jews have a secret crush on the Saudis)
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

-
I sure hope they pick Ellison.

I've seen the good cap'n make the same prediction of the demise of the Republican party twice over the years. 1St one was when he used to post on AGS. Never a good idea... things can swing back quick.

Muslim Brotherhood-Tied Group Paid for Keith Ellison to Visit Mecca in 2008
Free Beacon ^ | November 21, 2016 | Brent Scher

The House Ethics Committee opened an investigation into Rep. Keith Ellison (D., Minn.) after he failed to disclose that a group founded by members of the Muslim Brotherhood paid for him to make a pilgrimage to the Islamic holy site of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

Top Democrats have considered shifting to the left by electing Ellison party chairman, but critics say his previous association with radical groups should disqualify him from the leadership role. Ellison has associated with the Muslim American Society, a Virginia-based group founded by Muslim Brotherhood members in 1993 to act as the “overt arm of the...

Via Daily Caller:

Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison, the favorite to take over as chairman of the Democratic National Committee, campaigned in 2009 for a Libya-born activist who once called on Palestinians to embrace “the jihad way” in order to get free of Israeli control.

The activist, Esam Omeish, a former candidate for Virginia state delegate, has also praised one of the founders of Hamas and commended the work of Palestinian suicide bombers.

Omeish’s positions had been publicized when Ellison, the first Muslim ever elected to Congress, headlined the July 2009 fundraiser for Omeish, who served as president from 2004 to 2008 of the Muslim American Society, a Muslim Brotherhood-linked group.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Also note that the MSA-Muslim Brotherhood ties were identified by a Federal prosecutor in 2008.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:

Yikes! I was just pitching you some ****!

I'm sure you'll be a card carrying member of the alt-right in short order. :mrgreen:
Naah, those guys are crazy and pretty awful people. I'll settle for being a loyal Conk! ;)
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

Ellison Cancels NY Times Interview When He Finds Out He Will Be Asked About Farrakhan
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

Former Sanders Spokesperson We Don’t Need White People Leading The Democratic Party Now

Via Mediaite:

While discussing the merits of Howard Dean‘s candidacy to lead the Democratic National Committee, former Bernie Sanders spokesperson and current CNN contributor Symone Sanders called for diversity at the top levels of the DNC, and said, “we don’t need white people leading the Democratic party right now.”
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ellison is a 9-11 truther, which to me says a lot more about him than his ties to CAIR or the Nation of Islam.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:"Republicans added to their historic 2014 gains in the nation’s state legislatures with the addition of five state House chambers and two state Senate chambers in last week’s election, while Democratic control was reduced to levels not seen since the Civil War.

Republicans are now in control of a record 67 (68 percent) of the 98 partisan state legislative chambers in the nation, more than twice the number (31) in which Democrats have a majority, according to the bipartisan National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL).

“That’s more than at any other time in the history of the Republican Party,” according to NCSL. “They also hold more total seats, well over 4,100 of the 7,383, than they have since 1920.”

Next year, the GOP will control both legislative chambers in 32 states - an all-time high, according to NCSL - while Democrats will have total control of just 13 state legislatures.

In 24 of the 32 states with Republican-controlled legislatures, voters have also elected Republican governors. In contrast, Democrats have a “political trifecta” in just six states.

Since 2009, when President Obama took office, his party has lost a total of 919 seats in state legislatures nationwide, according to NCSL data.

In 2009, Democrats had total control of 27 state legislatures, and held a majority in at least one chamber in eight more states where power was divided. In contrast, Republicans controlled just 14 state legislatures.

During Obama’s first year in office, Democrats held 1,024 of the 1,971 total state Senate seats in the nation, compared to 889 in Republican hands. They also held 3,058 of the total 5,411 state House seats, compared to 2,334 for Republicans.

In addition, there were 28 Democratic governors, compared to 22 Republican governors.

However, near the end of Obama’s two terms in office, the partisan balance in the nation's state legislatures has been completely reversed.

As of Nov. 7, 2016, there are just 823 Democratic state senators out of a total of 1,972 seats nationwide, according to NCSL data. Meanwile, Republicans have increased their ranks to 1,089.

Likewise, of the 5,411 state House seats, there are now 3,029 Republicans compared to 2,340 Democrats – a mirror image of both parties’ status in 2009.

The Democrats’ prior advantage in the nation’s governors’ mansions when Obama took office has also been lost. There are currently 31 Republican governors, 18 Democratic governors and one Independent (Gov. Bill Walker of Alaska).

“Republicans grabbed more of America’s statehouses and governors' mansions during the Obama administration than at any time in the modern era,” the Washington Post’s Amber Phillips reported.

Last week’s historic flip of the Kentucky House - the last Democrat-controlled legislative chamber in the South - to Republican hands for the first time in nearly 100 years underscores the point....

....“Democrats are now basically extinct in the South,” Phillips noted....

.....”Anyone who said that Donald Trump was going to be a drag on down-ticket races is certainly eating their words right now,” Lisa Nelson, CEO of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)....."
http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/barba ... atures-all
Looks like all of our problems are over now that the party that has controlled 60% of all government in the nation for years has now added to their lead. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Guys, the underlying demographic trends still favor the Democrats. Unless something changes with respect to Republicans losing overwhelmingly among non Whites the inevitable outcome will be the Democratic Party dominating.

I don't think that's a good thing. But it's what's going to happen unless the Republicans find a way to change that dynamic. It's a question of when rather than if.

For example: 2016 exit polling I can find only includes polling for four Southern States. Can't find ANY 2012 State polling . But I can find 2008. And when I compare 2008 to 2016 exit polling for the four States for which exit polling I can find is available this is what I see:

As you can see the percent non White population in each State is increasing and, in each State, non Whites vote overwhelmingly Democrat. More overwhelmingly where the largest non White group is Black (North Carolina and Georgia). But also overwhelmingly where the largest non White group is Hispanic (Florida and Texas).

It's just a matter of time unless the Republicans change that underlying dynamic. What they're enjoying now is broad but not deep. A time will come when a critical point is crossed and the overwhelming support for Democrats among non Whites will...well...overwhelm the advantage Republicans have among Whites.

The Republicans are losing the war. It's kind of like Hitler taking on the world and enjoying short term success. Like the Japanese nailing Pearl Harbor and running amuck for a while. The underlying realities were not good for them with respect to who would win in the end. And they're not good now for the Republican Party.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:Guys, the underlying demographic trends still favor the Democrats. Unless something changes with respect to Republicans losing overwhelmingly among non Whites the inevitable outcome will be the Democratic Party dominating.

I don't think that's a good thing. But it's what's going to happen unless the Republicans find a way to change that dynamic. It's a question of when rather than if.

For example: 2016 exit polling I can find only includes polling for four Southern States. Can't find ANY 2012 State polling . But I can find 2008. And when I compare 2008 to 2016 exit polling for the four States for which exit polling I can find is available this is what I see:

As you can see the percent non White population in each State is increasing and, in each State, non Whites vote overwhelmingly Democrat. More overwhelmingly where the largest non White group is Black (North Carolina and Georgia). But also overwhelmingly where the largest non White group is Hispanic (Florida and Texas).

It's just a matter of time unless the Republicans change that underlying dynamic. What they're enjoying now is broad but not deep. A time will come when a critical point is crossed and the overwhelming support for Democrats among non Whites will...well...overwhelm the advantage Republicans have among Whites.

The Republicans are losing the war. It's kind of like Hitler taking on the world and enjoying short term success. Like the Japanese nailing Pearl Harbor and running amuck for a while. The underlying realities were not good for them with respect to who would win in the end. And they're not good now for the Republican Party.
As you can see the Democrat Party does not have the market cornered on racist and bigots.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: For example: 2016 exit polling I can find only includes polling for four Southern States. Can't find ANY 2012 State polling . But I can find 2008. And when I compare 2008 to 2016 exit polling for the four States for which exit polling I can find is available this is what I see:

John, this tells me nothing. First, let's see the Dem/Rep numbers from 2008. Second, remember that voters were romancing the idea of the first non-white POTUS and the first female POTUS. So those numbers are skewed compared to all previous elections. Third, Trump is the first to blatantly say to the face of minorities that they need to wake up because the way they have voted for years is not helping them. There has been quite a few blacks that have been preaching this on TV the past 6 months. If there is some way that Trump can improve their lives with economic opportunities that Obama could not provide, then the shift will begin to occur and the Dems are the ones that will become bankrupt.