2017 NASCAR Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2017 NASCAR Thread

Post by 93henfan »

Viewership and attendance are down for most sports. It's partly economic, partly generational. Younger folks now are just less committed to everything. Not a bad thing, but a real thing. It makes sense, as they've grown up with a shit economy and failing institutions everywhere.

Just look at Cleets' signature bar if you want to see a front running faggot's "commitment". :lol: :kisswink:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

93henfan wrote:Viewership and attendance are down for most sports. It's partly economic, partly generational. Younger folks now are just less committed to everything. Not a bad thing, but a real thing. It makes sense, as they've grown up with a shit economy and failing institutions everywhere.

Just look at Cleets' signature bar if you want to see a front running faggot's "commitment". :lol: :kisswink:
That's the nice thing for me.

I can be called many things, but a front runner isn't one.

Twins
T'Wolves
Wild
Vikings
UNI
Tottenham

Ain't nothing front runner about me.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

clenz wrote:
89Hen wrote: Hey, the real answer is ratings and attendance don't affect your enjoyment of the sport. Like me with the NHL.

But in a way, the sky is kinda falling 93. Attendance is down. Viewership is down. Attendance at the NASCAR HOF is down. It's not a pretty picture.
So you would also argue that baseball is on the verge of collapsing as well, right?

Over half the league was down vs 2015. Which was down vs 2014. Which was down vs 2013 and so on and so on back through about 2007. 11 teams down at least 100,000 fans.

Only 7 teams drew at least 3 million fans, and 4 of them are trending backwards.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the Cubs winning 100 games and the Blue Jays having no where to go but up with attendance numbers, it's be really bad looking charts.
:suspicious: Quite the leap there Clenzy. NFL figures are way down too. Doesn't mean that the NFL is on the verge of collapsing, but you can bet the higher-ups in the NFL don't like seeing those numbers. PGA Tour numbers have dropped tremendously with Tiger not around. Doesn't mean the Tour is about to fold up the tents, but it does have an impact and the players will be feeling it. NASCAR has the big TV deal for now, but unless things change, you could see smaller and smaller deals in the future. Track owners are having to look at other events to keep themselves going (see UT/VT football game at Bristol).
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:Viewership and attendance are down for most sports. It's partly economic, partly generational. Younger folks now are just less committed to everything. Not a bad thing, but a real thing. It makes sense, as they've grown up with a shit economy and failing institutions everywhere.

:lol:

Glad someone else finally called him out on it.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Danica Patrick loses primary sponsor right before start of season.
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/02/06/ ... akery.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:Danica Patrick loses primary sponsor right before start of season.
Nature's Bakery.... it's riding around in her jumpsuit.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

NASCAR died when Tony Stewart left.................Just like the NBA I wont watch anymore.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:
Nature's Bakery.... it's riding around in her jumpsuit.
I wonder how much longer can the charade go on? Entering her 6th season, 5th full time. 154 races running top equipment, ZERO wins, ZERO top 5s..The ROI for for being good looking with 2 tits and a slit only lasts but for so long and gets you but so far.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:
89Hen wrote: Nature's Bakery.... it's riding around in her jumpsuit.
I wonder how much longer can the charade go on? Entering her 6th season, 5th full time. 154 races running top equipment, ZERO wins, ZERO top 5s..The ROI for for being good looking with 2 tits and a slit only lasts but for so long and gets you but so far.
She did sit on a pole once.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

T-minus 4 hours until they roll out for first practice (Clash only) at Daytona. FoxSports 1.

NASCAR is back! :clap:

FWIW, Jr is not racing in the Clash. He deferred to Alex Bowman in appreciation of him filling in last season.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

They ran the first practice session for the 500 today, a four hour session. Penske cars and Fords in general were the class of the field, constituting seven of the top ten. Logano first and Keselowski third. Hendrick and Gibbs cars were mediocre, mostly in the 10-20 range. Jr was the second fastest Hendrick car in eleventh.

The new Camry looks really odd on the track. They have two lower front non-functional air dams that are concave and look non-aerodynamic to me.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

22 takes the Clash.

24 takes the pole for the 500.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/long-in-vi ... 9?mod=e2fb

With the first big race of the new season set for Sunday, Nascar’s problems seem to have spun out of control.

About a decade ago, the sport was a cultural icon and inspired the hit car-racing comedy movie “Talladega Nights,” starring Will Ferrell. Since 2005, Nascar’s television viewership is down 45%, according to an analysis of Nielsen ratings by SportsBusiness Daily, a trade publication. That is twice as large as the National Basketball Association’s decline from its peak. National Football League viewership has fallen 8%, Nielsen data show.

Tracks have torn out about a fourth of their seats to look fuller but still have wide stretches of empty bleachers on race days. Nascar’s fan base, largely working-class and white, is getting older overall and was hit harder by the recession than the more-affluent fan bases in other major sports.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

They failed to make sponsor payments. She didn't "lose" the sponsor. They up and quit on her, so her team fired them. Huge difference.

And don't worry. She found a new one. Aspen Dental ain't so bad. Heck, some of you might find that better than this car on the Xfinity circuit with Liberty University as lead sponsor. Hee hee....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote:
They failed to make sponsor payments. She didn't "lose" the sponsor. They up and quit on her, so her team fired them. Huge difference.
:? :suspicious: :dunce:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote:

And don't worry. She found a new one. Aspen Dental ain't so bad. Heck, some of you might find that better than this car on the Xfinity circuit with Liberty University as lead sponsor. Hee hee....
She is a dog shit driver

She shouldn't have one.

If Danica Patrick was Dennis Patrick there wouldn't be a sponsor and he'd be luck to find a full time XFINITY ride.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Duel lineups. First one should be awesome tonight with both Penske guys and Harvick teaming up in Fords against three of the four Gibbs cars and Truex. Can't wait to watch:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/ ... ytona.html
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I don't really mind losing all the bandwagon fans such as yourself, though I'm sure the merchandisers do. With you and the other country club fans leaving, it just makes for a cheaper, better race day experience for real racing fans. Please stay on the golf course. :thumb:

I remember when Dover sold out with 22,000 when I was in high school. They'll be fine with 80,000 now. They may never get back to 175,000 on race day again like when they used to fill the infield and 140k in the stands, but it's impossible to replace Dale Earnhardt Sr. Add in a stupid Chase format, pull races out of the southeast, bad economy, boring corporate drivers like Johnson, etc etc and viewership goes way down.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:I don't really mind losing all the bandwagon fans such as yourself, though I'm sure the merchandisers do. With you and the other country club fans leaving, it just makes for a cheaper, better race day experience for real racing fans. Please stay on the golf course. :thumb:
Does NASCAR work in reverse of everyone else when it comes to supply and demand?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I think NASCAR should change the rules to read no tire changes

Then for the second half of the race they all have to go backwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
93henfan wrote:I don't really mind losing all the bandwagon fans such as yourself, though I'm sure the merchandisers do. With you and the other country club fans leaving, it just makes for a cheaper, better race day experience for real racing fans. Please stay on the golf course. :thumb:
Does NASCAR work in reverse of everyone else when it comes to supply and demand?
Are Coyotes tickets more expensive than Blackhawks ones?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: Does NASCAR work in reverse of everyone else when it comes to supply and demand?
No. Lower demand = lower price. But that's not a good comparison anyway because they are very different economic markets probably. 93 was comparing Dover NASCAR tickets to Dover NASCAR tickets. If less people want them, they should go down in price.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
No. Lower demand = lower price. But that's not a good comparison anyway because they are very different economic markets probably. 93 was comparing Dover NASCAR tickets to Dover NASCAR tickets. If less people want them, they should go down in price.
Right and I think he was saying tickets are cheaper because the bandwagon fans are leaving?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
And they have. Your point?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: No. Lower demand = lower price. But that's not a good comparison anyway because they are very different economic markets probably. 93 was comparing Dover NASCAR tickets to Dover NASCAR tickets. If less people want them, they should go down in price.
Right and I think he was saying tickets are cheaper because the bandwagon fans are leaving?
Yep. Our tickets were up to $110 a few years back and are now in the $80s. They've also added reduced price child tickets and all sorts of very inexpensive tickets and packages in the turns just to get people to the track. Five years ago, I'm guessing the cheapest ticket was around $85 or so and now you can go to the main race on Sunday for under $50.