Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by VictorG »

I see Washington must be enjoying the marijuana law............munchies!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1915 ... sion-stand
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:For me it's not that he's right or wrong...
It's that he doesn't understand who he works for - he's arrogant

Citizens are hostage to assholes like this once they get in office
I'm more ok with this kind of asshole than I am with the unelected bureaucrats like Lois Lerner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

Highways that double as secret military airfields

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/17/ ... ields.html
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

VictorG wrote:Highways that double as secret military airfields

In related news, before somebody perpetuates the myth about the Interstate System in the US:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/int ... #question5
One in five miles of the Interstate System is straight so airplanes can land in emergencies.

This myth is widespread on the Internet and in reference sources, but has no basis in law, regulation, design manual—or fact. Airplanes occasionally land on Interstates when no alternative is available in an emergency, not because the Interstates are designed for that purpose.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

snoopes says no way as well...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp
- Mark Twain
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

However, there are some countries that do it...

https://theaviationist.com/2015/10/06/s ... lic-roads/
- Mark Twain
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/starbucks-ca ... nance.html
Starbucks is calling a limited-time beverage that changes colors and flavors with a stir of the straw a "Unicorn Frappuccino."

The chain says the drink was inspired by the trend of unicorn-themed food online and starts out purple with a sweet and fruity taste. It changes to pink and tart after it's stirred to mix in a blue drizzle. It will be available from April 19 to April 23 in the United States, Canada and Mexico, with a 12-ounce size containing 280 calories.

Earlier this month, Seattle-based Starbucks also introduced a "Pink Drink" made with coconut milk and topped with strawberries. The company said it had previously been a customized drink that enjoyed "fandom online."
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
cx500d
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by cx500d »

VictorG wrote:Highways that double as secret military airfields

South Korea also....

We always joked any stretch on I94 in ND was an alternate landing spot for the shuttle.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/starbucks-ca ... nance.html
Starbucks is calling a limited-time beverage that changes colors and flavors with a stir of the straw a "Unicorn Frappuccino."

The chain says the drink was inspired by the trend of unicorn-themed food online and starts out purple with a sweet and fruity taste. It changes to pink and tart after it's stirred to mix in a blue drizzle. It will be available from April 19 to April 23 in the United States, Canada and Mexico, with a 12-ounce size containing 280 calories.

Earlier this month, Seattle-based Starbucks also introduced a "Pink Drink" made with coconut milk and topped with strawberries. The company said it had previously been a customized drink that enjoyed "fandom online."
Better name would be the 'Unicorn Fagachino'..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

6th terrorist attack in Paris in 3 years..

"A policeman was shot dead while two other officers were seriously injured by a Kalashnikov-wielding gunman on the Champs Elysees in central Paris - just three days before the French presidential election.

The alleged ISIS gunman, identified as 39-year-old Karim C - who was jailed for 20 years for trying to kill officers in 2001 - parked his Audi and opened fire after police stopped at a red light on the world famous avenue.

French police said the attack was probably a 'terrorist act' and dramatic video footage captured the moment police shot at the assailant, who later died.

Police have now launched a desperate manhunt for a second suspect after heavily armed officers flooded the area in the heart of the French capital.

Officers have been searching the home of the alleged shooter - who was known to security services and had been flagged as an 'extremist' - in east Paris and he had previously said that he 'wanted to kill police'.

The fatal incident unfolded as presidential candidates, including National Front party leader Marine Le Pen, debated on a TV show nearby before Sunday's election...."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4eqJf86Xt
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The alleged ISIS gunman, identified as 39-year-old Karim C - who was jailed for 20 years for trying to kill officers in 2001
If he was sentenced to 20 years in for the attempted murder of police in 2001, wtf was he doing out in 2017 so he could carry out his wishes. :?

And the European authorities only giving the 1st names of terrorists (or their press failing to report last names) is stupid. The 'Karim C' is Karim Cheurfi..
http://heavy.com/news/2017/04/abu-yusuf ... e-belgium/
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Awesome! We need more of them here in the USA!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
cx500d
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by cx500d »

....and driving an Audi....
BDKJMU wrote:
The alleged ISIS gunman, identified as 39-year-old Karim C - who was jailed for 20 years for trying to kill officers in 2001
If he was sentenced to 20 years in for the attempted murder of police in 2001, wtf was he doing out in 2017 so he could carry out his wishes. :?

And the European authorities only giving the 1st names of terrorists (or their press failing to report last names) is stupid. The 'Karim C' is Karim Cheurfi..
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:

Read your article, the term was reduced to 15 years. There must've been some time served included in the justification for releasing him earlier than 2018.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote:

phpBB [video]
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

- Mark Twain
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

"Portland Rose Parade Cancelled After Antifascists threaten GOP Marchers

For 10 years, the 82nd Avenue of Roses Business Association has kicked off the city of Portland’s annual Rose Festival with a family-friendly parade meant to attract crowds to its diverse neighborhood.

Set to march in the parade’s 67th spot this year was the Multnomah County Republican Party, a fact that so outraged two self-described antifascist groups in the deep blue Oregon city that they pledged to protest and disrupt the April 29 event.

Then came an anonymous and ominous email, according to parade organizers, that instructed them to cancel the GOP group’s registration — or else.

“You have seen how much power we have downtown and that the police cannot stop us from shutting down roads so please consider your decision wisely,” the anonymous email said, referring to the violent riots that hit Portland after the 2016 presidential election, reported the Oregonian. “This is nonnegotiable.”
The email said that 200 people would “rush into the parade” and “drag and push” those marching with the Republican Party.

“We will not give one inch to groups who espouse hatred toward LGBT, immigrants, people of color or others,” it said.

On Tuesday, the business association buckled, announcing it would cancel the parade altogether.

“Following threats of violence during the Parade by multiple groups planning to disrupt the event, 82nd Avenue of Roses Business Association can no longer guarantee the safety of our community and have made the difficult decision to cancel the Parade,” the group said in a statement....."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 3d2c29f3f8

How pathetic to give in to the 'antifa' threats. :ohno: Just have several doz cops on either side of the conk section of the parade. Or mobilize a local company of National Guardsman on one of their drill days to march along either side..
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Back in the day the Klan would march on King St in Charleston. There is a famous photo of Chief Greenberg briefing the local grand dragon before the parade about the rules, route, etc.

Chief Greenberg said they had tried to deny the Klan a permit but the city lawyers said it was a non-starter. The ACLU would sue on behalf of the Klan. Additionally, we literally daisy chained cops along the entire route, to make sure nothing happened to the marchers because failure to provide adequate security resulting in injury to a marcher would have opened the city up to lawsuits.

In this instance, it was Portland's own event so they can cancel if they want. But the day is coming when some of these municipalities are going to answer financially for the police being given stand down orders, like in Berkeley. The local GOP should hold their own parade in Portland and then let the city shut it down

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BERKELEY, CA—Advising students to remain in their dormitories and classrooms until the situation was resolved, the University of California, Berkeley declared a campuswide lockdown Thursday after several loose pages from The Wall Street Journal were found on a park bench outside a school building...

...At press time, a black-clad group of 50 students were throwing bottles at the bench while chanting, “No Nazis, No KKK, No Fascist U.S.A!”
http://www.theonion.com/article/berkele ... l-st-55815
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

93henfan wrote:
BERKELEY, CA—Advising students to remain in their dormitories and classrooms until the situation was resolved, the University of California, Berkeley declared a campuswide lockdown Thursday after several loose pages from The Wall Street Journal were found on a park bench outside a school building...

...At press time, a black-clad group of 50 students were throwing bottles at the bench while chanting, “No Nazis, No KKK, No Fascist U.S.A!”
Every once in a while, the Onion drifts out of their comfort zone and takes a shot at the left.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:Back in the day the Klan would march on King St in Charleston. There is a famous photo of Chief Greenberg briefing the local grand dragon before the parade about the rules, route, etc.

Chief Greenberg said they had tried to deny the Klan a permit but the city lawyers said it was a non-starter. The ACLU would sue on behalf of the Klan. Additionally, we literally daisy chained cops along the entire route, to make sure nothing happened to the marchers because failure to provide adequate security resulting in injury to a marcher would have opened the city up to lawsuits.

In this instance, it was Portland's own event so they can cancel if they want. But the day is coming when some of these municipalities are going to answer financially for the police being given stand down orders, like in Berkeley. The local GOP should hold their own parade in Portland and then let the city shut it down

Agreed. Liberal dipshits... :ohno:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:

:lol:
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

'Overly obese' body sparks Ohio funeral home fire

A crematorium in Ohio caught fire while burning the remains of an "overly obese" body, according to the owner.
Don Catchen said the corpse caused flames to engulf one of his units in the city of Cincinnati.
The fat in the body burned at a higher temperature, prompting the blaze, said the city fire chief.
The blog Confessions of a Funeral Director describes a blaze resulting from the cremation of a morbidly obese person as a "grease fire".
No other parts of the building were damaged, Mr Catchen said.
The fire was contained to the garage where the crematory unit is located, he told BBC News.
The fire began at 21:40 (01:40 GMT) on Wednesday and took about two hours to put out, Mr Catchen told local news outlet WCPO.
"My operator was in the process of cremating remains and [the body] was overly obese and apparently it got a little hotter than the unit is supposed to get," Mr Catchen added.

"One of the cremation containers that we had close got caught on fire and that's what burnt."
No other bodies were damaged in the fire, he said.
"We believe there were some combustible storage boxes that were too close to the ovens," said Cincinnati Fire Chief Michael Washington.
Mr Catchen added the fireproof unit is made of concrete block with a steel roof, but also has a rubberised roof.
A similar blaze at a Virginia facility in October 2014 occurred during the cremation of a 500lb (226kg) body.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39735904
- Mark Twain
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

VictorG wrote:'Overly obese' body sparks Ohio funeral home fire

A crematorium in Ohio caught fire while burning the remains of an "overly obese" body, according to the owner.
Don Catchen said the corpse caused flames to engulf one of his units in the city of Cincinnati.
The fat in the body burned at a higher temperature, prompting the blaze, said the city fire chief.
The blog Confessions of a Funeral Director describes a blaze resulting from the cremation of a morbidly obese person as a "grease fire".
No other parts of the building were damaged, Mr Catchen said.
The fire was contained to the garage where the crematory unit is located, he told BBC News.
The fire began at 21:40 (01:40 GMT) on Wednesday and took about two hours to put out, Mr Catchen told local news outlet WCPO.
"My operator was in the process of cremating remains and [the body] was overly obese and apparently it got a little hotter than the unit is supposed to get," Mr Catchen added.

"One of the cremation containers that we had close got caught on fire and that's what burnt."
No other bodies were damaged in the fire, he said.
"We believe there were some combustible storage boxes that were too close to the ovens," said Cincinnati Fire Chief Michael Washington.
Mr Catchen added the fireproof unit is made of concrete block with a steel roof, but also has a rubberised roof.
A similar blaze at a Virginia facility in October 2014 occurred during the cremation of a 500lb (226kg) body.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39735904
Are they going to fire him up again? :?

I lawled at "grease fire." :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Was he Italian?