2017 High School Football Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

2017 High School Football Thread

Post by 93henfan »

I didn't attend the game, but followed my alma mater's score via Twitter last night. It was a matchup of top ten teams. Went down like this:

We kick off, other team returns it for TD. Them 7-Us 0

We drive for a TD, XP blocked. Them 7-Us 6

We kick off, they again return it for TD. Them 14-Us 6

We drive for a TD and convert 2-pt try. Tied at 14.

After a stop, we throw a pick six. 21-14 them at the half.

In 4th Q we drive for a TD and again XP is blocked. 21-20 them.

We get ball with 2 min left. Get stuffed in the red zone and line up for 30 yd FG with under 30 secs left. GOOD! 23-21 us

Kick it deep and actually tackle the returner! They heave a long completion to get into our territory. They heave another and we are flagged for what everyone tHere said was a phantom PI. They line up for a long FG with time expiring and make it. We lose 24-23.

It's not every day that your defense gives up 3 points, your offense scores three TDs and a FG and you lose. :pissed: :pissed:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Re: 2017 High School Football Thread

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Who are the better Delaware HS squads these days?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:Who are the better Delaware HS squads these days?
D1: Middletown and Smyrna. Aka, the two towns that grew in size by about 500% during the housing bubble.

In D2, it's Woodbridge. They are pretty much untouchable, which is weird, because they were historically dreadful as probably the smallest, poorest district in the whole state.

Here are the MaxPeps combined D1 and D2 rankings: http://www.maxpreps.com/m/rankings/list ... 5&state=de
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:Who are the better Delaware HS squads these days?
D1: Middletown and Smyrna. Aka, the two towns that grew in size by about 500% during the housing bubble.

In D2, it's Woodbridge. They are pretty much untouchable, which is weird, because they were historically dreadful as probably the smallest, poorest district in the whole state.

Here are the MaxPeps combined D1 and D2 rankings: http://www.maxpreps.com/m/rankings/list ... 5&state=de
I think Laurel is the poorest, if not the smallest.

Laurel 27, St. Elizabeth's 14 last night at Baynard Stadium. Nice road win! :thumb:

Last week, the Dawgs screwed the pooch, blowing a 13-0 lead and managing to lose to fokkking Brandywine, 22-13.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

How's St. Mark's doing?
Proletarians of the world, unite!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote: I think Laurel is the poorest, if not the smallest.
I can tell you from traveling to every district in Slower DE in the 80s that it was Woodbridge and nobody else was close. The visiting stands consisted of two rows of wooden planks, one higher than the other. You had to step on row 1 to get to row 2. We (Milford) sucked and still beat Woodbridge by 30 every time we played them.

When DuPont closed in Seaford and Seaford became a crack town, most of those families started migrating north toward Dover, many into Woodbridge district. Add in school choice starting up, and Woodbridge also poached a few players from Milford, Sussex Central, and Lake Forest and have turned themselves into easily the best D2 program with only Milford and Laurel occasionally giving them a game.

We went down to Bridgeville for my youngest son's Pop Warner game against Woodbridge PW and our kids were shellacked. We only got crushed by two programs: Smyrna and Bridgeville. Surprise, surprise.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Looks like the balance of football power has shifted decidedly south in the last 15 yrs. Where is Delaware Military Academy located? That's a new one on me.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Helena Capital takes down Billings Skyview 34-14 to move to 4-0.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: I think Laurel is the poorest, if not the smallest.
I can tell you from traveling to every district in Slower DE in the 80s that it was Woodbridge and nobody else was close. The visiting stands consisted of two rows of wooden planks, one higher than the other. You had to step on row 1 to get to row 2. We (Milford) sucked and still beat Woodbridge by 30 every time we played them.

When DuPont closed in Seaford and Seaford became a crack town, most of those families started migrating north toward Dover, many into Woodbridge district. Add in school choice starting up, and Woodbridge also poached a few players from Milford, Sussex Central, and Lake Forest and have turned themselves into easily the best D2 program with only Milford and Laurel occasionally giving them a game.

We went down to Bridgeville for my youngest son's Pop Warner game against Woodbridge PW and our kids were shellacked. We only got crushed by two programs: Smyrna and Bridgeville. Surprise, surprise.
Laurel has a nice new school and new stadium, but over 50% of the kids are eligible for federal aid. It's a poor town, plain and simple. It never had a DuPont plant, and it's considered a major economic victory to land two Royal Farms stores. Good football town, though.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote: Laurel has a nice new school and new stadium, but over 50% of the kids are eligible for federal aid. It's a poor town, plain and simple. It never had a DuPont plant, and it's considered a major economic victory to land two Royal Farms stores. Good football town, though.
:coffee:
http://www.wboc.com/story/9429215/milfo ... tate-title

But seriously, Smyrna moving up D1 to replace us was the best thing that ever happened to Milford football. We were the smallest D1 school in the state for decades and now we're the biggest D2 School. Consequently we went from probably an average 2-8 season before the switch to an average 7-3 since.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

On the poorest school thing, it may be Laurel now. I was just drawing from my 80s memories and truly feeling bad for Woodbridge. Laurel was nothing like that when we visited there, but that was 30 years ago and I haven't been there much if any since.

I'd still say that every school on US-13 south of Camden (Lake Forest, Woodbridge, Seaford, Laurel, and Delmar) are duking it out for smallest/poorest. Throw in Indian River and Sussex Central with 'em.

As far as big and rich goes, that's Cape Henlopen, Caesar Rodney and now Smyrna.

Who does that leave in the middle? Dover, Milford, and the Techs.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:On the poorest school thing, it may be Laurel now. I was just drawing from my 80s memories and truly feeling bad for Woodbridge. Laurel was nothing like that when we visited there, but that was 30 years ago and I haven't been there much if any since.

I'd still say that every school on US-13 south of Camden (Lake Forest, Woodbridge, Seaford, Laurel, and Delmar) are duking it out for smallest/poorest. Throw in Indian River and Sussex Central with 'em.

As far as big and rich goes, that's Cape Henlopen, Caesar Rodney and now Smyrna.

Who does that leave in the middle? Dover, Milford, and the Techs.
Yeah, there's a lot of bitterness in Sussex about Sussex Tech, which has drawn kids from everywhere in the county, away from the local schools. It's not really a tech school -- it's more of a charter school paid for by all county taxpayers, and getting more than its share of the necessary resources.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Tuscola Mountaineers took down North Henderson 49-12 to move to 3-1.

Do you northern southerners in Delaware do the A program (i.e. 1A, 2A, etc.) or something else for divisions? Tuscola is apparently 3A/2A with just under 1100 students.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

ASUG8 wrote:Tuscola Mountaineers took down North Henderson 49-12 to move to 3-1.

Do you northern southerners in Delaware do the A program (i.e. 1A, 2A, etc.) or something else for divisions? Tuscola is apparently 3A/2A with just under 1100 students.
Delaware has D1 (large schools) and D2 (small schools). The cutoff is around 1100 students. Biggest school is William Penn (upstate) with ~2,100. Laurel is smallest with ~500.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Wiki says NC has 727 public high schools and 357 private schools. Not sure how many have fooseball teams.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

ASUG8 wrote:Wiki says NC has 727 public high schools and 357 private schools. Not sure how many have fooseball teams.
Delaware has 47 schools with football teams. That includes all public and private. 14 in Slower DE and all the rest upstate.

Playoffs are six D1 teams and six D2 teams. Seeds 3-6 have a play-in round and seeds 1 and 2 get a play-in bye.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Hey, 93, will you be coming to Milford-Laurel on October 6?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:Hey, 93, will you be coming to Milford-Laurel on October 6?
Maybe. I'll let you know.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Milford Bucs take down #1 Woodbridge and the longest win streak in the state last night for homecoming.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

My Lodi Flames went from a 2-0 start and a 52-29 performance at homecoming to being on the wrong end of two straight shutouts. Something is VERY wrong in Grape Town.

:ohno:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SuperHornet wrote:My Lodi Flames went from a 2-0 start and a 52-29 performance at homecoming to being on the wrong end of two straight shutouts. Something is VERY wrong in Grape Town.

:ohno:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Bishop England Battlin' Bishops dominated the redneck Klansman of Hanahan, 29-7.

They are currently on a 4 game winning streak.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

93henfan wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:Tuscola Mountaineers took down North Henderson 49-12 to move to 3-1.

Delaware has D1 (large schools) and D2 (small schools). The cutoff is around 1100 students. Biggest school is William Penn (upstate) with ~2,100. Laurel is smallest with ~500.

It cracks me up every time you say upstate, etc. 4 1/2 Delawares could fit in my county alone. 10 Delawares could fit into the county Flagstaff is in.
:thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

dbackjon wrote:
93henfan wrote:

It cracks me up every time you say upstate, etc. 4 1/2 Delawares could fit in my county alone. 10 Delawares could fit into the county Flagstaff is in.
pfft... but it's all just sand and scrub
Washington has about a half dozen National Forests larger than Delaware
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

oh and fuck your High school football thread.... (in particular)

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus