2017 NASCAR Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Re: 2017 NASCAR Thread

Post by tribe_pride »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

"The 35-year-old Patrick has seven top-10s in 180 career starts. "

What ESPN should have said:
The 35-year-old Patrick has zero wins and zero top-5s in 180 career starts."
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

After the JMU @ ECU game Sat 2 weeks ago gf and I went to the Southern 500 throwback race at Darlington. With only racing there once a year, the whole throwback weekend, it being Juniors last race, and a grandstand capacity of only 58k, it had to be a near sellout. Infield was pretty full. Was a decent race. Not nearly as many wrecks & cautions & not nearly as the one I went to 2 years ago. Typically one of the longest races of the year, was about 3 3/4 hours. 2 years ago was about 4 1/2.

In the closing laps Truex was leading, with Hamlin closing in. Truex was pushing it on old tires, and blew a right front tire with 3 laps to go and slapped the wall. Hamlin went on to win. Truex finished 8th. Hamlin's win was ruled encumbered after a rear suspension violation.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/news ... fm1m6dmhjf
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

This past weekend went to the regular season ending races at RIR. Went to the Xfinity race on Fri night. Pretty good crowd for an Xfinity race. Course Junior was racing in it, in his last weekend at RIR. At the Cup race on Sat night the grandstands seemed pretty full. Course cutting capacity from about 110k down to 60k, plus it being Junior's last Cup race at RIR, not surprising. Truex was again leading in the close laps when 58 year old Derrick Cope caused a caution with again 3 laps to go. The lead lap cars all pitted because tire fall off was so huge. Truex came out in 2nd behind Larson. On the white flag lap It was Larson, Truex, Hamlin. Hamlin got loose underneath Truex and put Truex into the wall. Larson goes on to win. 2nd race where Truex has been leading at the end, with the race in the bag, only to have a late caution derail things that enabled Larson to win. At the 2nd Michigan race Truex was leading when their was a big wreck with a few laps to go. Red flag to clean up debris. Truex on older tires spun them on the restart and Larson in the 2nd row made a great move, took the lead and won the race.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Playoffs: Seeds/playoff points
1. Truex 53 (4 wins/18 stage wins, 15 pt bonus for 1st place regular season points).
2. Larson 33 (4 wins/3 stage wins, 10 pt bonus for 2nd place regular season points ).
3. Kyle Busch 29 (2 wins/11 stage wins, 8 pt bonus for 3rd place regular season points).
4. Keselowski 19 (2 wins/4 stage wins, 5 pt bonus for 6th place regular season points).
5. Johnson 17 (3 wins/1 stage win, 1 pt bonus for 10th place regular season points).
6. Harvick 15 (1 win/3 stage wins, 7 pt bonus for 4th place regular season points).
7.Hamlin 13 (1* win/2 stage wins, 6 pt bonus for 5th place regular season points). (+1* encumbered win)
8. Stenhouse 10 (2 wins).
9. Blaney 8 (1 win/3 stage wins).
10. Elliott 6 (2 stage wins, 4 pt bonus for 7th place regular season points).
11. Newman 5 (1 win).
12. Kurt Busch 5 (1 win).
13. Kahne 5 (1 win).
14. Dillon 5 (1 win).
15. Kenseth 5 (3 stage wins, 2 pt bonus for 9th place regular season points).
16. McMurray 3 (3 pt bonus for 8th place regular season points).
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Bittersweet trip to the track today to see Jr one last time. Was fortunate to see him win the first race after 9/11, which happened to be at Dover:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Pretty big crowd yesterday. Definitely more than June race.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:Pretty big crowd yesterday. Definitely more than June race.
Those big clouds and the upper 60s temps with wind made for an odd weather day where you were burning up for ten minutes when the sun was hitting you, followed by freezing when you were in the cloud shade. I layered up, came out of my layers, and then put a windbreaker back on before I was right.

Dover should not be held in October. June and Sept were just fine by me.

Earnhardt on Earnhardt crime yesterday. Jr was up to third or fourth and then pitted when Jeffrey promptly decided to take out the sand barrels at the end of pit road. Jr never got close the rest of the day. Logano was driving a garbage truck all day. Never competed. That team has problems right now.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote: Those big clouds and the upper 60s temps with wind made for an odd weather day where you were burning up for ten minutes when the sun was hitting you, followed by freezing when you were in the cloud shade. I layered up, came out of my layers, and then put a windbreaker back on before I was right.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

I thought about going to the (Dover) race, but didn't feel like going to DE 2 days in a row after thr JMU @ UD game, so decided to watch at home. Will be at Talladega, Martinsville and Homestead.

-Truex wins Chicago. Kyle Busch dominated qualifying to take the pole, and both Busch and Truex had the top 2 cars. Both had pit road issues (Truex's were earlier so able to recover).
-Kyle Busch wins Loudon. Tuex was dominating, winning the 1st stage and about to win the 2nd stage until the last lap of the 2nd stage he caught caught up in the wreck started by Dillon turning Harvick. Truex had left rear and right front damage and dropped to 18th, but his car was so good even damaged he came all the way back to finish 3rd.
-Kyle Busch wins Dover with near last lap pass of Elliot. Sucks for Chase.

Eliminated after 1st round were Dillon, Kurt Busch, Newman, and Kahne.
Points reset for the round of 12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Is this seriously still going on? Is Danica still the #1 seed?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:Is this seriously still going on? Is Danica still the #1 seed?
:lol:
Yes. Unlike golf, they operate within a calendar year. :kisswink:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote:Is this seriously still going on? Is Danica still the #1 seed?
:lol:
Golf transcends time. 8-)
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :lol:
Golf transcends time. 8-)
No. Find your ball quickly and hit it. Keep moving or let me play through. :mrgreen:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

WOW. Dale Jr. still couldn't win, even after the ENTIRE FUCKING FIELD crashed. How many cars finished, 10?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

grizzaholic wrote:WOW. Dale Jr. still couldn't win, even after the ENTIRE FUCKING FIELD crashed. How many cars finished, 10?
He had no friends out there. With Kes and the Wop both left, a Penske victory was the most likely outcome. And sure enough Joey bit the bullet for Brad, as any good teammate who is already eliminated should do.

Realistically, Martinsville is probably Jr’s last chance at a victory. He has run well there over the years. He also has at least one win (his first ever as I recall it) at Texas. He’s dreadful at the other three tracks left: Kansas, Phoenix, Homestead.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Round of 12:
-Truex wins Charlotte.

-Keselowski wins Dega- I was there- was a near sellout. Guess because it was Junior's last race..That and the grandstands only supposedly hold 78k now, while back in the day they apparently held 140k+. Infield looked pretty full..

-Truex wins Kansas- sweeps the Kansas races this year, getting his 7th win of the season. Truex has won the last 4 races at 1.5 mile tracks this season, and 6 of 9 overall.

Getting eliminated from the Round of 12 were McMurray, Stenhouse, Kenseth, and Larson.
-Kenseth: Would have made it instead of Johnson, but 1st was caught up in the huge wreck at Kansas, then team was disqualified for having 7 men over the wall working on the car while on the 5 minute repair clock. To add insult to injury, the wreck was caused the wreck, Eric Jones, will be replacing Kenseth at JGR next season, and Kenseth as of now doesn't have a ride for next year.
-Larson: HUGE surprise. 4 wins this season. 3rd in the playoff points behind Truex and Kyle Busch. Most people had Larson pegged to make Homestead, and since he's run so well there in the past (2nd last year), as having a good chance at winning the championship. Didn't add to his 3rd place playoff points pad with Round of 12 10th place at Charlotte and 13th at Talladega, then doomed by a blown engine at Kansas.
1. Truex 4069/7 wins
2. Busch 4042/-27, 4 wins
3. Keselowski, 4026/-43, 3 wins
4. Harvick, 4017/-51, 1 win
5. Johnson, 4017/-51, 3 wins
6. Hamlin, 4014/-54, 2 wins
7. Blaney, 4009/-59, 1 win
8. Elliott, 4006/-62, 0 wins
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

NASCAR is such a fucking joke.

JGR just runs over whoever the fuck they want and Brian France is on the Toyota dole so he won’t do a thing about it.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

93henfan wrote:NASCAR is such a fucking joke.

JGR just runs over whoever the fuck they want and Brian France is on the Toyota dole so he won’t do a thing about it.
Horseface gets what he gets. He sucks a dick/vagina.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

So I was at the race with my gf. The rain (rained until about 1030 Sun morning and was calling for more showers in the afternoon, which thankfully held off), and the cold (by the end of the race 46 with an 18 mph wind), I think hurt attendance for JR's last Martinsville race..

Logano cost his teammate the win by riding around for 4-5 laps with that bad tire rub caused him to spin with 9 to go. If no caution comes out Keselowski likely would have won and punched his ticket to Homestead.

After Hamlin took out Elliott, when Hamlin's car drove by on the caution laps I saw countless middle fingers from where I was sitting in Turn 2. I also heard after the race a lot of beer cans went over the fence in the direction of the 11. When Hamlin was giving his interview there were very loud boos, and very loud cheers for Elliott when he was being interviewed.
phpBB [video]
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Uncle Jesse came out of the stands wanting to fight Hamlin:
phpBB [video]

About an hr and a half+ after the race ended watched the haulers leaving the track from near the intersection of this access road leading away from the track. When the 11 hauler was coming towards us all of a sudden it stopped about a hundred yards or so away. A couple of deputies who were directing traffic were soon running towards it. Saw the hauler driver get out and later the deputies leading someone away from it. Maybe some pissed drunk fan threw something at the hauler..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Texas:
-Harvick passes Truex late & pulls away for the win. A surprise at a 1.5 mile track (Truex had come in winning 6 of the 9 previous 1.5 mile races on the season). Truex back to back 2nd places.
-Harvick clinches a 2nd Homestead spot, after Busch claimed a spot by winning Martinsville. Truex clinched a spot on points.

Phoenix:
-4th Homestead spot up for grabs among Keselowski, Hamlin, Blaney, Elliott, Johnson. Elliott and Johnson were must win.
-Johnson wrecked, DNF, so no shot at an 8th championship.
-Hamlin led 193 of 312 laps & won the 2nd stage. With 40 some laps to go Elliot was battling Hamlin for the lead for a # of laps. Hamlin had to simply stay ahead of Keselowski, who was around 10th at the time, to make Homestead. Elliot got loose into Hamlin, Hamlin swipes the wall, has a tire rub, & a few laps later slams the wall with a cut tire. Crowd loved it. Payback's a bitch.
-Matt Kenseth passes Elliott late and pulls away for the win in likely the next to last race for the 45 year old.

Final 4 at Homestead 2 Toyotas & 2 Fords. 1st time since 2003 that on the final race Chevy doesn't have a shot at the title.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

-Truex 7 wins, Busch 5, Keselowski 3, Harvick 2.
Biggest disappointment of the playoffs has to be Larson. Came in as the #2 seed with 4 regular season wins, same as Truex regular season. Some peoples favorite to win the championship since he's been so good at Homestead. Going back 13 races to mid Aug, the 1st 9 were all Top 15, with 7 Top 10, 5 Top 5, and 2 wins. But the last 4 races of playoffs were an absolute disaster:
39th/DNF: engine
37th: wreck
37th: wreck
40th/DNF: engine
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Holy sh!t... ^ :rofl: That is one short stack of inbred cooters right there...

Thought I'd drop in to this thread and see what's up... was not disappointed :lol:
As you were gentlemen... I'll show myself out

:shock:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Chizzang wrote:Image

Holy sh!t... ^ :rofl: That is one short stack of inbred cooters right there...

Thought I'd drop in to this thread and see what's up... was not disappointed :lol:
As you were gentlemen... I'll show myself out

:shock:
Sorry to disappoint you, but those 4 are from from Rochester Hills, Michigan; Bakerfield, California; Las Vegas, and southern New Jersey. Not exactly as you put it, "inbred cooter" territory..