2017 MLB Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
bandl
Towson
Towson

Re: 2017 MLB Thread

Post by bandl »

89Hen wrote:Baseball is still going on? I didn't know it went past the first week in October. :suspicious:
It generally doesn't last much past the first week for the Nats
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

bandl wrote:
89Hen wrote:Baseball is still going on? I didn't know it went past the first week in October. :suspicious:
It generally doesn't last much past the first week for the Nats

:rimshot:

Try the veal
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Cole Hamels, a pitcher, hit a broken bat HR there after it opened. It's tiny. It's the Arena Football version of baseball.
Nope.
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-ma ... zes-2014-3

While a nice graph it does not take into account the wind that consistently blows the ball out of right field in Yankee Stadium.. compared to that bandbox, Coors Field is Petco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Fuck the Yankees, but they are resilient.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Not related to the playoffs this year, but interesting read in SI (and referencing another article) about possible baseball expansion and the realignment of the league as a result.

I'm not sure baseball really needs to add two more teams, and I'm sure you can argue the locations (Portland for one, as apparently they were the other options for the Nationals when the Expos relocated, and Montreal as the other - in that city's defense, I think they would be far more successful this time as that city has changed tremendously over the years and because they could play in a real park and not the monstrosity that was Olympic Stadium).

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/19/major ... ealignment
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

GannonFan wrote:Not related to the playoffs this year, but interesting read in SI (and referencing another article) about possible baseball expansion and the realignment of the league as a result.

I'm not sure baseball really needs to add two more teams, and I'm sure you can argue the locations (Portland for one, as apparently they were the other options for the Nationals when the Expos relocated, and Montreal as the other - in that city's defense, I think they would be far more successful this time as that city has changed tremendously over the years and because they could play in a real park and not the monstrosity that was Olympic Stadium).

Havana instead of Montreal - far less revenue, but whooboy the atmosphere would be off the charts...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

Dusty Baker is out for the Nats
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bandl wrote:Dusty Baker is out for the Nats
Followed by Bryce Harper in a year!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

93henfan wrote:
Followed by Bryce Harper in a year!
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Thank you Dodgers for keeping my social media feeds Cubs free.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

HI54UNI wrote:Thank you Dodgers for keeping my social media feeds Cubs free.
This.

Thanks to social media my prefered WS winner is always "ABC". Anyone but Chicago (Sox or Cubs).

I'm going Astros, Dodgers, Yankees in that order.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

A year or so too late.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Rob Iola wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Not related to the playoffs this year, but interesting read in SI (and referencing another article) about possible baseball expansion and the realignment of the league as a result.

Havana instead of Montreal - far less revenue, but whooboy the atmosphere would be off the charts...
No. I don't need to see any more Havanadians after watching Puig run the bases. :tothehand:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

I think Charlotte would be a good location to fill the void between Atlanta and DC. Maybe New Orleans or Nashville. Indy or Louisville a possibility also. I don't have a problem with Portland, but it would break the balance of the 6 west coast teams, and it would likely be an American League team (fuck that). Just a horrible time zone for sports. OK, I guess I do have a problem with Portland :lol: . Move the A's to Portland and I'm OK.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:

I think Charlotte would be a good location to fill the void between Atlanta and DC. Maybe New Orleans or Nashville. Indy or Louisville a possibility also. I don't have a problem with Portland, but it would break the balance of the 6 west coast teams, and it would likely be an American League team (fuck that). Just a horrible time zone for sports. OK, I guess I do have a problem with Portland :lol: . Move the A's to Portland and I'm OK.
A baseball team in Portland (and trust me on this) would fail spectacularly
Oakland relies heavily on fans from Berkeley (North Oakland) and yeah... not happening
which is why the A's can't sell seats - adding Portland (Berkeley North) is a stupid plan
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

2017 MLB Thread

Post by Jjoey52 »

There was talk last time about Norfolk area, they could draw from most of Virginia and parts of NC. Montreal is a slam dunk. With this the Rockies could stay in the West division and not the Midwest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:

There have been some discussions and demonstrations in the past 2 years about bringing/starting a MLS and a MLB team here (Charlotte). I don't see it happening.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Tigers hire Gardenhire as their next Manager. It will be interesting to see how he fits with a multi-year rebuild.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp wrote:Tigers hire Gardenhire as their next Manager. It will be interesting to see how he fits with a multi-year rebuild.
It would be great if Gardy adds Doug Mientkiewicz as a bench coach and future manager. He was great in the Twins farms system, not sure why they fired him. Players loved him.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:Tigers hire Gardenhire as their next Manager. It will be interesting to see how he fits with a multi-year rebuild.
It would be great if Gardy adds Doug Mientkiewicz as a bench coach and future manager. He was great in the Twins farms system, not sure why they fired him. Players loved him.
Never heard of him, but I'll trust you on it. I'll wager that you had to look up the spelling of his last name though. :nod: ;)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Never heard of him, but I'll trust you on it. I'll wager that you had to look up the spelling of his last name though. :nod:
He played for the Twins for a few years and in 2004, he was the player that tried to keep the ball when the Red Sox won the World Series.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Blurb from the Strib

“I wasn’t shocked, because I had a message that changes were taking place,” Mientkiewicz said. “I feel bad for the kids who played for me, including the ones I managed that are helping the Twins make a run for the playoffs right now. Ask any of them about me as a manager.”

Mientkiewicz’s teams finished in first place in four of his five seasons at the helm. He led the Class A Fort Myers Miracle to first-place finishes and postseason berths in 2013, 2014 and this summer, winning the Florida State League championship in 2014, and his Class AA Chattanooga Lookouts won the Southern League championship 2015. He posted winning records in all five seasons as a manager, and compiled a winning percentage of .563 (385-299) overall.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
Never heard of him, but I'll trust you on it. I'll wager that you had to look up the spelling of his last name though. :nod:
He played for the Twins for a few years and in 2004, he was the player that tried to keep the ball when the Red Sox won the World Series.
Pronounced Mancaveitz?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Gil Dobie wrote:Blurb from the Strib

“I wasn’t shocked, because I had a message that changes were taking place,” Mientkiewicz said. “I feel bad for the kids who played for me, including the ones I managed that are helping the Twins make a run for the playoffs right now. Ask any of them about me as a manager.”

Mientkiewicz’s teams finished in first place in four of his five seasons at the helm. He led the Class A Fort Myers Miracle to first-place finishes and postseason berths in 2013, 2014 and this summer, winning the Florida State League championship in 2014, and his Class AA Chattanooga Lookouts won the Southern League championship 2015. He posted winning records in all five seasons as a manager, and compiled a winning percentage of .563 (385-299) overall.
Looks good to me. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

HI54UNI wrote:Thank you Dodgers for keeping my social media feeds Cubs free.
A good portion of my feed are Dodger Fans - damn Californians living in Phoenix (not to mention the friends that live in LA).
:thumb: