Which Southeastern team will win the 2017 FBS National Championship?

All other college sports!

Which Southeastern Team will win the FBS national championship for 2017?

Alabama
50%
Florida State
7%
Clemson
29%
Auburn
No votes
Florida
7%
LSU
7%
Some other Southeast team
No votes

Total votes: 14

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Which Southeastern team will win the 2017 FBS National Championship?

Post by Pwns »

Ok, I'll admit I'm really impressed with Oklahoma State (not considered a southeast team, obviously)

Best three teams in the country from what I've seen so far:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma State
3. Alabama
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:Ok, I'll admit I'm really impressed with Oklahoma State (not considered a southeast team, obviously)

Best three teams in the country from what I've seen so far:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma State
3. Alabama
Oklahoma might be good as well, but I would put them outside of that grouping of three. Penn State and Michigan could break into that group as well.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I'd have Oklahoma above Oklahoma State. OSU hasn't played anyone yet.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Looks like Oklahoma is the last best hope for the non-Southeastern teams. And, they're just outside the zone. :lol:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Looks like Oklahoma is the last best hope for the non-Southeastern teams. And, they're just outside the zone. :lol:
Nonsense, they're in it, you've already included Texas A&M since they're in the SEC so of course that fits the narrative.

I just feel bad for Georgia - can you imagine that, a top level team (i.e. not Tennessee) from the SEC having to play a football game, at a neutral field, outside of the SEC geographic footprint? I bet they didn't even realize there were football stadiums outside of their own geographic region until this year. At least Georgia realized that this year when they played Notre Dame (of course, in September, since football can't be played when it's cold). Just seems so unfair. :coffee:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

All of these teams (not to mention the conference) are dead wrong.

The REAL D-I National Champion this year will be Weber State....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:Florida State.
:lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Bye bye Oklahoma, now let's find out which southeastern team wins it all again. :thumb:
Celebrate Diversity.*
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

You forgot "Conference"after "Southeastern" in the thread title.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Bowl season proved out that the SEC is hardly the conference they were years ago. No depth in that conference. All these #gauntlet tweets are hollow. The conference is living on yesteryears glory and a rigged playoff system. As far as I'm concerned, I saw a more talented and a more athletic UCF team take it to the Auburn team that blew out Georgia and beat Alabama to win Alabama's division of the SEC. UCF is my FBS national champion this year, the game next Monday is for second place.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Bowl season proved out that the SEC is hardly the conference they were years ago. No depth in that conference. All these #gauntlet tweets are hollow. The conference is living on yesteryears glory and a rigged playoff system. As far as I'm concerned, I saw a more talented and a more athletic UCF team take it to the Auburn team that blew out Georgia and beat Alabama to win Alabama's division of the SEC. UCF is my FBS national champion this year, the game next Monday is for second place.
I wouldn't go that far, but it did expose the "playoffs" as a sham.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Bowl season proved out that the SEC is hardly the conference they were years ago. No depth in that conference. All these #gauntlet tweets are hollow. The conference is living on yesteryears glory and a rigged playoff system. As far as I'm concerned, I saw a more talented and a more athletic UCF team take it to the Auburn team that blew out Georgia and beat Alabama to win Alabama's division of the SEC. UCF is my FBS national champion this year, the game next Monday is for second place.
Well, we'll never know of course, because the playoffs are a sham, and because the SEC would never schedule OOC like that to get a real gauge of it. SEC AD's were probably lambasting Georgia for agreeing to play Notre Dame on campus and outside of the south like they did. That's been a no-no for scheduling in the SEC for years.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: I wouldn't go that far, but it did expose the "playoffs" as a sham.
Well, we'll never know of course, because the playoffs are a sham, and because the SEC would never schedule OOC like that to get a real gauge of it. SEC AD's were probably lambasting Georgia for agreeing to play Notre Dame on campus and outside of the south like they did. That's been a no-no for scheduling in the SEC for years.
So the SEC is the CAA of FBS? :-P
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
I'm with you two. I'm an SEC fan, born and raised, but SEC schools pigeon hole themselves with their scheduling. They put more emphasis on the conference games and relatively weak OOC teams/conferences (IMO). Look at South Carolina's OOC: LA Tech (C-USA), NC State (ACC) and Wofford (SoCon). NC State is the only team from a "quality" conference - if you ignore the fact that only 4 of the 14 ACC teams finished above .500 in conference. :twocents:

I know it'd be expensive - but put a Big 10 or Big 12 team on rotation more often.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
They are to an extent - the CAA was dominant for a set period of time (something like from 2003 to just about the time the chain crew blew it in the 2010 national title game), and hasn't really been the same since. Some decent top teams, some great ones actually, but not a lot of depth that made the conference legitimately tops during that time period. And yes, they both schedule OOC like crap. No argument there. The only difference is very few people today would actually argue the CAA is the best conference in FCS year in and year out. You still have SEC fools who were chanting SEC last night despite the SEC being exposed as a sham for much of bowl season, again.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
They are to an extent - the CAA was dominant for a set period of time (something like from 2003 to just about the time the chain crew blew it in the 2010 national title game), and hasn't really been the same since. Some decent top teams, some great ones actually, but not a lot of depth that made the conference legitimately tops during that time period. And yes, they both schedule OOC like crap. No argument there. The only difference is very few people today would actually argue the CAA is the best conference in FCS year in and year out. You still have SEC fools who were chanting SEC last night despite the SEC being exposed as a sham for much of bowl season, again.
My BIL is a big SEC fan and was using the excuse of "well, the SEC teams weren't favorites in the games they lost"... :lol: :dunce:
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Ah, the fallacy of bowl records... :lol:

You do need to take a look at who finished where in their conference.

Case in point, here are the G5 Bowl records
Sun Belt: 4-1
American: 4-3
MAC: 1-4
Mountain West: 3-3
Conference USA 4-5

Also of note...the AAC is 2-10 against the other G5 conferences in bowl games the last 3 seasons, but they are obviously the best Group of 5 conference year-in and year-out.

It really shouldn't be surprising that when the SEC has multiple CFP teams and 3 in the NY6 bowls they wouldn't do as well as the league whose top team played overrated USC.
Celebrate Diversity.*
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote:Ah, the fallacy of bowl records... :lol:

Conference USA 4-5

Also of note...the AAC is 2-10 against the other G5 conferences in bowl games the last 3 seasons, but they are obviously the best Group of 5 conference year-in and year-out.

It really shouldn't be surprising that when the SEC has multiple CFP teams and 3 in the NY6 bowls they wouldn't do as well as the league whose top team played overrated USC.
The SEC lost to Wake Forest, Northwestern, Texas and a G5. Explain it any way you want.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Sounds like someone's mad about another all-SEC championship game. :(
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

89Hen wrote:
Pwns wrote:Ah, the fallacy of bowl records... :lol:

Conference USA 4-5

The SEC lost to Wake Forest, Northwestern, Texas and a G5. Explain it any way you want.
Wake beat a Texas A&M team that fired their coach.
Northwestern is a 9-win B1G team beating a 7-win Kentucky team. :lol:
Texas beat a 7-win Mizzou team.
Am I supposed to be impressed, here?
Celebrate Diversity.*
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:
89Hen wrote: The SEC lost to Wake Forest, Northwestern, Texas and a G5. Explain it any way you want.
These are the teams that make up the vaunted #gauntlet. Heck, Texas A&M was the furthest road trip 'Bama took all year. These are the teams that are supposedly so good that 'Bama doesn't have to schedule OOC games against tough teams. You're the one that says we should be impressed by all these non-SEC teams beating SEC teams. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth on this one.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote:
89Hen wrote: The SEC lost to Wake Forest, Northwestern, Texas and a G5. Explain it any way you want.
No. But neither are we with the SEC. That's the point. 8-)

ATM lost to a 5 loss Wake
Mizzou lost to a 6-6 Texas

See how this works?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Pwns wrote:
No. But neither are we with the SEC. That's the point. 8-)

ATM lost to a 5 loss Wake
Mizzou lost to a 6-6 Texas

See how this works?
Well, in the SEC's defense, those were two games, even though they were playing teams with underwhelming seasons, those games were played in the states of the teams they played (the Wake game was in North Carolina and the Texas game was in Texas). SEC teams are not used to playing OOC games on the road or playing OOC games that could in any way be construed as a road environment, so it must have been extremely difficult for them to cope with such an atmosphere. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Well, in the SEC's defense, those were two games, even though they were playing teams with underwhelming seasons, those games were played in the states of the teams they played (the Wake game was in North Carolina and the Texas game was in Texas). SEC teams are not used to playing OOC games on the road or playing OOC games that could in any way be construed as a road environment, so it must have been extremely difficult for them to cope with such an atmosphere. :rofl:
Very true. Hostile environment in Charlotte.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Well, in the SEC's defense, those were two games, even though they were playing teams with underwhelming seasons, those games were played in the states of the teams they played (the Wake game was in North Carolina and the Texas game was in Texas). SEC teams are not used to playing OOC games on the road or playing OOC games that could in any way be construed as a road environment, so it must have been extremely difficult for them to cope with such an atmosphere. :rofl:
Very true. Hostile environment in Charlotte.

:lol: :lol: The Belk Bowl.... :lol:

Really - i don't get why Univ.S. Carolina plays a game at Bank of America Stadium. :coffee:

Although - there isn't a time stamp so who knows at what point that was taken. Breitbart did a piece on dwindling attendances a few weeks ago and it was a complete hack job. All their pictures of "proof" were taken before or after a game when official attendance said otherwise.

I found this...10 minutes before kick off. Pathetic.

Last edited by Ibanez on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17