dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Sun Belt Thread 2017

Post by dbackjon »

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/stati ... attendance

2017 is based on complied box scores, using NCAA Reporting Methodology.

2012 was last full year (eligible for playoffs) in FCS. Top 2 years were the last two years of FCS.

Thursday Night Football is one of your Sun Belt bonuses - that should increase attendance, right?

2017 25,787
2016 26,153
2015 21,459
2014 23,166
2013 24,894
2012 26,358
2011 26,211
2010 25,715
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Avg last 3 FCS years - 26,094
Avg Last 3 FBS years - 24,466

~1600 person delta. Meh....
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

dbackjon wrote:http://www.ncaa.org/championships/stati ... attendance

2012 was last full year (eligible for playoffs) in FCS. Top 2 years were the last two years of FCS.

Thursday Night Football is one of your Sun Belt bonuses - that should increase attendance, right?
:?
It's hard for those of us 3 hours away to leave work and make a 7PM game. Much of the alumni base is in Raleigh (3.5 hours), Greensboro (2 hours), or Charlotte (2 hours). Saturdays are no problem, but Thursday nights are tough for those of us who are employed and distant.

I'd chalk up the difference right now maybe to not having any true rivalries aside from the Iggles. Once the hate begins to flow between us and other teams I think we'll be more able to justify expansion.
Last edited by ASUG8 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

ASUG8 wrote:

It's hard for those of us 3 hours away to leave work and make a 7PM game. Much of the alumni base is in Raleigh (3.5 hours), Greensboro (2 hours), or Charlotte (2 hours). Saturdays are no problem, but Thursday nights are tough for those of us who are employed and distant.

I know - but those major Sun Belt TV Exposure (which requires Thursday night games) is always touted as a "win" for moving to the Sun Belt. :nod:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

dbackjon wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

I know - but those major Sun Belt TV Exposure (which requires Thursday night games) is always touted as a "win" for moving to the Sun Belt. :nod:

For example, our Thursday night hate week game vs. Georgia Southern was only 23K in attendance. I know GS is way down this year, but put that game on a Saturday and you'd see it closer to 27-28K IMO.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

ASUG8 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

For example, our Thursday night hate week game vs. Georgia Southern was only 23K in attendance. I know GS is way down this year, but put that game on a Saturday and you'd see it closer to 27-28K IMO.

All you have to do is suck, and then they won't want you on Thursday Nights :mrgreen:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

ASUG8 wrote:

I'd chalk up the difference right now maybe to not having any true rivalries aside from the Iggles. Once the hate begins to flow between us and other teams I think we'll be more able to justify expansion.
Good luck leaving Charlotte early and getting to Boone early for a 7pm game. You'd seriously have to leave around 2-2:30.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Pwns wrote: 1. Cook thinks or knows Paul Johnson's days are numbered at Georgia Tech.

2. Johnson didn't lift a finger to try and retain Cook because he's just not that good of an assistant.

We will see how it comes out. I think the ****-show on offense this season covered up the fact that we underachieved on defense, too. It's a freaking joke that Summers and Zo said they wanted our defensive linemen to slim down and they were actually heavier at season's end. Not super-impressed with what those guys made from our very talented front 7.
Guess Chad Lunsford wasn't overly impressed with Bryan Cook. Maybe this here was right.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Baldy wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
If he wants to head on to y'all's dumpster fire - more power to him. I guess y'all would make him defensive coordinator?
With Summers ejection, it didn't quite turn into a dumpster fire. You will see a vast improvement in 2018.

It hopefully will be announced today, but Sloan will be the DC. Don't be so nonchalant, Sloan is/was your recruiting coordinator. He was very effective, especially in Georgia.
Lunsford was RC for us for years, as was Vic Cabral, and with the addition of Sloan, our recruiting will be top notch. The big question no is who will be OC. Rumor is that it's between Alex Atkins and Bob Debeese.
Finally...welcome back home Scot Sloan. :thumb:

Time to flip some of those Georgia boys App has committed to stay home. :nod:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

FunBelt takes the R&L Carriers Bowl!!

I centered my whole day around this game and it did not disappoint!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

93henfan wrote:FunBelt takes the R&L Carriers Bowl!!

I centered my whole day around this game and it did not disappoint!
:thumb: :clap:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

All you have to do is suck, and then they won't want you on Thursday Nights :mrgreen:
Will you rephrase that, please? :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

:D
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AshevilleApp wrote::D
I know. We're terrible and don't play anybody. 8-)
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

AshevilleApp wrote:Interesting article.

http://wlos.com/sports/beyond-the-score ... the-county
That's ridiculous. I mean the part about them being the best group of 5 team/program. By my count they are 5-8 against FBS competition outside of the Sun Belt during the time period the author referenced. Their overall FBS record is a function of being in the Sun Belt. Heck, McNeese State is 3-1 vs. the Sun Belt as a FCS. And the one loss was by 8 points.

Besides...what is this thing of acting excited about being one of the "better" teams in the "Group of 5?" They're in FBS. So, they're among the best of the teams in the crappy FBS conferences? That's pretty much what it's saying.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote:

That's ridiculous. I mean the part about them being the best group of 5 team/program. By my count they are 5-8 against FBS competition outside of the Sun Belt during the time period the author referenced. Their overall FBS record is a function of being in the Sun Belt. Heck, McNeese State is 3-1 vs. the Sun Belt as a FCS. And the one loss was by 8 points.

Besides...what is this thing of acting excited about being one of the "better" teams in the "Group of 5?" They're in FBS. So, they're among the best of the teams in the crappy FBS conferences? That's pretty much what it's saying.
And yet, your beloved LSU Tigers were prison raped on their home field in front of 100K by one of those crappy Sun Belt teams. :nod: :lol:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Glad you found it interesting John! :lol: I may not be able to count correctly, but I get 7-8 against non-Sun belt FBS in the past 4 seasons. 7-2 against non-Sun Belt G5 teams (losses to Southern Mississippi in 2014 and U Mass this past season. 0-6 against P5 teams.

As far as the best G5 team, I'd think that some of the AAC teams are better at this point.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Baldy wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

And yet, your beloved LSU Tigers were prison raped on their home field in front of 100K by one of those crappy Sun Belt teams. :nod: :lol:
Yes that was a horrible loss by LSU. But go ahead and tally up Troy's overall record against power 5 conference teams. It's not going to be pretty.

And what makes it a horrible loss is that there's no way a program like LSU should lose to a Sun Belt team. It's the first time it's ever happened. But the fact that it happened at all is a real black mark on the history of the LSU program.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AA with the master troll. :notworthy:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

And the Sun Belt goes 4-1 in bowl games this year.

Look out CUSA and MAC, were coming after you! :mrgreen:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

3-1

1-0 four teams that Appalachian state doesn't want in their conference
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

dbackjon wrote:3-1

1-0 four teams that Appalachian state doesn't want in their conference
:o What four teams doesn't App want in the conference?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Georgia Tech poaches Nate Woody from App and hires him as Defensive Coordinator.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Baldy wrote: And yet, your beloved LSU Tigers were prison raped on their home field in front of 100K by one of those crappy Sun Belt teams. :nod: :lol:
Yes that was a horrible loss by LSU. But go ahead and tally up Troy's overall record against power 5 conference teams. It's not going to be pretty.

And what makes it a horrible loss is that there's no way a program like LSU should lose to a Sun Belt team. It's the first time it's ever happened. But the fact that it happened at all is a real black mark on the history of the LSU program.
Of course their record against P5 teams is horrible by comparison, but they do own wins not only against LSU, but Oklahoma State, Missouri, Florida State, and Mississippi State. LSU won't be the first, nor will it be the last. It happens all the time.