THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

College Hoops discussion
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote:And he's got Gonzaga #1 right now, and more interestingly, Gonzaga and West Virginia are the only teams he has as top 10 in both offense and defense. There are several teams, including all of the top 7, that are top 20 in both offense and defense, and that is normally a short list of teams that could win the national title.

Not much noise for the Big East again likely this year in the tourney - nova will be the only team getting to the Sweet 16. Creighton losing the point guard is just devastating, Butler is a nice team but not much else, and Xavier has just not pulled it together so far. nova will go as far as Josh Hart takes them, which could be very far. Just a special player.

ACC could and should get at least 10 teams in the tourney this year, and despite that, I don't think they have a national title team among them. Granted, it's hard to see when there are so many teams and the conference schedule is just loaded, but I think UNC is the best they've got and it's hard to see them winning 6 straight in the tournament. Best conference by a mile, I just don't think they have a team that will be the best team.

Arizona is the type of team that could win it. Just getting healthy now, great all the way around. Certainly one of a handful that could win it.

You have your moments. This just wasn't one of them. Not much noise for the Big East again in the tourney? You would have to ignore winning the whole thing to think that has any merit.

Some of the best teams in the Big East got some bad news this week and Watson's injury was especially brutal for a Creighton team that looked more and more like a team that could make a run. Arizona's victory over UCLA gives Gonzaga supporters more confidence. I just don't get to see them since they are on the West coast and they don't have any marquee games once the conference games begin. (St. Mary's an exception) Going undefeated is no easy task regardless of the conference though. They deserve their ranking. We won't see how good they are until the second week of the tournament I guess. Maybe you can start a West Coast Conference thread and troll the posters telling them that the conference isn't strong enough to get a team ready for the tournament.

I think Villanova is as balanced as any team. Spellman being ruled ineligible and Booth's persistent injury have made a team expected to be deep thin though.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
GannonFan wrote:And he's got Gonzaga #1 right now, and more interestingly, Gonzaga and West Virginia are the only teams he has as top 10 in both offense and defense. There are several teams, including all of the top 7, that are top 20 in both offense and defense, and that is normally a short list of teams that could win the national title.

Not much noise for the Big East again likely this year in the tourney - nova will be the only team getting to the Sweet 16. Creighton losing the point guard is just devastating, Butler is a nice team but not much else, and Xavier has just not pulled it together so far. nova will go as far as Josh Hart takes them, which could be very far. Just a special player.

ACC could and should get at least 10 teams in the tourney this year, and despite that, I don't think they have a national title team among them. Granted, it's hard to see when there are so many teams and the conference schedule is just loaded, but I think UNC is the best they've got and it's hard to see them winning 6 straight in the tournament. Best conference by a mile, I just don't think they have a team that will be the best team.

Arizona is the type of team that could win it. Just getting healthy now, great all the way around. Certainly one of a handful that could win it.

You have your moments. This just wasn't one of them. Not much noise for the Big East again in the tourney? You would have to ignore winning the whole thing to think that has any merit.

Some of the best teams in the Big East got some bad news this week and Watson's injury was especially brutal for a Creighton team that looked more and more like a team that could make a run. Arizona's victory over UCLA gives Gonzaga supporters more confidence. I just don't get to see them since they are on the West coast and they don't have any marquee games once the conference games begin. (St. Mary's an exception) Going undefeated is no easy task regardless of the conference though. They deserve their ranking. We won't see how good they are until the second week of the tournament I guess. Maybe you can start a West Coast Conference thread and troll the posters telling them that the conference isn't strong enough to get a team ready for the tournament.

I think Villanova is as balanced as any team. Spellman being ruled ineligible and Booth's persistent injury have made a team expected to be deep thin though.
Hey, I call it like I see it, and I judge conferences by the whole and not a single team. nova is one of maybe just 10 teams that can win the title this year, that's pretty rarefied air. The rest of the conference will, much like last year, squander some favorable seeding and will likely see no one other than nova make it out of the first weekend.

As for Gonzaga, I'm a big Zags fan, and they seem a lot more balanced than in previous years, but it's been a weaker schedule than they normally play. They caught Arizona when they were still struggling a bit so hard to judge from that one. And they don't play a marquee OOC game the rest of the way (haven't played one since playing Tennessee in the middle of December and that's assuming you call Tennessee "marquee" since I don't).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Holtmann leaves Butler for Ohio State. UGH!
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Big East television ratings reach all-time high on Fox Sports

This young conference takes another step toward legitimacy.

By Brendan Carducci Mar 25, 2017, 1:51pm EDT

Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Per a release from Fox Sports, the Big East conference enjoyed its most watched season on Fox Networks. Big East viewership on FS1 and FS2 is up 16% from last season, and 84% from the conference’s inaugural season.

As this release outlines, the Big East averaged 192,000 viewers per game. This statistic includes both the regular season and conference tournament. Last season, the conference averaged 166,000 viewers per contest. In their first season, the Big East averaged a mere 104,000 viewers.

While Big East basketball has steadily gained popularity over the years, it still lags behind many other conferences on larger networks. Sports Business Daily reports that CBS averaged 1.4 million viewers per game last season. They also report that ESPN drew an average audience of 1.2 million last year.

Regardless, a significant uprising in television figures can only help the Big East come time to renegotiate with Fox Sports.

The only way to improve upon these numbers is to provide fans with exciting matchups. The Big East is coming off its strongest season. Seven of ten conference members qualified for the NCAA Tournament. That is the second most bids by a conference, only shy of the ACC’s nine tournament representatives.

St. John’s must contribute to the Big East’s effort. The Red Storm act as an important pillar in the league’s television figures. They are located in the nation’s largest media market. Stimulating the always vital New York market has to be a priority for the Big East.

Under coach Chris Mullin, the Johnnies are soon expected to enter a bit of a renaissance period. This past season St. John’s showed just enough to encourage supporters. Some highlights include road victories at Syracuse and Providence, a home upset against Butler, and winning the season series over rival Georgetown.

The Big East remains prominent in college basketball discussions. However, to further establish itself amongst other power conferences it must continue to increase television audiences.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Still relying on St. John's to be good. That's going to take a long time. The Big East is nova and then everyone else. The only thing as a nova basketball fan (and I'm one via the Big 5) to look forward to over the next 3 months is the 2 games against Xavier and maybe, maybe, the games against Seton Hall. I'd like the season to be more than about what happens in March, but other than the Gonzaga game, and like I said the home and home against Xavier, the season for nova goes into hibernation now and doesn't really wake up until mid March. That's why viewership is a tenth of what college basketball is on the other stations - the lack of intriguing matchups.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

The Gonzaga game wasn't a game and you can't judge the rest of the conference by comparing them to the best team in the country.

The X and Seton Hall games will be challenging as well as the Butler and Creighton games on the road. It was great to see them run through the Big 5 again with such ease. If Spellman can protect the rim and provide some beef when we play top 10 teams we can make a pretty good run. In the meantime, I will be enjoying each game in the hibernation section of the season.

As far as viewership is concerned, the gap continues to close as the country gets used to tuning into FS1 and the Big East. I have every confidence ESPN numbers will continue to erode while the Big East numbers increase again this year. Don't enter any Math contests Gannon! :)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

I went to the St. John's/GCU game (back half of a double header with Arizona/Texas A&M in Phoenix) and was really impressed with them.

Only losses are to the current best team in the country (Arizona State) and to 8-2 Missouri.
:thumb:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

dbackjon wrote:I went to the St. John's/GCU game (back half of a double header with Arizona/Texas A&M in Phoenix) and was really impressed with them.

Only losses are to the current best team in the country (Arizona State) and to 8-2 Missouri.
Not according to AP, Coaches, KenPom, Sagarin, Massey....
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

If Duke, UNC, etc had Arizona State's resume this year, they would be a clear #1.

Beating the tar out of Xavier, double digit win at Kansas - no other team (Villanova is the closest) has that resume.

Nova and ASU have the best two teams at this point in the season.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:If Duke, UNC, etc had Arizona State's resume this year, they would be a clear #1.

Beating the tar out of Xavier, double digit win at Kansas - no other team (Villanova is the closest) has that resume.

There's still time. ASU moved up 11 spots in one week, this far into the season. That's a lot.

FWIW, Duke beat Michigan State (their only loss) and Florida and are ranked one spot higher than ASU. Yes, they have one loss, but they have two wins as good as ASU.

The homer runs strong with you.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote:
dbackjon wrote:If Duke, UNC, etc had Arizona State's resume this year, they would be a clear #1.

There's still time. ASU moved up 11 spots in one week, this far into the season. That's a lot.

FWIW, Duke beat Michigan State (their only loss) and Florida and are ranked one spot higher than ASU. Yes, they have one loss, but they have two wins as good as ASU.

Why would I be an ASU homer? I went to NAU. Grew up in Illinois.

Sorry, you're wrong :nod:

ASU and Villanova have navigated their schedules with 0 losses. Let alone a bad loss like Boston College

BC has played 4 teams from power conferences:

Duke
AZGrizTech
Providence
Nebraska

Only managed to beat Duke.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Don't enter any Math contests Gannon! :)
Do they not teach math at nova? You do realize growth in viewership is slowing at FS1 for Big East games, right? Increase of 59.6% in year 1, and then just an increase of 16% in year 2. That's an increase in viewers but a decline in growth, and a precipitous one at that. Considering that they are still more than 1 million viewers behind both ESPN and CBS, that's a long way to catch up, especially when there's only one big dog in the conference (okay, 2 if you want to include Xavier, which is valid). Problem is, nova and Xavier can only play each other twice before the conference tournament, and no, games against Seton Hall (just lost to mighty Rutgers), Butler, and Creighton aren't going to bring in the viewers - those teams aren't any good. Thankfully, nova's deep enough that the daily practices should be enough to keep them ready for when the season starts in mid March. Losing to a middling team from a better conference again like losing to Wisconsin last year is going to start making the lack of a real regular season schedule become more and more of an issue. Memphis by themselves couldn't make CUSA into a viable power conference, and nova by themselves can't keep the Big East afloat either.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
89Hen wrote: There's still time. ASU moved up 11 spots in one week, this far into the season. That's a lot.

Why would I be an ASU homer? I went to NAU. Grew up in Illinois.

Sorry, you're wrong :nod:

ASU and Villanova have navigated their schedules with 0 losses. Let alone a bad loss like Boston College

BC has played 4 teams from power conferences:

Duke
AZGrizTech
Providence
Nebraska

Only managed to beat Duke.
All just a leadup to March. Duke will certainly be one of the 10 or so teams that can win it all. I think ASU might be able to be in that group, will be interesting to see how they hold up over the season. Still pretty far back in the pack on kenpom (sitting #31) and he's normally pretty good about separating the wheat from the chaff. Their adjusted defense rating is horrid (#127) so that doesn't necessarily bode well going forward.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote:
vutomcat wrote: Don't enter any Math contests Gannon! :)
Do they not teach math at nova? You do realize growth in viewership is slowing at FS1 for Big East games, right? Increase of 59.6% in year 1, and then just an increase of 16% in year 2. That's an increase in viewers but a decline in growth, and a precipitous one at that. Considering that they are still more than 1 million viewers behind both ESPN and CBS, that's a long way to catch up, especially when there's only one big dog in the conference (okay, 2 if you want to include Xavier, which is valid). Problem is, nova and Xavier can only play each other twice before the conference tournament, and no, games against Seton Hall (just lost to mighty Rutgers), Butler, and Creighton aren't going to bring in the viewers - those teams aren't any good. Thankfully, nova's deep enough that the daily practices should be enough to keep them ready for when the season starts in mid March. Losing to a middling team from a better conference again like losing to Wisconsin last year is going to start making the lack of a real regular season schedule become more and more of an issue. Memphis by themselves couldn't make CUSA into a viable power conference, and nova by themselves can't keep the Big East afloat either.

Current members of the Big East tournament bids- 242
Current members of Conference USA with bids- 112

There is no comparison between the two conferences. The Big East is simply much better and far deeper than CUSA has ever been. Only the ACC has over 300 bids. The other power conferences are at 298, 269,248 and 246. Those would be the conferences comparable to the current Big East.

And, growing is better than declining which is what's happening over at ESPN and CBS. Just grabbed these numbers of regular season viewership off Wikipedia.

'15-16 (000) '14-15 (000) '13-14 (000)

CBS 1,471 1,642 1,800

ESPN 1,232 1,376 1,454

ESPN2 362 426 414

ESPNU 118 125 140

FS1 109 100 94
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

There is no comparison between the two conferences. The Big East is simply much better and far deeper than CUSA has ever been. Only the ACC has over 300 bids. The other power conferences are at 298, 269,248 and 246. Those would be the conferences comparable to the current Big East.

And, growing is better than declining which is what's happening over at ESPN and CBS. Just grabbed these numbers of regular season viewership off Wikipedia.

CBS 1,471 1,642 1,800

ESPN 1,232 1,376 1,454

ESPN2 362 426 414

ESPNU 118 125 140

FS1 109 100 94
Your reading comprehension is right up there with your math skills. The new Big East isn't like the CUSA now, that's not the comparison. The comparison is the CUSA right after all the other teams left and left Memphis to run the league by itself. Memphis and the league held out for awhile, but eventually Memphis was dragged under by the mediocrity. nova has it better because Jay Wright is fantastic and as long as he's there (and he won't leave like Calipari left Memphis) nova will be fine. But there's nothing else in the conference, outside of Xavier, who looks like a consistent winner. NCAA bids are great, but we've been there, very few teams make it out of the first weekend, and unfortunately, that's included nova too many times recently. It would be helpful to the team and better for the fans to have actual games to watch between early December and mid March, but alas, that doesn't look like it's in the cards in this conference.

And yes, math-wise, if those trends continue, then in 50 years Big East tv viewership might be close to the viewership of other conferences. Super. :rofl:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote:
vutomcat wrote: [/b]

CBS 1,471 1,642 1,800

ESPN 1,232 1,376 1,454

ESPN2 362 426 414

ESPNU 118 125 140

FS1 109 100 94
Your reading comprehension is right up there with your math skills. The new Big East isn't like the CUSA now, that's not the comparison. The comparison is the CUSA right after all the other teams left and left Memphis to run the league by itself. Memphis and the league held out for awhile, but eventually Memphis was dragged under by the mediocrity. nova has it better because Jay Wright is fantastic and as long as he's there (and he won't leave like Calipari left Memphis) nova will be fine. But there's nothing else in the conference, outside of Xavier, who looks like a consistent winner. NCAA bids are great, but we've been there, very few teams make it out of the first weekend, and unfortunately, that's included nova too many times recently. It would be helpful to the team and better for the fans to have actual games to watch between early December and mid March, but alas, that doesn't look like it's in the cards in this conference.

And yes, math-wise, if those trends continue, then in 50 years Big East tv viewership might be close to the viewership of other conferences. Super. :rofl:
whenever you have to resort the emojis I know you realize you've been exposed. Wow, how dense can you get!

the numbers I gave you are the historical numbers for the programs in each conference which is very much on point. Those programs (without Cal's Memphis)don't compare with the Big East programs (without Jay's Cats) and never did whether you want to admit it or not. The numbers don't lie but now YOU... (picture your emoji of choice here)
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

That conference on the right would have a pretty good chance of sweeping the conference on the left.

2006 Conference USA / Current Big East
/
Memphis / Villanova
Central Florida / Xavier
Houston / Georgetown
Tulsa / Butler
Tulane / Marquette
Southern Mississippi / Seton Hall
Rice / Creighton
Marshall / Providence
Texas El-Paso / St. Johns
Southern Methodist / Depaul
East Carolina
UAB
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GF:

"Butler, and Creighton aren't going to bring in the viewers - those teams aren't any good."

You can't make it up.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Fuck Creighton....

That's all.

I'll check back in when they fail to make it out of the first weekend yet again and then disappear until next year.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:GF:

"Butler, and Creighton aren't going to bring in the viewers - those teams aren't any good."

You can't make it up.
Just because nova forgot how to play defense through the last three halves of basketball (last half against DePaul and then the Butler debacle) does not make Butler a good team. Three bad halves of defensive basketball has dropped nova's kenpom D efficiency ranking by almost 20 spots. On the bright side, it's still 3 months until the games really matter so nova has time to plug the leaks that have sprouted up all of a sudden on defense.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Shooting 15-22 (68%) from 3 point range and you might be a good team. Shoot that against the #1 team in the country and you are a good team.
12-4 record with wins over Nova, Utah and Ohio State cements it. They're good. No bad losses either- MD, Tx, Purdue and X. All very good teams. Big difference when they shoot 25% from 3 point land as they did last night against X. Shoot like that against Nova and they lose by double digits.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Shooting 15-22 (68%) from 3 point range and you might be a good team. Shoot that against the #1 team in the country and you are a good team.
12-4 record with wins over Nova, Utah and Ohio State cements it. They're good. No bad losses either- MD, Tx, Purdue and X. All very good teams. Big difference when they shoot 25% from 3 point land as they did last night against X. Shoot like that against Nova and they lose by double digits.
nova has given up 50 points in each of the last 3 halves of basketball, including a half against crappy DePaul. That's not a trend that nova wants to continue. It's still super early and the games that really matter don't happen until mid March, but teams want to be in the top 20 for def efficiency as measured by kenpom to be a legitimate national title contender. nova's recent trend to stop playing defense has moved them out of the range temporarily. They fix that and they'll be in better position come March.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

clenz wrote:**** Creighton....

That's all.

I'll check back in when they fail to make it out of the first weekend yet again and then disappear until next year.
And you can give us an update on that dangerous UT Arlington (Creighton victim) team that "will be really dangerous come March".
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Three players with fx. hands this season for the Cats. Need to drink more milk.

Booth sidelined with a Fx. hand. ----

In the closing minutes of Tuesday night’s Villanova-Providence game, Phil Booth left early and headed into the locker room with what appeared to be a hand or wrist injury.

The morning after, his injury was announced and diagnosed as a fractured right hand. The school announced that he would be out indefinitely.

“All of us are disappointed for Phil,” said Villanova Wildcats head coach Jay Wright in a statement announcing the news. “He is one of our captains and the respect for him among his teammates is off the charts. Phil is as mentally tough a player as we have had in our program. We know he’ll come back better and stronger from this.”

Booth is the third Wildcat to go down with a similar injury this season. Freshmen Collin Gillespie and Jermaine Samuels injured their hands in practice. Samuels is still out, while Gillespie is back in action and will now likely see an uptick in minutes.

As for Booth, this is another unfortunate battle with the injury bug, as he played in just three games last season before succumbing to plaguing knee issues.

This season, Booth has started in all 20 games for the ‘Cats, averaging 11.6 points per game and shooting 43.0 percent from deep. He ranks second in the Big East, right behind teammate Jalen Brunson, boasting a 2.5 assist-to-turnover ratio.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Go figure St.John's can't win inside their conference but they can pull off the biggest upset of the year beating DUKE!!!!