Koch brothers network spending more to save the GOP in the midterms than ever before

Political discussions
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Koch brothers network spending more to save the GOP in the midterms than ever before

Post by VictorG »

400 Million plus!!! IMO this crap is the root of the problem. American politics is for sale.........always has been......both sides! :nod:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/27/politics ... index.html
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Koch brothers network spending more to save the GOP in the midterms than ever before

Post by 93henfan »

That’s OK. Soros will balance them out, and he’ll also send Antifa to ensure peaceful polling places!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Koch brothers network spending more to save the GOP in the midterms than ever before

Post by GannonFan »

Money isn't the root of all evil in politics, but rather the lack of good ideas and the lack of decent people to see those ideas through. Politics today is about power, getting it and holding on to it. Both parties are identical in that regard.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

And why is money in politics so important, Socrates asked. No one wants to ask that question.

If elections are being decided by 30-second ads on Entertainment Tonight and Social Media outreach/campaigns, then we're already screwed.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

Pwns wrote:And why is money in politics so important, Socrates asked. No one wants to ask that question.

If elections are being decided by 30-second ads on Entertainment Tonight and Social Media outreach/campaigns, then we're already screwed.
Have to agree here. IMO, the attention span and interest level of the public in general is less than a 30 second spot on TV.
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

All of us really need for the Democrats to win the House this year; even those of us who don't realize it. We have a serious corruption of the United States system going on right now. Stuff like a guy who was on the Trump transition team serving as head of the House intelligence committee having his staff writing a memo on purported misconduct by the institution investigating the Trump transition team. This is ridiculous and you Republican/Conservative guys on this board would be raising holy hell if something like that was happening with a Democrat Congress and a Democrat President.

We need a Congress controlled by the Party other than the President's Party right now. There was a time when one reason why I favored the Republican Party over the Democrat Party is because I believed the Republican Party wouldn't do crap like this. But that time is obviously past. We need a legitimate check on this situation and that's not going to happen with the Republicans in control of Congress.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:Money isn't the root of all evil in politics, but rather the lack of good ideas and the lack of decent people to see those ideas through. Politics today is about power, getting it and holding on to it. Both major parties are identical in that regard.
FIFY
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:All of us really need for the Democrats to win the House this year; even those of us who don't realize it. We have a serious corruption of the United States system going on right now. Stuff like a guy who was on the Trump transition team serving as head of the House intelligence committee having his staff writing a memo on purported misconduct by the institution investigating the Trump transition team. This is ridiculous and you Republican/Conservative guys on this board would be raising holy hell if something like that was happening with a Democrat Congress and a Democrat President.

We need a Congress controlled by the Party other than the President's Party right now. There was a time when one reason why I favored the Republican Party over the Democrat Party is because I believed the Republican Party wouldn't do crap like this. But that time is obviously past. We need a legitimate check on this situation and that's not going to happen with the Republicans in control of Congress.
Some conservatarian you are. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

LIONS!
TIGERS!
SOROS!
KOCHS!

OH MY!
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote:All of us really need for the Democrats to win the House this year; even those of us who don't realize it. We have a serious corruption of the United States system going on right now. Stuff like a guy who was on the Trump transition team serving as head of the House intelligence committee having his staff writing a memo on purported misconduct by the institution investigating the Trump transition team. This is ridiculous and you Republican/Conservative guys on this board would be raising holy hell if something like that was happening with a Democrat Congress and a Democrat President.

:rofl:

JSO mansplaining to himself. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Telling me the Donks won't be corrupt is like telling me my ice cream won't be cold. Democrats are not open minded liberals and Republicans are not conservative. And the beat goes on.........
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:And why is money in politics so important, Socrates asked. No one wants to ask that question.

Why is money in politics so important?

There, I asked it.

Money almost always wins over principle. When you have only two parties, bought and paid for, often by the same monied interests, there ain't much choice to change the status quo and benefit the majority of voters.

Spending heavily on elections provides a decent to very good ROI. Corporations and people who play that game aren't making frivolous spending decisions. These are calculated business decisions. They expect and most often receive exactly what they pay for. This not only effects politics, but also hurts the free market.

If you're for virtually unlimited spending on campaigns like we currently have, you hate capitalism AND democracy.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:

There, I asked it.

Money almost always wins over principle. When you have only two parties, bought and paid for, often by the same monied interests, there ain't much choice to change the status quo and benefit the majority of voters.

Spending heavily on elections provides a decent to very good ROI. Corporations and people who play that game aren't making frivolous spending decisions. These are calculated business decisions. They expect and most often receive exactly what they pay for. This not only effects politics, but also hurts the free market.

If you're for virtually unlimited spending on campaigns like we currently have, you hate capitalism AND democracy.
Unless you're a 3rd party candidate, most campaigns are awash in money. The only real outliers are the hotly contested campaigns, like the GA06 earlier this year. Ossoff spent 6X more than Handle and he ended up the loser. That situation isn't all that uncommon among outliers.
My issue isn't so much the money, but where it comes from. What I don't like is money coming from California, New York, Massachusetts, and Illinois to be spent and influence an election in Georgia. Only 16% of Ossoff's campaign contributions were from Georgia, and that is ridiculous.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote:
kalm wrote:

There, I asked it.

Unless you're a 3rd party candidate, most campaigns are awash in money. The only real outliers are the hotly contested campaigns, like the GA06 earlier this year. Ossoff spent 6X more than Handle and he ended up the loser. That situation isn't all that uncommon among outliers.
My issue isn't so much the money, but where it comes from. What I don't like is money coming from California, New York, Massachusetts, and Illinois to be spent and influence an election in Georgia. Only 16% of Ossoff's campaign contributions were from Georgia, and that is ridiculous.
My issue is still the money because local donations still influence political outcomes and sometimes to the detriment of the voters in that district as well as the free market.

But I totally agree with outside money. :nod:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Baldy wrote: Unless you're a 3rd party candidate, most campaigns are awash in money. The only real outliers are the hotly contested campaigns, like the GA06 earlier this year. Ossoff spent 6X more than Handle and he ended up the loser. That situation isn't all that uncommon among outliers.
My issue is still the money because local donations still influence political outcomes and sometimes to the detriment of the voters in that district as well as the free market.

But I totally agree with outside money. :nod:
Yet another issue on which us backwoods hicks are leading the charge. :coffee:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/ ... 74084.html
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

This shocks the hell out of me!!! very happy to see this! :thumb:
- Mark Twain
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:

Some conservatarian you are. :coffee:
I am as conservative as they come. This is serious. The Republican Party is attacking the things that protect us from Autocratic government right now. A true conservative should want the Republican Party slapped down at this time. It's a shame that is the choice before us. But it is what it is.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came