College Hoops discussion
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: March Madness 2018

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:JJ Redick was hated but that was more of jealousy, IMO.
Still one of my favorites...

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Eh, I started to like Duke in the mid 80's (still a UD and a Big 5 fan first) when I wasn't a fan of Michael Jordan (ironically, didn't like him when he was young, but learned to appreciate and like him as his career went along). So rooting against UNC led me to root for Duke. I don't recall them winning a lot of national titles in the 80's, so I'm good with that. Besides, they play attractive basketball, nothing wrong about appreciating well played basketball.

Heck, I'd argue that the real bandwagoning are the folks who just hate Duke to hate Duke. No tie in to the area, and your team doesn't play them much, if ever, and yet you still hate them. That's a textbook definition of jumping a bandwagon. Either that or go back to my original premise of the hate being irrational. Take your pick.
So Dook is your 7th favorite team? Or is it? What about Notre Dame? How do you spread your loyalty around so much?

Seriously, I can respect someone who picks a team early and stays with them. Of course, my son has done the same thing with the Patriots so maybe there are more similarities than you are comfortable admitting.
It's college basketball, I like watching college basketball, and certain teams (out of the 300+ or so) are fun to watch. This isn't the NFL so stop comparing it to that. I'm looking forward to Loyola-Chicago playing this weekend and will be rooting for them. But like with most of the teams I watch, I'm not getting all geared up with stuff to wear and I'm not travelling to see the team play. You're quite the curmudgeon - need to make sure you get that vote in the other thread. :nod:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by Rob Iola »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:On second thought Dook fans are more like Patriot fans than Cowboy fans.
Minus the blind support of rampant flopping, of course. :thumb:
FIFY
Proletarians of the world, unite!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by GannonFan »

Rob Iola wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Minus the blind support of rampant flopping, of course. :thumb:
FIFY
Nah, flopping used to be a think Duke did, like 30 years ago back during the Laettner years (actually, those Arkansas teams in the mid 90's were the real kings of flopping - those guys seemed to try to take a charge every other possession), but you don't see rampant displays of it anymore. For that matter, you don't see as much of it anymore in college basketball. Sure, you still see it, but not anywhere as frequent as it used to be. Having the restricted area under the basket was a huge improvement in cutting back on flopping.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

Should have seen Bilsky and Wohl on the early 70's Penn teams. They were really good at it.
Last edited by vutomcat on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »