89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 9/11

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Have you met Spandos? He begs to differ.
Heck, spandos would probably like to talk to the guy who was with JSO - seems like that guy knew a lot of what was going to happen, probably was in on it. :coffee:
Sounds like JSO might think so as well. ;)
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

I was a Major and the deputy commander of a WMD response team. As the deputy, I was in Peoria IL for an equipment meeting with all the other deputy’s (There were 10 teams at the time). We all watched the second plane hit, and then someone came into the meeting room and told us we’re had been ordered to go to a more secure location.

Late in the afternoon, we were told to return to our units...however we could. I rode with a couple of guys heading to NOLA...they dropped me off in Jackson MS, where I caught a Greyhound Bus to Dallas, then Austin...

We were on alert for deployment, but it never happened. One team was deployed to NYC but the rest of us stayed home.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:houndawg:
"I couldn't figure out why there wasn't any planes flying over the Heartland. Went to the General Store and heard the news.'
Lack of air traffic was actually the strangest thing in the days after. I live in the direct flight path of Reagan and in the larger paths of Dulles, BWI and Andrews. My office is a wheels down area for Reagan. Planes overhead is just something you get used to. It was eerily quiet those next few days. Then they started talking about the possibility of small planes being used to attack. Maybe three days after 9/11 we heard a prop plane and everyone immediately stopped in their tracks.

I will say, to this day I every time I see a plane banking for approach down the Potomac River it makes think of the second plane into the WTC. I keep thinking it's going down. :?

grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

CAA Flagship wrote:
GATW:
"Was waking up from a long weekend hangover on the couch at grizzaholic's house. I tripped over SE while trying to find the remote to turn up the volume on the TV."
This is false for a number of reasons.

There is no electricity in Montana, as far as you know.
SE is no longer allowed into the state.
GATW, while always being welcome at my place, couldn't ever make it up the driveway in his skinny jeans.
Something about being loud and cold.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

Freshman in high school.

Woke up after the first plane and we all assumed it was a small plane.

My parents were big into the Today Show and we watched the second plane hit the WTC, then I think it was Tim Russert from the Pentagon, who cut in to say that he felt like a bomb had gone off there and that people were running everywhere around him. No one knew where the next one was going to hit. Crazy. We were glued to the TV all day like everyone else.

My most vivid memory though...

My mom retrieved me from school that day and we rode by a church nearby, where a Red Cross station was set up. The line to give blood was snaking around the block. It was crazy. Will never forget that sight.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

heard the first plane hit while driving to work in Nashville. Spent most of the day either in the breakroom watching small TV, or trying to hit up overloaded websites.
:thumb:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Just watched the ESPN special on sports' impact after 9/11.
It was interesting to see what the national anthem meant to everyone in attendance at all the different sporting events at that time. It was healing, venting, uplifting, motivating and so much more.
Then came Kaepernick's exploitation of it. :ohno:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I was on my first day of a two week vacation. I was single, living alone, and had gotten up that morning to decide where I was going to go on my vacay.

Another cop called me and said to turn on the TV. I was sure we had been attacked the second I saw the building. A B-25 once hit the Empire State Building back in the 1940s but that was in a fog, and that kind of thing just doesn't happen accidentally, especially with large aircraft. Then the second plane hit and that sealed it.

The brother of the drummer in our band was NYPD and I contacted him to see if they needed help the next day. He said a bunch of guys were coming up, and he had met a couple from Metro Dade. He said they were putting guys to work, so to come on up. I gave my LT a courtesy call to let her know I was volunteering, got in touch with my aunt who lives in Greenwich Village so I'd have a place to lay my head, and then loaded up the truck. Then I touched base with my NYPD buddy who said that they were now swamped with cops from all over, and specialized rescue teams were taking care of the pile, so I might want to just stay home and enjoy my vacation. He also said that everywhere within 5 blocks of the pile smelled like DOA.

I know at least 3 people who were at the pile who now have cancer. My classmate who was our Regimental Commander at The Citadel is one of them.

If not for 9/11, there would not have been a GWOT. I would not have volunteered to go to Iraq, I would not have gotten acquainted with the State Dept while I was there. I also likely would not have met my wife. It's strange how things happen.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Was just leaving for a two week vacation (my family's high school graduation present to me) to the PNW and remember listing to NPR while driving down the interstate. We stopped at a family friends house for lunch and watched it on the TV for awhile. Remember one of their daughters (about 15 years old) just kept repeating why would somebody do that and my only thought was welcome to the real world. Only real impact to our trip was that we could not get a tour of the Grand Coulee dam due to security concerns. It was a big deal to me as I have always been fascinated about them and how they built it. Was looking forward to getting a tour. But we had a blast camping around the coast and riding my bike in the ocean.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:Just watched the ESPN special on sports' impact after 9/11.
It was interesting to see what the national anthem meant to everyone in attendance at all the different sporting events at that time. It was healing, venting, uplifting, motivating and so much more.

You mean the NFL's and Military's exploitation...it wasn't until 2008-9 when players were on the field for the anthem - and the military PAID the NFL to do so, so to help recruiting for the endless war based on lies
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

DId the rest of you in other parts of the country have cell phone issues. That was one of the more difficult things. Mrs89 was on foot from her office and I was in the car and could not reach her. Very few calls going through. Her sister finally got her on her cell and me on her land line so we could find each other. Metro was shut down so people were literally walking home from DC. It might have actually been faster.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:DId the rest of you in other parts of the country have cell phone issues. That was one of the more difficult things. Mrs89 was on foot from her office and I was in the car and could not reach her. Very few calls going through. Her sister finally got her on her cell and me on her land line so we could find each other. Metro was shut down so people were literally walking home from DC. It might have actually been faster.
Nope. Didn't have those here until 2008.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:DId the rest of you in other parts of the country have cell phone issues. That was one of the more difficult things. Mrs89 was on foot from her office and I was in the car and could not reach her. Very few calls going through. Her sister finally got her on her cell and me on her land line so we could find each other. Metro was shut down so people were literally walking home from DC. It might have actually been faster.
No phone issues, but the internet was very slow at work, with people trying to get more information.

My wife was in Chicago, and was lucky to get in with a group of 6 on a rental car heading back to Minny.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Just watched the ESPN special on sports' impact after 9/11.

You mean the NFL's and Military's exploitation...it wasn't until 2008-9 when players were on the field for the anthem - and the military PAID the NFL to do so, so to help recruiting for the endless war based on lies
I have never been a fan of football players being on the field during the anthem. It's an adrenaline buzzkill. Takes away from the final locker room speech before the game.

phpBB [video]
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Nope, only had a land line back then. We were a late adopter of the cell phone. ;)
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
No phone issues, but the internet was very slow at work, with people trying to get more information.

My wife was in Chicago, and was lucky to get in with a group of 6 on a rental car heading back to Minny.
Yeah, same thing - no cell phone issues (assuming you weren't calling into NYC or DC) but I remember the internet slowing down, or at least the accessing of news sites. CNN used to do that back in the day when there were big stories.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Yeah, same thing - no cell phone issues (assuming you weren't calling into NYC or DC) but I remember the internet slowing down, or at least the accessing of news sites. CNN used to do that back in the day when there were big stories.
Looking back...the internet was always slow in 2001. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

That was a big problem in DC and NYC...and would be a big problem today if a massive event occurred today...

The system can only handle so much...the difference today is that phone companies can bring in mobile cell towers a day or two after an event to increase capacity...

The military at the Pentagon had just started getting BlackBerry’s when the plane hit...and a couple of reporters noticed they were able to get text messages through when cell phones could not get through...that helped the smart phone explosion...

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:
That was a big problem in DC and NYC...and would be a big problem today if a massive event occurred today...

The system can only handle so much...the difference today is that phone companies can bring in mobile cell towers a day or two after an event to increase capacity...

The military at the Pentagon had just started getting BlackBerry’s when the plane hit...and a couple of reporters noticed they were able to get text messages through when cell phones could not get through...that helped the smart phone explosion...
Mobile carriers have gotten smarter and they stage with 1st Responders, utility workers, et al to go in with them after a storm to get those comms up quickly.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

Mobile carriers have gotten smarter and they stage with 1st Responders, utility workers, et al to go in with them after a storm to get those comms up quickly.
Agreed...for storms...but for something like 9-11, it would take them a day or two to spin up the additional capacity

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Mobile carriers have gotten smarter and they stage with 1st Responders, utility workers, et al to go in with them after a storm to get those comms up quickly.
Agreed...for storms...but for something like 9-11, it would take them a day or two to spin up the additional capacity
For an unexpected event, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I was carpooling to work with my wife and we had stopped off for a latte at Starbucks.

I remember commenting to my wife how douchey Scottsdale, AZ had gotten with everyone on their phones.

It wasn't until I walked in the door to work that I knew what was going on.

We normally listened to the radio, but didn't that day.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Was a senior in high school. I typically watched the news before heading to school, turned it on and the first tower was already hit. Saw the 2nd plane hit on live TV. The whole week all we did in class was watch the news. Crazy stuff.

My dad works at North Island so they sent all the civilian contractors home. He went to take money out of the bank to buy a new piano and they wouldn't let him do it until he showed them the piano sale ad. Fucking bankers. :ohno:
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Go Black Bears!
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie