Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Campus Happenings

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
Yeah.

Wish western NC and eastern TN could have split off on their own.

Area around Boone - "the Lost Provinces" - was always economically linked more to eastern Tennessee than Raleigh. Less so now - after the Tweetsie stopped and then 421 expanded.

Some App fans that don't know the history are very confused why we play the "Tennessee Waltz" after football games.
Quite frankly, I think east TN / western NC would have made a very nice state.
What would you call it? East Tennessee or West North Carolina?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Quite frankly, I think east TN / western NC would have made a very nice state.
What would you call it? East Tennessee or West North Carolina?
I’d call it “Not Florida”

The state motto would be “Don’t retire here, it’s cold and snowy”
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Saw this on the BBC - apparently clapping now creates a threatening environment. The University of Manchester has banned clapping in favor of jazz hands.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45717841
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Ibanez wrote:
Bisonfanatical wrote:
Someone would have to show me that the south DECLARED that when they fired the first shot at Ft Sumpter ... it was over slaves.

Just find one history book to back it up ... the winner writes history, must be thousands of books stating that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Schools have failed you. Nobody is going to say that a declaration like that was spoken before we fired on Ft. Sumter. It would behoove you to educate yourself. If you want the Southern version of events or rational, go read the Ordinances of Secession from SC, Texas, Alabama, Virginia. Read “The Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union.” Or the "Address to the People of the Slaveholding States," which cites the institution of slavery, as well as Southern taxes being disproportionately apportioned to the North.

Or how about Mississippi, which cites in it's Secession declaration:
Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world
You owe it to yourself to attempt to read and comprehend history. Yes, the victors write the history books, but there's plenty of primary documentation from the Southern states, there was a 35 year period before 1860 which is accurately and well documented showing that slavery was going to be a cause.

Hopefully, you can draw the line between secession the war. One begat another.

Consider this my spiritual work of mercy.

This, very well stated. The South came up with the states rights argument after the war to justify their cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:Saw this on the BBC - apparently clapping now creates a threatening environment. The University of Manchester has banned clapping in favor of jazz hands.

I'm probably supposed to be triggered by this article, but I quietly applaud it.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Saw this on the BBC - apparently clapping now creates a threatening environment. The University of Manchester has banned clapping in favor of jazz hands.

I'm probably supposed to be triggered by this article, but I quietly applaud it.

:lol:

No clapping

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Alan Sokal Affair Round 2:

A bunch of academics punk journals in Gender or Racial Grievance Studies into publishing nonsense papers. :lol:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/10/h ... -sciences/

https://quillette.com/2018/10/01/the-gr ... s-respond/
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote:Alan Sokal Affair Round 2:

A bunch of academics punk journals in Gender or Racial Grievance Studies into publishing nonsense papers. :lol:

BTW:
There is no actual "science" in Social Science
Unless of course by Science you mean hyperbole and conjecture

:coffee:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Chizzang wrote:

BTW:

I think the problem goes beyond social sciences. I've posted about this sort of thing a number of times. The "peer review" process is not a quality control process. If someone submits a paper that flatters the acceptable in terms of philosophy it gets a lot less scrutiny than a paper that challenges the acceptable. It's not a matter of looking at the methodology and assessing whether it is acceptable then looking at the results to see if they really support the conclusions.

And I think it's a real problem for us.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Chizzang wrote:

BTW:

You might be surprised that I say this, but I think the social sciences (at least some of them) could actually be really useful, though not they way they are done now. There are two big problems with social science:

1. They are ridiculously politically biased. There are in fact studies that show that when papers are submitted to academic journals with identical methods and research questions come to opposite conclusions, the paper with the conclusion more favorable to liberal ideology is more likely to be recommended for publication. And you can also see it by those just blindly accepting that because young black men are more likely to be killed by police than others, that there is racial bias in police killings. And there's the intense opposition to any research showing differences between the sexes are innate and not driven by society. I could give many more examples.

2. The replication crisis. People who are in the social sciences and psychology and such tend to be people that like science but aren't really strong in math. As a result you get illiteracy in statistical methods and the "p-hacking" phenomena and have only positive results getting published when many conclusions in papers that are codified into the canon of a science that can't even be replicated.

Of course, they like to hide behind the "we're the experts" thing, but if we're being honest and not politically correct, we all know the lay-person can much more easily read and understand a published paper in the social sciences than a physics journal.

BTW, if you think I'm just parroting right-wing talking points here I'm not. There's quite a few pretty influential people in academia like Steven Pinker (who can't really be accused of being right-wing) who are basically saying a lot of the same things. If done rigorously social science would probably run over a lot of both the political left and right's sacred cows.
Celebrate Diversity.*
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
BTW:

I think the problem goes beyond social sciences. I've posted about this sort of thing a number of times. The "peer review" process is not a quality control process. If someone submits a paper that flatters the acceptable in terms of philosophy it gets a lot less scrutiny than a paper that challenges the acceptable. It's not a matter of looking at the methodology and assessing whether it is acceptable then looking at the results to see if they really support the conclusions.

And I think it's a real problem for us.
Well, John, you’ve survived the toughest peer review process there is, right here on CS.com! :lol:

Anyway, I find a lot of unreviewed SSRN articles far deeper and more substantive. :twocents:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
BTW:

You might be surprised that I say this, but I think the social sciences (at least some of them) could actually be really useful, though not they way they are done now. There are two big problems with social science:

1. They are ridiculously politically biased. There are in fact studies that show that when papers are submitted to academic journals with identical methods and research questions come to opposite conclusions, the paper with the conclusion more favorable to liberal ideology is more likely to be recommended for publication. And you can also see it by those just blindly accepting that because young black men are more likely to be killed by police than others, that there is racial bias in police killings. And there's the intense opposition to any research showing differences between the sexes are innate and not driven by society. I could give many more examples.

2. The replication crisis. People who are in the social sciences and psychology and such tend to be people that like science but aren't really strong in math. As a result you get illiteracy in statistical methods and the "p-hacking" phenomena and have only positive results getting published when many conclusions in papers that are codified into the canon of a science that can't even be replicated.

Of course, they like to hide behind the "we're the experts" thing, but if we're being honest and not politically correct, we all know the lay-person can much more easily read and understand a published paper in the social sciences than a physics journal.

BTW, if you think I'm just parroting right-wing talking points here I'm not. There's quite a few pretty influential people in academia like Steven Pinker (who can't really be accused of being right-wing) who are basically saying a lot of the same things. If done rigorously social science would probably run over a lot of both the political left and right's sacred cows.
I totally agree with you ^
and I enjoy Pinker (and I'd like for him to get a haircut)

Guys like Pinker and Harris when evaluating society seem to enjoy delivering the bad news
Usually in the most interesting and entertaining ways (which is nice)

and by bad news I mean anything that pushes back against the tidal wave of Liberal contrivances
that have become the mainstream social justice calling cards

BTW: The Southern Poverty Law Center
The leader in "getting it all wrong" in this category
Is neither impoverished nor Southern

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
Pwns wrote:

I totally agree with you ^
and I enjoy Pinker (and I'd like for him to get a haircut)

Guys like Pinker and Harris when evaluating society seem to enjoy delivering the bad news
Usually in the most interesting and entertaining ways (which is nice)

and by bad news I mean anything that pushes back against the tidal wave of Liberal contrivances
that have become the mainstream social justice calling cards

BTW: The Southern Poverty Law Center
The leader in "getting it all wrong" in this category
Is neither impoverished nor Southern

I have a colleague who I worked with in Lagos - she's this awesome, brilliant little Alabama woman with a twang and a high Bernadette voice, and pretty liberal, especially not the norm for folks from Alabama. She was telling me about her cousin who apparently is some muckety muck with the SPLC> She didn't have much good to say about the organization except that it has little to do with justice seeking and more to do with scalding people who don't toe the social justice line... that's why you find them also going after people like Ayaan Hirsi Ali and others
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

https://www.kentucky.com/news/nation-wo ... 43455.html

SCAD students want Clarence Thomas' name taken off of building. Didn't think this kind of stuff happened anywhere in the South outside of places like Chapel Hill and Boone. :ohno:
Celebrate Diversity.*
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Pwns wrote:https://www.kentucky.com/news/nation-wo ... 43455.html

SCAD students want Clarence Thomas' name taken off of building. Didn't think this kind of stuff happened anywhere in the South outside of places like Chapel Hill and Boone. :ohno:
SCAD is an art school.

‘Nuff said.

I didn’t read the article, we’re talking about the Savannah College of Art and Design, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Notre Dame is covering up its Columbus murals because he was an evil, racist brown er I mean white guy.
https://nypost.com/2019/01/21/notre-dam ... us-murals/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote:
Pwns wrote:https://www.kentucky.com/news/nation-wo ... 43455.html

SCAD is an art school.

‘Nuff said.

I didn’t read the article, we’re talking about the Savannah College of Art and Design, right?

Correct. They are a SJW version of a mini-Liberty, but with $50K tuition. Their president makes about $10 million a year. :shock:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote:
Ibanez wrote: SCAD is an art school.

‘Nuff said.

Correct. They are a SJW version of a mini-Liberty, but with $50K tuition. Their president makes about $10 million a year. :shock:
I know all about SCAD - my wife is an alumnus. $50k tuition sounds low.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

BDKJMU wrote:Notre Dame is covering up its Columbus murals because he was an evil, racist brown er I mean white guy.
He did do fucked up things, he wasn't the first to discover North America, and he wasn't an American citizen. Why are you so triggered?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Grizalltheway wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Notre Dame is covering up its Columbus murals because he was an evil, racist brown er I mean white guy.
He did do fucked up things, he wasn't the first to discover North America, and he wasn't an American citizen. Why are you so triggered?
B/c 'Merica!
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote:
Baldy wrote: Correct. They are a SJW version of a mini-Liberty, but with $50K tuition. Their president makes about $10 million a year. :shock:
I know all about SCAD - my wife is an alumnus. $50k tuition sounds low.
My apologies. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I know all about SCAD - my wife is an alumnus. $50k tuition sounds low.
My apologies. :lol:
I wasn't being a know it all, just stating that i'm aware of SCAD and Paula Wallace. :thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
He did do **** up things, he wasn't the first to discover North America, and he wasn't an American citizen. Why are you so triggered?
Im waiting for Notre Dame to cover up references and murals depicting the Catholic Church

Columbus was just an instrument

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: He did do **** up things, he wasn't the first to discover North America, and he wasn't an American citizen. Why are you so triggered?
Im waiting for Notre Dame to cover up references and murals depicting the Catholic Church

JoltinJoe would have posted by now. :twocents:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

JoltinJoe would have posted by now. :twocents:
I was obliquely trolling for Clitz

anybody heard from the smug prick?