Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Paul Johnson to Retire

Post by Pwns »

He's a good one. He was using concepts like optionality, playbook simplicity, mobile QBs, and spread formations that are ubiquitous today back when most teams were running Power I and West Coast offenses. Urban Meyer consulted him when he started at Utah when he was building his offense. He was way ahead of his time.

It's too bad no option coach will probably be able to get a Power 5 job for at least a generation because dumb fans will attribute his lack of success to his system and not his crappy recruiting (the fact that Georgia Southern has more running backs in the NFL than Tech does should tell you all you need to know).
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I think Nebraska should've hired him back when they were still basically an option system. There was a point where Nebraska had won like >10 games every year but one with a history of using players that fit a system. They were never near the top in NFL player production but they were as good as it got in terms of consistently being near the top of college football and winning national championships. I think that them hiring Johnson would've been very interesting. It would've been a different style of option football but still option football. Instead they decided to go away from playing run-oriented option football and their program has gone pretty much downhill ever since.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Former NFL head coach Ken Whisenhunt is in the running to replace him as the new head coach!!!!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dal4018 wrote:Former NFL head coach Ken Whisenhunt is in the running to replace him as the new head coach!!!!
I HERD THIS ON ESPN 8 THE OCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Ibanez wrote:
dal4018 wrote:Former NFL head coach Ken Whisenhunt is in the running to replace him as the new head coach!!!!
I HERD THIS ON ESPN 8 THE OCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I heard this as well on WFAN sports radio.