Sun Belt 2018 Thread

All other college sports!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Sun Belt 2018 Thread

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:I might have missed something but by my quick check App State is 0-7 against the mainstream of FBS since changing subdivisions. It is not a factor in FBS. It's one more wannabe program.

When I say "mainstream" I mean what we now call the "Power 5" conferences plus Notre Dame. That's really what FBS is about. The "Group of 5" conference teams and other independents are the periphery. The world of the wannabes.
So what does that make FCS?

Jeez, John, you are Captain Buzzkill.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I might have missed something but by my quick check App State is 0-7 against the mainstream of FBS since changing subdivisions. It is not a factor in FBS. It's one more wannabe program.

When I say "mainstream" I mean what we now call the "Power 5" conferences plus Notre Dame. That's really what FBS is about. The "Group of 5" conference teams and other independents are the periphery. The world of the wannabes.
So what does that make FCS?

An interesting mash up of small state flagship universities, land grant schools, small private institutions and of course directional schools, spanning from Orono to Portland, OR that have an exciting and kick ass playoff system deciding a true champion and where small towns get lit up in December with athletics pride.

On a side note, the bowl season already started? Missed that...

phpBB [video]

What's cool...if you win is you get to experience it several times and then play for a national championship...

ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Three of those (Wake, Tennessee, and Penn State) were winnable with TN and PS being ranked as top 10 at the time.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: So what does that make FCS?

An interesting mash up of small state flagship universities, land grant schools, small private institutions and of course directional schools, spanning from Orono to Portland, OR that have an exciting and kick ass playoff system deciding a true champion and where small towns get lit up in December with athletics pride.

Most of the college football world didn't miss it. So many more people watched Tyler Bass kick the 40 yard game winning field goal in the Camellia Bowl or watched Appy skull drag MTSU in the New Orleans Bowl than will watch the FCS National Chipper.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Sun Belt 2018 Thread

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote:
kalm wrote:

Most of the college football world didn't miss it. So many more people watched Tyler Bass kick the 40 yard game winning field goal in the Camellia Bowl or watched Appy skull drag MTSU in the New Orleans Bowl than will watch the FCS National Chipper.
Why does it have to be an either/or? I'm happy that GSU and Appy are doing well and more people are watching them. No skin off my back and I'm perfectly fine being in the minority and watching the FCS playoffs. I'll catch a bowl game here or there as well.

John's hatred of GSU and Appy for moving up is almost as irrational as his hatred of the Trumpster Fire.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

:roll: You really a buzzkill. What's your deal?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JSO, are you going to be consistent and criticize the NEC, Patriot League, PFL, MEAC, and Big South (minus Kennesaw)?

Heck you don't even need to stop there. When was the last time a team from a conference outside the MVFC/Gateway, CAA/A10, SoCon, or Big Sky won a national championship? You'd have to go back to 1987.

At least the G5 conferences don't put a scholarship ceiling below the maximum allowable by the subdivision. :coffee:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

You are correct sir, we are a wannabe program. We wannabe winning, and we do. :nod:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

On an ominous note, App has also lost 8 Assistant Coaches to Louisville. From the Watauga Democrat.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... 57fc0.html
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AshevilleApp wrote:On an ominous note, App has also lost 8 Assistant Coaches to Louisville. From the Watauga Democrat.

We're #26!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/ra ... asontype/3

It would be cool to start the 2019 season ranked, but I doubt it's going to happen until the coaching fiasco settles.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Sun Belt 2018 Thread

Post by CID1990 »

ASUG8 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:On an ominous note, App has also lost 8 Assistant Coaches to Louisville. From the Watauga Democrat.

We're #26!

It would be cool to start the 2019 season ranked, but I doubt it's going to happen until the coaching fiasco settles.
Awesome!

You guys are finally getting what you always wanted!

(to be Marshall)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

CID1990 wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
We're #26!

Awesome!

(to be Marshall)

We're still 29-13 vs you guys but it's cool a KBS win a few years back is your Super Bowl.

I'll be in Chucktown this weekend and can stop by and get you some duds if you like. PM me.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
We're #26!

Awesome!

(to be Marshall)

App signed to play The Bellhops again in a couple of years. You should join us at the game. :nod:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

AshevilleApp wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Awesome!

(to be Marshall)

App signed to play The Bellhops again in a couple of years. You should join us at the game. :nod:
when making out the check, be sure to include "THE"

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:

Why write a check when a tip is sufficient?

Seriously though, if you are in country you should try and make the game.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Sun Belt 2018 Thread

Post by CID1990 »

AshevilleApp wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I've been going to KBS for years - since I was a kid...

As ive said here before, AppSt has always been my favorite NC team even though all my fam are Dookies and Tarheels

And I will be in DC that year and almost certainly will be in Boone to see us give our annual scare to a FBS team

BTW I kinda like the concept of "you gotta pay us to play us"

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:

I've been going to KBS for years - since I was a kid...

As ive said here before, AppSt has always been my favorite NC team even though all my fam are Dookies and Tarheels

And I will be in DC that year and almost certainly will be in Boone to see us give our annual scare to a FBS team

BTW I kinda like the concept of "you gotta pay us to play us"

We owe you two. :ohno: