CFP predictions

All other college sports!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: CFP predictions

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:These two games tonight are a ringing endorsement for a two-team playoff.
They should expand to 8. ND had no business in the final 4, yet again. UCF or Ohio St could have beat them, and probably a few more teams.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:These two games tonight are a ringing endorsement for a two-team playoff.
You know, I think Oklahoma may have had SOME shot if they'd have settled in earlier. The problem was that they were absolutely helpless on defense and they started off down 21-0 before their offense got going. Once they got going they were doing well enough to have some shot at just exchanging scores. They did end up with 471 yards after being at 0 total yards with 1 minute left in the first quarter.

Honestly their defense was so helpless that I think they should've started off receiving the kickoff and they should've tried an onside kick after each score they got. I also think they still had a small shot until that guy screwed up and recovered the onside kick too early. They'd have had to get that one, score a TD, then get another onside kick recovery but, though unlikely, that was not impossible. Alabama WAS having a hard time stopping the Oklahoma offense at that point.

I watched a high school playoff game one time where one team was a passing team and the other a much bigger, physical, running team. The running team dominated the whole game and the passing team absolutely could not stop them. They just ran the football right down the field and scored every time they had the ball. But the passing team managed to score enough to stay within 2 or 3 TDs. At the end of the game the passing team recovered two onside kicks in a row and won the game. They scored, got the onside kick, scored again, got the onside kick, then scored and won the football game. Final score was 49-48. Found an old article on it:

https://usatodayhss.com/2012/barbe-over ... est-monroe

If those two teams had played 100 times the running team may have won 99 of the games but on that night it worked out like that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Actually if they'd had 8 Georgia would've been in and I think all would agree Georgia is capable of beating anybody (only a massive choke kept them from beating Alabama in the SEC title game). I also think Ohio State is capable of beating anybody if you catch them on a good day. They can also lose to just about anybody when you catch them on a bad day.

Actually, looking at the CFP top 8, I think an 8 team playoff most likely would've ended up with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Ohio State in the final four and I think that's a better final four than what we got.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
You know, I think Oklahoma may have had SOME shot if they'd have settled in earlier. The problem was that they were absolutely helpless on defense and they started off down 21-0 before their offense got going. Once they got going they were doing well enough to have some shot at just exchanging scores. They did end up with 471 yards after being at 0 total yards with 1 minute left in the first quarter.

Honestly their defense was so helpless that I think they should've started off receiving the kickoff and they should've tried an onside kick after each score they got. I also think they still had a small shot until that guy screwed up and recovered the onside kick too early. They'd have had to get that one, score a TD, then get another onside kick recovery but, though unlikely, that was not impossible. Alabama WAS having a hard time stopping the Oklahoma offense at that point.

I watched a high school playoff game one time where one team was a passing team and the other a much bigger, physical, running team. The running team dominated the whole game and the passing team absolutely could not stop them. They just ran the football right down the field and scored every time they had the ball. But the passing team managed to score enough to stay within 2 or 3 TDs. At the end of the game the passing team recovered two onside kicks in a row and won the game. They scored, got the onside kick, scored again, got the onside kick, then scored and won the football game. Final score was 49-48. Found an old article on it:

If those two teams had played 100 times the running team may have won 99 of the games but on that night it worked out like that.
Dude are you capable of making a point in less than novel form?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

He learned how to make those elongated posts from your Trump rants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

css75 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

He learned how to make those elongated posts from your Trump rants.

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Actually if they'd had 8 Georgia would've been in and I think all would agree Georgia is capable of beating anybody (only a massive choke kept them from beating Alabama in the SEC title game). I also think Ohio State is capable of beating anybody if you catch them on a good day. They can also lose to just about anybody when you catch them on a bad day.

Actually, looking at the CFP top 8, I think an 8 team playoff most likely would've ended up with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Ohio State in the final four and I think that's a better final four than what we got.
Yeah, you'd definitely want them to keep it to 8 teams, because if there were 16 teams, a 4-loss #15 Texas might have knocked out Georgia or something.

Could you imagine something like that happening to a mighty SEC team? :kisswink:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Yeah, you'd definitely want them to keep it to 8 teams, because if there were 16 teams, a 4-loss #15 Texas might have knocked out Georgia or something.

Could you imagine something like that happening to a mighty SEC team? :kisswink:
Oh...if it were up to me it'd be at least 16 teams. I'd say that if there is a "FBS" conference or whatever you want to call it its champ should get an automatic bid. Same old same old. I think the system should be such that every team in a conference would control its own destiny regardless of opinion. So we've got 10 "FBS" conferences now and that means 10 automatic bids.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Oh...if it were up to me it'd be at least 16 teams. I'd say that if there is a "FBS" conference or whatever you want to call it its champ should get an automatic bid. Same old same old. I think the system should be such that every team in a conference would control its own destiny regardless of opinion. So we've got 10 "FBS" conferences now and that means 10 automatic bids.
Shouldn't the SEC get the six at-larges after the autobids in that format, because man, that is one awesome conference?

I mean, they might lose to a 4-loss (including Maryland) #15 Texas team, but other than that, their shit pretty much just doesn't stink, does it? :lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

phpBB [video]
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
phpBB [video]
:rofl:

That’ll be a UT meme for a long time
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Right now you can make the playoffs whatever you want them to be, but you'll still end up with two teams - Alabama and Clemson. No matter who else you bring up - Notre Dame (can't win a big game), Georgia (will always choke to 'Bama and apparently are now Texas's b**ch), Ohio State (got pummeled by Purdue), Texas (can only beat Georgia), Oklahoma (zero defense), UCF (one star QB away from just being a good team), Michigan (held back by Harbaugh coaching), etc - no other teams are good enough or have fewer flaws than Clemson and 'Bama. So 'Bama can skate through a weak-ass schedule because when push comes to shove, they win anyway. Make the playoffs 8 teams, make it 16 teams, and we'd still end up with the two that we have right now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:Right now you can make the playoffs whatever you want them to be, but you'll still end up with two teams - Alabama and Clemson. No matter who else you bring up - Notre Dame (can't win a big game), Georgia (will always choke to 'Bama and apparently are now Texas's b**ch), Ohio State (got pummeled by Purdue), Texas (can only beat Georgia), Oklahoma (zero defense), UCF (one star QB away from just being a good team), Michigan (held back by Harbaugh coaching), etc - no other teams are good enough or have fewer flaws than Clemson and 'Bama. So 'Bama can skate through a weak-ass schedule because when push comes to shove, they win anyway. Make the playoffs 8 teams, make it 16 teams, and we'd still end up with the two that we have right now.
The point is to quell the bitching from Ohio State and UGA fans.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Right now you can make the playoffs whatever you want them to be, but you'll still end up with two teams - Alabama and Clemson. No matter who else you bring up - Notre Dame (can't win a big game), Georgia (will always choke to 'Bama and apparently are now Texas's b**ch), Ohio State (got pummeled by Purdue), Texas (can only beat Georgia), Oklahoma (zero defense), UCF (one star QB away from just being a good team), Michigan (held back by Harbaugh coaching), etc - no other teams are good enough or have fewer flaws than Clemson and 'Bama. So 'Bama can skate through a weak-ass schedule because when push comes to shove, they win anyway. Make the playoffs 8 teams, make it 16 teams, and we'd still end up with the two that we have right now.
The point is to quell the bitching from Ohio State and UGA fans.
Easy, don't get curb-stomped by an average Purdue team and don't choke repeatedly to Alabama (and apparently now Texas as well).
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Completely disagree. Oklahoma could've beaten Alabama if they didn't sleep walk through the first quarter, and UGA proved they're capable of beating Alabama. If you put UGA and Oklahoma in there then probably about 50% of the time that final is Alabama and Clemson. And having to play a series of several games just means there's even more of a chance of a team slipping up.

Alabama and Clemson aren't to the FBS what NDSU is to the FCS, not even close.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:
Completely disagree. Oklahoma could've beaten Alabama if they didn't sleep walk through the first quarter, and UGA proved they're capable of beating Alabama. If you put UGA and Oklahoma in there then probably about 50% of the time that final is Alabama and Clemson. And having to play a series of several games just means there's even more of a chance of a team slipping up.

Please, Oklahoma would never have beaten Alabama. OK didn't sleepwalk through a quarter, they got blasted. The sleepwalking was what Alabama did for the last three quarters of the game as they easily held OK off with half an effort and still won comfortably. And UGA hasn't proven anything other than they are very good at losing almost every big game they play. The only reason why Clemson didn't play Alabama in last year's finals was because they slotted them to play in the semis. Separate them in the semis last year and it would be 4 years in a row in the finals for those two. That's even more dominance, by two teams, than NDSU.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

GannonFan wrote:
Pwns wrote:

Please, Oklahoma would never have beaten Alabama. OK didn't sleepwalk through a quarter, they got blasted. The sleepwalking was what Alabama did for the last three quarters of the game as they easily held OK off with half an effort and still won comfortably. And UGA hasn't proven anything other than they are very good at losing almost every big game they play. The only reason why Clemson didn't play Alabama in last year's finals was because they slotted them to play in the semis. Separate them in the semis last year and it would be 4 years in a row in the finals for those two. That's even more dominance, by two teams, than NDSU.
You don't think Oklahoma and UGA could've beaten Clemson last year? I'm going to disagree with that, based on not just the results of the playoff but the eyeball test.

And as for the bolded, I see it differently, and this from someone who predicted Alabama to win big and made fun of Big 12 offenses.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

The only team with a shot at beating Alabama is clempson

All else is noise

All other pretenders to the throne have been exposed as frauds this past week

Right now, there are two teams out-recruiting, out-playing, and out-coaching everybody else, and that's the two teams playing in the final...

This year, the playoff could have been titled, "who gets to lose to clempson and Alabama before they play each other"

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: The point is to quell the bitching from Ohio State and UGA fans.
Easy, don't get curb-stomped by an average Purdue team and don't choke repeatedly to Alabama (and apparently now Texas as well).
The playoffs should be expanded, there's a lot of analysis over why Ohio St, UGA and even UCF should've been in. I'm not going to re-hash it. I think you've all have read the same ESPN, AP, Bleacher Report articles as I have.

Expand it, make it more interesting and quell the bitching. :coffee:

Quell is my word of the week. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
The playoffs should be expanded, there's a lot of analysis over why Ohio St, UGA and even UCF should've been in. I'm not going to re-hash it. I think you've all have read the same ESPN, AP, Bleacher Report articles as I have.

Expand it, make it more interesting and quell the bitching. :coffee:

Quell is my word of the week. :lol:
I don't think anyone is disregarding that, but this year, like the few before it, an expanded playoffs would've just made it a slower walk to get to the same place we'd be in a smaller playoff - a Clemson/'Bama final. It's just like how FCS is with the playoff system just being a way for NDSU to bide their time before they go to Frisco, except this is with two teams. This is the FBS version of Wisc-Whitewater and Mt Union. Luckily for FBS, if that example is true then there's an end in sight - just could still be a ways off though.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Can’t we just go back to the BCS model?

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

css75 wrote:Can’t we just go back to the BCS model?

Why? This year notwithstanding, the semis have produced some entertaining games.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

css75 wrote:Can’t we just go back to the BCS model?

Why? They'd be better off with the FCS model (i.e. a REAL playoff)....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.