Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: NDSU vs. EWU National Championship Game Thread

Post by Silenoz »

89Hen wrote:
Silenoz wrote: Race you to 6 losses
Hens play two I-A teams in Pitt and NDSU, so we've got a head start.
You'd think that.

@USD (tossup)
UNA (tossup)
Oregon (L)
Monmouth (W)
@Davis (L)
ISU (tossup)
@Sac State (tossup)
EWU (L)
@PSU (tossup)
Idaho (tossup)
@Weber (L)
@MSU (L)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I bet it's a real circle jerk over at AGS.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote:I bet it's a real circle jerk over at AGS.
Lots of kudos for EWU over there.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I hope they stand up to expectations.
Your sandbagging has never worked, but keep trying. :kisswink:
I have no idea how good the Bison will be next year. New coach, new QB, and replacing 24 Seniors.

All I know for sure is that I have tickets for the next game.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: NDSU vs. EWU National Championship Game Thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

Silenoz wrote:
89Hen wrote: Hens play two I-A teams in Pitt and NDSU, so we've got a head start.
You'd think that.

@USD (tossup)
UNA (tossup)
Oregon (L)
Monmouth (W)
@Davis (L)
ISU (tossup)
@Sac State (tossup)
EWU (L)
@PSU (tossup)
Idaho (tossup)
@Weber (L)
@MSU (L)
C'mon dude! That's why we fired a coach who had to pick up the pieces, work with a scholarship reduction and had a winning record, for a new coach that had an even worse record.

Year 2 of RTD in on full throttle.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Silenoz wrote: Race you to 6 losses
Hens play two I-A teams in Pitt and NDSU, so we've got a head start.
Now you’re sounding like the Holy Cross dude on AGS and several other FCS fans on various social media asking NDSU to leave because they’re just too good.

Maybe the PL and CAA should drop back to 10 game seasons and be non-playoff participants.... :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Hens play two I-A teams in Pitt and NDSU, so we've got a head start.
Now you’re sounding like the Holy Cross dude on AGS and several other FCS fans on various social media asking NDSU to leave because they’re just too good.

Maybe the PL and CAA should drop back to 10 game seasons and be non-playoff participants.... :lol:
You hear what you want. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

You hear what you want. :coffee:
You called NDSU “1A”. Maybe that was a typo then? :?

I enjoy watching elite 1AA football and loved playing NDSU the last 3 seasons. Hope we can get another home and home scheduled. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: You hear what you want. :coffee:

I enjoy watching elite 1AA football and loved playing NDSU the last 3 seasons. Hope we can get another home and home scheduled. :thumb:
Another Frisco game would be fun. Still finishing up a home and home with former I-AA royalty.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:

Another Frisco game would be fun. Still finishing up a home and home with former I-AA royalty.
I'm actually proud of Delaware for stepping out of their footprint and away from West Chester and DSU to challenge themselves against other power conferences. Towson and Elon have been doing the same. It's good to see. :clap:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:I'm actually proud of Delaware for stepping out of their footprint and away from West Chester and DSU to challenge themselves against other power conferences. Towson and Elon have been doing the same. It's good to see. :clap:
Meh, I'd rather lose to NDSU in the playoffs than the regular season. Keep bringing me Patriot patsies to play at home. 8-)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:I'm actually proud of Delaware for stepping out of their footprint and away from West Chester and DSU to challenge themselves against other power conferences. Towson and Elon have been doing the same. It's good to see. :clap:
Meh, I'd rather lose to NDSU in the playoffs than the regular season. Keep bringing me Patriot patsies to play at home. 8-)
I hate you. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I'm actually proud of Delaware for stepping out of their footprint and away from West Chester and DSU to challenge themselves against other power conferences. Towson and Elon have been doing the same. It's good to see. :clap:
Delaware has done that frequently - YSU, GSU, SDSU, Furman, The Citadel (when they were good). And we were told we had to play DSU or we were racist. Apparently weak schedulers if we do, or racists if we don't. So when is EWU going to man up and play an FCS team from the other side of the Mississippi in the regular season?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Delaware has done that frequently - YSU, GSU, SDSU, Furman, The Citadel (when they were good). And we were told we had to play DSU or we were racist. Apparently weak schedulers if we do, or racists if we don't. So when is EWU going to man up and play an FCS team from the other side of the Mississippi in the regular season?
Yep. Kalm apparently didn't realize that FCS football existed before 2010 and that Delaware has always set up series against traditional powers from around the country.

New kids are so cute.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
The SDSU game was home and home. Played at Delaware, then the hens backed out and didn't go to SDSU, instead lost to Navy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yep. Kalm apparently didn't realize that FCS football existed before 2010 and that Delaware has always set up series against traditional powers from around the country.

New kids are so cute.
Yeah but what have you done lately for me, sweetheart? I gave UD props for playing the Bizon, how far back did you have to go to come up with the rest?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:

New kids are so cute.
Yeah but what have you done lately for me, sweetheart? I gave UD props for playing the Bizon, how far back did you have to go to come up with the rest?
Well, I watched them host SDSU this decade as a season ticket holder. Anything else you'd like me to explain? Perhaps the games against Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Pitt, and Navy (twice) this decade? Delaware has never shied away from scheduling interesting OOC matchups and playing up. They've sort of been on an ACC kick lately; you know, the conference Clemson is in? Pitt again this year, NC State next year. Then a switch to B1G with Rutgers in 2021, then our first two visits to Happy Valley and the Penn State Nittany Lions (2023 and 2027). :clap: Can't wait for those trips to see my favorite FBS and FCS teams face off.

Speaking of SDSU, did you see that Goeddert kid score for the real Eagles on Sunday?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
The SDSU game was home and home. Played at Delaware, then the hens backed out and didn't go to SDSU, instead lost to Navy.
Yup, we "Furmaned" them!!!! :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:

New kids are so cute.

Well, as far back as I went I still couldn't find a time when EWU played an FCS team on the east side of the Mississippi. Do you guys have some fear of crossing moving water or something? :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:

Well, as far back as I went I still couldn't find a time when EWU played an FCS team on the east side of the Mississippi. Do you guys have some fear of crossing moving water or something? :rofl:
Yeah...I can't either....wait.........

Are these guys east of the Mississippi?

(Man and you must have went way back! :rofl: )

:dunce:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yeah...I can't either....wait.........

Are these guys east of the Mississippi?

(Man and you must have went way back! :rofl: )

:dunce:
Bama or Fordham? ;)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Well, I watched them host SDSU this decade as a season ticket holder. Anything else you'd like me to explain? Perhaps the games against Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Pitt, and Navy (twice) this decade? Delaware has never shied away from scheduling interesting OOC matchups and playing up. They've sort of been on an ACC kick lately; you know, the conference Clemson is in? Pitt again this year, NC State next year. Then a switch to B1G with Rutgers in 2021, then our first two visits to Happy Valley and the Penn State Nittany Lions (2023 and 2027). :clap: Can't wait for those trips to see my favorite FBS and FCS teams face off.

Speaking of SDSU, did you see that Goeddert kid score for the real Eagles on Sunday?
Yes, if it wasn't for Ertz, he'd already be starting. I like the Eagles.

One annual FCS doesn't count :roll: as we do the same (UO, UW, WSU, WVU, Cal, TTU, BYU, Akron, OSU, Nevada, UF next year...). And we have to do it twice in the same season sometimes which will more than likely happen this year as we still have 3 open dates.

Don't get me wrong. If I was Delaware, Montana, JMU, or NDSU I'd dip into weaker conferences too. Six home games would be rad. And there are many years where, thanks to proximity, CAA teams can get two weaker conference foes to go along with the money game (see JMU this year). There are some years where Montana does it too simply because they can afford to. Again, that's not bad, but it's also the reason why CAA SoS's often lag behind Big Sky SoS's.

While UD may schedule the occasional home and home with the likes of SDSU and YSU, for us, if you want to avoid playing two FBS and/or a DII every year, that ideally means two elite and/or ranked FCS plus an FBS every year. EG: 2016 we played ranked NDSU, UNI, and Wazzu. In 2021 we play WIU, JSU, and will pick up an FBS.

Here's an article from last year highlighting Eastern's challenges.
For a financially challenged school such as Eastern, the formula is pretty much the same for an 11-game schedule: one big payday (Texas Tech compensated the Eagles $475,000 to come to Lubbock), a home game against an FCS team (that was North Dakota State this year) and another FCS road game (Fordham).

That means a steady diet of six games on the road and five at home. Flipping the script is problematic.

“There’s a couple of ways these things (home-and-home series) occur,” Eastern athletic director Bill Chaves said. “You find someone who wants to play home and home or you pay for someone to come in.

“The latter is relative to what your financial situation is and the size of your stadium. We’ve gone with the latter.”

The Eagles have three things going against them when chasing home-and-home series against other FCS teams: money, geography and the Eagles’ success on the field.

Top-tier FCS programs such as NDSU, Northern Iowa (which played EWU in 2015-16) and Sam Houston State (2013-14) don’t flinch at the challenge.

Not so for the lesser lights. For example, Southland Conference minnow Incarnate Word played last weekend at Sacramento State but wouldn’t be persuaded to play at Roos Field.

“Given the success we’ve had, there’s probably only a dozen schools in FCS that will consider a home and home with us,” said Chaves, who added that over the last few years “there’s not a school in the Central, Mountain or Pacific time zones that I have not spoken to.”

Meanwhile, as EWU was being pummeled by the Bison, Fordham played lowly Central Connecticut.

And while the Eagles are three time zones away, their next opponent, Montana, is home against another FCS bottom-feeder, Savannah State.

That’s money talking. Thanks to the gate receipts at 26,000-seat Washington-Grizzly Stadium, the Griz are in position to regularly play six games at home and get their pick of the opposition.

They also need fewer money games to balance the budget. The Griz were at Washington last week, but that’s only their second Power-5 opponent in the last decade (EWU has played nine in the same period).
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/s ... -washingt/
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yeah, we're just cruising by with NDSU and Pitt on the schedule this coming season. :lol:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:Yeah, we're just cruising by with NDSU and Pitt on the schedule this coming season. :lol:

Give it up, hen. He's on a crusade. :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:Yeah, we're just cruising by with NDSU and Pitt on the schedule this coming season. :lol:

That’s why I applauded the NDSU series and gave props to Elon and Towson. Try and keep up.

The other thing you have going is schollie increases for the PL (which at some point will pay dividends), and an improved Ivy and perhaps
NEC. That should strengthen the OOC schedules of the CAA. :thumb: