Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Political and Societal Coarseness

Post by GannonFan »

Didn't see a good enough thread to put this in so I thought I'd drop it here. Thought it was a pretty good quick read on how both sides of the aisle apparently just don't get it and are determined to be right (or be declared right) no matter how far they need to sink to do it.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-shameless- ... 33959.html

The thing that struck me about this story, though, was the reaction from Matt Osborne, a consultant who helped devise the scheme. Outed by Times reporters Scott Shane and Alan Blinder for peddling outright lies, and facing a possible federal investigation, Osborne didn’t even fake regret.

“If you don’t do it, you’re fighting with one hand tied behind your back,” he said. “You have a moral imperative to do this — to do whatever it takes.”

Which seems to me a pretty good distillation of what we’re seeing everywhere lately, in Washington and on social media and even in our daily interactions. In Trump’s America, taking personal responsibility for anything you say or do is suddenly out of vogue, no matter which side you’re on or how petty the issue.

We’re living now in the shameless society, where accountability and apology are just white flags for the weak.
Last edited by GannonFan on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Political and Societal Corseness

Post by AZGrizFan »

Obama spent 8 years blaming others for his failings and suddenly this is an issue in "Trump's America"?

This dude has an obvious agenda and this article is no better than the other shit I line the cat box with.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

AZGrizFan wrote:Obama spent 8 years blaming others for his failings and suddenly this is an issue in "Trump's America"?

This dude has an obvious agenda and this article is no better than the other shit I line the cat box with.
If you remove the name Trump from the article, what do you disagree with? To me it sums up nicely the shit show we have on both sides of the aisle.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Obama spent 8 years blaming others for his failings and suddenly this is an issue in "Trump's America"?

If you remove the name Trump from the article, what do you disagree with? To me it sums up nicely the shit show we have on both sides of the aisle.
He's programmed to mention Obama, don't bother.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:

Yes, a shit show he blames squarely on Trump. People simply don't want to admit that it started waaaaay before Trump. "Trump's America" is merely a continuation of "Obama's America"...
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
He's programmed to mention Obama, don't bother.
No, but I am programmed to call out bullshit when I see it. :nod: :nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
If you remove the name Trump from the article, what do you disagree with? To me it sums up nicely the **** show we have on both sides of the aisle.
Yes, a **** show he blames squarely on Trump. People simply don't want to admit that it started waaaaay before Trump. "Trump's America" is merely a continuation of "Obama's America"...
I don't see that at all, he seems to be blaming society as a whole - heck, he even goes as far back as the 2008 economic collapse as a possible start of the bitterness (and that is even pre-Obama). He calls out Trump for what Trump is, which I don't see how that's an issue, but he clearly seems to be drawing a much wider net than Trump.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Yes, a **** show he blames squarely on Trump. People simply don't want to admit that it started waaaaay before Trump. "Trump's America" is merely a continuation of "Obama's America"...
I don't see that at all, he seems to be blaming society as a whole - heck, he even goes as far back as the 2008 economic collapse as a possible start of the bitterness (and that is even pre-Obama). He calls out Trump for what Trump is, which I don't see how that's an issue, but he clearly seems to be drawing a much wider net than Trump.
You can't explain the Mona Lisa to a blind man...
AZ is blind as a bat
Lovable / Snuggles / down right hug worthy but blind

Also, because : Obama
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Is there a more abused word in the English language than "moral"?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Silenoz wrote:Is there a more abused word in the English language than "moral"?
Well, at least in the past few weeks or months, you might have a point. Apparently if you can frame something, anything, as a moral choice, then it's bulletproof versus any examination or discussion. And the bonus is anyone who is on the other side is automatically pegged as evil. Fits in nicely with this article and the idea of it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
You don't see it? He directly calls it "Trump's America". Doesn't get much plainer than that.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
AZ is blind as a bat

You are the blind one, my friend.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
You don't see it? He directly calls it "Trump's America". Doesn't get much plainer than that.
Well, there was more to the article - did you stop reading after that single clause? How about this part of the article...
As a politician friend of mine (yes, I have a few) reminded me this week, Trump couldn’t have created this ethos all by himself. We created the moment, and he merely filled the void.

Maybe it’s our own growing coarseness and limitless self-regard — our propensity to shield every worldview in its own like-minded cocoon, whether it’s based in truth or outright lie — that the president so deftly channels, and not the other way around.
Seems like he's saying things got bad because of us (society) and Trump is just the beneficiary.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
AZ is blind as a bat

Oh I see the light now

Obama ruined my life...
Worst president in the history of time

:mrgreen:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Oh I see the light now

Obama ruined my life...

Good Christ you’re horrible at reading comprehension. That is neither remotely what I said nor my point of what the author said. Try again.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I think the bigger question is who knew that yahoo still existed? :shock:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Matt Bai is generally progressive but evenhanded. One of the few liberals that I’ll read through to the end of an article. The whole point of this one is that the trend has been going on for quite some time. No real prescriptions on how to stop it, but personal responsibility and sense of shame go hand in hand and start from within. And good parenting.

*coarseness 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:Matt Bai is generally progressive but evenhanded. One of the few liberals that I’ll read through to the end of an article. The whole point of this one is that the trend has been going on for quite some time. No real prescriptions on how to stop it, but personal responsibility and sense of shame go hand in hand and start from within. And good parenting.

*coarseness 8-)
Son of a popsicle, my bad. And I did get an eerie feeling that I had spelled something wrong before hitting enter! :rofl:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Matt Bai is generally progressive but evenhanded. One of the few liberals that I’ll read through to the end of an article. The whole point of this one is that the trend has been going on for quite some time. No real prescriptions on how to stop it, but personal responsibility and sense of shame go hand in hand and start from within. And good parenting.

*coarseness 8-)
Son of a popsicle, my bad. And I did get an eerie feeling that I had spelled something wrong before hitting enter! :rofl:
Whoa! Language, please!
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Oh I see the light now

Obama ruined my life...

Good Christ you’re horrible at reading comprehension. That is neither remotely what I said nor my point of what the author said. Try again.
:rofl:

I just want to know who's America it is..?
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
Yes, a shit show he blames squarely on Trump. People simply don't want to admit that it started waaaaay before Trump. "Trump's America" is merely a continuation of "Obama's America"...
If only that were the case....... :ohno:
Go Black Bears!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

It's an LLP consisting of JP Morgan, Walmart and Amazon.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Chizzang wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
AZ is blind as a bat

We all love him but he never got over that tan suit scandal
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

It's an LLP consisting of JP Morgan, Walmart, Amazon, and Mrs. Bezos.
FIFY
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Its his America from the day he took office until the day he leaves office. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky