How Long Will The Shutdown Last? (Dec 2018)

Political discussions

How long will the shutdown last?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Less than a week (open by Dec 28)
10%
1 to <2 weeks (open by Jan 4)
7%
2 to <3 weeks (open by Jan 11)
17%
3 to <4 weeks (open by Jan 18)
7%
4 to <5 weeks (open by Jan 25)
No votes
5 to <6 weeks (open by Feb 2)
10%
6 or more weeks
48%

Total votes: 29

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: How Long Will The Shutdown Last? (Dec 2018)

Post by 93henfan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Do your own research, Weetag™!
The answer is no, so your question is irrelevant, Billy.
Water may be a concern, Weetag™!

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

mainejeff wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Bump!
This is really the conversation for the day regarding The Wall

:nod:
They're all going home for the weekend to watch AOC dancing videos and whack off.

:coffee:
Link(s)?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Grizalltheway wrote:Also I want a cut of whatever you make using the WeeTag brand. :tothehand:
No. I need the money during this crippling shutdown.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote: They funded border security. That funding is working. All stats show that it is working. Trump is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist to the degree it does. He is wasting money on a solution that will be ineffective and environmentally destructive.

Democrats want border security. They have voted for border security. But not for a quarter mile clearing of US land through sensitive areas.

But that is not black and white, it requires thinking and understanding, which the right can't do.
Who cares about 1/4 mile of clearing. There's wide swaths of the border up to EIGHTY FUCKING MILES into America that we can not go into because of activity of illegals and drug runners. Sacrificing 1/4 mile to get back that 80 mile stretch is well worth it.
I care. Many care. It clears and destroys some of the best habitat in South Texas, and creates a wildlife/migrational barrier. Wildlife viewing contributes billions of dollars to South Texas and southern Arizona yearly. Trump's folly will harm that.

And your wide swathes of the border that Americans can't go? BULLFUCKING SHIT. I have many friends that bird the border areas constantly. Never afraid to go down there. You are falling for more of Trump's and whatever extremist rightwing sites you frequent's lies.
:thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:Sounds like every other government **** in history. Costs 4-5x as much as anticipated and takes 5 times as long. So, nothing new there...

A few questions:
1) How does he know the contractors don't employ architects? I've never know a contractor who doesn't employ (or at least subcontract out) the design of projects to architects.
2) He admits the wall hasn't been designed, but then goes on to blast the design? How does he know it will impede the flow of water when it hasn't been designed (by his own admission)?
3) Does he REALLY think we're stupid enough to believe that this is the last $5B that's going to be needed?
4) I'll be honest and admit I didn't click on the 2nd link, but that first link is a great article. :nod: :nod:
What they need is Civil Engineering expertise, not architects. And they won't like what they hear, but they already have the phony invoices printed, the substandard product ordered, and all the shoddy workmanship available that they could possibly want.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Fencing/border barriers have already caused flooding in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. There are many washes, creeks, and rivers that cross the border. Those all flood. All get clogged with debris.
:thumb:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:Sounds like every other government clusterfuck in history. Costs 4-5x as much as anticipated and takes 5 times as long. So, nothing new there...

A few questions:
1) How does he know the contractors don't employ architects? I've never know a contractor who doesn't employ (or at least subcontract out) the design of projects to architects.
2) He admits the wall hasn't been designed, but then goes on to blast the design? How does he know it will impede the flow of water when it hasn't been designed (by his own admission)?
3) Does he REALLY think we're stupid enough to believe that this is the last $5B that's going to be needed?
4) I'll be honest and admit I didn't click on the 2nd link, but that first link is a great article. :nod: :nod:
She, actually. Saw it on FB.

And yes, there is probably a significant portion of Trump supporters who think this will be a quick and cost effective project. That's how he's been selling it the whole time.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :shock: :rofl:

Good grief, Jon.
I do hope that if they catch the scum that is cutting down Joshua trees that they go the extra mile to make their lives hard.
It's probably that family that saved so hard to get there

now they're just trying to stay warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Honest question, MJ: Doesn't the donks' about face on immigration and need for a wall give you ANY concern?
No; I like that they've shifted their position instead of digging in.

Plus there's a bunch of new faces in the Democratic party; 2019 House isn't the same as 2013 House.

Values change...that's the point.
You are absolutely right about that

Just ten years ago, the Democratic Party wasn't for open borders at all

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

No wall isn't an open border.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Grizalltheway wrote:Alright chumps, sit still for a minute and read this
Howdy.

To recap: I’m a licensed structural and civil engineer with a MS in structural engineering from the top program in the nation and over a decade of experience on high-performance projects, and particularly of cleaning up design disasters where the factors weren’t properly accounted for, and I’m an adjunct professor of structural analysis and design at UH-Downtown. I have previously been deposed as an expert witness in matters regarding proper construction of walls and the various factors associated therein, and my testimony has passed Daubert.

Am I a wall expert? I am. I am literally a court-accepted expert on walls.

Structurally and civil engineering-wise, the border wall is not a feasible project. Trump did not hire engineers to design the thing. He solicited bids from contractors, not engineers. This means it’s not been designed by professionals. It’s a disaster of numerous types waiting to happen.

What disasters?

Off the top of my head...
1) It will mess with our ability to drain land in flash flooding. Anything impeding the ability of water to get where it needs to go (doesn’t matter if there are holes in the wall or whatever) is going to dramatically increase the risk of flooding.
2) Messes with all kind of stuff ecologically. For all other projects, we have to do an Environmental Site Assessment, which is arduous. They’re either planning to circumvent all this, or they haven’t accounted for it yet, because that’s part of the design process, and this thing hasn’t been designed.
3) The prototypes they came up with are nearly impossible to build or don’t actually do the job. This article explains more:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.eng ... 17599.html

And so on.

The estimates provided for the cost are arrived at unreasonably. You can look for yourself at the two-year-old estimate that you see everyone citing.

http://fronterasdesk.org/sites/default/ ... 20Wall.pdf

It does not account for rework, complexities beyond the prototype design, factors to prevent flood and environmental hazard creation, engineering redesign... It’s going to be higher than $50bn. The contractors will hit the government with near CONSTANT change orders. “Cost overrun” will be the name of the game. It will not be completed in Trump’s lifetime.

I’m a structural forensicist, which means I’m called in when things go wrong. This is a project that WILL go wrong. When projects go wrong, the original estimates are just *obliterated*. And when that happens, good luck getting it fixed, because there aren’t that many forensicists out there to right the ship, particularly not that are willing to work on a border wall project— a large quotient of us are immigrants, and besides, we can’t afford to bid on jobs that are this political. We’re small firms, and we’re already busy, and we don’t gamble our reputations on political footballs. So you’d end up with a revolving door of contractors making a giant, uncoordinated muddle of things, and it’d generally be a mess. Good money after bad. The GAO agrees with me.

And it won’t be effective. I could, right now, purchase a 32 foot extension ladder and weld a cheap custom saddle for the top of the proposed wall so that I can get over it. I don’t know who they talked to about the wall design and its efficacy, but it sure as heck wasn’t anybody with any engineering imagination.

Another thing: we are not far from the day where inexpensive drones will be able to pick up and carry someone. This will happen in the next ten years, and it’s folly to think that the coyotes who ferry people over the border won’t purchase or create them. They’re low enough, quiet enough, and small enough to quickly zip people over any wall we could build undetected with our current monitoring setup.

Let’s have border security, by all means, but let’s be smart about it. This is not smart. It’s not effective. It’s NOT cheap. The returns will be diminishing as technology advances, too. This is a ridiculous idea that will never be successfully executed and, as such, would be a monumental waste of money.
He's right on many points

(it doesnt take an engineer to know it though)

Instead of a wall (since those are immoral) we could have a fence, patrolled by a CBP which is 20 times bigger

all we just have to do is create a hundred thousand new Federal workers! Democrat LOVE them some Federal workers

Done

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

An article about how the Congress people representing every one of the Congressional Districts along the US/Mexico border oppose funding a border wall:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-bor ... -2019-1-8/

I think it's pretty safe to say that if you were to poll the people in all of the Congressional districts adjacent to the Mexican border the overwhelming majority of the people in them would say they don't want Trump's border wall or barrier or whatever. I'd like to see someone do that poll though. I don't know if anyone has thought to do that yet but if not somebody should.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I failed. I picked done by the 4th.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

93henfan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:Also I want a cut of whatever you make using the WeeTag brand. :tothehand:
No. I need the money during this crippling shutdown.
I'm sorry if you have answered this before, but will you get paid not working? Why?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:No wall isn't an open border.
Mm hmm

"no wall, no discussion"

"wall is an immorality"

"defund ICE"

no cooperation with ICE detainers by municipalities

Those sure do sound like if they arent for open borders, they're certainly open borders curious

Hell there's less evidence Trump's a racist

Remember how "we can't pay for it"... "it wont work".... "its just a strategy to get to single payer"... I'm trying to remember what was inferred about Republicans over that?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Trump full of shit again. Saying that wheels were invented before walls:

phpBB [video]

Of course it's not true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8bwpkpcNs
Jericho's settlement is traced back to about 9000 B.C., according to Britannica. Around the same time, walls have been traced as being used in a temple in Urfa, located in southeast Turkey.

The first wheel, however, is traced back to about 3500 B.C., thousands of years after walls, meaning the president was incorrect in his statements.
Yes I know whether walls or wheels were invented first doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. But it's just another example of how Trump will just make stuff up. You really can NOT believe anything he says.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Yes I know whether walls or wheels were invented first doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. But it's just another example of how Trump will just make stuff up. You really can NOT believe anything he says.
Truth, even if you are the most repetitive MF'er in history. :lol:

I saw this interview tonight on CNN. It's longish, at 9 minutes, but a great watch. If you're crunched for time, start at 4:30. That's when Friedman really gets going on Trump's lies. :notworthy:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by 93henfan on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Trump full of **** again. Saying that wheels were invented before walls:

phpBB [video]

Of course it's not true:

Jericho's settlement is traced back to about 9000 B.C., according to Britannica. Around the same time, walls have been traced as being used in a temple in Urfa, located in southeast Turkey.

The first wheel, however, is traced back to about 3500 B.C., thousands of years after walls, meaning the president was incorrect in his statements.
Yes I know whether walls or wheels were invented first doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. But it's just another example of how Trump will just make stuff up. You really can NOT believe anything he says.
Everybody knows that Scots invented the modern world

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote:Trump full of shit again. Saying that wheels were invented before walls:

phpBB [video]

Of course it's not true:

I'm going to call BS on that 3500 number. They could easily go back to the stone age, but there'd be no trace of the wheels left.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote: Yes I know whether walls or wheels were invented first doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. But it's just another example of how Trump will just make stuff up. You really can NOT believe anything he says.

I saw this interview tonight on CNN. It's longish, at 9 minutes, but a great watch. If you're crunched for time, start at 4:30. That's when Friedman really gets going on Trump's lies. :notworthy:

phpBB [video]
He referred to Trump as "demented." I haven't used that term. However, as you know, I've said for some time that I think he is mentally ill. I think he has serious emotional maturity and stability issues. I also think that we are seeing that manifested in this situation. I think he took a foolish position after being immature enough to respond to what people like Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter had to say. And now he's a child who doesn't want to be embarrassed by having to back off.

It was really, really stupid for him to do something like this right after the Democrats just won big in the mid terms in the context of a situation in which he made fear mongering about illegal immigration a big deal during the campaign leading up to the elections. The issue was "litigated" in the mid terms and he lost. I also have to believe that the people around him had to know that public opinion looked to be on the Democrats' side. But now it doesn't matter. All his childish mind is concerned about is not losing face.
Could I ever be a star?

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:

phpBB [video]
He referred to Trump as "demented." I haven't used that term. However, as you know, I've said for some time that I think he is mentally ill. I think he has serious emotional maturity and stability issues. I also think that we are seeing that manifested in this situation. I think he took a foolish position after being immature enough to respond to what people like Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter had to say. And now he's a child who doesn't want to be embarrassed by having to back off.

It was really, really stupid for him to do something like this right after the Democrats just won big in the mid terms in the context of a situation in which he made fear mongering about illegal immigration a big deal during the campaign leading up to the elections. The issue was "litigated" in the mid terms and he lost. I also have to believe that the people around him had to know that public opinion looked to be on the Democrats' side. But now it doesn't matter. All his childish mind is concerned about is not losing face.

John,
Half the Republicans right here on this forum are defending Trump on the Wall thing...
And this is a forum where half the arguments are Democrat and half are Republican

Out in the world - the core of each constituency - only listen to their own talk boxes
So if you can't get traction in here on an argument...
you really aren't going to get any out there

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Chizzang wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
John,
Half the Republicans right here on this forum are defending Trump on the Wall thing...
And this is a forum where half the arguments are Democrat and half are Republican

Out in the world - the core of each constituency - only listen to their own talk boxes

Arguing that a wall is necessary is different than being in denial about where public opinion is at a particular time. It was pretty obvious when this started that public opinion was on the Democrats' side on this issue. They just won the mid terms big even though Trump and the Republicans made a big deal about caravans invading the United States and such. Any honest assessment of polling on the issue indicated that more Americans in general and voters in particular oppose building a wall on the border than support it. And it was somewhere around a 10 percentage point margin. And the one poll that directly asked whether or not Democrats should fund the wall had 55% saying "no" vs. 45% saying "yes." That was a Harvard/Harris poll conducted December 24-25 just after the shutdown started. AND we went into this about a week after the President pulled a stunt on national television saying HE would take responsibility for a shutdown.

I like to think that I don't kid myself about public opinion. Like I think Roe vs. Wade was a horrific decision and don't think there's any right to abortion in the Constitution. And I'll make arguments about that. But I don't kid myself about public opinion. I know an overwhelming majority of people in the US do not want Roe vs. Wade overturned at this time and I'm not going to try to find ways to believe that isn't true.

Now, public opinion on the shutdown and the wall could change. That happens. But I just don't know about Trump and the Republicans starting a fight like that when public opinion was clearly on the Democrats' side and Trump just finished saying he would take responsibility for a shutdown.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Check this out:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... ayer-money
Border Patrol Union Just Deleted a Webpage Saying a Wall Would Be 'Wasting Taxpayer Money'
I never heard of motherboard but that story can be found at a number of sources. It's true. I just picked that one because I like the way the headline is written.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

John,

My main issue over the wall is that it is trivial

Im aware of the Fed procurement process, the eminent domain issues, and all the other roadblocks and pitfalls

But,

1) given the absolute farce that is Federal spending and the ridiculous things we already set money on fire for in each and every budget

and 2) the relatively low number being asked for in the grand scheme of things

it just seems like a softball to me to not only fund the wall, but get something in return for it .... regardless of its effectiveness. The time just seems right to me for Pelosi to ask Trump what he would give for the wall- she might get more than just DACA

I think both sides are being completely petty... maybe Im a bit biased because I think the dreamers ultimately need an amnesty (we arent going to deport them) but this whole thing is a result of complete inflexibility on both sides when there is an answer right in front of them all

css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
John,

My main issue over the wall is that it is trivial

Im aware of the Fed procurement process, the eminent domain issues, and all the other roadblocks and pitfalls

But,

1) given the absolute farce that is Federal spending and the ridiculous things we already set money on fire for in each and every budget

and 2) the relatively low number being asked for in the grand scheme of things

it just seems like a softball to me to not only fund the wall, but get something in return for it .... regardless of its effectiveness. The time just seems right to me for Pelosi to ask Trump what he would give for the wall- she might get more than just DACA

I think both sides are being completely petty... maybe Im a bit biased because I think the dreamers ultimately need an amnesty (we arent going to deport them) but this whole thing is a result of complete inflexibility on both sides when there is an answer right in front of them all

She would refuse even that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk