UCONN Considering move to FCS?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

UCONN Considering move to FCS?

Post by BlackFalkin »

UConn was bad at football in 2018. The Huskies had one of the worst defenses in major college football history and finished 130th out of 130 FBS teams in S&P+. But a new report paints an even grimmer picture about the broader athletic department.

The university’s 2018 report to the NCAA on its financial situation is full of bad news. The athletic department brought in $40.4 million in revenue, but incurred a whopping $80.9 million in expenses. It needed more than $30 million in “additional institutional support” and more than $8.5 million in student fees. That’s all per the Hartford Courant.
http://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/co ... ll-aac-fcs
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: UCONN Considering move to FCS?

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't think it'll happen but it really is a shame that a stigma to being I-AA and now FCS developed. Very few of the schools that have moved from I-AA/FCS to I-A/FBS really belong there. I guess Boise State. UCF has had some good years but we'll see if they can sustain it. Also even with the on the field success Boise State's athletic program was a net $9.4 million cost to the school and UCF's was a net $5 million cost. And that's with the students at Boise State having to pay $3.2 million in student fees and UCF students being raped to the tune of $22.6 million. That's all from 2017.

Seriously, UCF's athletic expenditures for 2017 were $56.3 million and they only garnered $4.5 million in ticket sales. That's ridiculous. What that's telling you is that they don't really have the interest level needed to justify what they're spending on athletics.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I'm sure there are plenty of other G5 programs in the same boat as UMASS. The G5 financial model is full of fail.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:I don't think it'll happen but it really is a shame that a stigma to being I-AA and now FCS developed. Very few of the schools that have moved from I-AA/FCS to I-A/FBS really belong there. I guess Boise State. UCF has had some good years but we'll see if they can sustain it. Also even with the on the field success Boise State's athletic program was a net $9.4 million cost to the school and UCF's was a net $5 million cost. And that's with the students at Boise State having to pay $3.2 million in student fees and UCF students being raped to the tune of $22.6 million. That's all from 2017.

Seriously, UCF's athletic expenditures for 2017 were $56.3 million and they only garnered $4.5 million in ticket sales. That's ridiculous. What that's telling you is that they don't really have the interest level needed to justify what they're spending on athletics.
Move up to FBS, they said. Your budget will increase they said. :lol:

JSO, do you have a link to those numbers or did you just google it?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

UConn is pretty big school, so the fact they were ever FCS in the first place is the bigger surprise in retrospect. There are a lot of FBSINO schools that should probably drop down, but I don't really consider UConn to be one of them.

UConn has two of the most successful basketball programs in the country, and yet their athletic dept. is losing that much money? And, according to the article, those basketball programs are losing money too. How is that even possible? Is Wayne Hogan running things over there? :?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:UConn is pretty big school, so the fact they were ever FCS in the first place is the bigger surprise in retrospect. There are a lot of FBSINO schools that should probably drop down, but I don't really consider UConn to be one of them.

UConn has two of the most successful basketball programs in the country, and yet their athletic dept. is losing that much money? And, according to the article, those basketball programs are losing money too. How is that even possible? Is Wayne Hogan running things over there? :?
They have clearly failed to adjust their spending after being booted out of a Power 6 conference.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I don't think it'll happen but it really is a shame that a stigma to being I-AA and now FCS developed. Very few of the schools that have moved from I-AA/FCS to I-A/FBS really belong there. I guess Boise State. UCF has had some good years but we'll see if they can sustain it. Also even with the on the field success Boise State's athletic program was a net $9.4 million cost to the school and UCF's was a net $5 million cost. And that's with the students at Boise State having to pay $3.2 million in student fees and UCF students being raped to the tune of $22.6 million. That's all from 2017.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

I think JSO had a typo. According to this, UCF student fee contribution was $27.6 million.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

UConn and ODU back in the CAA (football) would be fun! :D
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:

I think JSO had a typo. According to this, UCF student fee contribution was $27.6 million.
That's odd. I just used the link you provided...which did take me to what I looked at...and I'm still seeing the UCF Student fees during 2017 being $22.6 million.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:
It's the http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances link flag provided. Note that when I look at how much it costs the school I deduct the "School Funds" total from the "Total Revenues." I think it's correct to say that "School Funds" is revenue to the athletic program but it's not revenue to the school. It's a cost to the school. It's money the school is having to kick in to balance the books or at least get close to that.

So like in 2017 Boise State reported $45,486,486 in total athletic department revenues. But $9,442,051 of that total is accounted for by "School Funds." Money the school has to kick in. So revenues other than those the school has to kick in to subsidize are $45,486,486 - $9,442,051 = $36,044,435. Total expenses are $45,456,789. So the financial impact of the athletic programs on the school is $36,044,435 - $45,456,789 = $-9,412,354. The school is lost more than $9 million on its athletic programs.
Could I ever be a star?

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SDHornet wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of other G5 programs in the same boat as UMASS. The G5 financial model is full of fail.
Amen, Brother!

Why accept a "promotion" in which you're defined out of the championship picture "just because?" It's stupid....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Several posts in and Im still waiting for our resident ASU and Ga Southern fans to pounce on JSO’s first post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

I think it’s fair to say teams like App St, Ga So, Tex St, Nevada, WKU, ODU, etc moving to FBS makes people think less of FCS football.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BlackFalkin wrote:I think it’s fair to say teams like App St, Ga So, Tex St, Nevada, WKU, ODU, etc moving to FBS makes people think less of FCS football.
blatant troll

for tips, see: JSO’s first post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:UConn is pretty big school, so the fact they were ever FCS in the first place is the bigger surprise in retrospect. There are a lot of FBSINO schools that should probably drop down, but I don't really consider UConn to be one of them.

The former HC Kevin Ollie was responsible for them being on suspension from the NCAA.I think it had to do with money or illegally recruiting athletes????
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

dal4018 wrote:

The former HC Kevin Ollie was responsible for them being on suspension from the NCAA.I think it had to do with money or illegally recruiting athletes????
That still doesn't explain why the WBB team is losing money. I mean, they average 8000+ fans per home game every year.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

So an athletics fee that 68,000+ students agree to pay and can easily be avoided by transferring to a P5, FCS, DII, or DIII school is characterized as "rape" by a hardcore libertarian? :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I didn't read the article (or many of the posts) but didn't UConn get absolutely fucked when they moved up? I'm pretty sure the timing was they moved up right before Miami and VT left for the ACC and the Big East started to implode. Had they known that was going to happen, I can't imagine they would have moved up.

And FWIW, I'm pretty sure UConn is about the size of Delaware.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

So UConn CAAn't make it in FBS, wonder which conference they will join?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

89Hen wrote:

I didn't read the article (or many of the posts) but didn't UConn get absolutely fucked when they moved up? I'm pretty sure the timing was they moved up right before Miami and VT left for the ACC and the Big East started to implode. Had they known that was going to happen, I can't imagine they would have moved up.
Maybe not, but that still doesn't really explain why their basketball programs are losing money.
And FWIW, I'm pretty sure UConn is about the size of Delaware.
It's slightly bigger, but UD's endowment is almost triple UConn's. UConn's endowment is almost triple Montana's, though.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
89Hen wrote: I didn't read the article (or many of the posts) but didn't UConn get absolutely fucked when they moved up? I'm pretty sure the timing was they moved up right before Miami and VT left for the ACC and the Big East started to implode. Had they known that was going to happen, I can't imagine they would have moved up.
Maybe not, but that still doesn't really explain why their basketball programs are losing money.
Hookers and Blow.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I-AA move ups and drive bys over the last 33 years.
(Seasons in I-AA)
1. Akron (80-86’)
2. La Tech (82’-88’)
3. Ark State (82’-91’)
4. Nevada (78’-91’)
5. La Monroe (82’-93’)
6. N Tex (82’-94’)
7. Boise St (78’-95’)
8. UCF (90-95’) (Only 6 seasons I-AA but started football in 1979).
9. Marshall (82’-96’)
10. Buffalo (93’-98’) (Only 6 seasons I-AA but started football 1937).
11. Mid Tenn St (78’-98’)
12. UConn (78’-99’)
13. Troy (93’-01’)
14. WKU (78’-08’)
15. Tx State (84'-11')
16. UMass (78'-11')
17. App State (82'-11')
18. GSU (82'-11')
19. CCU (03’-15’)
20. Liberty (89’-17’)

Drive bys: From 1st yr of football to I-A within 5 years:
21. UAB (93’-95’)
22. USF (97’-00’) 01’-03’ I-A independent. 03’-04’ Sun Belt, 05’ on Big East/AAC.
23. FAU (01’-05)
24. FIU (02’-05’)
25. USA (11')
26. UTSA (11-12')
27. ODU (09'-13')
28. GST (10'-12')
29. UNCC (13')

Of those 29 schools that have joined I-A over the last 33 years. # in P5 conferences: 0

Move downs:
Idaho (78’-95’, 18’- current)

Here's another interesting tidbit. Of those 29 move ups/drive bys, 25 are from red states. Only 4 from blue states: Nevada, Buffalo, UConn, UMass..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Schools that have dropped Div I football since the the dust settled after the 1978 I-A/I-AA split. 14 of the 17 schools blue state (9 in the northeast, 5 in CA).

I-A
Cal State Long Beach (1991)
Cal State Fullerton (1992)
U of the Pacific (1995)

I-AA
UT Arlington (1985)
Witchita St (1986)
Evansville U (1997)
Cal State Northridge (2001)
Canisius College (NY) (2002)
Fairfield U (CT) (2002)
St John's U (NY) (2002)
St Mary's College (CA) (2003)
Siena College (NY) (2003)
St Peter's U (NJ) (2006)
Lasalle (PA) (2007)
Iona (NY) (2008)
Hofstra (NY) (2009)
Northeastern (MA) (2009)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... ball_teams

The northeast and CA just don't support college football like the rest of the country...
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote: Move downs:
1. Boise St (78’-95’, 18’- current)
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Move downs:
1. Boise St (78’-95’, 18’- current)
Was copying and pasting from a 4 year old list. The 2 Idaho schools were right next to each other, both moved up in 1996, & for the move down I brain cramped and copied & pasted wrong Idaho school. Fixed it.