Post by ASUG8 »

I don't have either of our W2's yet. :ohno:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2018 TAXES

Post by Gil Dobie »

I am paying more sales tax, as sales were way up this year on my sports memorabilia.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I'm getting some money back..enough to pay off my tax bill from 2017.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Gil Dobie wrote:I am paying more sales tax, as sales were way up this year on my sports memorabilia.
Wanna buy my collection of sports cards and Kenner Starting Line-Up figures?
Go Black Bears!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

mainejeff wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:I am paying more sales tax, as sales were way up this year on my sports memorabilia.
Wanna buy my collection of sports cards and Kenner Starting Line-Up figures?
Depends on the era of the cards and the price, the Kenner statues are pretty soft right now, except for a few. PM me the details.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

I did mine over the weekend. Went from a refund last year between $250-300 to a $900 refund this year, which is around what I shoot for every year. I've never been one of those let's get a big refund kinda people - I like my $$ now versus later.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

bluehenbillk wrote:I did mine over the weekend. Went from a refund last year between $250-300 to a $900 refund this year, which is around what I shoot for every year. I've never been one of those let's get a big refund kinda people - I like my $$ now versus later.
Agreed on not getting a big refund.

How much are your withholdings down compared to last year? I'm getting a refund plus our withholdings are way down. I think a lot of people will miss that part this year.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

I just did a first pass in TaxAct and we're getting whacked badly :shock: I may end up getting H&R Block or someone to give it a second set of eyes.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

ASUG8 wrote:I just did a first pass in TaxAct and we're getting whacked badly :shock: I may end up getting H&R Block or someone to give it a second set of eyes.
The TurboTax UI has been easier to use. I used H&R Block last year but it's hasn't been too friendly with non-resident income (Work in NC but live in SC).
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bluehenbillk wrote:I did mine over the weekend. Went from a refund last year between $250-300 to a $900 refund this year, which is around what I shoot for every year. I've never been one of those let's get a big refund kinda people - I like my $$ now versus later.
Man, this is much more subdued than the post you made and deleted a few days ago where you said you owned tens of thousands. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

First pass through my taxes....

UP by about $23,000 over last year. $11,000 of that is mortgage interest that I can no longer deduct, $12,000 of that is the impact of property taxes being capped at $10,000.

Fuck Trump. This left-wing media lie that his tax plan was a gift to the 1%'ers is bullshit. Maybe to the .001%'ers, but not us damned middle-class 1%'ers....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I had mine done in TurboTax for over a week and just had to wait on the Passive Activity Loss Limitations (8582) form. Once that was released by IRS on Monday, I hit the e-file button on TT.

My federal return was "accepted" by IRS later the same day, and Delaware accepted my state return a day later. They say three weeks, but I'm willing to bet I get my returns in two or less.

The Trump cut lowered by effective rate 2.1% last year, so that was sweet. Delaware actually got worse.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

Ibanez wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:I just did a first pass in TaxAct and we're getting whacked badly :shock: I may end up getting H&R Block or someone to give it a second set of eyes.
The TurboTax UI has been easier to use. I used H&R Block last year but it's hasn't been too friendly with non-resident income (Work in NC but live in SC).
I ran my numbers through TurboTax yesterday for a sanity check and got basically the same answer as TaxAct:evil: . This tax reform hosed me - I didn't change my witholdings from last year and yet I'm paying the Feds double what I did last year. :ohno:
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

93henfan wrote:
Man, this is much more subdued than the post you made and deleted a few days ago where you said you owned tens of thousands. :lol:
oh yea, you saw that? I was in a complete state of panic for 20 minutes until I figured out an error I made....
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

HI54UNI wrote:
Agreed on not getting a big refund.

How much are your withholdings down compared to last year? I'm getting a refund plus our withholdings are way down. I think a lot of people will miss that part this year.
You're correct that withholdings are down. I think generally speaking if you didn't change anything year over year you saw about a 2% raise in your normal paycheck from less withholdings.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

ASUG8 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: The TurboTax UI has been easier to use. I used H&R Block last year but it's hasn't been too friendly with non-resident income (Work in NC but live in SC).
I ran my numbers through TurboTax yesterday for a sanity check and got basically the same answer as TaxAct:evil: . This tax reform hosed me - I didn't change my witholdings from last year and yet I'm paying the Feds double what I did last year. :ohno:
I'm getting enough back to pay what I still owe the Feds from 2017 and to pay off a small loan. I hve to change my withholdings this year, between a bonus and a raise i'm afraid it's going to cost me.

I'm looking forward to the $400 extra dollars a month
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Should be receiving the last of my documents today and then it will be off to the tax accountant.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
I'm getting enough back to pay what I still owe the Feds from 2017 and to pay off a small loan. I hve to change my withholdings this year, between a bonus and a raise i'm afraid it's going to cost me.

I have the absolute max withheld: zero or whatever the lowest possible exemptions are on the W4. Works well for me. I love getting $5k or $6k in a lump every winter.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I'm getting enough back to pay what I still owe the Feds from 2017 and to pay off a small loan. I hve to change my withholdings this year, between a bonus and a raise i'm afraid it's going to cost me.

I have the absolute max withheld: zero or whatever the lowest possible exemptions are on the W4. Works well for me. I love getting $5k or $6k in a lump every winter.
Just think how much longer you could have survived the shutdown if you had that extra $500/month stuffed into a savings account instead of letting your benevolent government hold it for you at 0% interest...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Just think how much longer you could have survived the shutdown if you had that extra $500/month stuffed into a savings account instead of letting your benevolent government hold it for you at 0% interest...
If you underwithhold, you get an IRS interest penalty. If you overwithhold, you get your money back sans interest.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
That extra $5 in interest would have been a lifesaver!
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

AZGrizFan wrote:First pass through my taxes....

UP by about $23,000 over last year. $11,000 of that is mortgage interest that I can no longer deduct, $12,000 of that is the impact of property taxes being capped at $10,000.

**** Trump. This left-wing media lie that his tax plan was a gift to the 1%'ers is bullshit. Maybe to the .001%'ers, but not us damned middle-class 1%'ers....
Some yeas ago, I pulled equity out of a second residence to perform improvements on the first residence. It worked, because I frequently engaged in short-term rentals of property no. 2, so the increased interest costs on the second mortgage caused the rental to operate at a loss. Therefore, I was able to use rental proceeds to pay a share of the rental property mortgages without incurring additional net income.

Then my HOA banned short-term rentals for the whole facility. Well, that sucked, but at least I still had the mortgage interest deduction. But wait, under the new tax law, because the home equity loan proceeds were not used to improve that premise, I can't write off that interest. If I had pulled the money out of my first residence, I would be able to still take the home equity loan interest as a write-off, since the money was used for improvements to that residence.

Wow. It seemed like a great idea back then.
The interest rate on that home equity loan is high, given current rates, so I guess it's time to just pay that loan off. It's doing nothing for me.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:First pass through my taxes....

Fuck Trump. This left-wing media lie that his tax plan was a gift to the 1%'ers is bullshit. Maybe to the .001%'ers, but not us damned middle-class 1%'ers....
Something doesn't seem right about that...is it the tax law that's screwing you or is a combination of the tax law, your income, etc...?

Is there a tax advantage to having your other homes in separate LLCs and figure out a way to always run a loss?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:I had mine done in TurboTax for over a week and just had to wait on the Passive Activity Loss Limitations (8582) form. Once that was released by IRS on Monday, I hit the e-file button on TT.

My federal return was "accepted" by IRS later the same day, and Delaware accepted my state return a day later. They say three weeks, but I'm willing to bet I get my returns in two or less.

The Trump cut lowered by effective rate 2.1% last year, so that was sweet. Delaware actually got worse.
Submitted mine yesterday and they were "accepted" by the Feds, North Carolina and South Carolina in an hour. They estimated a refund by Feb 22. We'll see.

Effective Tax Rate
2017- 14%
2018- 6.09%