2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by 93henfan »

TheDancinMonarch wrote:After watching the qualifying races it obvious NASCAR is all about the numbers.

500 miles.

200 laps.

40 cars.

1 single line of traffic.

Coma inducing.

Gotta find something else to do on Sundays!
Lighten up. At least you got to watch commercials 75% of the time instead of actual race coverage.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ferrari fastest on Day 1 of F1 winter practice, though Mercedes didn't go on the soft tires.

phpBB [video]

Overview of 2019 rules package, designed to minimize dirty air behind cars for closer following and more overtaking:

phpBB [video]

Just under four weeks until the season opening Australian GP. :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Mercedes is sandbagging as usual in practice:

phpBB [video]
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Pretty exciting race in Atlanta today.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:Pretty exciting race in Atlanta today.
The Penske team was cheating.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Pretty exciting race in Atlanta today.
The Penske team was cheating.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Looks like it'll be an exciting ending to Vegas.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Looks like it'll be an exciting ending to Vegas.
Kez almost got there, but the Champ punches his ticket to the Playoffs.

Penske Racing wins two of the first three races. No teething pains for Mustang.

phpBB [video]
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Looks like it'll be an exciting ending to Vegas.
Heck yeah.

Beside the end, too bad the rest of the race was a snore-fest. Everyone touted Vegas as the first where the new package is going to show its worth. If that was NASCAR's version of exciting, it's going to be a really boring season. Again.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Heck yeah.

Beside the end, too bad the rest of the race was a snore-fest. Everyone touted Vegas as the first where the new package is going to show its worth. If that was NASCAR's version of exciting, it's going to be a really boring season. Again.
F1 starts in two weeks. And Ferrari looks good in winter practice, so there could be a serious threat to Mercedes.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Heck yeah.

F1 starts in two weeks. And Ferrari looks good in winter practice, so there could be a serious threat to Mercedes.
Yeah I'm glad the "big 3" motor sports season is upon us. It's always nice to wake up Sunday morning and have a good breakfast while watching some F1. And it's only an hour long.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Yeah I'm glad the "big 3" motor sports season is upon us. It's always nice to wake up Sunday morning and have a good breakfast while watching some F1. And it's only an hour long.
I'd be done with motorsports if it weren't for F1. The rules are gimmick-free, the telecasts are commercial free, the qualifying is exciting, the races are only an hour and a half, the drivers are the best in the world, and every race is crucial to the championship. What's not to like? They even turn right 50% of the time.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Opening weekend for F1, finally. :clap:

2019 broadcast schedule: http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/26082 ... edule-2019

Looking forward to 1.5 hour commercial-free races, unlike the 1.5 hours of commercials you get with NASCAR.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This is not how to win fans and sponsors.
Boos send a message about the current state of NASCAR qualifying

...After all 12 drivers advancing to the third and final round of qualifying at Auto Club Speedway on Friday failed to post even a single qualifying lap, Scott Miller, NASCAR’s senior vice president of competition, suggested tweaks would have to be made...
https://racer.com/2019/03/15/boos-send- ... ualifying/
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

After an offseason of talk about how Ferrari was the best in testing, they get walked in the season opening Australian GP by Mercedes. Give the Germans time to pull out their slide rulers, and they get better.

Bottas wholeshots polesitter Hamilton on the start and Hamilton gets called in for the early pit to mark Vettel, leaving Bottas to coast home to a comfortable victory. Bottas also gets the extra point for fastest lap, a new rule for 2019.

I'm thinking this year's drama will be more within the Mercedes team than between Mercedes and Ferrari. Bottas is tired of being second fiddle to the 5-time champ. Hamilton's congratulatory remarks on Bottas after the race were really bad acting. Hamilton hates losing.

1. Bottas - Mercedes 25+1= 26 pts
2. Hamilton - Mercedes 18 pts
3. Verstappen - Red Bull 15 pts
4. Vettel - Ferrari 12 pts
5. Leclerc - Ferrari 10 pts
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I guess I'll watch NASCAR today, since it's my favorite track and my favorite driver is on the pole:

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2019/03 ... up-results
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

I had to watch a few laps of Indy cars at COTA today just to see how their lap times compared to F1. It was about what I expected, Indy cars about 15 Sec slower then F1.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

polsongrizz wrote:I had to watch a few laps of Indy cars at COTA today just to see how their lap times compared to F1. It was about what I expected, Indy cars about 15 Sec slower then F1.
F1 cars have superior braking, acceleration, downforce, and lateral grip than an Indy car, so they're going to win on a road course. Go to a very tight street circuit like Monaco and the F1 would dominate even more.

That being said, Indy drivers have balls of steel, especially on ovals. They're basically out there for two hours, on the very edge of popping that right front tire or losing grip in the rear and plowing the wall at a track like Indy or Texas at 180+.

Indy cars were doing 240mph twenty years ago and they finally got so dangerous that they had to dial them back. It's still a very dangerous sport though, as evidenced by the injuries and fatalities. F1 has really made their courses very safe with proper runoffs, traps, and crash barriers. F1 goes seasons without serious injury nowadays. The next one is almost certain to be a car to car collision rather than a car to track collision, as the tracks are so perfect.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Snoozer at M-Ville. Keselowski leads 446 laps and takes every stage.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:After an offseason of talk about how Ferrari was the best in testing, they get walked in the season opening Australian GP by Mercedes. Give the Germans time to pull out their slide rulers, and they get better.

Bottas wholeshots polesitter Hamilton on the start and Hamilton gets called in for the early pit to mark Vettel, leaving Bottas to coast home to a comfortable victory. Bottas also gets the extra point for fastest lap, a new rule for 2019.

I'm thinking this year's drama will be more within the Mercedes team than between Mercedes and Ferrari. Bottas is tired of being second fiddle to the 5-time champ. Hamilton's congratulatory remarks on Bottas after the race were really bad acting. Hamilton hates losing.

1. Bottas - Mercedes 25+1= 26 pts
2. Hamilton - Mercedes 18 pts
3. Verstappen - Red Bull 15 pts
4. Vettel - Ferrari 12 pts
5. Leclerc - Ferrari 10 pts
I finished watching a Netflix docuseries on the 2018 F1 season. I noticed that the 2019 F1 season just started so I figured I'd try to give it a go about giving a shit. I did watch a few races a few years back when they were on NBC. Not bad entertainment tbh.

Interesting to see all the driver/team changes from last season to this season. Not sure if I am going to have a team or driver to be a fan of. I do hate the Renault team though, because fuck the French, and they team manager talked a lot of shit to the Red Bull manager only to get totally mud stomped in 2018 (and 1 race into 2019).
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

93henfan wrote:
polsongrizz wrote:I had to watch a few laps of Indy cars at COTA today just to see how their lap times compared to F1. It was about what I expected, Indy cars about 15 Sec slower then F1.
F1 cars have superior braking, acceleration, downforce, and lateral grip than an Indy car, so they're going to win on a road course. Go to a very tight street circuit like Monaco and the F1 would dominate even more.

That being said, Indy drivers have balls of steel, especially on ovals. They're basically out there for two hours, on the very edge of popping that right front tire or losing grip in the rear and plowing the wall at a track like Indy or Texas at 180+.

Indy cars were doing 240mph twenty years ago and they finally got so dangerous that they had to dial them back. It's still a very dangerous sport though, as evidenced by the injuries and fatalities. F1 has really made their courses very safe with proper runoffs, traps, and crash barriers. F1 goes seasons without serious injury nowadays. The next one is almost certain to be a car to car collision rather than a car to track collision, as the tracks are so perfect.
All true, but up until yesterday neither series had actually raced on the same circuit so there was no real way to gauge the difference between the two on a track. Now there is and it was what most would expect.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

polsongrizz wrote:
93henfan wrote:

All true, but up until yesterday neither series had actually raced on the same circuit so there was no real way to gauge the difference between the two on a track. Now there is and it was what most would expect.
Plus, F1 picked up another second this year at Melbourne under a new rules package (simpler front wing, narrower and higher rear wing, smaller bargeboards) that was supposed to slow them down, so they'll gain another second at COTA this year.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Other than the vague resemblance in vehicle shape, the two series are designed for completely different purposes. One focuses on the pinnacle of racing technology; the other attempts close, open-wheel, driver-focused racing. F1 is all about tech, while IndyCar doesn't even use power steering.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Uh boy. NASCAR has some changes for 2020.
Homestead is no longer the site of NASCAR’s Cup Series title race.

NASCAR announced a host of changes to the 2020 Cup Series schedule on Tuesday including the revelation that Phoenix will be the site of the championship race next season.

Phoenix, which was recently given a $178 million makeover, will replace Homestead as the last race on the NASCAR calendar. Homestead, meanwhile, moves to the sixth race of the season.

The fall Phoenix race will be again held on the second Sunday in November, meaning the season will end a week sooner in 2020 than it does in 2019.
Many other changes too

The finale is not the only significant change to the playoff schedule. The Bristol night race, traditionally held in August, moves to September as the final race of the first round of the playoffs. The final race of the second round will be at the Charlotte road course/oval hybrid and the final race of the third round will be at Martinsville.

Indianapolis replaces Daytona as the July 4 weekend race. Daytona, which has typically held a 400-mile race around the holiday, will move its second race to the final race of the regular season. Indianapolis’ date moved from July to September in 2018.

Pocono will hold a Cup Series doubleheader on July 27 and July 28. Instead of having two different dates in the summer the track will have two races over one weekend. That move allows NBC to have a two-week NASCAR break for the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Martinsville will host its first night race in May.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-makes-s ... 36521.html
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I was having gimmick withdrawal. Thank God they came up with a few more. :jack: