Political discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:Utopian societies will never work, because people are never truly equal in them. Somebody pulls the strings, and that somebody is always going to look out for #1.

And then if #1 is sniffed out and executed, #2 becomes #1. Rinse and repeat.
It's natural to approach the concept from the collective human experience up to this point in time (as you did) and predict it'll never work, but if one arises, it'll be from an interconnection of events, technology, biological changes, etc. that we can't really imagine today.
Nature does not really show us Utopian societies. Nature behaves differently, similar to groups of animals, if you look at a wolf pack, lion pride, baboon troop, the alpha's eat first, breed first, then the rest are taken care of in order of importance.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Gil Dobie wrote:Nature does not really show us Utopian societies. Nature behaves differently, similar to groups of animals, if you look at a wolf pack, lion pride, baboon troop, the alpha's eat first, breed first, then the rest are taken care of in order of importance.
Humans are the one species which expertly controls nature. But what if it masters that control? What if we master nano-technology, replication, robotics, augmented reality, unlimited energy, etc.?

Yes we're animals and even share similar DNA with some you listed, but humans are still vastly different.

I don't disagree with your statement, but I don't agree that it's a foundation to say utopias are impossible.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Pwns wrote:
I didn't say it will be done via emergency declaration. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between expanding the court and what Trump is doing with the national emergency (besides that one is unprecedented, but does that make it right?)
One is a single individual surpassing the authority given to him by the contract he swore an oath to. And no one in his party giving a sh*t beyond symbolic finger-wagging.

One is hundreds of thousands of constituents telling their reps that they want something changed and said reps changing it with the full authority of the contract they swore an oath to.
No. One is recognizing an emergency and trying to right it while the other side plays politics, and the other is a party pissing and moaning that they’re going to change the rules because they didn’t get their way.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

AZGrizFan wrote: the other is a party pissing and moaning that they’re going to change the rules because they didn’t get their way.
Sums up Trump and his wall funding pretty well. Glad to see you're coming around, AZ. :thumb:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: the other is a party pissing and moaning that they’re going to change the rules because they didn’t get their way.
Sums up Trump and his wall funding pretty well. Glad to see you're coming around, AZ. :thumb:
Agreed. I dont agree with using the National Emergency declaration the way Trump did. That doesn’t excuse all the hand wringing and pissing and moaning going on by the left every time they don’t get their way.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

But, you're hand wringing, pissing and moaning about a hypothetical action that a Democratic POTUS may take in the future... while poo pooing Cheetolini in the present.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:But, you're hand wringing, pissing and moaning about a hypothetical action that a Democratic POTUS may take in the future... while poo pooing Cheetolini in the present.
I’m not poo pooing anything. I’ve been very consistent in my disapproval of Trump’s use of the Emergency Declaration and his attempts to circumvent the appropriations process.

and those may be “hypothetical”, but they’re rapidly becoming platform planks for just about every donk running for president.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Or like talking about adding SCOTUS seats when you're behind on the score.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
Or like talking about adding SCOTUS seats when you're behind on the score.
Or abolishing the EC because it didn’t get you the candidate you wanted
Or employing the nuclear option when you tried to get an extremist through the SC vetting process

That’s the donk mantra lately: don’t like the results? Just change the rules.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Here’s a thought exercise:

Why shouldn’t Trump just go ahead and nominate 4 new SCOTUS justices now, since the Dems seem to be making it a part of their platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:Here’s a thought exercise:

Why shouldn’t Trump just go ahead and nominate 4 new SCOTUS justices now, since the Dems seem to be making it a part of their platform?

I had that exact thought about an hour ago after posting my post above yours. Load that motherfucker up! :notworthy:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

So, in a single page of this thread you went from being against court packing... to for it? :lol:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Skjellyfetti wrote:So, in a single page of this thread you went from being against court packing... to for it? :lol:
:lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Either of you two want to ignore AZ for a second and take a shot at my question instead?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Here’s a thought exercise:

I had that exact thought about an hour ago after posting my post above yours. Load that motherfucker up! :notworthy:
There went the point, right over your head. :dunce: :dunce:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:Either of you two want to ignore AZ for a second and take a shot at my question instead?

:wtf: :willybs: :tothehand:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Either of you two want to ignore AZ for a second and take a shot at my question instead?

That's some strong sauce you got going on there, AZ

What brand?
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Nature does not really show us Utopian societies. Nature behaves differently, similar to groups of animals, if you look at a wolf pack, lion pride, baboon troop, the alpha's eat first, breed first, then the rest are taken care of in order of importance.
Humans are the one species which expertly controls nature. But what if it masters that control? What if we master nano-technology, replication, robotics, augmented reality, unlimited energy, etc.?

Yes we're animals and even share similar DNA with some you listed, but humans are still vastly different.

I don't disagree with your statement, but I don't agree that it's a foundation to say utopias are impossible.

Because of human nature and greed, a Utopia will never happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:

AZ, over the last week or so, you’ve turned into a combination of Walter Brennan and Stephen A. Smith. Whazzup?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Nobody wants to take a stab, I guess
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

:coffee:
FBI joining criminal investigation into certification of Boeing 737 MAX

The FBI has joined the criminal investigation into the certification of the Boeing 737 MAX, lending its considerable resources to an inquiry already being conducted by U.S. Department of Transportation agents, according to people familiar with the matter.

The federal grand jury investigation, based in Washington, D.C., is looking into the certification process that approved the safety of the new Boeing plane, two of which have crashed since October.

The FBI’s Seattle field office lies in proximity to Boeing’s 737 manufacturing plant in Renton, as well as nearby offices of Boeing and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) officials involved in the certification of the plane.

The investigation, which is being overseen by the U.S. Justice Department’s criminal division and carried out by the Transportation Department’s Inspector General, began in response to information obtained after a Lion Air 737 MAX 8 crashed shortly after takeoff from Jakarta on Oct. 29, killing 189 people, Bloomberg reported earlier this week, citing an unnamed source.

It has widened since then, The Associated Press reported this week, with the grand jury issuing a subpoena on March 11 for information from someone involved in the plane’s development, one day after the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX 8 near Addis Ababa that killed 157 people.

The FBI’s support role was described by people on condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of the investigation.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... ssion=true
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Clitz (R) and klam (L)? :?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

:rofl:
After Devin Nunes Sues a Parody Cow, It Surpasses Him on Twitter

Consider this: a parody account pretending to be an imaginary cow owned by Representative Devin Nunes, the California Republican, is more popular on Twitter than the congressman, a day after he sued the account (and Twitter) for $250 million.

This is how politics and humor now play out in the strange world of social media.

The parody account @DevinCow had only 1,200 followers on Monday, but it ended Wednesday afternoon with 467,000, surpassing Mr. Nunes’s account with its 395,000 followers. And the count was still growing.

But there’s more. A website now sells Devin Cow T-shirts. Twitter users have been celebrating with cow-themed items and jokes. Even Mr. Nunes’s fellow legislators showed their support for the errant beast. Ted Lieu, a Democratic congressman from Southern California, told Mr. Nunes on Twitter to “lighten up, dude.”

Of course, no one might have heard of @DevinCow if Mr. Nunes had not sued Twitter and other users for defamation on Tuesday, seeking $250 million and an end to online mockery he said no one should have to “suffer in their whole life.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/us/p ... 0XVjxyrhws

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

I’m sure New Yorkers feel much safer knowing this...

Cuomo, NYPD chief call to ban repeat masturbators from NYC subway

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

The MTA Police Chief is OK with people evading fares...but wanking off is unacceptable on his trains...

:coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:So, in a single page of this thread you went from being against court packing... to for it? :lol:
You missed his point

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17