2019 Official Baseball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2019 Official Baseball Season Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pete LaCock on battling Bob Gibson
“Billy Williams had broken his ankle, so the team was looking for a left-handed hitter. I had been hitting the ball pretty well, so they brought me up from Double-A. I was 19 years old. The game was in Chicago, and Bob Gibson was pitching for the Cardinals.

“It was 3-2, bottom of the ninth, and we had runners on second and third with two outs. Our pitcher was due up and Don Kessinger was the next hitter. He wasn’t a very good left-handed hitter — he was a better right-handed hitter — and Gibson had already struck him out a few times.

“I figured they were going to walk me. My run didn’t mean anything and putting me on meant they could get an out an any base. They had a meeting on the mound and somebody said, ‘Does anybody know this guy?’ Gibson said, ‘If they’re bringing in a rookie, I’m pitching to him.’ Ted Simmons was the catcher, and he told me this. When he comes back behind the plate, he goes, ‘They’re going to pitch to you, kid.’ I said, ‘Great.’

“First pitch, base hit, game over. I’m out there giving high fives.

“About three weeks later we go to St. Louis. I’m hitting third and Gibson is pitching again. I’m looking for my bats and all they’re gone. I was panicking. Billy Williams is sitting there with a cast on his ankle and he’s got them. He goes, ‘Pete, there are two outs and nobody on. You’ll make baseball history. Go to the plate without a bat and just stand there.’ I said, ‘You’re crazy, man. Just give me the bat.’ He said, ‘Gibson is going to hit you.’ I said, ‘No he‘s not. He forgot about it.’

“First pitch, Wham! He nailed me.

“Next time up, I’m thinking he figures I’m going to be scared, but I’m not. I’m just looking for a pitch to hit. Well, he gets me about two inches below where he hit me the first time.

“[In 1975], they had a Bob Gibson Day, in St. Louis. They gave him a big parade, a motor home, a bust of his head. The whole nine yards. He didn’t start that game — he was pitching out of the bullpen at the time — but in a 6-6 tie, they started warming him up.

“The bases were loaded with nobody out. Gibson comes in. First guy pops up, second guy strikes out. I’m the next hitter. The count runs to 3-2 and I hit a grand slam home run to beat him. It was the last pitch he ever threw.

“He comes off the mound and is calling me everything you can imagine. He’s following me around the bases, and by the time I get to third, I’m almost walking. I thought we were going to fight. I had charged the mound against him before. Twice, actually.

“The surface was Astroturf, and my home run hit the mezzanine and rolled back to the infield. Ted Sizemore was the second baseman, and he got the ball and flipped it over to Gibson. As I was walking into to the dugout, he threw it at me.

“About 15 years later, we’re doing an old-timer’s game in Royals Stadium. Bob Feller is pitching. I walk up to hit, and when I get up to the plate, Gibson comes out of the dugout. He goes to the mound and starts warming up. I’m wondering what in the Sam Hill? First pitch, he drills me.

“I ended up coaching with the Cardinals. Buddy Bates was the clubhouse guy, and when I go into the coaches room, I see that I’m lockering right next to Gibson. I’m going, ‘Buddy, this ain’t going to work.’ He’s saying, `Yeah, yeah, this is going to be good.’ The whole time I was there, I don’t think Gibson said one word to me.

“Anyway, the first time I charged him, I didn’t get halfway there. Ted Simmons jumped on my back. I ended up on the bottom of the pile and got my ass kicked. The other time, I figured I’d walk half way to first, then take a left. I started to, but Shag Crawford — he was the umpire — was right behind me. He knew I was planning to go after him. I knew [Gibson’s reputation] but in baseball you get brave and you get stupid.”
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote:Pete LaCock on battling Bob Gibson
“Billy Williams had broken his ankle, so the team was looking for a left-handed hitter. I had been hitting the ball pretty well, so they brought me up from Double-A. I was 19 years old. The game was in Chicago, and Bob Gibson was pitching for the Cardinals.

“It was 3-2, bottom of the ninth, and we had runners on second and third with two outs. Our pitcher was due up and Don Kessinger was the next hitter. He wasn’t a very good left-handed hitter — he was a better right-handed hitter — and Gibson had already struck him out a few times.

“I figured they were going to walk me. My run didn’t mean anything and putting me on meant they could get an out an any base. They had a meeting on the mound and somebody said, ‘Does anybody know this guy?’ Gibson said, ‘If they’re bringing in a rookie, I’m pitching to him.’ Ted Simmons was the catcher, and he told me this. When he comes back behind the plate, he goes, ‘They’re going to pitch to you, kid.’ I said, ‘Great.’

“About three weeks later we go to St. Louis. I’m hitting third and Gibson is pitching again. I’m looking for my bats and all they’re gone. I was panicking. Billy Williams is sitting there with a cast on his ankle and he’s got them. He goes, ‘Pete, there are two outs and nobody on. You’ll make baseball history. Go to the plate without a bat and just stand there.’ I said, ‘You’re crazy, man. Just give me the bat.’ He said, ‘Gibson is going to hit you.’ I said, ‘No he‘s not. He forgot about it.’

“Next time up, I’m thinking he figures I’m going to be scared, but I’m not. I’m just looking for a pitch to hit. Well, he gets me about two inches below where he hit me the first time.

“[In 1975], they had a Bob Gibson Day, in St. Louis. They gave him a big parade, a motor home, a bust of his head. The whole nine yards. He didn’t start that game — he was pitching out of the bullpen at the time — but in a 6-6 tie, they started warming him up.

“The bases were loaded with nobody out. Gibson comes in. First guy pops up, second guy strikes out. I’m the next hitter. The count runs to 3-2 and I hit a grand slam home run to beat him. It was the last pitch he ever threw.

“He comes off the mound and is calling me everything you can imagine. He’s following me around the bases, and by the time I get to third, I’m almost walking. I thought we were going to fight. I had charged the mound against him before. Twice, actually.

“The surface was Astroturf, and my home run hit the mezzanine and rolled back to the infield. Ted Sizemore was the second baseman, and he got the ball and flipped it over to Gibson. As I was walking into to the dugout, he threw it at me.

“About 15 years later, we’re doing an old-timer’s game in Royals Stadium. Bob Feller is pitching. I walk up to hit, and when I get up to the plate, Gibson comes out of the dugout. He goes to the mound and starts warming up. I’m wondering what in the Sam Hill? First pitch, he drills me.

“I ended up coaching with the Cardinals. Buddy Bates was the clubhouse guy, and when I go into the coaches room, I see that I’m lockering right next to Gibson. I’m going, ‘Buddy, this ain’t going to work.’ He’s saying, `Yeah, yeah, this is going to be good.’ The whole time I was there, I don’t think Gibson said one word to me.

“Anyway, the first time I charged him, I didn’t get halfway there. Ted Simmons jumped on my back. I ended up on the bottom of the pile and got my ass kicked. The other time, I figured I’d walk half way to first, then take a left. I started to, but Shag Crawford — he was the umpire — was right behind me. He knew I was planning to go after him. I knew [Gibson’s reputation] but in baseball you get brave and you get stupid.”
:suspicious: The first high five I ever saw was in 1979.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Pete LaCock on battling Bob Gibson

:suspicious: The first high five I ever saw was in 1979.
Never thought of that, it was always give me some skin before that, two hand slap or one at a time.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Yankees set a franchise record for strikeouts in a 9 inning game - 18. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
The great game of baseball is being ruined by the big swing. :thumbdown:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:Yankees set a franchise record for strikeouts in a 9 inning game - 18. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
The irony is that you don't even need to swing big in the new Yankee Stadium - you can get home runs on a lot of balls that wouldn't be home runs anywhere else.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Yankees set a franchise record for strikeouts in a 9 inning game - 18. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
The irony is that you don't even need to swing big in the new Yankee Stadium - you can get home runs on a lot of balls that wouldn't be home runs anywhere else.
Yes, it's nice to have one stadium we Phillies fans can call a bandbox with a straight face.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Will Robertson be this year’s Hector Neris? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Satchel Paige

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yes, it's nice to have one stadium we Phillies fans can call a bandbox with a straight face.
It makes Citizen's Bank look like the Polo Grounds in center field. I remember Cole Hamels pitching there when it first opened, he pitched a guy inside, the guy broke his bat on the swing, and it still got over the fence in left. There are backyard Whiffle Ball parks that are harder to hit it out of compared with the new Yankee Stadium.

With that said, I much prefer parks like that, all mockery aside, then parks like the Mets place where home run balls go to die. Chicks dig the long ball.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Nats return the favor of blanking the Mets on their home opener. Back to .500 quickly and feeling a lot better about the bullpen.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The Tigers are alone in 1st place. :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AshevilleApp wrote:The Phillies are alone in 1st place. :coffee:
Indeed.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Orioles reverting to form. :roll:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Who are these guys wearing Yankee uniforms?

Current Injured List:

Hicks - Starting CF
Stanton - Starting DH
Gregorius - Starting SS
Tulowitzki - Backup SS
Andujar - Starting 3B
Severino - #1 Starter
Sabathia - #3/4 Starter
Betances - Reliever
Montgomery - #5 Starter
Heller - Reliever
Ellsbury - Backup OF

:ohno:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:Orioles reverting to form. :roll:
Chris Davis is 0-44 dating back to Sep 14 last season. He is two hitless at-bats short of the MLB record for position players.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp wrote:The Tigers are alone in 1st place. :coffee:
As they should be. :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:Who are these guys wearing Yankee uniforms?

Current Injured List:

Hicks - Starting CF
Stanton - Starting DH
Gregorius - Starting SS
Tulowitzki - Backup SS
Andujar - Starting 3B
Severino - #1 Starter
Sabathia - #3/4 Starter
Betances - Reliever
Montgomery - #5 Starter
Heller - Reliever
Ellsbury - Backup OF

Severino is my fault, about half my fantasy team, and counting is injured.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote:

Current Injured List:

Hicks - Starting CF
Stanton - Starting DH
Gregorius - Starting SS
Tulowitzki - Backup SS
Andujar - Starting 3B
Severino - #1 Starter
Sabathia - #3/4 Starter
Betances - Reliever
Montgomery - #5 Starter
Heller - Reliever
Ellsbury - Backup OF

Severino is my fault, about half my fantasy team, and counting is injured.
:lol:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Current Injured List:

Hicks - Starting CF
Stanton - Starting DH
Gregorius - Starting SS
Tulowitzki - Backup SS
Andujar - Starting 3B
Severino - #1 Starter
Sabathia - #3/4 Starter
Betances - Reliever
Montgomery - #5 Starter
Heller - Reliever
Ellsbury - Backup OF

Hilariously and in true Yankee fashion
they're paying Jacoby Ellsbury $21 million to not quite crack the starting line-up

:rofl:

with three years left on his contract
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Nats have only played the Phils and Mets so far and that continues with a trip to Philly up next. I know it's got to be a huge computer program that spits out the MLB schedule and you play everyone a set number of times, but opening with 11 straight games against the same two teams has to be some kind of record. :?

Good news/bad news is they are .500 against them both so far.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Hey remember... Yankees fans
Chris Davis of Baltimore signed a $161 Million dollar contract in 2016
and he's basically gone into early retirement since that moment

Last season Davis authored a miserable .168/.243/.296 batting line in 522 plate appearances
one of the 20 worst MLB season of all time
He was historically terrible last year

The Orioles signed Davis to a seven-year contract worth $161 million in January 2016, and they still owe him approximately $92 million through 2022

The contract seemed ill-advised the day it was signed... and here we are
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The M’s are 13-2? What the actual fuck?

I’m launching this curse today so I don’t have to become a baseball fan and suffer in September.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote:Satchel Paige

Those are some fancy treads. I will take a pair. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Did anyone see them play?
The TV ratings for the Rays are actually pretty good. No one wants to go to that god awful stadium.
Then have the taxpayers buy them a new one.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Padres open up 11-5 and are 2.5 games up on the Doyers.

What

the

fuck

:shock:

I'm visiting fam next week in SD, looks like I'll have to catch a game now.