Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

The problem is Islam, unlike every other religion in existence presently, has not reformed...
and they collectively (77%) see any reformation attempts as blasphemy

Islam continues to prove it is not compatible with the world today
as your hero Jordan Peterson says:
"Mohammed was a warlord and I just don't know what to do about that"

Conversely the bulk of Islamic Nations, Muslims flee from en mas
Because they are brutal dumpster fires and unrelentingly backwards

so we have this problem... and it's spreading
and this Islamic politician you defend does not hide her loyalties
yet simultaneously she would flee from an Islamic Nation

She is here but she is not with you kalm (make no mistake)

:nod:
I agree with much of this but try and understand I’m not defending her position or words. Just pointing out the inanity of getting triggered by it or attitude that leads to putting a bullet in the head of a US congresswoman over words.
This right here^^^^^

A textbook straw man argument.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

:roll:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm really taking a beating the last few pages defending Omar. Ouch.

Oh and still waiting on the DNC to hold her accountable for her open antisemitism. I'm sure it'll happen some day. :roll:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Africa would be Wakanda if it weren't for all the infrastructure and technology da white devil colonialists brought. :roll:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:Africa would be Wakanda if it weren't for all the infrastructure and technology da white devil colonialists brought. :roll:
Colonialism...

West Africa can be a case study in poor governance for the next 200 years and it will still be colonialism’s fault.

In the same amount if time, Americans went from candlelight and fearing smallpox to landing a man on the moon and defeating polio (and smallpox)

Western Civ is the greatest thing to ever happen to the human race, The fact that we now squander and vilify it is why we dont deserve it and should all be devoured by hyenas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
Pwns wrote:Africa would be Wakanda if it weren't for all the infrastructure and technology da white devil colonialists brought. :roll:
Colonialism...

West Africa can be a case study in poor governance for the next 200 years and it will still be colonialism’s fault.

In the same amount if time, Americans went from candlelight and fearing smallpox to landing a man on the moon and defeating polio (and smallpox)

Western Civ is the greatest thing to ever happen to the human race, The fact that we now squander and vilify it is why we dont deserve it and should all be devoured by hyenas
Both of these ^ posts are SPOT ON
Show me the Great Islamic Nation that people aren't fleeing from
Show me the great black nation that isn't in a state of complete chaos or rampant dysfunction

Islam has nothing to offer the world today
Islam can't even be left alone with itself... Muslims murdering Muslims is common
were it any other religion or Nation it would be regarded in epidemic proportions

fundamental religion poisons everything
and it always has... only when a religion edits itself with extreme redaction and modification
can it be involved in society as a positive thing

There is no mystery why extracting religion from governance has been the true "revelation" of man

:coffee:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Colonialism...

Both of these ^ posts are SPOT ON
Show me the Great Islamic Nation that people aren't fleeing from
Show me the great black nation that isn't in a state of complete chaos or rampant dysfunction

Islam has nothing to offer the world today
Islam can't even be left alone with itself... Muslims murdering Muslims is common
were it any other religion or Nation it would be regarded in epidemic proportions

fundamental religion poisons everything
and it always has... only when a religion edits itself with extreme redaction and modification
can it be involved in society as a positive thing

There is no mystery why extracting religion from governance has been the true "revelation" of man

:coffee:
And if we accept that you can't just bring western democracy to these countries with lots of foreign aid or UN resolutions or bombs and guns and coercion, does it not follow you can't set up communities of these people in places like London and "Little Mogadishu" and expect them to be thriving communities churning out doctors and engineers?

That seems to be a corollary that some on the left don't even think about.
Celebrate Diversity.*
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:
She's fair game, but so are the critiques. I defend her because it's not as if there's a shortage of muslim hatred in America.

I just get tired of the extremism from both sides. There was a call on social media to put a bullet in her head.
Fighting extremism with extremism only works if you're willing to kill them all. Otherwise, the moderates and concepts of liberalism are the best means of de-radicalizing islam. Being severely triggered or issuing threats because she didn't use the right verbage doesn't help.
It’s funny how you back away from this while throwing down straw men as fast as you can

What extremism exactly is on display from people like Dan Crenshaw who are criticizing Omar, klam?

A couple times now you’ve suggested people were acting like drama queens and now you’re resting on a social media post? Do you know how many of those Trump gets daily? (Oh my goodness! Someone actually threatened a Congresscritter on social media.... it’s Trumps fault!!!)

Criticizing people who minimize crimes of terrorism, genocide, and crimes against humanity is not extreme. And that is all her prominent critics have done.

All the tweets from 2020 Dem hopefuls are essentially saying that any public criticism of Omar is inciting violence and is rooted in Islamophobia. This is what you are defending.
Yeah it was dumb for AOC to go after Crenshaw especially given his sacrifice.

And I’ll cop to to not explaining myself very well. The extremism and tribalism of simply verbal attacks is what I’m getting tired of and it comes from both sides. And yes there abundant drama queens ready to pounce from all directions.

Shit’s getting old
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Why do people question Ilhan Omar's love of America? Must be racism, sexism, and Islamophobia. :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote:Why do people question Ilhan Omar's love of America? Must be racism, sexism, and Islamophobia. :lol:
Meh,
there are a lot of different ways to love something that doesn't love you back
I've had people tell me I don't love America

My concern about her is she doesn't equate the republic with it's success
She sees everything as a history of exploitation, oddly enough, except Islam

:shock:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Notre-Dame Cathedral is on fire.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Paris.html

Brace yourselves for Quasimodo memes.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Such is the life of buildings, even the great ones.

Build a better Cathedral and move on.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:Such is the life of buildings, even the great ones.

:roll: :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:

I got to admit:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:

I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.

Then again, there's quite a few buildings people find worth saving that I think should be torn down. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :roll: :ohno:
I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.

Then again, there's quite a few buildings people find worth saving that I think should be torn down. :lol:
So we should tear down old things so we can build something else? Wtf?

It’s my opinion, but the architecture of these old buildings is just one thing that’s great about them. Nothing really gets built like that anymore. Nothing has hay charm. I’ve got a friend that designs towers and even she laments the most art that used to go into buildings.

Last edited by Ibanez on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The wooden inside is what’s burning (was all of that original?). The stone walls are still standing.

WWII there were countless buildings & churches heavily damaged and/or destroyed. Many were rebuilt. I don’t know if there were any over 800 years old, but I’m sure there were some. It sucks, but it happens.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.
:suspicious: There already is plenty of opportunity, don't need to lose historic buildings like this one for that.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:The wooden inside is what’s burning (was all of that original?). The stone walls are still standing.

WWII there were countless buildings & churches heavily damaged and/or destroyed. Many were rebuilt. I don’t know if there were any over 800 years old, but I’m sure there were some. It sucks, but it happens.
There are 1000 ur old churches still standing in France. I’ve been in them. They’ve survived the wars

And I. agree. It sucks. But I still disagree with Trip about tearing them down so we can build some ugly building. Churches, IMO, have gone from these beautiful buildings to steel warehouse looking garbage dumps. They’re terrible.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:The wooden inside is what’s burning (was all of that original?). The stone walls are still standing.

I can't imagine the wood is anywhere close to original.

With that said, historical buildings can certainly be priceless - knowing that someone 2,000 years ago could see the same structure as you see today (certainly with some details different) is a profound experience and well worth the preservation of some historical structures. Losing that and losing a tie to the past is almost always a sad thing.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.
:suspicious: There already is plenty of opportunity, don't need to lose historic buildings like this one for that.
Trump...I mean TRIPP has lost it

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:

I can't imagine the wood is anywhere close to original.

With that said, historical buildings can certainly be priceless - knowing that someone 2,000 years ago could see the same structure as you see today (certainly with some details different) is a profound experience and well worth the preservation of some historical structures. Losing that and losing a tie to the past is almost always a sad thing.
Some wood WAS from the 13th century. Other as new as the 19th. Stained glass that spanned from Original to the 20th century. But it’s more than just its building materials. That’s what TRIPP either ignores, doesn’t understands or cares about.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

So we should tear down old things so we can build something else? Wtf?
Sure, plenty working buildings are past their useful lives or society's outgrown them, but we keep them around because they're old. The White House is a good example.

I don't think Notre Dame wasn't such a building though. But it's still just a building. The loss is the physical connection to the past, but it was going to happen eventually.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :roll: :ohno:

Disagree. Certain things should be saved for all generations (this is one of them). Least we start to forget our past and the choices that were made back then.

This generation would put up a building, designed by a committee of all relevant parties and bare a strikingly resemblance to a chrome shoe box stood on end with a personality to match.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Winterborn wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

Disagree. Certain things should be saved for all generations (this is one of them). Least we start to forget our past and the choices that were made back then.

This generation would put up a building, designed by a committee of all relevant parties and bare a strikingly resemblance to a chrome shoe box stood on end with a personality to match.
It's funny you say that because a temple hundreds of years old was torn down to build Notre Dame, it took 180 years to build it, and French leaders changed the architecture throughout its history.