FCS Football Spring Previews

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

FCS Football Spring Previews

Post by Gil Dobie »

New Bison Head Coach has a few major holes to fill this season.

Link

The biggest question is quarterback. For the first time since 2010 there is a quarterback battle at NDSU. With Easton Stick's graduation, there now is a hole as to who will take over as the Bison signal caller. Every indicator during the fall pointed to freshman phenom Trey Lance being the guy, and that is the odds-on favorite. NDSU did bring in transfer Zeb Noland, who will we see the first time this spring to provide some competition. Holden Hotchkiss and Noah Sanders are still on the roster, but I believe this is a two-horse race at QB.

The Bison running back situation will be interesting to follow this spring. With Bruce Anderson and Lance Dunn moving on, who becomes the "lead back"? Ty Brooks, Adam Cofield, Seth Wilson and Saybein Clark return to that position. I would look for Wilson to become the guy, but watch for Clark too. He got in four games last season and has the frame to be a special player at that spot.

The offensive line graduated the best center in the FCS in Tanner Volson along with three year starter Colin Conner, those are two big holes to replace. Having both tackles back is a nice start with Zack Johnson entering his third year starting along with All-American candidate Dillon Radunz back on the left side. Matt Entz has promised "some interesting combinations" on the O-line, so that's something to watch this month. Cordell Volson, Nash Jensen, Joe Schreiber and Karson Schoening are names that Bison fans should be familiar with, I believe each are going to play and maybe a lot this fall.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: FCS Football Spring Previews

Post by kalm »

We graduate three talented CB’s and 320 lb DT, JT Tiuli but are deep at LB, DE, Safety. With all the injuries last year, a bunch of underclassmen got significant PT and some starts.

Levao and and Blackburn both got gray shirts so the OL is intact and we should be able to run it well again. I’m not ready to crown him yet but word is that EB3 is the most talented QB to ever play at EWU. We may be a little less talented at WR than in the past but Andrew Boston is a name to remember.

Need to also replace our AA kicker and Punter.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Delaware is doing a stadium renovation. That's about it.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:Delaware is doing a stadium renovation. That's about it.
We may also have a fairly dynamic home-grown QB this year. Hopefully the NDSU meanies don't decapitate him. He only weighs a little over a buck fitty.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
We may also have a fairly dynamic home-grown QB this year. Hopefully the NDSU meanies don't decapitate him. He only weighs a little over a buck fitty.
Small hands?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
Like one of those pesky guys we always struggle against. :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Small hands?
No, no. Large hands and a third leg if you know what I mean, but only weighs 175. One hit and he may get a ruptured spleen.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

Montana State comes into Spring Ball with probably one of the deepest and strongest teams ever to say hut, and "Ready Break"... Really all that Spring Ball is meant for at MSU is to figure out the players that need to transfer Power 5 schools, because they have no chance of cracking the " 2-deep" (that's what she said)..

QB---Cats have moved their all time great QB to the Defensive side of the ball, because he was bored with racking up 500 yards a game. Cats have 2 young guns that both stand at 6'6" and about 240. Both have laser-rocket arms, but are probably also able to run (I say probably, because so far it has only taken them about .1 second to get the ball out perfectly)

RB--Ifanse is back, so good luck there (remember, he was the Gatorade player of the year for Washingston). We also have CM back, and Andersen will run a little as well, IF we need him.

O-line--Big, Fast, Strong, Solid...Think of NDSU o-line, but less gravy, and more mustle

D-line--Looking to improve on the Tackle position. Well not "Improve, just stop all the runs instead of almost all of them...

LB's---Probably the greatest group of athletes ever assembled. TA will probably not even start, they are that good (FYI Andersen will probably be the #1 overall Draft pick in a couple years).

Secondary---Don't try to pass on this group...Just don't.
Last edited by SACCAT on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Pre-view? Towson wrapped up a week or so ago.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU:
-New HC Curt Cignetti has put together an impressive staff on paper.

-As of now JMU returns 20 starters (going by who started the most games at each position) (that compares to only about 8 returning starters last year from 2017).
+ return 2017 AA/2018 pre season CAA Defensive POTY CB Rashard Robinson, who missed all of last season due to injury. Before he was injured HERO had him tabbed as the top draft pick out of I-AA for 2019. Robinson will replace AA/CAA Defensive POTY CB Jimmy Moreland (as of a few days ago has been projected as high as the 3rd round).

-Rising rSr/former Pitt QB Ben Dinucci (3rd team All CAA last season, yet very inconsistent) isn't guaranteed to be the starter. He's in a 3 way battle with last year's 2 backups, a rising rJr, and a rising rSo.

-Haven't taken a single I-A transfer yet. :shock: I can't remember the last time that was the case by April. Part of that is because only had 11 seniors on last year's team. Are actually -4 I-A transfers from last season, 3 who were seniors and 1 who left the team. Only 6 now on the team.

Last season had the talent, but the youngest, most inexperienced JMU team I can remember. Next season have the talent and experience, an impressive, but new coaching staff. For a lot of JMU fans last year was a rebuild, and next season its Frisco or bust.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Montana is still rebuilding. Bobby Hauck is granted 10 years to get his players in the system. Granted, the last guy only got three years, his offensive innovation has been highlighted in the NFL, dealt with 4 scholarship reduction, weird injuries to his QBs and his win loss % is higher than Hauck's return.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

SeattleGriz wrote:Montana is still rebuilding. Bobby Hauck is granted 10 years to get his players in the system. Granted, the last guy only got three years, his offensive innovation has been highlighted in the NFL, dealt with 4 scholarship reduction, weird injuries to his QBs and his win loss % is higher than Hauck's return.
Didn't he also win a playoff game?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SACCAT wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Montana is still rebuilding. Bobby Hauck is granted 10 years to get his players in the system. Granted, the last guy only got three years, his offensive innovation has been highlighted in the NFL, dealt with 4 scholarship reduction, weird injuries to his QBs and his win loss % is higher than Hauck's return.
Didn't he also win a playoff game?
:nod:

https://static.bigskyconf.com/custompag ... m-sdsu.htm
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

On eGriz, everyone's like "don't worry, we'll just fill 6 or 7 holes with transfers and it'll be fine." :suspicious:
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

We'll be good by 2024. If we still have the sport at that time. Until then, I'm just gonna relax and not worry about silly futbol or quidditch or whatever we're talking about.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Tim Murphy is still at Harvard.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.