Trump no matter what
35%
The Democrat no matter what
27%
Third Party/Independent/Write-in/Blank no matter what
19%
Trump, unless the donks nominate ___, which is unlikely
3%
The Democrat, unless the donks nominate ____, which is unlikely.
No votes
Third Party or Independent, unless the donks nominate ____, which is unlikely.
8%
Fvck dis Schit what's the point 2020
8%

Total votes: 37

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: RE: Re: April 2019 Presidential Preference Poll

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
..and the male domination has not exactly all been good either. There have been some great world leaders of the opposite sex.
Exactly one

(Thatcher)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Some beg to differ...

phpBB [video]
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: April 2019 Presidential Preference Poll

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: You're joking, right? Voting for either party is throwing away your vote, even though one of them will win? Whereas voting third party is not a waste, even though your vote will be going to somebody who will get maybe 5% of the vote in a good year?

And voting your conscience is only if they vote how you say they should vote? :lol:
Jesus, you're being exceptionally dense today. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

It's throwing away your vote because in the long run it DOES. NOT. MATTER. If either of the major party candidates win, it's same ol' same ol'....wanting change and then voting for the same thing over and over again...the definition of insanity. Again, is that REALLY that difficult of a concept to grasp?
IF there was a chance for actual change... good change, you'd have a point. But alas, there is not so you don't. A third party vote is the epitome of a wasted vote. Just like my write in vote. I get it. You don't.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

It's throwing away your vote because in the long run it DOES. NOT. MATTER. If either of the major party candidates win, it's same ol' same ol'....wanting change and then voting for the same thing over and over again...the definition of insanity. Again, is that REALLY that difficult of a concept to grasp?
IF there was a chance for actual change... good change, you'd have a point. But alas, there is not so you don't. A third party vote is the epitome of a wasted vote. Just like my write in vote. I get it. You don't.
With that attitude there will never be change. Fatalist. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

No, what I get and you don't is that if people keep saying "I'm a third party proponent and the system is broken" and then continue to vote for one of the two major parties, we'll NEVER have a "chance for actual change". I guess the difference is I believe we COULD have change. You don't. Klammy is right...you're a fatalist.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: IF there was a chance for actual change... good change, you'd have a point. But alas, there is not so you don't. A third party vote is the epitome of a wasted vote. Just like my write in vote. I get it. You don't.
No, what I get and you don't is that if people keep saying "I'm a third party proponent and the system is broken" and then continue to vote for one of the two major parties, we'll NEVER have a "chance for actual change". I guess the difference is I believe we COULD have change. You don't. Klammy is right...you're a fatalist.
It's not like it's close guys. It's been 26 years since Ross Perot got almost 19% of the vote. Nothing has been close since. Last year all the third party together didn't crack 6%.

Now, IF a Republican runs as an independent this year, I would expect a better than average year, but don't look for anyone to crack 5% on their own. You say fatalist, I say realist.

Could change... sure. I could also win the lottery. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
It's not like it's close guys. It's been 26 years since Ross Perot got almost 19% of the vote. Nothing has been close since. Last year all the third party together didn't crack 6%.

Now, IF a Republican runs as an independent this year, I would expect a better than average year, but don't look for anyone to crack 5% on their own. You say fatalist, I say realist.

I certainly doesn't help that politics as an industry has made it nearly impossible for a competitor to take root and grow.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

What % of people do you think vote major party but would vote 3rd party if (like you) they thought "they had a chance for actual change"?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: It's not like it's close guys. It's been 26 years since Ross Perot got almost 19% of the vote. Nothing has been close since. Last year all the third party together didn't crack 6%.

What % of people do you think vote major party but would vote 3rd party if (like you) they thought "they had a chance for actual change"?

Then support ranked choice or cumulative voting
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I’d be on board with ranked choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Ibanez wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

I’d be on board with ranked choice.

Same here.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I'd be fine with ranked choice in primaries, but I don't think it would make any difference in the actual Presidential election. Besides, it ends up giving the eventual winner even more of a mandate (the "see, I had more than 50% of the vote, people really wanted me" vibe). This past election was a perfect example - both Hillary and Trump were terrible candidates - why do we want a system that bestows any more mandate on the winner of that election than what they already had? Ranked voting kinda covers over the ugly warts of an election and shines it up to look pretty.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

I'd be fine with ranked choice in primaries, but I don't think it would make any difference in the actual Presidential election. Besides, it ends up giving the eventual winner even more of a mandate (the "see, I had more than 50% of the vote, people really wanted me" vibe). This past election was a perfect example - both Hillary and Trump were terrible candidates - why do we want a system that bestows any more mandate on the winner of that election than what they already had? Ranked voting kinda covers over the ugly warts of an election and shines it up to look pretty.

But it might make a difference in getting other members elected. Need to start there.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Cumulative voting would actually give a third or fourth party a better shot at winning seats in the House.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I’d be on board with ranked choice.

Same here.
I think the concept is intriguing. I could have had a ballot that looked something like this:

1) Gary Johnson
2) Willie Nelson
3) Donald Duck
4) Mickey Mouse
5) Kid Rock
99) Donald Trump
100) Hildabeast
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: Same here.
I think the concept is intriguing. I could have had a ballot that looked something like this:

1) Gary Johnson
2) Willie Nelson
3) Donald Duck
4) Mickey Mouse
5) Kid Rock
99) Donald Trump
100) Hildabeast
Hence the idea that Trump still would've won and he could've claimed a more than 50% mandate.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:Cumulative voting would actually give a third or fourth party a better shot at winning seats in the House.
Sure, but in some cases it would be someone's second or third choice, which doesn't really mean they'd want those candidates either. I've seen Parliamentary governments, I really wouldn't want one of those here.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

1) Gary Johnson
2) Willie Nelson
3) Donald Duck
4) Mickey Mouse
5) Kid Rock
99) Donald Trump
100) Hildabeast
Hence the idea that Trump still would've won and he could've claimed a more than 50% mandate.
Can he really claim a "mandate" if it takes 99 ballots to get him one? :coffee: :coffee:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Cumulative voting would actually give a third or fourth party a better shot at winning seats in the House.
Sure, but in some cases it would be someone's second or third choice, which doesn't really mean they'd want those candidates either. I've seen Parliamentary governments, I really wouldn't want one of those here.

Do you know what I mean by cumulative voting?

What part of a Parliamentary government do you not like?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

“Since we aren’t a parliamentary system, I love everything about it.”

- Houndawg

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: It's not like it's close guys. It's been 26 years since Ross Perot got almost 19% of the vote. Nothing has been close since. Last year all the third party together didn't crack 6%.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

I don't like narrow-minded, single-issue political groups. For all of their warts, I prefer the bigger umbrella political parties that bring those groups together. Or do you actually like political parties like the UKIP? The Weimar Republic and the flip flop coalitions are other great examples of the wonder of Parliamentary systems. I'll take our setup, warts and all.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

It’s unconstitutional in federal elections, but other than that...
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

I'd be fine with ranked choice in primaries, but I don't think it would make any difference in the actual Presidential election. .
I think the last Presidential election is an example of one in which it could have made a difference. Trump did not get a majority of the vote in Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, or Wisconsin. And the margins were extremely close in those States. What if people who did not vote for either major Party candidate in those States had been able to indicate a second choice that would've gotten their vote if nobody got at least 50%? Not implausible at all that it could've made a difference.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

I don't like narrow-minded, single-issue political groups. For all of their warts, I prefer the bigger umbrella political parties that bring those groups together. Or do you actually like political parties like the UKIP? The Weimar Republic and the flip flop coalitions are other great examples of the wonder of Parliamentary systems. I'll take our setup, warts and all.

No, I like our system better. However, the reality is we have single interest parties that are in a coalition to govern - Groups like the Freedom Caucus are no different than the UKIP, and have a disproportionate control over the GOP.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

It’s unconstitutional in federal elections, but other than that...
There is the Amendment process.

And cite where you think it is unconstitutional