Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Re: The Official

Post by CitadelGrad »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
So many people... so much ignorance

These people are being paroled into the country anyway, to await hearings they never show up for.

Busing them to places where they will be in the loving arms of people who want them is better than just pushing them outside the wire in El Paso and making them fend for themselves... to find their own transport to those cities anyway

I’d like for someone to show me the pitfall at the end of this exercise in logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s all fine and dandy when they’re shipped to Seattle but next thing ya know they’re knocking up your sweet 16 year daughter in the suburbs where you really didn’t ask for this....I’ve seen it a hundred times.
They'll do much worse than knock up a suburban WASP slut. That's the whole point. The red states haven't been asking for this shit storm, but Seattle, Portland, LA and San Francisco have. Now they have to admit their NIMBY hypocrisy or welcome the illegals with open arms.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CitadelGrad wrote:
kalm wrote:
It’s all fine and dandy when they’re shipped to Seattle but next thing ya know they’re knocking up your sweet 16 year daughter in the suburbs where you really didn’t ask for this....I’ve seen it a hundred times.
They'll do much worse than knock up a suburban WASP slut. That's the whole point. The red states haven't been asking for this shit storm, but Seattle, Portland, LA and San Francisco have. Now they have to admit their NIMBY hypocrisy or welcome the illegals with open arms.
1). It was a Tommy Boy reference.

2). Seattle et al are not states...although there’s also a stated rights component.

3). Unless they’re incarcerated, neighboring cities who didn’t ask for it are effected.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by SDHornet »

Illegals should absolutely be transported to sanctuary cities. :nod:

Funny seeing leftist outcry against this move, after all this was the point of sanctuary cities, no? :lol:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
These people are being paroled into the country anyway, to await hearings they never show up for.
Actually they show up for their hearings in the majority of instances. And they have a particularly high "show up" rate when they are asylum seekers. I saw a guy on one of the shows...don't remember which one...the other day saying that asylum seekers show up for their hearings more than 90 percent of the time.

The Politifact assessment at https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/s ... rt-data-s/ appears to be consistent with that assessment. Scroll down to the part about asylum seekers.

In any case, it appears pretty clear that the oft repeated claim that most illegal immigrants never show up for their hearings is false.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Bottom line: This idea of shipping illegal immigrants and/or asylum seekers to sanctuary cities is childish. It's the response of a 10 year old. The fact that many adults are saying "YEAH" to this suggests we have a problem with childish behavior in adults in this country.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

This article is a little old but the information is important:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/busi ... venue.html
In the inaugural year of the tax cuts — with economic growth accelerating and the jobless rate falling to an 18-year low — federal revenues from corporate, payroll and personal income taxes actually fell.

That’s true whether you adjust revenues and growth for inflation — or not.
This is not surprising. It's what every serious analysis I ever saw reported said would happen. But Republicans in Congress and the President looked everyone in the eye and lied to them with glittering generalities.

This is one thing that has bothered me about Republicans for years. I am not against Tax cuts per se. But I am against this thing where they claim the Reagan tax cuts improved the revenue situation and that people can have their cake and eat it too. You know, we can cut taxes and we will actually get MORE money!

It's a lie. And it's a lie that Republicans have told repeatedly.

Reagan didn't. Reagan referred to tax cuts in the context of cutting government's "allowance." But those who have come after him repeat the lie over and over again.

Tax cuts are fine. But don't tell people you're going to cut taxes and get more money under current circumstances. Yes, it is true that there is a point at which further increasing tax rates would result in lower revenue and there is a point at which taxes could be so high that cutting tax rates would increase revenue. But we are not in that realm.

Don't make flipping claiming that tax cuts won't result in less revenue than there otherwise would have been part of the argument for tax cuts.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JSO is applying reason and historical facts here.

Many of you shoukd try being less tribal. :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:This article is a little old but the information is important:

In the inaugural year of the tax cuts — with economic growth accelerating and the jobless rate falling to an 18-year low — federal revenues from corporate, payroll and personal income taxes actually fell.

This is not surprising. It's what every serious analysis I ever saw reported said would happen. But Republicans in Congress and the President looked everyone in the eye and lied to them with glittering generalities.

This is one thing that has bothered me about Republicans for years. I am not against Tax cuts per se. But I am against this thing where they claim the Reagan tax cuts improved the revenue situation and that people can have their cake and eat it too. You know, we can cut taxes and we will actually get MORE money!

Reagan didn't. Reagan referred to tax cuts in the context of cutting government's "allowance." But those who have come after him repeat the lie over and over again.

Tax cuts are fine. But don't tell people you're going to cut taxes and get more money under current circumstances. Yes, it is true that there is a point at which further increasing tax rates would result in lower revenue and there is a point at which taxes could be so high that cutting tax rates would increase revenue. But we are not in that realm.

Don't make flipping claiming that tax cuts won't result in less revenue than there otherwise would have been part of the argument for tax cuts.
It’s not a lie. It’s an assumption and any (repeat—ANY) revenue projection includes assumptions just like that. It’s entirely possible it could happen—you CAN cut taxes and generate more revenue in many cases. The lie is in insisting that it DID happen when in this calendar year it didn’t.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:

It’s not a lie. It’s an assumption and any (repeat—ANY) revenue projection includes assumptions just like that. It’s entirely possible it could happen—you CAN cut taxes and generate more revenue in many cases. The lie is in insisting that it DID happen when in this calendar year it didn’t.
No, it's a lie. There are reasonable assumptions and there are unreasonable assumptions. Republicans who did this thing knew damned well that it was highly likely that the tax cut they put through would result in less revenue than the would have been accumulated with the tax system as it was. They lied to the American People.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
No, it's a lie. There are reasonable assumptions and there are unreasonable assumptions. Republicans who did this thing knew damned well that it was highly likely that the tax cut they put through would result in less revenue than the would have been accumulated with the tax system as it was. They lied to the American People.
You're really Capn Cat or D1B, aren't you? Took over the old corpse of remains of poor St Onge's profile.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

kalm wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
1). It was a Tommy Boy reference.

2). Seattle et al are not states...although there’s also a stated rights component.

3). Unless they’re incarcerated, neighboring cities who didn’t ask for it are effected.
Didn't say they were states.

I guess the neighboring cities have a complaint with the sanctuary city, not with Trump.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

During the 8 years of the Reagan administration, the overall tax burden was lower but federal revenues rose by 96%. You see, tax rates matter far less than GDP growth. It's GDP growth that increases federal revenues.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CitadelGrad wrote:

During the 8 years of the Reagan administration, the overall tax burden was lower but federal revenues rose by 96%. You see, tax rates matter far less than GDP growth. It's GDP growth that increases federal revenues.
The rate of growth in revenue during the Reagan years was lower than it was during the Carter years. That's bears upon the fallacy of the Reagan tax cuts thing. Yes, revenues typically grow as the population grows and GDP grows. The question is if something like Reagan's tax cuts slows or increases the rate of revenue increase. And Reagan's tax cuts were associated with the rate SLOWING.

I don't think you did it intentionally but I think what you did is part of the big lie with respect to the effect of Reagan's tax cuts on revenues. Yes, revenues increased under Reagan. But the rate of increase slowed. All indications are that the country got LESS revenue than it would have gotten if the Reagan tax cuts would never have happened.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
The rate of growth in revenue during the Reagan years was lower than it was during the Carter years. That's bears upon the fallacy of the Reagan tax cuts thing. Yes, revenues typically grow as the population grows and GDP grows. The question is if something like Reagan's tax cuts slows or increases the rate of revenue increase. And Reagan's tax cuts were associated with the rate SLOWING.

I don't think you did it intentionally but I think what you did is part of the big lie with respect to the effect of Reagan's tax cuts on revenues. Yes, revenues increased under Reagan. But the rate of increase slowed. All indications are that the country got LESS revenue than it would have gotten if the Reagan tax cuts would never have happened.
John, you're assuming the full impact of the tax cuts occurs during the terms of the POTUS who signed the bill. The impact IS NOT immediate. I would argue that it took nearly a decade for the full impact of Reagan's tax cuts to be felt and the POTUS at the time was Slick Willy. How was GDP and the economy doing during Slick Willy's presidency?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Actually they show up for their hearings in the majority of instances. And they have a particularly high "show up" rate when they are asylum seekers. I saw a guy on one of the shows...don't remember which one...the other day saying that asylum seekers show up for their hearings more than 90 percent of the time.

The Politifact assessment at https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/s ... rt-data-s/ appears to be consistent with that assessment. Scroll down to the part about asylum seekers.

In any case, it appears pretty clear that the oft repeated claim that most illegal immigrants never show up for their hearings is false.
Completely wrong, John.

Politifact’s data comes from one extrapolation and it is uninformed and ignorant. You cannot use their formula because a removal order in absentia is not issued in most no show cases (another way our immigration system is broken)

I process INA ineligibilities on aliens under deport orders- and did so in El Salvador. Paroled aliens unlawfully present do not show up for their immigration proceedings almost monolithically.

The ones who do have reason to believe they will not be deported ... because they may feel they have a legitimate asylum claim, eligibility for TPS, whatever. But the vast majority do not go to court because they will be deported.

Politifact is wrong and so are you.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Since JSO is getting pounded again for pimping weak economic info, here is a link to a graph on gdp vs the fed rate. Interesting:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=cN69
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote:
houndawg wrote:
They're going to wind up where the work is so it doesn't really matter where they come in. I'd be thrilled with a one-for-one exchange with the local white trash.
Starting with you. :coffee:
:(

Man, you're really hurting my feelings. I'm going to be an emotional wreck for weeks now. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

houndawg wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Starting with you. :coffee:
:(

Man, you're really hurting my feelings. I'm going to be an emotional wreck for weeks now. :ohno:
You’re as sensitive as a god-damn toilet seat. — J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:

Sorry, but you are full of shit. Those who make the argument that revenue growth under Carter was greater than Reagan either a) measure revenue as a percentage of GDP or b) don't adjust for inflation.

In the case of a), GDP was much lower under Carter except for the recession of '81 - '82. Naturally, by that measure revenues and revenues growth were higher.

In the case of b), inflation under Carter was significantly higher than during the Reagan years. Unless you adjust for inflation (real $), you will get a distortion.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
You might be a smart guy in your field, but you should leave math and economics alone. You’re full retard in those areas and you’ve proven it time and time again on this board.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CitadelGrad wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Sorry, but you are full of shit. Those who make the argument that revenue growth under Carter was greater than Reagan either a) measure revenue as a percentage of GDP or b) don't adjust for inflation.

In the case of a), GDP was much lower under Carter except for the recession of '81 - '82. Naturally, by that measure revenues and revenues growth were higher.

In the case of b), inflation under Carter was significantly higher than during the Reagan years. Unless you adjust for inflation (real $), you will get a distortion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... c75e0b7e36
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

John, you're assuming the full impact of the tax cuts occurs during the terms of the POTUS who signed the bill. The impact IS NOT immediate. I would argue that it took nearly a decade for the full impact of Reagan's tax cuts to be felt and the POTUS at the time was Slick Willy. How was GDP and the economy doing during Slick Willy's presidency?
So we have the GWB tax cuts to thank now for our increased revenues?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
Sorry, but you are full of ****. Those who make the argument that revenue growth under Carter was greater than Reagan either a) measure revenue as a percentage of GDP or b) don't adjust for inflation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... c75e0b7e36

Fact Checker gives Paul 3 Pinocchios. Cato Institute gives Fact Checker 3 Pinocchios. It’s a wash. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
So we have the GWB tax cuts to thank now for our increased revenues?
Dubya's tax cuts, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. It's not a simple one-to-one relationship and the impact isn't immediate no matter how hard JSO believes in it.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:I like Trump's idea and hope he follows through with it.

Most of the illegal immigrants I know are awesome and productive members of the community.
What's the advantage of being here illegally? :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17