Kentucky Derby 2019

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Who will win the Derby?

Poll ended at Sat May 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Omaha Beach - 4-1
33%
Game Winner - 5-1
No votes
Roadster - 6-1
No votes
Improbable - 6-1
33%
Maximum Security - 10-1
No votes
Tacitus - 10-1
33%
Code of Honor - 15-1
No votes
Win Win Win - 15-1
No votes
War of Will - 20-1
No votes
Tax - 20-1
No votes
By My Standards - 20-1
No votes
Vekoma - 20-1
No votes
Plus Que Parfait - 30-1
No votes
Cutting Humor - 30-1
No votes
Haikal - 30-1
No votes

Total votes: 3

ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Kentucky Derby 2019

Post by ASUG8 »

Who will win it? Had to cut the poll off at the top 15, but here are the remaining entrants:

Long Range Toddy - 30-1
Spinoff - 30-1
Country House - 30-1
Gray Magician - 50-1
Master Fencer - 50-1
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Kentucky Derby 2019

Post by 93henfan »

Omaha Beach was just scratched with an entrapped epiglottis -- a breathing obstruction that compromises a horse's ability to breathe during exercise.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I'll go:

Win - Code of Honor
Place - Improbable
Show - Tacitus
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Potential for a soup bowl at Churchill Downs. Heavy storms expected at 5pm and 75% chance of steady rain at post time: 6:50pm.

Hopefully these horses' mothers were mudders.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

If I'd seen it in time I'd have gone with Maximum Security.

One prediction I'll make is that whoever wins will not beat the record 1:59.40 time for the race set by Secretariat way back in 1973. Especially since the track is wet.

I guess sooner or later some horse will break at least ONE of the three Triple Crown race records still held by Secretariat. It'll be kind of a sad day.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

I'm going with Tacitus - winner of the Tampa Bay Derby.

Secretariat's records may never be broken. Over time, bloodlines have become more muddied and race times, on average, have gotten a little slower.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Oh wow, I didn't realize the trainer for Maximum Security is the brother of the trainer for my favorite horse ever, Smarty Jones. I gotta pull for Maximum Security.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Rut roh. Race under objection.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:Rut roh. Race under objection.
Yeah and it's a shame it happened because Maximum Security was very impressive. At the front from the start then near the end he had plenty left to pull away. He was going to win with or without that stuff happening.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Result overturned. Wow.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

That sucks. I'm not saying it's the wrong call because I don't even know the rules well enough to judge. But it sucks because Maximum Security was clearly the best horse on this day. What happened did not change who crossed the finish line first. I think there was a possible Triple Crown horse out there and now that's out the window because he drifted out of a lane.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

guy beside me at the track had 7/20 and 20/7 exacta tickets. Fucker was Pissed OFF when they totally DQ’ed #7 instead of just dropping him to 2nd. He’d have won $1000 on a $2 ticket if they hadn’t touched anything.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:guy beside me at the track had 7/20 and 20/7 exacta tickets. Fucker was Pissed OFF when they totally DQ’ed #7 instead of just dropping him to 2nd. He’d have won $1000 on a $2 ticket if they hadn’t touched anything.
That was brutal. As they were saying on the telecast, in any other non-Triple Crown-on the line race, Maximum Security gets DQ'ed. In the Kentucky Motherfucking Derby though, you let it slide.

Alas, when they showed a woman stewart looking at the video screens, I knew the DQ was coming. They just don't get it. That's kind of the problem with the whole world at the moment. We have a bunch of non-leaders with horrible situational awareness and no innate judgement skill in positions of power due to a catch-up mandate and they are fucking up every fabric of our society. /rant
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:guy beside me at the track had 7/20 and 20/7 exacta tickets. **** was Pissed OFF when they totally DQ’ed #7 instead of just dropping him to 2nd. He’d have won $1000 on a $2 ticket if they hadn’t touched anything.
That was brutal. As they were saying on the telecast, in any other non-Triple Crown-on the line race, Maximum Security gets DQ'ed. In the Kentucky Motherfucking Derby though, you let it slide.

Alas, when they showed a woman stewart looking at the video screens, I knew the DQ was coming. They just don't get it. That's kind of the problem with the whole world at the moment. We have a bunch of non-leaders with horrible situational awareness and no innate judgement skill in positions of power due to a catch-up mandate and they are **** up every fabric of our society. /rant
Well, I think that if it's true that what happened would've disqualified the horse in any other race it was right to disqualify him. But it's a real shame. To me it's like a guy catches an 80 yard touchdown pass on the last play to win the Super Bowl but then on the replay one sees that he spiked the ball before he crossed the goal line. What happened made NO difference in which horse won the race. Maximum Security was clearly the best horse on this day. Pretty much led from start to finish and was pulling away at the finish.

One thing that's sad if true is that one thing I've heard is that it could have been the result of crowd noise. Just an awful outcome even if it was decided according to the rules.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

What a joke. Whatever happened to ‘rubbins racin’?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

The problem about saying if it was just like any other race during the week is that this wasn't just like any other race during the week. This was the Kentucky Derby, the crown jewel in American Horse Racing (I'd be alright with people saying the Breeder's Cup is, but that's for real horse racing afficiandos, for the average joe is the Triple Crown races). The guys from Maximum Security are right, this isn't a regular race. When do you see 20 horses on the track at once? The Derby does enlarge the field because they do want to maximize profits. The thing is, the more horses out there, the more potential there is for contact and obstruction.

Turning it over on a DQ is just bad for the Derby. Maximum Security, the best horse in the field, probably won't run another Triple Crown race so you've lost that. The horse who did win was probably the least impacted, if at all, from the issue that resulted in the DQ. So that guy lodging a complaint does look like sour grapes. No one is rooting for that horse to win the Preakness so now you have people rooting against a Triple Crown. Awesome. Now you're a little bit like golf where you have a guy in his living room watching on hi def and he sees the ball fluttering during a practice stroke and he's on the phone with the tournament and the golfer gets DQ'd. Blind adherence to the rules, no matter what, is almost never a good thing.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Blind adherence to the rules, no matter what, is almost never a good thing.
:suspicious: They're rules.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Blind adherence to the rules, no matter what, is almost never a good thing.
:suspicious: They're rules.
And probably due for a pruning as well. Lots of rules out there - doesn't mean they can't change if they don't make a lot of sense.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

You misspelled Kentuky
:thumb:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I believe in being consistent in the application of the rules. It's like sometimes I see people say that if it's the final minute of a NBA championship game you should "let them play" and not make a foul call you would not make under "ordinary" circumstances. No. You should be consistent regardless of the situation.

It's like when I hear people say officials should not have called a penalty because the officials shouldn't affect the game. No. If the officials change the way they call things based on situations they are affecting the game.

If it's the rule it's the rule. You don't apply or fail to apply it situationally.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:I believe in being consistent in the application of the rules. It's like sometimes I see people say that if it's the final minute of a NBA championship game you should "let them play" and not make a foul call you would not make under "ordinary" circumstances. No. You should be consistent regardless of the situation.

It's like when I hear people say officials should not have called a penalty because the officials shouldn't affect the game. No. If the officials change the way they call things based on situations they are affecting the game.

If it's the rule it's the rule. You don't apply or fail to apply it situationally.
Agreed. There should never be any subjectivity anywhere. Ever. Should be outlawed. AmIrite???
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: :suspicious: They're rules.
And probably due for a pruning as well. Lots of rules out there - doesn't mean they can't change if they don't make a lot of sense.
But you have to change them first. Rules are rules until they are no longer rules.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

The voice of Canterbury Park was on the radio Sunday morning. He explained it well, that they got it right. He was pleased with the decision, as the race was real close to a disaster for the horses. It's better to take time a review what happened and get it right, instead of a cluster fvck like the final four with Virginia and the double-dribble.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:instead of a cluster fvck like the final four with Virginia and the double-dribble.
That nobody besides Z saw in live time. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:instead of a cluster fvck like the final four with Virginia and the double-dribble.
That nobody besides Z saw in live time. :coffee:
Everyone but the announcers, a ref, and hockey fans. :lol: