Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Chinese Trade Negotiations

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
On Jan. 23, 2009 when Obama took office.....the Dow stood at 8077. When he left office it was 19827 on Jan.20, 2017. That's +11750 (+168%).

When Trump took office on Jan.20, 2017 the Dow stood at 19827. It now stands at 25967. That's +6140 (+31%)

You must be one of those horrible emotional investors if you didn't get higher returns from 2009-2017. :thumb:

:coffee:
Where’s JSO?

He usually vets numbers and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not numbers in this case. In my opinion it is and always has been the positions to two governments are in along with the fact that US consumers have become accustomed to cheap Chinese goods.

I saw a female talking head say something about it the other day. I can't remember it exactly but it was basically that China thinks in terms of centuries and millenia while the US thinks in terms of days and months.

There's also the fact that China's government doesn't have to worry about being overturned during elections. They can take short term perturbations.

I continue to think Trump will lose on this matter. I think that if Trump thinks he has the advantage in this he could not be more wrong. We'll see.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Where’s JSO?

He usually vets numbers and stuff

It's not numbers in this case. In my opinion it is and always has been the positions to two governments are in along with the fact that US consumers have become accustomed to cheap Chinese goods.

I saw a female talking head say something about it the other day. I can't remember it exactly but it was basically that China thinks in terms of centuries and millenia while the US thinks in terms of days and months.

There's also the fact that China's government doesn't have to worry about being overturned during elections. They can take short term perturbations.

I continue to think Trump will lose on this matter. I think that if Trump thinks he has the advantage in this he could not be more wrong. We'll see.
Perturbations? Like a 500% tariff on eggrolls and cheap appliances?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Chinese Trade Negotiations

Post by mainejeff »

SeattleGriz wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
You must be one of those people that puts all of their money in cash when someone you don't like is running things. Pathetic.

By putting it all in cash, you mean letting the financial advisor run your 401, then yes, I am guilty.

Twice the man, twice the return.
You need to fire your financial advisor.

Go Black Bears!
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

mainejeff wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote: Nope. Obama 7.5% Trump 15%
Twice as good and twice the man.
You must be one of those people that puts all of their money in cash when someone you don't like is running things. Pathetic.

Using Obama logic, the Muslim was reaping the benefits of Bushs economy

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:I enjoy seeing people who criticized Trump for trashing the TPP also criticizing him about trade negotiations with China

TPP - we lose no matter what

Trade negotiations with China (with tariff lever) - maybe we lose

I'm OK with putting tariffs on the Chinese, it doesn't have much impact on me, but getting tough with your banker....? Good luck with that...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Chinese Trade Negotiations

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Not as well as it is now.
On Jan. 23, 2009 when Obama took office.....the Dow stood at 8077. When he left office it was 19827 on Jan.20, 2017. That's +11750 (+168%).

When Trump took office on Jan.20, 2017 the Dow stood at 19827. It now stands at 25967. That's +6140 (+31%)

You must be one of those horrible emotional investors if you didn't get higher returns from 2009-2017. :thumb:

145%, not 168%.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

145%, not 168%.
You need to fire yourself.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

145%, not 168%.
Good catch. It also helps to understand that the gain from 2009 to 2017 averages out to an approximately 11.88% increase per year for Obama. The average annual increase for Trump over his first 2.25 years was approximately 12.67%. The numbers tell a different story when you look at them on an annual rather than total basis.

The numbers probably aren't nearly as close if you use election day as the starting point since the market dropped nearly 20% between Obama's election and inauguration and it went up approximately 8% for Trump.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Another $200 Billion tax increase being passed on to U.S. consumers by the Republican Donald J. Trump. :ohno:

#Sad.

Go Black Bears!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

What about Trump's Asian tour in November of 2017? Seems he was setting up trade with all the countries near China. It's like he expected the Chinese to pull their crap.

4D chess.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

If this was a Dem President instead of a Republican "negotiating" with China.....you guys would be flipping out. :thumb:

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Glub Glub.

Go Black Bears!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
145%, not 168%.
You need to fire yourself.

I fire 6.93% of myself every day. :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
145%, not 168%.
Good catch. It also helps to understand that the gain from 2009 to 2017 averages out to an approximately 11.88% increase per year for Obama. The average annual increase for Trump over his first 2.25 years was approximately 12.67%. The numbers tell a different story when you look at them on an annual rather than total basis.

The numbers probably aren't nearly as close if you use election day as the starting point since the market dropped nearly 20% between Obama's election and inauguration and it went up approximately 8% for Trump.
Uhhh….145%/8 years = 18.125%/ year.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Chinese Trade Negotiations

Post by UNI88 »

mainejeff wrote:If this was a Dem President instead of a Republican "negotiating" with China.....you guys would be flipping out. :thumb:

True but the reverse is also true for you and others if it were a Democrat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

Compounding.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Compounding.

:lol: :lol: :thumb:
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Chinese Trade War

Post by mainejeff »

#Winning.

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

mainejeff wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Not as well as it is now.

Guess that this will have to be re-calculated.

Go Black Bears!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

mainejeff wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

So Trump's annual average return isn't beating Obama's average annual return by quite as much?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

Right. Because it NEVER went down during Oblowma’s presidency, right? :dunce:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Re: Chinese Trade War

Post by JohnStOnge »

Heard a British Ambassador to China talking about it today on NPR. Her take included the idea that the Chinese political system is such that they can play the long game in a way US politicians cannot. Nevertheless, she was optimistic about things working out.

All other things aside, we have a complete idiot leading the US side. I think what's going to happen is that at some point Trump is going to claim victory when nothing really changed then periodically lie as necessary to reinforce the impression he hopes to create.

The well known true story about Trump having construction workers move dirt around on a development site ot make it look to investors like progress was being made when it really wasn't captures Trump in a nutshell. It's what he does. Con man to the core.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Chinese Trade War

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote:Heard a British Ambassador to China talking about it today on NPR. Her take included the idea that the Chinese political system is such that they can play the long game in a way US politicians cannot. Nevertheless, she was optimistic about things working out.

All other things aside, we have a complete idiot leading the US side. I think what's going to happen is that at some point Trump is going to claim victory when nothing really changed then periodically lie as necessary to reinforce the impression he hopes to create.

The well known true story about Trump having construction workers move dirt around on a development site ot make it look to investors like progress was being made when it really wasn't captures Trump in a nutshell. It's what he does. Con man to the core.
Did you not pay attention to what Trump's team has been doing? They've been looking at this and preparing long before they started. Knew China was going to pull this and started negotiations with S Korea, Vietnam and a couple others in Nov, 2017 about replacing China as the supplier.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Heard a British Ambassador to China talking about it today on NPR. Her take included the idea that the Chinese political system is such that they can play the long game in a way US politicians cannot. Nevertheless, she was optimistic about things working out.

And if the trade war ends with favorable Chinese concessions you’ll be sure to say it didn’t happen

It’s ironic, you calling Trump predictable.... accusing him of having a regular MO

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:

And if the trade war ends with favorable Chinese concessions you’ll be sure to say it didn’t happen

It'll be hard to tell if that happens because you go on knowing Trump is going to claim things went well whether they did or not.

If the "mainstream media" say the trade war ends with favorable Chinese concessions I will believe it. I will not believe it based on Trump and/or his administration saying it.
Could I ever be a star?