DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions

DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Yes, for sure
27%
Yes, IF there is state funding
13%
Yes, IF there is corperate naming rights
3%
Yes, BUT not in the next 10 years
20%
No, it wont get built. Why?
37%

Total votes: 30

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Post by dbackjon »

clenz wrote:Based on the news this week the answer is fuck no

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
What news?
:thumb:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/m ... bhmM-FBoM8

Eastern Washington University athletic director Lynn Hickey said last month that a proposal for an upgraded football stadium would be presented to the school’s Board of Trustees on Friday.

Beautiful renderings of a revamped Roos Field would be shown, she said, as well as the privately funded project’s price tag.

“I think everyone will be really pleased with what we’ll show publicly on May 10,” Hickey said in April 15 interview with The Spokesman-Review.

That didn’t happen.

On Friday, Hickey and Eastern Washington athletics administrators presented department-wide budget plans and updates, and discussed the Eagle Athletic Fund, the fundraising arm of EWU’s athletics that is up a reported 150 donors since 2018.

“I know that people are anxiously waiting for renderings and the cost to enhance the stadium,” Hickey said in the public board meeting at EWU. “But at this time we feel we need to continue to work with the architects to further review the scope of the project.

“We have done a lot of good work with (Spokane design firm) ALSC and have a really good foundation for a plan. But there have been variables that have changed, so additional review of our plan is necessary.”

Among those variables, Hickey said, is the financial climate of EWU and local school districts, forcing new Roos Field proponents to “reimagine the project.”

The university has restructured programs and cut positions to get out of a $3.6 million hole.

EWU’s athletic department is deeper in the red, chipping away at a $5 million debt.

Hickey’s goal is to present renderings and a business plan to the board in October, she said.

The Board of Trustees announced at the public meeting that an eight-member task force will conduct a comprehensive study of the stadium’s renovation project, examining EWU’s athletic fundraising history, determining fundraising potential and building a timeline for enhancement of athletic facilities, and identifying potential donors, according to the school.

“The board understands it has the fiduciary responsibility, and is required by state law, to oversee all operations of the university in a fiscally responsible fashion,” Eastern Washington board chairman Uriel Iñiguez said.

Hickey, who is spearheading the movement for a revamped stadium, adamantly voiced Roos Field’s shortcomings to the board.

“The last time there were any improvements to the stadium were in 2004, and the locker room hasn’t been touched in 20 years,” she said. “So it’s time to address one of the most visible structures on our campus, the largest gathering place for Eagles – that’s not Lake Coeur d’Alene, that’s Roos Field.”

EWU, a Big Sky Conference football power that reached the FCS national title game last season, has been passed by other programs in the conference when it comes to facilities, Hickey said: “The needs for a stadium facelift are legitimate and they must be addressed in a timely manner.”

EWU’s last push for an improved football stadium failed before Hickey’s arrival in 2018.

The Gateway Project, a $65 million mixed-use project that was proposed in 2012 with impressive artist renderings, never got off the ground.

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Im shocked............

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Thanks Chad
:thumb:
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Now I am outraged

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

You hating sack of dog shit! I know Northern Iowa sucks monkey ass & their dome will NEVER be impressive, but really Clenz? Your EWU jealousy is obvious, thanks for keeping us up to date on the latest EWU FB news, you brain dead, meth smoking redneck. :coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Now I am outraged
We get it BetaGizz, relax with the sarcasm. Don’t get beside yourself, it’s not like Montana has done anything (or won anything) in that 24k seat, lopsided, incest nest you guys call WaGriz! Portland State has your stadium beat anyway.

EWU is still the Big Dick in the Big Sky! GoEags! :coffee:
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Montana and EWU are proof that you can have dogshit facilities and be good and have good facilities and be dogshit. EWU should give up on these stupid ass pipedreams and continue to enjoy winning at Moneyball.

And being the Big Dick in the Big Sky still means you're taking NDSU's big dick. Nice job with that. :coffee:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Silenoz wrote:Montana and EWU are proof that you can have dogshit facilities and be good and have good facilities and be dogshit. EWU should give up on these stupid ass pipedreams and continue to enjoy winning at Moneyball.

And being the Big Dick in the Big Sky still means you're taking NDSU's big dick. Nice job with that. :coffee:
And BOTH Montana schools take EWU’s dick Bucko! You Montana Gizz Bandwagon Homos were sitting in your trailer park praying EWU would lose in Frisco. :lol: BTW it’s been 6 seasons since UM has won the Big Sky title! The glory days are over for you inbred sob’s!
GoEags!
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

BlackFalkin wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Now I am outraged
We get it BetaGizz, relax with the sarcasm. Don’t get beside yourself, it’s not like Montana has done anything (or won anything) in that 24k seat, lopsided, incest nest you guys call WaGriz! Portland State has your stadium beat anyway.

EWE dumb ass hillbilly F U C K. You post a pic of a soccer stadium that psu rarely gets to use, doesn't own and you are pissing proud. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: RE: Re: DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Post by clenz »

BlackFalkin wrote:

You hating sack of dog shit! I know Northern Iowa sucks monkey ass & their dome will NEVER be impressive, but really Clenz? Your EWU jealousy is obvious, thanks for keeping us up to date on the latest EWU FB news, you brain dead, meth smoking redneck. :coffee:
Got em.

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

BlackFalkin wrote:
Silenoz wrote:Montana and EWU are proof that you can have dogshit facilities and be good and have good facilities and be dogshit. EWU should give up on these stupid ass pipedreams and continue to enjoy winning at Moneyball.

And BOTH Montana schools take EWU’s dick Bucko! You Montana Gizz Bandwagon Homos were sitting in your trailer park praying EWU would lose in Frisco. :lol: BTW it’s been 6 seasons since UM has won the Big Sky title! The glory days are over for you inbred sob’s!
GoEags!

I was actually at the game in Frisco. And I wasnt hoping you would lose, it was a FUCKING FACT you were going to.

Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

BlackFalkin wrote:

GoEags!
Remember that time you clowns actually thought you were gonna build all of those facilities? Haha, good times!
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Meth sales are way down now.......Thanks Trump

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Silenoz wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:
GoEags!
Remember that time you clowns actually thought you were gonna build all of those facilities? Haha, good times!

Remember that time you clowns actually thought bringing back Bobby Hauck was going to going to save you and bring back the glory days, but it only brought back the glory-hole days? Remember that time you clowns actually thought Beau Baldwin leaving for Cal was going to destroy the Eastern Washington Dynasty but Coach Best took the Eags right back to Frisco? :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BlackFalkin wrote:
Silenoz wrote:

Remember that time you clowns actually thought bringing back Bobby Hauck was going to going to save you and bring back the glory days, but it only brought back the glory-hole days? Remember that time you clowns actually thought Beau Baldwin leaving for Cal was going to destroy the Eastern Washington Dynasty but Coach Best took the Eags right back to Frisco? :coffee:
.........and BF rises from the ashes of Frisco, Texas.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

polsongrizz wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:

EWE dumb ass hillbilly F U C K. You post a pic of a soccer stadium that psu rarely gets to use, doesn't own and you are pissing proud. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rarely? I don't think they're scheduled to play a single game there in 2019 and I get the feeling they've given up on the location.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

clenz wrote:http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/m ... bhmM-FBoM8

Eastern Washington University athletic director Lynn Hickey said last month that a proposal for an upgraded football stadium would be presented to the school’s Board of Trustees on Friday.

Beautiful renderings of a revamped Roos Field would be shown, she said, as well as the privately funded project’s price tag.

“I think everyone will be really pleased with what we’ll show publicly on May 10,” Hickey said in April 15 interview with The Spokesman-Review.

That didn’t happen.

On Friday, Hickey and Eastern Washington athletics administrators presented department-wide budget plans and updates, and discussed the Eagle Athletic Fund, the fundraising arm of EWU’s athletics that is up a reported 150 donors since 2018.

“I know that people are anxiously waiting for renderings and the cost to enhance the stadium,” Hickey said in the public board meeting at EWU. “But at this time we feel we need to continue to work with the architects to further review the scope of the project.

“We have done a lot of good work with (Spokane design firm) ALSC and have a really good foundation for a plan. But there have been variables that have changed, so additional review of our plan is necessary.”

Among those variables, Hickey said, is the financial climate of EWU and local school districts, forcing new Roos Field proponents to “reimagine the project.”

The university has restructured programs and cut positions to get out of a $3.6 million hole.

EWU’s athletic department is deeper in the red, chipping away at a $5 million debt.

Hickey’s goal is to present renderings and a business plan to the board in October, she said.

The Board of Trustees announced at the public meeting that an eight-member task force will conduct a comprehensive study of the stadium’s renovation project, examining EWU’s athletic fundraising history, determining fundraising potential and building a timeline for enhancement of athletic facilities, and identifying potential donors, according to the school.

“The board understands it has the fiduciary responsibility, and is required by state law, to oversee all operations of the university in a fiscally responsible fashion,” Eastern Washington board chairman Uriel Iñiguez said.

Hickey, who is spearheading the movement for a revamped stadium, adamantly voiced Roos Field’s shortcomings to the board.

“The last time there were any improvements to the stadium were in 2004, and the locker room hasn’t been touched in 20 years,” she said. “So it’s time to address one of the most visible structures on our campus, the largest gathering place for Eagles – that’s not Lake Coeur d’Alene, that’s Roos Field.”

EWU, a Big Sky Conference football power that reached the FCS national title game last season, has been passed by other programs in the conference when it comes to facilities, Hickey said: “The needs for a stadium facelift are legitimate and they must be addressed in a timely manner.”

EWU’s last push for an improved football stadium failed before Hickey’s arrival in 2018.

The Gateway Project, a $65 million mixed-use project that was proposed in 2012 with impressive artist renderings, never got off the ground.

I'm pretty sure the BoT didn't show the interest last time with Gateway so forming a task force that includes board members is an improvement.

The major obstacles remain:

Zero funding can come from the state. All funding must come from private donations and/or student fees.

EWU is still primarily a teachers and social workers school with a large number of alumni in the Spokane area but without much disposable income. Universities with law schools, engineering schools, etc have more well healed donors.

Some fans look to Wazzu's Martin Stadium improvements and wonder 'why not us'? But most of those dollars came from the PAC 12 TV contract, alleged stolen sponsorship contracts from Palouse Ridge Golf Course, and oh yeah...a huge athletics budget shortfall (just like us) that is still being dealt with.

The finance people at EWU are allegedly risk averse to a point that makes Cameron Frye look like a free -wheeler. I'm sure the state has knuckled down further as well. Not much vision or appreciation or interest in considering the economic impact of stadium improvements to the City of Cheney and partnering with developers to push ahead. That's unfortunate as the model is just down the road in Spokane with Gonzaga. The GU district was old and run down not that long ago and is now teaming with cool urban commercial spaces and housing. Cheney is continuing to grow and part of that momentum could be carried by support of and continued success of a kick ass football program that even at it's current level has a significant economic impact during home games.

As a donor and a fan, I've learned to keep my expectations low and I'm content with the current product. An improved stadium to go along with a program that's brought me 17 home playoff games in the last 9 years in a beautiful setting with kick ass tailgating and a commanding view of the Northern Palouse would simply be icing on the cake. Especially if the Griz can continue to at least once in awhile make it over for a playoff beating. :finger:

I like those guys. :thumb:
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

UNI88 wrote:
polsongrizz wrote: EWE dumb ass hillbilly F U C K. You post a pic of a soccer stadium that psu rarely gets to use, doesn't own and you are pissing proud. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rarely? I don't think they're scheduled to play a single game there in 2019 and I get the feeling they've given up on the location.

I stand corrected. :notworthy: I thought they had one game there but they more than likely have non as you mentioned. :thumb:
But yeah, this impotent meth head has zero clue just how udderly, :nod: , sad he really is. I would guess this fuck still lives with his mommy.
The SIMPLE FACT is, this is where ewu still plays, PERIOD. A glorified high school field. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

kalm wrote:
As a donor and a fan, I've learned to keep my expectations low and I'm content with the current product. An improved stadium to go along with a program that's brought me 17 home playoff games in the last 9 years in a beautiful setting with kick ass tailgating and a commanding view of the Northern Palouse would simply be icing on the cake. Especially if the Griz can continue to at least once in awhile make it over for a playoff beating. :finger:

I find it odd that you folks never mention that you still need ELEVEN more season wins just to tie us. That is just over a decade golf boy. :D Yeah you know football like every sport is one of those up and down things. But ewe fools over there in West Spokane just can't seem to figure that out. :coffee: :lol: :mrgreen:
I think that great red tampon boondoggle still has you fools pissing down your leg. :thumb:
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:
Got em.

:lol: :clap: :notworthy:

Good thing I voted the "no" option all those years ago. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

polsongrizz wrote:
kalm wrote:

I find it odd that you folks never mention that you still need ELEVEN more season wins just to tie us. That is just over a decade golf boy. :D Yeah you know football like every sport is one of those up and down things. But ewe fools over there in West Spokane just can't seem to figure that out. :coffee: :lol: :mrgreen:
I think that great red tampon boondoggle still has you fools pissing down your leg. :thumb:
When stadium smack doesn't work, fall back to ancient history smack? :ohno: Now you're just sounding like a Cat fan with their 3 championships. You just went full Cat. You never go full Cat. :kisswink:

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

UNbearable!

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Post by UNI88 »

polsongrizz wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Rarely? I don't think they're scheduled to play a single game there in 2019 and I get the feeling they've given up on the location.

I stand corrected. :notworthy: I thought they had one game there but they more than likely have non as you mentioned. :thumb:
But yeah, this impotent meth head has zero clue just how udderly, :nod: , sad he really is. I would guess this **** still lives with his mommy.
The SIMPLE FACT is, this is where ewu still plays, PERIOD. A glorified high school field. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I may be crazy but I actually like that field. The red is distinctive and original. It probably helps recruiting a little.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
polsongrizz wrote: I stand corrected. :notworthy: I thought they had one game there but they more than likely have non as you mentioned. :thumb:
But yeah, this impotent meth head has zero clue just how udderly, :nod: , sad he really is. I would guess this **** still lives with his mommy.
I may be crazy but I actually like that field. The red is distinctive and original. It probably helps recruiting a little.

It's helped recruiting a ton. :nod: