Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Political discussions
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by mainejeff »

UNI88 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
Nope. It's easier to get people to hate than it is to overhaul our entire economy.

:coffee:
Stalin (and Mao) were even better than Hitler at hate and destruction. And they didn't overhaul economies they decimated them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I'm more worried about the douche in the White House. :thumb:

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by mainejeff »

Baldy wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
Nope. It's easier to get people to hate than it is to overhaul our entire economy.

...and the Left is so full of hate right now. It's a shame, really.
mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.
:ohno:
Conks are full of hate 24/7.....365 days/year......always. We've got a lot of catching up to do after 8 years of Clinton hate and 8 years of Obama hate. :thumb:

Go Black Bears!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by SeattleGriz »

mainejeff wrote:
Baldy wrote: ...and the Left is so full of hate right now. It's a shame, really.

Conks are full of hate 24/7.....365 days/year......always. We've got a lot of catching up to do after 8 years of Clinton hate and 8 years of Obama hate. :thumb:

Man are you paranoid!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

SeattleGriz wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

Man are you paranoid!
Nope....not paranoid at all. I trust our government when it is not run by a crazy narcissist billionaire with no soul or moral compass.

Go Black Bears!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

mainejeff wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Man are you paranoid!
Nope....not paranoid at all. I trust our government when it is not run by a crazy narcissist billionaire with no soul or moral compass.

Clinton had quite the moral compass when it came to deregulating the banking system and incarcerating harmless weed smokers and super predators. :coffee:

And both he and Obama kissed the ring of the House of Saud. :coffee: :coffee:

Oh...and how many soul less and morally corrupt banksters did Obama and Holder prosecute? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by SeattleGriz »

mainejeff wrote:

Exactly, paranoid.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff wrote:Conks are full of hate 24/7.....365 days/year......always. We've got a lot of catching up to do after 8 years of Clinton hate and 8 years of Obama hate. :thumb:

You're doing your damnedest. But you've been full of hate for as long as you've been posting here. :coffee:
css75
Level3
Level3

Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by css75 »

mainejeff wrote:

God bless you Jeff, have a great day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by kalm »

css75 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

I get why someone would vote for Trump but can you honestly argue with any of these accusations in Jeff’s post?

(Except maybe the billionaire part).
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

mainejeff wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Stalin (and Mao) were even better than Hitler at hate and destruction. And they didn't overhaul economies they decimated them.

I'm more worried about the douche in the White House. :thumb:

She lost get over it loser. :coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
css75 wrote:

I get why someone would vote for Trump but can you honestly argue with any of these accusations in Jeff’s post?

(Except maybe the billionaire part).
No. I don't know if he's a billionaire but Trump is a crazy narcissist with no soul or moral compass.

And people voted for Trump because the same could be said about Hillary and in all likelihood about the 2020 candidate.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

The thing is that the Electoral College doesn't even really help smaller States THAT much numerically. The top 15 States have 54 percent (288) of the Electoral Votes. The real issue is the way it renders the votes of "dissenters" in the States that are not swing states meaningless. One of the main arguments I've heard for the Electoral College is that it was supposed to keep candidates from focusing on relatively few States. But the way things have evolved that is exactly what has happened. The campaigns identify and focus on the "swing states." This past election there were 12 or 13 of those. Those were the only States in which voters had reason to go to the polls thinking that their votes mattered.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:The thing is that the Electoral College doesn't even really help smaller States THAT much numerically. The top 15 States have 54 percent (288) of the Electoral Votes. The real issue is the way it renders the votes of "dissenters" in the States that are not swing states meaningless. One of the main arguments I've heard for the Electoral College is that it was supposed to keep candidates from focusing on relatively few States. But the way things have evolved that is exactly what has happened. The campaigns identify and focus on the "swing states." This past election there were 12 or 13 of those. Those were the only States in which voters had reason to go to the polls thinking that their votes mattered.
No vote is meaningless, just means they are not sheeple. No way in hell am I voting for an idiot like Trump or an idiot like Hillary. Fix the nomination process and get some real leaders on the ballot.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

mainejeff wrote:
Baldy wrote: ...and the Left is so full of hate right now. It's a shame, really.

You sound just like a writer for the New York Times or a member of the Donk leadership in Congress.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Gil Dobie wrote:Image
My god.....I thought that was Lindsey Graham at first glance. Seriously. :o

Go Black Bears!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote:
No vote is meaningless, .
Not true. Take your State of North Dakota. It was so certain that the Republican would win the State and its 3 electoral votes that weren't even any polls listed for it in the final RealClearPolitics electoral college map display.

If it's a national popular vote every vote matters. If someone voted for Clinton in North Dakota it wouldn't matter that Trump won that particular State over Clinton by 64.1 to 27.8 percent. Someone could go to the polls wanting to vote for Clinton and felt like their vote mattered. The reality is that such is not the case under the current system unless one lives in one of the "swing" states for any particular Presidential election year.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Not true. Take your State of North Dakota. It was so certain that the Republican would win the State and its 3 electoral votes that weren't even any polls listed for it in the final RealClearPolitics electoral college map display.

If it's a national popular vote every vote matters. If someone voted for Clinton in North Dakota it wouldn't matter that Trump won that particular State over Clinton by 64.1 to 27.8 percent. Someone could go to the polls wanting to vote for Clinton and felt like their vote mattered. The reality is that such is not the case under the current system unless one lives in one of the "swing" states for any particular Presidential election year.
Your argument is how you get a Malaysia or a Thailand-

Wealthy population centers surrounded by rural land in poverty

And political power being centered in metro areas, those places benefit from ALL the government largesse, in infrastructure and services .... which leads to more migration into the metro areas

Thailand’s countryside is basically decamping to the city - because city dwellers have all the political clout and don’t give a rat’s ass about rice farmers

The Electoral College is a key to decentralization of power and a bulwark against the tyranny of the majority. It serves the same purpose as the Senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

No vote is meaningless. I couldn't in a clear conscience vote for trump or clinton. I still feel good about my vote.

I live in Minnesota too, by the way.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Are you being purposely obtuse or are you really this dense?

It is not, nor has it ever been a NATIONAL POPULAR VOTE election. It is 50 SEPARATE STATE elections. A national popular vote election would be mob rule. Sounds great until the mob disagrees with you.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

CID1990 wrote:
The Electoral College is a key to decentralization of power and a bulwark against the tyranny of the majority. It serves the same purpose as the Senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you SURE you want to make that comparison right now with the current Senate? :roll:

I think that the Electoral College screwed us all. The "tyrannical majority" had it right this time. :nod: :thumb:

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

It is not, nor has it ever been a NATIONAL POPULAR VOTE election. It is 50 SEPARATE STATE elections. A national popular vote election would be mob rule. Sounds great until the mob disagrees with you.
Right now we have a minority "mob". :nod: :nod: :nod:

Go Black Bears!
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

mainejeff wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

As opposed to a California-ocracy.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Pwns wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

As opposed to a California-ocracy.
Ah yes.....the big bad California boogeyman. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I've lived in California....and the South (Tennessee).....and Boston....and Maine. Guess which one gets it right more than the others. ;)

Anyway.....nice deflection but yeah......we've got a minority mob ruling right now.

Go Black Bears!
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Rural Americans are serfs to the current system, especially with "winner-take-all" states (which is most).

The EC should be thrown away, but if we're insistent on keeping it, it needs reform There should be a proportional amount of electors to the population consistent throughout the US (1 rep per X amount of people), and states shouldn't be "winner-take-all." If a state has 6 electoral votes, 3 which went to Dems, 2 which went to Cons, and 1 which went to Green...all 6 should not go to the Dems. It should be divided as the population voted.

Additionally, if you want to keep true to the original intention of the EC, we should be voting for the electors during the Presidential elections, who then in turn choose the President with no penalty for their choice.

Or you know, just abolish the system and do what free societies do: one person, one vote.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Tue May 28, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.