kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Free Assange

Post by kalm »

The indictment of Assange is a blueprint for making journalists into felons
The First Amendment is meaningless if it only protects people the government recognizes as journalists.

By Glenn Greenwald

The argument offered by both the Trump administration and by some members of the self-styled “resistance” to Trump is, ironically, the same: that Assange isn’t a journalist at all and thus deserves no free press protections. But this claim overlooks the indictment’s real danger and, worse, displays a wholesale ignorance of the First Amendment. Press freedoms belong to everyone, not to a select, privileged group of citizens called “journalists.” Empowering prosecutors to decide who does or doesn’t deserve press protections would restrict “freedom of the press” to a small, cloistered priesthood of privileged citizens designated by the government as “journalists.” The First Amendment was written to avoid precisely that danger.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... c6c8246978
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Free Assange

Post by GannonFan »

So everybody's a journalist then?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

And Trump does nothing. Worst Putin Puppet ever.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

This whole thing is barking up the wrong tree.

Assange shouldn’t be answerable to our government anyway. The crime that was committed was done by Bradley Manning and he should be in prison for the rest of his natural life. Assange should not be subject to the jurisdiction of the USG
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Next thing you know, you’ll be saying “Free Snowden.” :roll:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:Next thing you know, you’ll be saying “Free Snowden.” :roll:
It's amazing how trustworthy government becomes for conservatives when it's supporting their politics.

:nod:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Next thing you know, you’ll be saying “Free Snowden.” :roll:
It's amazing how trustworthy government becomes for conservatives when it's supporting their politics.

So you actually think Snowden is a patriot. No accounting for some people. Carry on.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:

So you actually think Snowden is a patriot. No accounting for some people. Carry on.
I didn't say that and I don't know. I do know our government does some secretive and illegal shit and that transparency and whistle blowing can be necessary and good things. People shouldn't fear their governments, governments should fear their people.

Unlike you apparently. Carry on.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

GannonFan wrote:So everybody's a journalist then?
maybe in the same sense that everyone's a militia member?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

catbooster wrote:
GannonFan wrote:So everybody's a journalist then?
maybe in the same sense that everyone's a militia member?
Or everyone is their own religion. No taxes for anyone! :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: So you actually think Snowden is a patriot. No accounting for some people. Carry on.
I didn't say that and I don't know. I do know our government does some secretive and illegal shit and that transparency and whistle blowing can be necessary and good things. People shouldn't fear their governments, governments should fear their people.

Unlike you apparently. Carry on.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

2nd Amendment Bro! :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

GannonFan wrote:
catbooster wrote: maybe in the same sense that everyone's a militia member?
Or everyone is their own religion. No taxes for anyone! :coffee:

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

He's a hacker. Kill him.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:

It’s too bad klam’s heroes are 99.9% traitor and 0.01% whistleblower

Manning isn’t even that .... nothing he exposed was of of any “whistleblower” value

This subject is klam’s JSO moment - you just have to continually remind him that his heroes had other options that didn’t involve exposing sources and methods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

JohnStOnge wrote:He's a hacker. Kill him.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: So you actually think Snowden is a patriot. No accounting for some people. Carry on.

Manning isn’t even that .... nothing he exposed was of of any “whistleblower” value

This subject is klam’s JSO moment - you just have to continually remind him that his heroes had other options that didn’t involve exposing sources and methods

I got more JSO moments than Picasso got paint....statist.

:dance:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Nope.

Take it to your Congresscritter. We've been through this before in agonizing detail, John
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

Nope.

Take it to your Congresscritter. We've been through this before in agonizing detail, John
Take what to my congresscritter? I really don’t care all that much and I’m certainly not interested enough to write my rep. Good god, man, it’s just a political discussion. It’s not as if we’re talking the failures of Reaganomics here. :lol:

Besides, she’s just a convenient statist conk like you.

:ohno:

:lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Nope.

Take what to my congresscritter? I really don’t care all that much and I’m certainly not interested enough to write my rep. Good god, man, it’s just a political discussion. It’s not as if we’re talking the failures of Reaganomics here. :lol:

Yeah look at who’s suddenly using labels.

I’m all for whistleblowing on government shenanigans

Show me a whistleblower and I’ll agree with you

:dunce:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

And look who suddenly takes issue with hyperbolic name calling and has stooped to emojis. :lol:

I'll admit to questioning the sunlight on the fogs of war argument to a degree. Most of us at least have a cursory understanding that bad shit happens. In this case, it's complicated especially with the Iraq video because that was a war of choice.

And don't forget, the NYT and Der Spiegel were also conspirators.

Manning is a whistleblower whether you care to admit it or not. You just don't like the foul.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

And look who suddenly takes issue with hyperbolic name calling and has stooped to emojis. :lol:

I'll admit to questioning the sunlight on the fogs of war argument to a degree. Most of us at least have a cursory understanding that bad **** happens. In this case, it's complicated especially with the Iraq video because that was a war of choice.

Manning is a whistleblower whether you care to admit it or not. You just don't like the foul.
Who cares what Der Spiegel or the NYT do? They aren’t under any obligations to nit report leaks.

Manning didn’t expose wrongdoing. In fact, the airstrike videos weren’t even classified, and they are not what got Manning charged. So your one example of “whistleblowing” wasn’t even what he got in hot water for. You may share his odd thought processes and think he was a whistleblower but that’s is your opinion- one not shared by very many sane people.

The only person convicted of a crime as a result of Manning’s actions was Manning. Nobody involved in those airstrikes was brought under any kind of disciplinary or criminal process, because there was no criminal activity, no war crimes, nothing. I guess he was blowing a whistle that only you can hear.

He leaked classified cables from all over the world - literally from every Embassy we own. What whistles were being blown there, exactly?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

I'll admit to questioning the sunlight on the fogs of war argument to a degree. Most of us at least have a cursory understanding that bad **** happens. In this case, it's complicated especially with the Iraq video because that was a war of choice.

Who cares what Der Spiegel or the NYT do? They aren’t under any obligations to nit report leaks.

Manning didn’t expose wrongdoing. In fact, the airstrike videos weren’t even classified, and they are not what got Manning charged. So your one example of “whistleblowing” wasn’t even what he got in hot water for. You may share his odd thought processes and think he was a whistleblower but that’s is your opinion- one not shared by very many sane people.

The only person convicted of a crime as a result of Manning’s actions was Manning. Nobody involved in those airstrikes was brought under any kind of disciplinary or criminal process, because there was no criminal activity, no war crimes, nothing. I guess he was blowing a whistle that only you can hear.

He leaked classified cables from all over the world - literally from every Embassy we own. What whistles were being blown there, exactly?

:blah:

Reason Magazine writers have referred to Manning as a whistleblower among many others. And then there’s the whole global view of shedding light on the secrets of wars of choice, propaganda, domestic spying, etc that governments do.

I don’t dismiss your views out of hand Cidney. I respect them deeply because of your experience and well-reasoned approach to things. But this one ain’t as cut and dry as you make it.

Still friends?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

:blah:

Reason Magazine writers have referred to Manning as a whistleblower among many others. And then there’s the whole global view of shedding light on the secrets of wars of choice, propaganda, domestic spying, etc that governments do.

I don’t dismiss your views out of hand Cidney. I respect them deeply because of your experience and well-reasoned approach to things. But this one ain’t as cut and dry as you make it.

Still friends?

I see

We needed Manning to tell us that elective wars of choice are a bad idea. Gosh, maybe if he’d have just given all his stuff to some Dem Senator on the SFRC he wouldn’t have been in hot water

Hell, if not for ol Bradley we might still be in Iraq and Afghanistan

But Reason said so so he must be a whistleblower

BTW this week we had a detrimental reminder of a contact in Thailand who was exposed for a certain crime that is particular only to Thailand ...... as a direct result of Bradley Manning releasing a quarter million State Dept cables. He exposed THOUSANDS of sources in some pretty nasty places. I understand why you punted on this one

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

We should eliminate anyone involved in hacking when we identify them.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:We should eliminate anyone involved in hacking when we identify them.
Starting with China? Or is that unwinnable and therefore we should just leave them alone?