Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by CID1990 »

mainejeff wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
The Electoral College is a key to decentralization of power and a bulwark against the tyranny of the majority. It serves the same purpose as the Senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you SURE you want to make that comparison right now with the current Senate? :roll:

I think that the Electoral College screwed us all. The "tyrannical majority" had it right this time. :nod: :thumb:

:coffee:
Yes. The Senate is operating exactly as designed

Clitz said it before and he is right... there are more red states than blue states and the Senate is reflective of that

There are more blue Congressional districts than there are red and the House is reflective of that

Things are as they should be. Don’t go blaming the system when it is the juveniles at the switch

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Rural Americans are serfs to the current system, especially with "winner-take-all" states (which is most).

The EC should be thrown away, but if we're insistent on keeping it, it needs reform There should be a proportional amount of electors to the population consistent throughout the US (1 rep per X amount of people), and states shouldn't be "winner-take-all." If a state has 6 electoral votes, 3 which went to Dems, 2 which went to Cons, and 1 which went to Green...all 6 should not go to the Dems. It should be divided as the population voted.

Additionally, if you want to keep true to the original intention of the EC, we should be voting for the electors during the Presidential elections, who then in turn choose the President with no penalty for their choice.

Or you know, just abolish the system and do what free societies do: one person, one vote.
Fortunately, the states get to decide if they are winner take all or not.

Most states won’t agree with you.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

In a way I hope that Trump does win a second term. He will drive the economy into the ground which will inflict much more damage on the Republican Party than anything he could ever do or say.

Yup.....my main concern now is too destroy the Republican Party. I'm just gonna play your game now. :nod:

Go Black Bears!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

mainejeff wrote:In a way I hope that Trump does win a second term. He will drive the economy into the ground which will inflict much more damage on the Republican Party than anything he could ever do or say.

Yup.....my main concern now is too destroy the Republican Party. I'm just gonna play your game now. :nod:

* to
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Rural Americans are serfs to the current system, especially with "winner-take-all" states (which is most).

The EC should be thrown away, but if we're insistent on keeping it, it needs reform There should be a proportional amount of electors to the population consistent throughout the US (1 rep per X amount of people), and states shouldn't be "winner-take-all." If a state has 6 electoral votes, 3 which went to Dems, 2 which went to Cons, and 1 which went to Green...all 6 should not go to the Dems. It should be divided as the population voted.

Additionally, if you want to keep true to the original intention of the EC, we should be voting for the electors during the Presidential elections, who then in turn choose the President with no penalty for their choice.

Or you know, just abolish the system and do what free societies do: one person, one vote.
Man. Watching you donks show your true colors is very revealing. They're called STATES RIGHTS for a reason. The state has the right to establish and elect their electors in whatever way THEY see fit. And some grand centralized government doesn't get to dictate that to them.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

mainejeff wrote:In a way I hope that Trump does win a second term. He will drive the economy into the ground which will inflict much more damage on the Republican Party than anything he could ever do or say.

Yeah, Trump is driving the economy into the ground. How has Trump affected you personally? Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

With it's archaic social platform, it won't be many years before the Republican party either dissipates or changes direction.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

phpBB [video]
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by Ibanez »

mainejeff wrote:
Baldy wrote: ...and the Left is so full of hate right now. It's a shame, really.

:ohno:
Conks are full of hate 24/7.....365 days/year......always. We've got a lot of catching up to do after 8 years of Clinton hate and 8 years of Obama hate. :thumb:

Yeah, there wasn't any Bush Hate.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

css75 wrote:

Yeah, Trump is driving the economy into the ground. How has Trump affected you personally? Just curious.

One could argue that the economy is an extension of Obama's policies. What has Trump done, actually done, for the economy? Trade wars? Tax cut for the wealthy?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:
css75 wrote:

One could argue that the economy is an extension of Obama's policies. What has Trump done, actually done, for the economy? Trade wars? Tax cut for the wealthy?
Now you sound like JSO. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Ibanez wrote:
css75 wrote:

Though I usually disagree with your posts, they are usually well thought out. This one is an exception.

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you SURE you want to make that comparison right now with the current Senate? :roll:

I think that the Electoral College screwed us all. The "tyrannical majority" had it right this time. :nod: :thumb:

Yes. The Senate is operating exactly as designed

Clitz said it before and he is right... there are more red states than blue states and the Senate is reflective of that

There are more blue Congressional districts than there are red and the House is reflective of that

Things are as they should be. Don’t go blaming the system when it is the juveniles at the switch
Yup...
The House represents population and the Senate represents geography

:nod:

It all works out
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

css75 wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Though I usually disagree with your posts, they are usually well thought out. This one is an exception.

:lol: :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

css75 wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Why can't someone argue that the reason the economy is doing well is because of something a previous administration has done. Isn't that what is said about the 1990s? That Clinton was enjoying the benefits of Reagan policies? It often takes years for the effects of policies, legislation, initiatives, etc... to be felt and measured. I'm not saying that business don't like a Trump administration, but i'm not sure as to how much credit belongs to Obama/Biden vs Trump?pence. :twocents:
Last edited by Ibanez on Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
That hurt me deep, Tom. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
That hurt me deep, Tom. :lol:
Well don't say stupid shit then, bro. :tothehand: :tothehand:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: That hurt me deep, Tom. :lol:
Well don't say stupid shit then, bro. :tothehand: :tothehand:
:lol: Fair enough, bro.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
css75 wrote:

Why can't someone argue that the reason the economy is doing well is because of something a previous administration has done. Isn't that what is said about the 1990s? That Clinton was enjoying the benefits of Reagan policies? It often takes years for the effects of policies, legislation, initiatives, etc... to be felt and measured. I'm not saying that business don't like a Trump administration, but i'm not sure as to how much credit belongs to Obama/Biden vs Trump?pence. :twocents:
Because we all know tax cuts on the rich, military expansion and increased spending, coupled with deregulation always lead to perpetual growth. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
css75 wrote:

Well, who's to say then that the current boom we're in isn't really due ultimately to George W and his TARP response to the '08 recession? Where are his kudos?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Why can't someone argue that the reason the economy is doing well is because of something a previous administration has done. Isn't that what is said about the 1990s? That Clinton was enjoying the benefits of Reagan policies? It often takes years for the effects of policies, legislation, initiatives, etc... to be felt and measured. I'm not saying that business don't like a Trump administration, but i'm not sure as to how much credit belongs to Obama/Biden vs Trump?pence. :twocents:
Because we all know tax cuts on the rich, military expansion and increased spending, coupled with deregulation always lead to perpetual growth. :lol:
So much hate for Reagan. :ohno:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
So much hate for Reagan. :ohno:

:notworthy:

Hey, I noticed the first lady is now holding hands with the President

Which leads many insiders to contemplate what her new contract must look like
her old contract was less than a million a year
It's got to be + millions now (she is cleaning up)

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
Conks are full of hate 24/7.....365 days/year......always. We've got a lot of catching up to do after 8 years of Clinton hate and 8 years of Obama hate. :thumb:

Yeah, there wasn't any Bush Hate.
Indeed. W was, as far as I remember, the first President to be habitually compared with Hitler and the Nazis. It's something we can all chuckle about now in the Trump era, but protestors really thought W was right up there with the most evil of dictators.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Why can't someone argue that the reason the economy is doing well is because of something a previous administration has done. Isn't that what is said about the 1990s? That Clinton was enjoying the benefits of Reagan policies? It often takes years for the effects of policies, legislation, initiatives, etc... to be felt and measured. I'm not saying that business don't like a Trump administration, but i'm not sure as to how much credit belongs to Obama/Biden vs Trump?pence. :twocents:
Well, who's to say then that the current boom we're in isn't really due ultimately to George W and his TARP response to the '08 recession? Where are his kudos?
Good point. I think ultimately we give props to King George.

Maybe

mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Yeah, there wasn't any Bush Hate.
Indeed. W was, as far as I remember, the first President to be habitually compared with Hitler and the Nazis. It's something we can all chuckle about now in the Trump era, but protestors really thought W was right up there with the most evil of dictators.
I thought that Cheney was the evil one.....Dubya was just dumb.

Go Black Bears!