mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Mexican Tariffs

Post by mainejeff »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... rants-stop

I think that it might be time to pull some money out of the market.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by 93henfan »

This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

Trump's game is getting tired.

And conflating immigration with trade is asinine.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

93henfan wrote:This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.
I disagree with you. For Trump....it's time to burn Rome. He....just...doesn't...fucking...care.

I don't know why some of you guys don't get that....or care. And I get that a lot of you hate government....hate playing by the rules....hate the fact that you can't do whatever whenever wherever you want. But we have a whole big world to deal with out there.....there are no elections for Trump to win outside of this country. The world is giving Trump the finger....and Trump is giving us the finger.

Go Black Bears!
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

mainejeff wrote:
93henfan wrote:This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

I disagree with you. For Trump....it's time to burn Rome. He....just...doesn't...fucking...care.

I don't know why some of you guys don't get that....or care. And I get that a lot of you hate government....hate playing by the rules....hate the fact that you can't do whatever whenever wherever you want. But we have a whole big world to deal with out there.....there are no elections for Trump to win outside of this country. The world is giving Trump the finger....and Trump is giving us the finger.

This ^ would imply President Trump has an actual "plan"
There is no evidence that supports the argument that the Trump administration has a plan

He seems to just bounce around knee jerking and chest bumping
based entirely on what "just happened"
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Chizzang wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

There is no evidence that supports the argument that the Trump administration has a plan

Don't sell him short. He's an idea guy. Idea guys are visionary and have no time for planning.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Trump won't let the market tank - or will do everything in his power to not let it - as the economy chugging along is his #1 sell for re-election.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Meh, Trump already threatened to tariff Mexico then backed down. Not sure why anyone else is expecting anything different here.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
I disagree with you. For Trump....it's time to burn Rome. He....just...doesn't...****...care.

:+1:

The whack-a-mole President: hit ‘em as they pop up, and if you miss, aim at the next one.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by UNI88 »

Rare earths are where China has some serious leverage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:

True - we have them but we won’t mine them (because of highly toxic processes)

Better for China to wreck their own ecology

In about 100 years when China needs lebensraum because much of their country is unlivable they’ll come knocking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

bluehenbillk wrote:Trump won't let the market tank - or will do everything in his power to not let it - as the economy chugging along is his #1 sell for re-election.
Trump is an idiot. I agree that the economy, which is good right now but not good because of him, is his #1 selling point. But he has no clue about anything other than scamming. He has no idea as to what he is doing and I long for the day when his cultists shake off the cobwebs and realize that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:Trump won't let the market tank - or will do everything in his power to not let it - as the economy chugging along is his #1 sell for re-election.
Trump is an idiot. I agree that the economy, which is good right now but not good because of him, is his #1 selling point. But he has no clue about anything other than scamming. He has no idea as to what he is doing and I long for the day when his cultists shake off the cobwebs and realize that.
John deep seated bias confirmation is not easy to just "shake off"

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

I agree with John that Trump is a scammer (charlatan & snake oil salesman) but John is a prime example of deep seated bias confirmation because he hates him so much he can't give him credit for anything positive.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

I agree with John that Trump is a scammer (charlatan & snake oil salesman) but John is a prime example of deep seated bias confirmation because he hates him so much he can't give him credit for anything positive.

So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?
Chizzy and Kalm like to defend John and his "integrity" because he's an alleged conservative that doesn't support Trump so I like to highlight the irony.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a whole lot of confirmation bias on part of Trump supporters, there is. The far right and far left are really two sides of the same coin.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote:
SDHornet wrote: So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?
Chizzy and Kalm like to defend John and his "integrity" because he's an alleged conservative that doesn't support Trump so I like to highlight the irony.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a whole lot of confirmation bias on part of Trump supporters, there is. The far right and far left are really two sides of the same coin.

:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

In about 100 years when China needs lebensraum because much of their country is unlivable they’ll come knocking

We don't mine the rare earths because of toxicity and expense. We could find ways to do it with less toxicity (I don't know how much less) but it would be too expensive. That could change with the tariffs.

Afghanistan and the central Asia could become more valuable. It will be interesting to see how the US and other countries move forward.

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

We don't mine the rare earths because of toxicity and expense. We could find ways to do it with less toxicity (I don't know how much less) but it would be too expensive. That could change with the tariffs.

Afghanistan and the central Asia could become more valuable. It will be interesting to see how the US and other countries move forward.

Clitz will tell you that our war in Afghanistan was to secure rare earths.

Or maybe that was klam I get them confused sometimes

But China cornered the market (and the rights) on rare metals in Afghanistan early on - you can consider that part of the world as effectively being China at this stage of the game

We will either have to mine them ourselves or knuckle under to our Chinese overlords... there really is no middle ground

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
SDHornet wrote: So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?

JSO was one of my favorite posters before Trump even ran. He’s honest, well reasoned and makes me think...whether I agree with him or not.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

But China cornered the market (and the rights) on rare metals in Afghanistan early on - you can consider that part of the world as effectively being China at this stage of the game

We will either have to mine them ourselves or knuckle under to our Chinese overlords... there really is no middle ground

So we really are there because, freedom!

(Btw, I think the rare earth stuff was mostly HD. )
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Chizzy and Kalm like to defend John and his "integrity" because he's an alleged conservative that doesn't support Trump so I like to highlight the irony.

JSO was one of my favorite posters before Trump even ran. He’s honest, well reasoned and makes me think...whether I agree with him or not.
You need to take a closer look at JSO's posts since Trump became a legitimate candidate. An honest and well-reasoned poster would be able to give credit to the good things that Trump has accomplished. JSO is completely incapable of doing so. Is a poster that is so obviously biased really honest and well-reasoned?

And I agree with JSO that Trump is a dishonest buffoon and charlatan. But I also believe that the last 2+ years have been better under Trump than they probably would have been under Hillary. Trump had degraded our Republic because he's a petty and vindictive egomaniac. Hillary would have intentionally degraded our Republic with malice and foresight to expand her power and enrich her friends. I can't even have a debate with JSO about that because he is unable to consider the possibility that someone could be worse than Trump.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

That might have been Houndy.

Question - which Afghan government made the agreement with the Chinese and is the current government really bound by it?

I think rare earths are going to be discovered in other locations in the next 10-20 years. It's a question of whether we can make it that long and then whether we can secure the rights to them.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Not so. I think the court appointments are, on balance, positive.

All I'm saying is that when it come to the economy it really is a situation where, if one just looks at the measures people have historically looked at without knowing who was President when, one would not say that it looks like something happened around the end of 2016 and/or the beginning of 2017 to change the basic nature of the way things were going.

There really is not sufficient evidence to say, by any reasonable standard, that the economy is better than it would otherwise be thanks to Trump.

And I've got to say that even the court appointments thing is qualified by the fact that the Senate has exercised SOME discretion. Trump has appointed people who were clearly not qualified and the Senate to some extent has weeded them out.

This is not bias, confirmation or otherwise. It's just the truth.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

That might have been Houndy.

Question - which Afghan government made the agreement with the Chinese and is the current government really bound by it?

I think rare earths are going to be discovered in other locations in the next 10-20 years. It's a question of whether we can make it that long and then whether we can secure the rights to them.
I’ll just say that China covers all their bases.

As in Africa, China will be hegemon in central Asia.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

Not so. I think the court appointments are, on balance, positive.

All I'm saying is that when it come to the economy it really is a situation where, if one just looks at the measures people have historically looked at without knowing who was President when, one would not say that it looks like something happened around the end of 2016 and/or the beginning of 2017 to change the basic nature of the way things were going.

There really is not sufficient evidence to say, by any reasonable standard, that the economy is better than it would otherwise be thanks to Trump.

And I've got to say that even the court appointments thing is qualified by the fact that the Senate has exercised SOME discretion. Trump has appointed people who were clearly not qualified and the Senate to some extent has weeded them out.

This is not bias, confirmation or otherwise. It's just the truth.
John, who said that "something happened around the end of 2016 and/or the beginning of 2017 to change the basic nature of the way things were going"? Please go back and read AZ's or my (or others') posts and show that we're arguing that the economy improved under Trump. When you can't find one, please address the argument that we are making rather than moving the goalposts to a position allows you to feel like you're winning the argument.