2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by BDKJMU »

I don't follow F1, but knew of Lauda. Heard of the movie, will have to watch. I remember seeing an episode of Air Disasters on the Lauda Air crash in 1991, which was the 1st total fatal crash of a 767. All 223 onboard died. Crash was due to a Boeing design flaw that caused the uncommanded inflight deployment of a the #1 engine thrust reverser, along with inadequate flight testing, and flight crew simulator training that yielded erroneous results of such an in flight occurrence.
phpBB [video]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004
In Depth with Graham Bensinger did a whole series of interviews with Lauda. On Youtube are a couple doz clips between 1/2 min and 12 min. One was on the crash. Lauda recounted in the interview basically how Boeing was pushing for a delay in releasing the results of the investigation because they were more interested in CYA. Lauda said that the crash and the period after was the worst time in his life. Lauda Air ceased operations & merged with Austrian Airlines in 2013..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

90% chance of mid-race rain at Monaco. Tire strategy will be key.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Rain holds off. Hamilton gets out-strategied on tires, but helluva drive by Hamilton, wearing a sweet-ass Niki Lauda helmet. Holds off Verstappen, who was beating all over him, for the last 15 laps.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I know what 93 is doing today! This is a pretty exciting race....much more exciting than NASCAR.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:I know what 93 is doing today! This is a pretty exciting race....much more exciting than NASCAR.
I'm at the beach right now, watching my sons play in the waves.

F1, the only series I intently follow, raced this morning, and I don't care about Indy or NASCAR so won't be watching any of those.
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

93henfan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:I know what 93 is doing today! This is a pretty exciting race....much more exciting than NASCAR.

F1, the only series I intently follow, raced this morning, and I don't care about Indy or NASCAR so won't be watching any of those.
As it should be. We go to a fair amount of dirt track racing. Started the year out hitting up World of Outlaws in Vegas and then a race in Ca along with the Winter Nationals in Pomona.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

polsongrizz wrote:
93henfan wrote:

As it should be. We go to a fair amount of dirt track racing. Started the year out hitting up World of Outlaws in Vegas and then a race in Ca along with the Winter Nationals in Pomona.
:notworthy: Love sprints. We got the World of Outlaws to come to Delmar, DE once. The URC Sprints come annually. The local schedule is the typical dirt modifieds and late models.
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

93henfan wrote:
polsongrizz wrote: As it should be. We go to a fair amount of dirt track racing. Started the year out hitting up World of Outlaws in Vegas and then a race in Ca along with the Winter Nationals in Pomona.
:notworthy: Love sprints. We got the World of Outlaws to come to Delmar, DE once. The URC Sprints come annually. The local schedule is the typical dirt modifieds and late models.
Still better than most racing.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Shite. Hamilton tags the wall in FP2 at Canada. They should be able to get it fixed up for qualifying. The Germans are pretty smart.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:Shite. Hamilton tags the wall in FP2 at Canada. They should be able to get it fixed up for qualifying. The Germans are pretty smart.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
93henfan wrote:Shite. Hamilton tags the wall in FP2 at Canada. They should be able to get it fixed up for qualifying. The Germans are pretty smart.
:lol:

Uppity
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I've missed the last few F1 races. I've been meaning to go back and watch the replay's but have not gotten around to it yet. :x
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote:I've missed the last few F1 races. I've been meaning to go back and watch the replay's but have not gotten around to it yet. :x
A lot of domination by MB-AMG, aided by some real choke artistry from Ferrari.

That being said, Ferrari is faster in Canada, particularly in the third sector (i.e. straightaway speed). Vettel (and Ferrari) got his first pole of the season.

Should be a really good race tomorrow. Hamilton is surrounded by red. Could be a hair-raising start. Then if they make it through the first few turns unscathed, can Hamilton catch Vettel. Looking forward to the action.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:
SDHornet wrote:I've missed the last few F1 races. I've been meaning to go back and watch the replay's but have not gotten around to it yet. :x
A lot of domination by MB-AMG, aided by some real choke artistry from Ferrari.

That being said, Ferrari is faster in Canada, particularly in the third sector (i.e. straightaway speed). Vettel (and Ferrari) got his first pole of the season.

Should be a really good race tomorrow. Hamilton is surrounded by red. Could be a hair-raising start. Then if they make it through the first few turns unscathed, can Hamilton catch Vettel. Looking forward to the action.
Hamilton wins on a 5 second penalty to Vettel. Thoughts?

IMO don't run your car into the grass and there won't be a penalty. Hamilton makes the pass on a wider track.

:lol: @ Magnusson bitching about having a shitting car after slamming his car into the wall during Q2. Total bitchboi move.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Hamilton wins on a 5 second penalty to Vettel. Thoughts?

IMO don't run your car into the grass and there won't be a penalty. Hamilton makes the pass on a wider track.

:lol: @ Magnusson bitching about having a shitting car after slamming his car into the wall during Q2. Total bitchboi move.
Really unfortunate penalty on Vettel. Nobody, even me (a Hamilton fan), wants to see Hamilton win on a stewards decision. By the letter of the law, they made the right call. By the spirit of it, it really comes down to if Vettel had enough control as he slid off of the grass onto the asphalt to maintain the inside line. I don't think he did, so I think the decision was a little harsh, but only he really knows. Even then, if he could have held the inside, Hamilton would have passed him and possibly won anyway. It was funny seeing Vettel move the #2 placard in front of Hamilton's car.

I loved hearing Gunther Steiner come on the radio and tell Magnusson to STFU.

Here was the Vettel cutoff of Hamilton for those who missed it:
phpBB [video]
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Hamilton wins on a 5 second penalty to Vettel. Thoughts?

Really unfortunate penalty on Vettel. Nobody, even me (a Hamilton fan), wants to see Hamilton win on a stewards decision. By the letter of the law, they made the right call. By the spirit of it, it really comes down to if Vettel had enough control as he slid off of the grass onto the asphalt to maintain the inside line. I don't think he did, so I think the decision was a little harsh, but only he really knows. Even then, if he could have held the inside, Hamilton would have passed him and possibly won anyway. It was funny seeing Vettel move the #2 placard in front of Hamilton's car.

I loved hearing Gunther Steiner come on the radio and tell Magnusson to STFU.

Here was the Vettel cutoff of Hamilton for those who missed it:
phpBB [video]
I agree he didn't have control after coming out of the grass. Tough call. Moral of the story is don't put your car int the grass to begin with. Besides, can't be having a kraut winning a big race on D-Day weekend.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

The most fair penalty would have been to have Vet yield position to Ham. Would have made for a more exciting last ten laps as well.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:The most fair penalty would have been to have Vet yield position to Ham. Would have made for a more exciting last ten laps as well.
Agreed.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Awesome Austrian Grand Prix today. 21-year old Charles Leclerc, looking for his first win, is passed by 21-year old Max Verstappen with 2 laps to go for Verstappen's 6th win in F1, and a victory for Red Bull on their home track. Dutch fans (Max is Dutch) in orange going nuts all around the venue and popping orange smoke. Great scene.

Verstappen stalled on the start and spent the whole race catching up.

Race is under steward's review, as Verstappen did bump Leclerc and force him wide. I don't think it should be a penalty, but we'll see.

Great race. Made up for the boring shit-show in France.

phpBB [video]
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

The Red Bull victory came out of nowhere. I mean they're usually good for 2-3 wins per season, but they hadn't even finished second this year (and of course Mercedes has been dominating).

Poor Ferrari, they haven't finished worse than 5th...or better than 2nd. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:Awesome Austrian Grand Prix today. 21-year old Charles Leclerc, looking for his first win, is passed by 21-year old Max Verstappen with 2 laps to go for Verstappen's 6th win in F1, and a victory for Red Bull on their home track. Dutch fans (Max is Dutch) in orange going nuts all around the venue and popping orange smoke. Great scene.

Verstappen stalled on the start and spent the whole race catching up.

Race is under steward's review, as Verstappen did bump Leclerc and force him wide. I don't think it should be a penalty, but we'll see.

Great race. Made up for the boring shit-show in France.

phpBB [video]
Verstappen had a hell of a race. Piss poor start but battled back and then took the race in the final laps. Huge win for Honda too, first F1 win since 2006 or something like that.

And :lol: at that botched Ferrari pit that cost them big.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

So I down here in FL in Saint Augustine and Daytona last Wed through Mon. In Daytona now for the Daytona race. Has been t-storms Thur evening, yesterday evening, and tonight. Qualifying was rained out and the Xfinity race delayed 2 1/2 hrs yesterday. Today was raining on and off in the afternoon through evening. At about 8:25 pm race was declared postponed until tomorrow. Its stops raining at about 9 PM, so they could have started the race about 11 pm. I get not wanting to start it that late. So tomorrow the weather forecast calls for slim chance of rain in the AM, likely early-late afternoon t-storms. So instead of rescheduling the race for 10 or 11 AM tomorrow to beat the rain, which they’ve done in the past, these idiots reschedule it for 1 pm, which the rain will likely push back until tomorrow evening. Idiots. :ohno:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Goddamn NASCAR. They could have gotten the race started at around 11 PM last night or or 11 AM today. The weather (weather.com, accuweather.com) for the worst threat of rain between 2-4 PM. 1 PM start was idiotic. Sure enough 3:15 they have to stop the race due to an approaching thunderstorm. Just like I predicted. Now gonna be here all damn evening.
Some people mentioned women’s soccer. That’s ridiculous. Different network, and most NASCAR fans don’t watch women’s soccer.

They’ve called for people to evacuated the stands due to approaching t-storm even though not raining yet. Fuck them. I’m staying right here along with thousands of other people. Still have plenty of beer.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote:Goddamn NASCAR. They could have gotten the race started at around 11 PM last night or or 11 AM today. The weather (weather.com, accuweather.com) for the worst threat of rain between 2-4 PM. 1 PM start was idiotic. Sure enough 3:15 they have to stop the race due to an approaching thunderstorm. Just like I predicted. Now gonna be here all damn evening.
Some people mentioned women’s soccer. That’s ridiculous. Different network, and most NASCAR fans don’t watch women’s soccer.

They’ve called for people to evacuated the stands due to approaching t-storm even though not raining yet. Fuck them. I’m staying right here along with thousands of other people. Still have plenty of beer.
This is why I quit NASCAR after 40+ years of attending races. It became a fucking chore. All they care about is the TV audience and how many commercials they can show.

F1: 1.5 hours, rain or shine, and then you hit the exits. Commercial-free on TV. Can't wait for SIlverstone next week. Great track.