2019 NDSU Expects 40,000 Against Butler at Target Field

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

2019 NDSU Expects 40,000 Against Butler at Target Field

Post by Gil Dobie »

Should be a fun time and will take 3.5 hours off my commute.

Link
FARGO—North Dakota State will be returning to Minneapolis to play a football game, only it won't be against the University of Minnesota this time. The Bison and Butler University will face each other at Target Field on Aug. 31, 2019.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2019 NDSU Opens Against Butler at Target Field

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Is there another football game that weekend? Surely they can't be doing this just for that game.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:Is there another football game that weekend? Surely they can't be doing this just for that game.
Bison will still have 6 home games that season. Coach said it's for exposure/recruiting in the Twin Cities, and the players getting to play in a big stadium. There is a large Bison fan base in the Twin Cities that could nearly fill the stadium, plus a wave of people from Fargo and out-state Minnesota.

Guess it's kind of an in-your-face game, being the B1G won't play FCS schools anymore.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote:Is there another football game that weekend? Surely they can't be doing this just for that game.
Bison will still have 6 home games that season. Coach said it's for exposure/recruiting in the Twin Cities, and the players getting to play in a big stadium. There is a large Bison fan base in the Twin Cities that could nearly fill the stadium, plus a wave of people from Fargo and out-state Minnesota.

Guess it's kind of an in-your-face game, being the B1G won't play FCS schools anymore.
I meant is Minny playing a game also at Target. Seems like a big venue (and expense to create) for just Bison vs Butler. I could see NDSU v UNI or something like that. Awesome if you guys can fill it for such a dud of an opponent.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:being the B1G won't play FCS schools anymore.
BTW, is that true going forward? I know Towson has games at Maryland as far as 2020 already booked.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

I meant is Minny playing a game also at Target. Seems like a big venue (and expense to create) for just Bison vs Butler. I could see NDSU v UNI or something like that. Awesome if you guys can fill it for such a dud of an opponent.
Gophers have their own stadium, TCF Bank Field, ECB, east of old Muddy. Twins Stadium is WCB, west of Old Muddy. Gophers are scheduled to play SDSU August 29th at TCF Bank Field.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:being the B1G won't play FCS schools anymore.
BTW, is that true going forward? I know Towson has games at Maryland as far as 2020 already booked.
So we hear, no new games will be scheduled.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Interesting that Georgia Southern is coming to Minnesota a few weeks later.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Got my tickets today!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote:Got my tickets today!
I thought you said you were going to move to Florida.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Got my tickets today!
I thought you said you were going to move to Florida.
A couple months in the winter, see how that goes. Can't pass up Bison football season.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: BTW, is that true going forward? I know Towson has games at Maryland as far as 2020 already booked.
That's not true - Penn St just announced a slew of games last month for the 2020s that included both villanova and Delaware (as well as Temple). I'm sure Minnesota would balk at playing NDSU but that's a different matter.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:

Has there ever been a football game there before? I can't imagine Butler travels very many fans, if any. A game against SDSU there would be impressive.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
That's not true - Penn St just announced a slew of games last month for the 2020s that included both villanova and Delaware (as well as Temple). I'm sure Minnesota would balk at playing NDSU but that's a different matter.
This policy has changed since the post was made.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Has there ever been a football game there before? I can't imagine Butler travels very many fans, if any. A game against SDSU there would be impressive.
DII St Thomas vs St John's last year, 37355 fans attended.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
DII St Thomas vs St John's last year, 37355 fans attended.
Wonder if that's a D2 record.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I'm not so sure. Back in '95, Oregon State lost a roadie at University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA. UOP was in the Big West (back when the BWC actually fielded football; current BWC members Cow Poly and the Manure Pile now park their football teams in the Big Sky), a conference that SHOULD have been FCS given the caliber of the entire conference. Heck, I'm not even sure any Big West team (short of the autobid) would have made the FCS playoffs. And UOP itself finished 3-8 that season despite beating OSU, largely because of the incredibly difficult bodybag season-opening schedule (Fresno State, Arizona, Nebraska, and Oregon all on the road and Oregon State at home). If a Pac-10 (as it was then) school can take a game like that on the road, why wouldn't Minnesota (a middle-of-the-road Big Ten at best) take a roadie at NDSU? Other than fear of a loss, that is. Heck, an NDSU win wouldn't even rate the awe of App over Michigan....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I'm not so sure. Back in '95, Oregon State lost a roadie at University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA. UOP was in the Big West (back when the BWC actually fielded football; current BWC members Cow Poly and the Manure Pile now park their football teams in the Big Sky), a conference that SHOULD have been FCS given the caliber of the entire conference. Heck, I'm not even sure any Big West team (short of the autobid) would have made the FCS playoffs. And UOP itself finished 3-8 that season despite beating OSU, largely because of the incredibly difficult bodybag season-opening schedule (Fresno State, Arizona, Nebraska, and Oregon all on the road and Oregon State at home). If a Pac-10 (as it was then) school can take a game like that on the road, why wouldn't Minnesota (a middle-of-the-road Big Ten at best) take a roadie at NDSU? Other than fear of a loss, that is. Heck, an NDSU win wouldn't even rate the awe of App over Michigan....
Butler is FCS, same division as NDSU. :nod:

NDSU plays at Oregon next year.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:

God I hope you smoke the Ducks.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

God I hope you smoke the Ducks.
Don't worry, the Griz got this.

:rofl:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gil Dobie wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:

You don't play them until 2020.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

You don't play them until 2020.
That's right, we go to Delaware next year to finish the home and home, with UC Davis and UND at home for next year, after the Butler game. It will give our Freshmen QB next year, some time to get ready for the big time.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Getting closer and looking forward to seeing the 2019 version of the Bison.
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

Why a baseball stadium?
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS