Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: FBS Championship: Alabama v Clemson

Post by GannonFan »

Eh, if anything I see being an Alabama alum having to follow Saban as something he'd want to avoid. Especially if Dabo wins another national title or two where he is right now. He arguably has a better program in place right now than Saban has at Alabama - why risk losing that just to coach at the place where you went to school? He doesn't seem to have any problem beating his former school. Maybe he has a resentment over being fired from Alabama?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:Eh, if anything I see being an Alabama alum having to follow Saban as something he'd want to avoid. Especially if Dabo wins another national title or two where he is right now. He arguably has a better program in place right now than Saban has at Alabama - why risk losing that just to coach at the place where you went to school? He doesn't seem to have any problem beating his former school. Maybe he has a resentment over being fired from Alabama?
Like I said - conventional wisdom... it gets talked about in SC quite a bit, and Dabo has always played coy about it

I think he wants to eventually coach at Alabama - maybe as his retirement gig
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Dabo gets new contract 10 year/$93 million. 9.3 million a year slightly less than Saban’s $9.44 million a year (7 year/$66 million).
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... 14494.html
VERY interesting

And good for Dabo....

Conventional wisdom is that when Saban retires, Dabo goes to Alabama. Now when it happens maybe we can have a discussion about how money has ruined college football

But football is the front porch dontchaknow... it aint about the money
Also:
Swinney’s contract also includes a buyout enhancement if he leaves to become the head coach at Alabama. His buyout is $4 million through Dec. 31, 2020; $3 million in 2021-2022; $2 million in 2023-2025; and $1 million in 2026-2027.

If Swinney leaves for Alabama, the buyout jumps to $6 million through Dec. 31, 2020; $4.5 million in 2021-2022; $3 million in 2023-2025; and $1.5 million in 2026-2027.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Why would he need to leave Clemson? He's already had better teams than 'Bama for the past few years so he's clearly able to recruit on an even plane with 'Bama, and he's getting the same amount of money. What about the move is a step up for Dabo?
GannonFan wrote:Eh, if anything I see being an Alabama alum having to follow Saban as something he'd want to avoid. Especially if Dabo wins another national title or two where he is right now. He arguably has a better program in place right now than Saban has at Alabama - why risk losing that just to coach at the place where you went to school? He doesn't seem to have any problem beating his former school. Maybe he has a resentment over being fired from Alabama?
He hasn't had better teams than Bama the past few years. He's 2-2, with each team winning 2 NCs. I wouldn't say his program is superior (or inferior), but equal right now. Its literally going back and forth between the 2 teams, with neither able to win 2 in a row.
2015 season NC: Bama 45, Clempson 40
2016 season NC: Clempson 35, Bama 31
2017 season semis: Bama 24, Clempson 6, Bama wins NC.
2018 season NC: Clempson 44, Bama 16.

2019 draft:
Bama 10 picks (tops nation),
Clempson: 6 picks (5th most)

Bama and Clempson were tied for tops in the nation 3 1st round picks each.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
VERY interesting

And good for Dabo....

Conventional wisdom is that when Saban retires, Dabo goes to Alabama. Now when it happens maybe we can have a discussion about how money has ruined college football

But football is the front porch dontchaknow... it aint about the money
Also:
Swinney’s contract also includes a buyout enhancement if he leaves to become the head coach at Alabama. His buyout is $4 million through Dec. 31, 2020; $3 million in 2021-2022; $2 million in 2023-2025; and $1 million in 2026-2027.

If Swinney leaves for Alabama, the buyout jumps to $6 million through Dec. 31, 2020; $4.5 million in 2021-2022; $3 million in 2023-2025; and $1.5 million in 2026-2027.
Yep

People at clempson know the deal and they know Saban is getting close... and its a win win for Swinney because Alabama will pay it no matter what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Why would he need to leave Clemson? He's already had better teams than 'Bama for the past few years so he's clearly able to recruit on an even plane with 'Bama, and he's getting the same amount of money. What about the move is a step up for Dabo?
He hasn't had better teams than Bama the past few years. He's 2-2, with each team winning 2 NCs. I wouldn't say his program is superior (or inferior), but equal right now. Its literally going back and forth between the 2 teams, with neither able to win 2 in a row.

2019 draft:

Nah, Clemson choked in that 2015 season title game against 'Bama - onside kick giveup and a kick return in the 4th quarter of a game they were dominating. 'Bama was only clearly the better team in that semifinals game. The tide has turned (pun intended) - Clemson is better than 'Bama right now (think Clemson is even the odds on favorite to repeat this year as well - must really be pissing Saban off).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

2019 draft:

Nah, Clemson choked in that 2015 season title game against 'Bama - onside kick giveup and a kick return in the 4th quarter of a game they were dominating. 'Bama was only clearly the better team in that semifinals game. The tide has turned (pun intended) - Clemson is better than 'Bama right now (think Clemson is even the odds on favorite to repeat this year as well - must really be pissing Saban off).
Well then you’re claim of
He's already had better teams than 'Bama for the past few years
clearly isn’t true if you acknowledge Bama was clearly the better team in the semis the season before last.

Each team won a close one 2015-2016 seasons, and each team won a lopsided one 2017-2018 seasons. Until 1 team wins 2 in a row, or finishes ahead of the other team 2 years in a row, you can’t say one is program is clearly better than the other. One year isn’t a trend.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Well then you’re claim of
He's already had better teams than 'Bama for the past few years
clearly isn’t true if you acknowledge Bama was clearly the better team in the semis the season before last.

Each team won a close one 2015-2016 seasons, and each team won a lopsided one 2017-2018 seasons. Until 1 team wins 2 in a row, or finishes ahead of the other team 2 years in a row, you can’t say one is program is clearly better than the other. One year isn’t a trend.
Dude, I'm looking at the past few years taken as a whole, not just a simple straight line. In the past 4 years, taken as a whole, Clemson has had better teams than 'Bama, and the trend looks to continue in the short term. Tough to argue against that, especially the latter part of it.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Well then you’re claim of

Dude, I'm looking at the past few years taken as a whole, not just a simple straight line. In the past 4 years, taken as a whole, Clemson has had better teams than 'Bama, and the trend looks to continue in the short term. Tough to argue against that, especially the latter part of it.
No they haven’t and that’s been proven on the field..In the past 4 years, taken as a whole, Bama (55-4), and Clempson (55-4) have each won 2 NC, and are 2-2 vs each other. You can’t get any more equal than that.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
No they haven’t and that’s been proven on the field..In the past 4 years, taken as a whole, Bama (55-4), and Clempson (55-4) have each won 2 NC, and are 2-2 vs each other. You can’t get any more equal than that.
Should've been 3-1, and the spanking last year, along with the expectation for that to continue this year, says it's not as equal as you're trying to make it out to be.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: No they haven’t and that’s been proven on the field..In the past 4 years, taken as a whole, Bama (55-4), and Clempson (55-4) have each won 2 NC, and are 2-2 vs each other. You can’t get any more equal than that.
Should've been 3-1, and the spanking last year, along with the expectation for that to continue this year, says it's not as equal as you're trying to make it out to be.
Well, ‘Should have been’ wasn’t. The facts and stats say you have 2 teams, who over the last 4 years, literally couldn’t have had more equal results. As far as the expectations for this year, Vegas has Clempson as a close favorite over Bama to repeat, while the majority of the pre season polls have Bama over Clempson.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Oh good lord

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Well, ‘Should have been’ wasn’t. The facts and stats say you have 2 teams, who over the last 4 years, literally couldn’t have had more equal results. As far as the expectations for this year, Vegas has Clempson as a close favorite over Bama to repeat, while the majority of the pre season polls have Bama over Clempson.
Clemson > Alabama. You're just a Saban lapdog. Shame on you. :rofl:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Yet the facts say over the last 4 seasons as a whole, Clempson = Bama.. :nod:

And as far as thinking Clempson is going to be better in the future, talent wise that doesn’t appear to be the case. They may not even be equal. This past draft Alabama and Clempson each had 3 1st round picks. Bama is so loaded with NFL talent for next season they have a chance to tie or break Miami’s 2002 record of 6 1st round picks.

2020 NFL Draft prospects: Big board of top 50, best players by position
It's never too early to shift the focus to the 2020 NFL Draft.
Simply put, Alabama players will dominate next year's draft. Sporting News ranked the top 50 prospects in our early big board for 2020, and 10 of those players - including the top two in quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and receiver Jerry Jeudy - play for the Crimson Tide....”
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... p73trdxde9
Clempson has 4...

2020 NFL draft: Top 50 prospects to watch
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/gallery/ ... nt-delpit/
Again 10 for Bama, 5 for Clempson..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yet the facts say over the last 4 seasons as a whole, Clempson = Bama.. :nod:

And as far as thinking Clempson is going to be better in the future, talent wise that doesn’t appear to be the case. They may not even be equal. This past draft Alabama and Clempson each had 3 1st round picks. Bama is so loaded with NFL talent for next season they have a chance to tie or break Miami’s 2002 record of 6 1st round picks.

Simply put, Alabama players will dominate next year's draft. Sporting News ranked the top 50 prospects in our early big board for 2020, and 10 of those players - including the top two in quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and receiver Jerry Jeudy - play for the Crimson Tide....”
Clempson has 4...

Didn't the SWAC, for the longest time, have a lot more NFL players than the rest of I-AA? How'd that work out on the field, you know, where the games are played? I mean, how much better of a coach is Dabo considering he's beating Saban with so many "lesser" players? :rofl:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Yet the facts say over the last 4 seasons as a whole, Clempson = Bama.. :nod:

Clempson has 4...

Didn't the SWAC, for the longest time, have a lot more NFL players than the rest of I-AA? How'd that work out on the field, you know, where the games are played? I mean, how much better of a coach is Dabo considering he's beating Saban with so many "lesser" players? :rofl:
Did they?

We'll see who's proven right come Jan.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Clemson is going to have a better quarterback than Alabama will have next year. He won't be draft eligible. But he was better last year and he'll be better next year.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:58 pm
GannonFan wrote:
Did they?

And looks like I have been proven right..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Did they?

How has who was the best team for the previous 4 years before this season now been changed based on the results of this season? Has history changed? How revisionist of you :rofl:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 pm
How has who was the best team for the previous 4 years before this season now been changed based on the results of this season? Has history changed? How revisionist of you :rofl:
BAMA is currently the best program in college football.
The last 7 seasons 2014-2020 of the since the college football playoffs started BAMA has been the best (most championship game appearances (5 to Clemson's 4), most championships (3 to Clemsons 2).

Like I said, I was proven right.. :nod: And I wish I wasn't. Saban was leading team BLM march(es) this past summer, while I heard Dabo (Praise Jesus) is/was a closet Trumper.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Damn, BDK. I bet you were terribly disappointed that you weren't able to resurrect this thread last year. You were chomping at the bit for two years waiting for a perceived "I got ya"?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:06 pm Damn, BDK. I bet you were terribly disappointed that you weren't able to resurrect this thread last year. You were chomping at the bit for two years waiting for a perceived "I got ya"?
He's a goal post mover. :lol:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:47 pmSaban was leading team BLM march(es) this past summer, while I heard Dabo (Praise Jesus) is/was a closet Trumper.

they're probably both closest Red Hats though to be honest
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:47 pmSaban was leading team BLM march(es) this past summer, while I heard Dabo (Praise Jesus) is/was a closet Trumper.

they're probably both closest Red Hats though to be honest
Dabo is a red hatter for sure.

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17