Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: The Iran War

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:But Iran was at war with Iraq for many years and it ended in a draw. We took Iraq in a matter of days. Sure, size matters (she said), but are they able to put up a sizable fight? Does the current regime really have the support of it's people?
You do realize that Iraq was given billions in cash from Saudi Arabia, the US, and Europe.

And the US provided military equipment, advising, and intelligence?

And Iraq was right next door, not having to mobilize an Army, Navy, and Air Force halfway around the globe.

And it was a popular war.

And they still couldn't beat Iran.

Also, we took Iraq in a matter of days (after months of build-up and weeks of aerial bombardment with air superiority) for the reasons I previously mentioned. It's a wide-open sandbox. A dream for military planners. You can see EVERYTHING on the battlefield, and they have nowhere to hide.

Iran, the France of the Middle East

:ohno:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:But Iran was at war with Iraq for many years and it ended in a draw. We took Iraq in a matter of days. Sure, size matters (she said), but are they able to put up a sizable fight? Does the current regime really have the support of it's people?
You do realize that Iraq was given billions in cash from Saudi Arabia, the US, and Europe?

And Iraq was right next door, not having to mobilize an Army, Navy, and Air Force halfway around the globe.

Also, we took Iraq in a matter of days (after months of build-up and weeks of aerial bombardment with air superiority) for the reasons I previously mentioned. It's a wide-open sandbox. A dream for military planners. You can see EVERYTHING on the battlefield, and they have nowhere to hide.
Two choices:

a) another proxy war
b) nukes

You pick. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Nukes if they use them first, obviously. Otherwise, no. The US doesn't nuke countries that don't attack us unprovoked.

Turning Tehran to glass would be pretty awesome though, I must admit.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:Nukes if they use them first, obviously. Otherwise, no. The US doesn't nuke countries that don't attack us unprovoked.

Turning Tehran to glass would be pretty awesome though, I must admit.
Any war in the ME is a loss. I'm with you 100%, let the Israelis handle them.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: The Iran War

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote:
You do realize that Iraq was given billions in cash from Saudi Arabia, the US, and Europe?

How much of that war was fought in Iranian territory? Iraq was able to fight Iran to a draw on its home territory. Would have been a much different story if they were invading Iran.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Comparing Iraq and Iran in terms of how quickly we defeated Iraq, or how long Iran and Iraq fought, or any other comparative factors is a fool’s folly

93 is correct- we don’t have the will to fight Iran. They would have to directly attack US soil. And it would be a long slog

Any war with Iran would be an exercise in aerial bombing, followed by an occupation of Tehran and a supply line to the sea (we dont have the forces to lock down more than that) a puppet government, and a 30 year insurgency/civil war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Those Muslims sometimes get cocky. Like when they challenged the grandson of Ghengis Khan so he drained all their irrigation canals and then laid waste to Baghdad where the Euphrates first ran red with the blood of a million Muslims and then black from the ink of all the books destroyed in the great libraries.

It’s kind of like Montana football in 2010. It set them back a ton. :nod:
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
That'll be popular with the rest of the world.
Who gives a shit about the rest of the world? :coffee: :coffee:

We need oil. :| :|
Exactly fuck the rest of the world and what they think. They cant do a damn thing about it, just like when we took America from the Indians. Very one sided

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

kalm wrote:Those Muslims sometimes get cocky. Like when they challenged the grandson of Ghengis Khan so he drained all their irrigation canals and then laid waste to Baghdad where the Euphrates first ran red with the blood of a million Muslims and then black from the ink of all the books destroyed in the great libraries.

you entertain me

:lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Tinpot tough guys Bolton and Pompeo should get a one-way ticket to Tehran and pushed off the plane at 10,000 feet. Talking about war has a way of bringing one on.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:Btw, I was joking a bit with the title of the thread. I sat in on the Op Plan rehearsals on NorKo and Iran every year when I wore a uniform. We don't win a war with Iran. Sure, we win kill count and BDA by a mile, but this country doesn't have the will to beat a mountainous country the size of Iran. Iran is easily twice as difficult to hold as Afghanistan, which we only tenuously held for a few years before we decided to peace out except for a few outposts, a green zone in the capital, and a couple of big air bases.

Expect a few Tomahawks or a sunken patrol boat and not much else. Let Israel **** with them. That would be more fun to watch anyway.
After 18 straight years of war we have to start thinking about what to do if one of these wars dries up. Its only prudent to have a war or two "on deck" just in case the unthinkable happens. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote:Tinpot tough guys Bolton and Pompeo should get a one-way ticket to Tehran and pushed off the plane at 10,000 feet. Talking about war has a way of bringing one on.
Our so-called leadership and their kids should lead us into battle from the front. They're the ones profiting from these wars let them assume some risk for once in their gutless lives.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote:Those Muslims sometimes get cocky. Like when they challenged the grandson of Ghengis Khan so he drained all their irrigation canals and then laid waste to Baghdad where the Euphrates first ran red with the blood of a million Muslims and then black from the ink of all the books destroyed in the great libraries.

Was that the game we rushed the hell out of the ball, only to lose on your new red turf to two late TDs?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote:

Was that the game we rushed the hell out of the ball, only to lose on your new red turf to two late TDs?
We outgained you on the ground. Taiwan rushed for over 220 that day. We kicked a field goal with seconds left got penalized for rushing the field on the ensuing kickoff, and then scored a TD scoop and score sack as time expired. Rushed the field a second time.

IIRC Blackfalkin had already picked that win, an EWU run to the Championship, and the demise of Griz football. :lol:

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

houndawg wrote:
After 18 straight years of war we have to start thinking about what to do if one of these wars dries up. Its only prudent to have a war or two "on deck" just in case the unthinkable happens. :coffee:

This ^

:nod:

But the good news is - when things get slow we can go shopping
"we don't need the tanks. Our tank fleet is two and a half years old on average now. We're in good shape and these are additional tanks that we don't need."

The Pentagon begging Congress to stop buying Tanks
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Iran War

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Was that the game we rushed the hell out of the ball, only to lose on your new red turf to two late TDs?
We outgained you on the ground. Taiwan rushed for over 220 that day. We kicked a field goal with seconds left got penalized for rushing the field on the ensuing kickoff, and then scored a TD scoop and score sack as time expired. Rushed the field a second time.

IIRC Blackfalkin had already picked that win, an EWU run to the Championship, and the demise of Griz football. Image

Yeah no. That's not the game I was thinking of. Lol.

It's true, that was the passing of the mantle .
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Pretty sure the people of Iran would like to get from under the mullahs. Didn’t the have a big uprising while Obama sat on his hands and looked the other way.

"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

andy7171 wrote:Pretty sure the people of Iran would like to get from under the mullahs. Didn’t the have a big uprising while Obama sat on his hands and looked the other way.

The Iraqis also wanted to get out from under Saddam

And we told ourselves that we’d be treated as liberators.... and for the most part, we were - but we also placed ourselves in an impossible situation because we are neither equipped nor willing to do what must be done to put down an insurgency

Iran would be Iraq times ten. We would be hailed as liberators, they would execute a few mullahs, and then they’d sit back while we pussyfoot around with an Islamic insurgency for 20 years

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Let's see how it plays out, but so far President Trump might be the only person in his administration that doesn't have a hard-on for war and is (correctly) keeping us from a conflict with Iran.

And in the end, that's all that matters.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:Let's see how it plays out, but so far President Trump might be the only person in his administration that doesn't have a hard-on for war and is (correctly) keeping us from a conflict with Iran.

And in the end, that's all that matters.
You mean until Iran crosses a line that can't be ignored, right?
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

2012 smart guy.

Also, he's talking about 2012 too.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:This morning, C-SPAN was asking callers what they thought about a potential conflict with Iran.

It's amazing how many are so willing to go to war, and how quick they forget about the current "War on Terror." One woman called and said she'd be proud if her son went to liberate oppressed people (as if that's the reason we'd fight Iran).
Most people don't comprehend the size of Iran, or the fact that it is mountainous.

The open Iraqi desert was a showroom for the M1 tank and US air superiority. All that is handcuffed badly once you add terrain and cover.

And because mufuggers are lazy, I'll take the liberty of cutting and pasting Google Maps below, to show the size comparisons of Afghanistan and Iraq to Iran:

Enjoy MFers

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country ... s-usa/iran

If you compare Kansas to Iran, you get a better feel

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country ... s-usa/iran

From Billings to Mobile, Chicago to Dallas, Denver to St. Louis
:thumb:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'd be surprised if half of Americans know where Iran is. Hell I'd be surprised if they knew where Iraq or Afghanistan are located after 18 years of fighting there.

edit: somewhat related, but a former evangelical co-worker of mine who was obsessed with zionism had no idea where Israel was. She laughed it off "as a brain fart" when she couldn't find it on a map (or even the general region it was in).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'd be surprised if half of Americans know where Iran is. Hell I'd be surprised if they knew where Iraq or Afghanistan are located after 18 years of fighting there.

edit: somewhat related, but a former evangelical co-worker of mine who was obsessed with zionism had no idea where Israel was. She laughed it off "as a brain fart" when she couldn't find it on a map (or even the general region it was in).
She doesn’t need to know. God is gone scoop her up wherever she is.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

I found it interesting that the US drone being shot down the US is saying "it wasn't over Iranian territory" yet we're afraid that the wreckage will be recovered and the Iranians will be able to reverse engineer our tech? Seems like it might have landed on dry land......just speculating.