JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: Bobcats Hire Danny Sprinkle

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:https://msubobcats.com/news/2019/4/4/da ... ogram.aspx

Spinkle played for MSU from 1995-99 and was an assistant there from 2006-08 (Brad Huse's first 2 years). He's currently an assistant at Cal St. Fullerton and had two prior stints as an assistant at Northridge.
I'm surely getting old. His dad was the AD and football coach at Billings Central when I was there and Danny would give me a hand with the basketball team. He couldn't have been much past 8 years old at that time.

Very proud of him and his accomplishments so far. I will be rooting for him (except when they play PSU of course).
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote:

Spinkle played for MSU from 1995-99 and was an assistant there from 2006-08 (Brad Huse's first 2 years). He's currently an assistant at Cal St. Fullerton and had two prior stints as an assistant at Northridge.
I'm surely getting old. His dad was the AD and football coach at Billings Central when I was there and Danny would give me a hand with the basketball team. He couldn't have been much past 8 years old at that time.

Very proud of him and his accomplishments so far. I will be rooting for him (except when they play PSU of course).
(And the Griz of course). :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:

I figure he's a relatively good hire for MSU, but probably not good enough to overcome The Curse of Dan Trammel™.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Idaho State Hires Ryan Looney

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Looney took DII Point Loma Nazarene to the DII title game this past season.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/membe ... 64c88.html
css75
Level3
Level3

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Post by css75 »

I think they got the right guy. Saul Phillips had a D1 winning history at Ohio U and NDSU and would also have been a good hire. IMHO, Looney has more upside and hopefully give them the kind of teams they had back in the glory days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Re: 3/2 Scores

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote:Also heard Bunky has 2 years left on his contract. Given that everyone returns for the Hornets on the women's side, expectations should be significantly higher next year.
Well, so much for that. Five Hornets are now transferring, including leading scorer Hannah Friend (who previously transferred to Sac from Delaware).
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 3/2 Scores

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Also heard Bunky has 2 years left on his contract. Given that everyone returns for the Hornets on the women's side, expectations should be significantly higher next year.
Well, so much for that. Five Hornets are now transferring, including leading scorer Hannah Friend (who previously transferred to Sac from Delaware).
That's a big loss.

Edit: Found an article in the State Hornet. Friend is a graduate transfer. The other 4 players weren't notable.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Jack Murphy Refuses to Wait for the Inevitable…

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

NAU men's basketball head coach Jack Murphy to leave program

Murphy went 23-15 and took NAU to the CIT title game in his third year, but he then posted a dreadful 28-96 (.226) mark in four seasons after that.

Shane Burcar will coach the 'Jacks in an interim capacity for next season, which I guess is the price NAU will pay for not buying out the last year of Murphy's contract a few months ago (& hiring a real head coach). This will be the second time in the past four seasons that an NAU basketball team will have a full-season interim coach. Robbyne Bostick coached the NAU women in '16-17 after Sue Darling was fired in late September.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Good
:thumb:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Idaho Fires Don Verlin

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

https://govandals.com/news/2019/6/14/me ... erlin.aspx

He was suspended because of unspecified alleged NCAA violations 3 weeks ago. The rumors on the Vandal board initially made it sound like these weren't real serious, but the rumor wind started blowing in a different direction a few days ago. The release specifically mentions he was terminated "for cause," so the firing wasn't for W/L reasons.

Idaho becomes the fourth Big Sky MBB program to make a coaching change this offseason. There haven't been any changes on the women's side as of yet.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

He started out so good there, sure went south in a hurry. Too bad, ISU was good for 2 wins against them.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Wow - late in the year for this
:thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Idaho Fires Don Verlin

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:https://govandals.com/news/2019/6/14/me ... erlin.aspx

He was suspended because of unspecified alleged NCAA violations 3 weeks ago. The rumors on the Vandal board initially made it sound like these weren't real serious, but the rumor wind started blowing in a different direction a few days ago. The release specifically mentions he was terminated "for cause," so the firing wasn't for W/L reasons.

Idaho becomes the fourth Big Sky MBB program to make a coaching change this offseason. There haven't been any changes on the women's side as of yet.
Idalol being Idalol.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:https://govandals.com/news/2019/6/14/me ... erlin.aspx

Idalol being Idalol.
Yeah, the whole thing's a mess. The violations didn't warrant a firing, but it also sounds like Verlin was thumbing his nose at the AD/compliance office & being a petulant child about the whole thing.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Idalol being Idalol.
Yeah, the whole thing's a mess. The violations didn't warrant a firing, but it also sounds like Verlin was thumbing his nose at the AD/compliance office & being a petulant child about the whole thing.
Don't know the details, but firing a successful coach over minor violations is weak sauce.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

From what I understand at the UOP fan board (Verlin's brother Ron was canned at UOP for major violations, mainly involving academic integrity and an inappropriate relationship between one of his assistants and the daughter of the AD that blew sky high), the charges against Don were VERY flimsy, and the admin was tarring him with the same brush as his brother.

Of course, some are ALSO saying that Ron was a weak guy who started out with good intentions but had people working for him that were a bit more in the gray area, and he allowed himself to get caught up in all that.

Either way, there are complaints that the NCAA is about to pull another one of those "come down like a ton of bricks on the little guy" while letting the big guys walk away scot free. We'll see....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

SuperHornet wrote:From what I understand at the UOP fan board (Verlin's brother Ron was canned at UOP for major violations, mainly involving academic integrity and an inappropriate relationship between one of his assistants and the daughter of the AD that blew sky high), the charges against Don were VERY flimsy, and the admin was tarring him with the same brush as his brother.

Of course, some are ALSO saying that Ron was a weak guy who started out with good intentions but had people working for him that were a bit more in the gray area, and he allowed himself to get caught up in all that.

Either way, there are complaints that the NCAA is about to pull another one of those "come down like a ton of bricks on the little guy" while letting the big guys walk away scot free. We'll see....

I also think Vandals are trying to get out of a contract and save a few bucks. Last year was a disaster for them and the higher ups want a change. Regardless of who they eventually get it is a tough place to win at for many reasons.