Political discussions
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Wealth gaps between different ethnic groups

Post by Pwns »

So I've been following the punditry and the congressional hearings on slavery reparations and I thought I'd bring this up since there's the common refrain now that it's not about writing checks to any individuals but lifting black people as a whole up.

Why do we just assume the wealth gap between whites and blacks exists because of slavery?

You've got wealth gaps between whites and blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and Ashkenazi jews. How can you possibly know the black-white gap is due to slavery, especially with decades of social programs and affirmative action?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Wealth gaps between different ethnic groups

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Pwns wrote:So I've been following the punditry and the congressional hearings on slavery reparations and I thought I'd bring this up since there's the common refrain now that it's not about writing checks to any individuals but lifting black people as a whole up.

Why do we just assume the wealth gap between whites and blacks exists because of slavery?

You've got wealth gaps between whites and blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and Ashkenazi jews. How can you possibly know the black-white gap is due to slavery, especially with decades of social programs and affirmative action?
It's not simply an issue of slavery. Centuries of systemic racism put black families behind in terms of the inter-generational transfer of wealth. Racist banking/housing/land laws and the lack of work opportunities are examples of how black families were never given the chance to close the gap. They also had to contend with intimidation and violence (like the destruction of the wealthiest black neighborhood in America).

And that lack of inter-generational-wealth creates a domino effect: live in poorer neighborhoods, worse educational opportunities, worse job-prospects, etc.

Slavery began the wealth gap, but everything afterwards has been more instrumental in its creation.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Anyone who thinks logically knows that reparations aren’t going to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:Anyone who thinks logically knows that reparations aren’t going to happen

It’s pandering for the black vote. Plain and simple.

Just like the “go back and allow gays to amended tax returns” platform Warren just announced....reparations for gays. Pandering for votes.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

There is a huge wage differential between those who are smart and work hard and those who aren't and don't. And race, age, sex or any other variable is meaningless.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Blacks have been getting reparations for 200 years. Welfare has paved the way for them to be successful, even in the country they hate so much.

If anyone gets reparations it should be the people paying for the welfare queens.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Pwns wrote:So I've been following the punditry and the congressional hearings on slavery reparations and I thought I'd bring this up since there's the common refrain now that it's not about writing checks to any individuals but lifting black people as a whole up.

It's not simply an issue of slavery. Centuries of systemic racism put black families behind in terms of the inter-generational transfer of wealth. Racist banking/housing/land laws and the lack of work opportunities are examples of how black families were never given the chance to close the gap. They also had to contend with intimidation and violence (like the destruction of the wealthiest black neighborhood in America).

And that lack of inter-generational-wealth creates a domino effect: live in poorer neighborhoods, worse educational opportunities, worse job-prospects, etc.

Slavery began the wealth gap, but everything afterwards has been more instrumental in its creation.
So not going to point out which political party has largely been in control of black urban areas for the last 50+ years?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Wealth gaps between different ethnic groups

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote:

So should the solution be to pay raparations? Or should we be striving to fix the underlying causes like education, childcare, job-training and hope?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: RE: Re: Wealth gaps between different ethnic groups

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: It's not simply an issue of slavery. Centuries of systemic racism put black families behind in terms of the inter-generational transfer of wealth. Racist banking/housing/land laws and the lack of work opportunities are examples of how black families were never given the chance to close the gap. They also had to contend with intimidation and violence (like the destruction of the wealthiest black neighborhood in America).

So should the solution be to pay raparations? Or should we be striving to fix the underlying causes like education, childcare, job-training and hope?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
You mean like P Diddy?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:

For some. But for some that's just a crutch.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Blacks have been getting reparations for 200 years. Welfare has paved the way for them to be successful, even in the country they hate so much.

If anyone gets reparations it should be the people paying for the welfare queens.

They were getting reparations since the early 1800s?

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Ibanez wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Blacks have been getting reparations for 200 years. Welfare has paved the way for them to be successful, even in the country they hate so much.

They were getting reparations since the early 1800s?

Yes back then they all had jobs, (we had to force them to work) and they still complained until well...........next week and the month after that. They have always had things given to them and they still cry like little bitches.

Its fucking embarrassing

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Same old same old with respect to the reparations question. To me, in order to justify reparations, one would have to argue that the people to be compensated are worse off as a result of slavery. And the only way one can argue that the people involved are worse off as a result of slavery is to argue that they'd be better off if they did not exist.

Reparations is, or should be, a non starter.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:And the only way one can argue that the people involved are worse off as a result of slavery is to argue that they'd be better off if they did not exist.
Run that one by me again.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:And the only way one can argue that the people involved are worse off as a result of slavery is to argue that they'd be better off if they did not exist.
Yeah he lost me on that one too

In a Hobbit "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve” kind of way

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
Each of us is the result of a unique set of ancestors. Change one thing in history to change the chain that led to us and we would not exist.

Suppose slavery had never been practiced. Black Africans would have lived and died in their home areas, interbred with people nearby, etc. Because of slavery, that did not happen. People were removed from their homes and interbred with people they never would have met had slavery never been practiced. Then as time and generations went on the distance between what would have happened had slavery never been practiced and what did happen increased.

If you could go back in time and do something to create a situation whereby black Africans were never taken from Africa and shipped to America as slaves, it is extremely likely that not a single individual who is a descendant of Black American slaves would exist today. A different set of individuals based on chains of ancestry resulting from a scenario in which slavery was never practiced would exist.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Run that one by me again.
Each of us is the result of a unique set of ancestors. Change one thing in history to change the chain that led to us and we would not exist.

Suppose slavery had never been practiced. Black Africans would have lived and died in their home areas, interbred with people nearby, etc. Because of slavery, that did not happen. People were removed from their homes and interbred with people they never would have met had slavery never been practiced. Then as time and generations went on the distance between what would have happened had slavery never been practiced and what did happen increased.

If you could go back in time and do something to create a situation whereby black Africans were never taken from Africa and shipped to America as slaves, it is extremely likely that not a single individual who is a descendant of Black American slaves would exist today. A different set of individuals based on chains of ancestry resulting from a scenario in which slavery was never practiced would exist.
Let’s just file this away in the WELL DUH section

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Run that one by me again.

John,
To call all of that ^ above "extraneous" might be the nicest way to put it

But it makes me want to ask you:
Do you really think anybody on this forum is confused about how time works..?
You might as well have started with "if we had a time machine"

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Chizzang wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

John,
To call all of that ^ above "extraneous" might be the nicest way to put it

But it makes me want to ask you:
Do you really think anybody on this forum is confused about how time works..?
You might as well have started with "if we had a time machine"

Note that at first I just said that today's descendants of slaves would not exist. Then a couple of people said I lost them. Thus the explanation.

And it's not extraneous. How can you say that someone is worse off by virtue of slavery having been practiced when slavery having been practiced is the reason for their existence? You have to argue that they would have been better off if they had never been born.

It would be different if we were dealing with someone who was living in an African village then abducted then freed during his or her lifetime. Then the idea of compensating them for what you did to them makes sense. One could clearly make the case that their being abducted into slavery made them worse off.

Today's descendants of Black African slaves generally benefitted from slavery. They are people who would not otherwise have come into existence living, on averge, lives that are far more materially comfortable than the lives of most of Earth's human inhabitants. In fact they live lives that are probably, on average, more materially comfortable than the lives of the alternative "slavery never practiced" scenario descendants of people abducted into slavery would be at this time.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW I think it really is interesting to think about how unlikely we all are as individuals. It's not just a set of ancestors. There's also the timing of sexual contacts. An estimated 20 to 100 million sperm are in each ejaculation. Each of us is the product of one moment when one sperm cell made it into one egg cell under one specific set of circumstances. If the ejaculation had occurred one second later than it in association with slightly different positioning a different sperm cell likely would have made it into the egg.

Yes I know thinking about things like that doesn't interest most people but I do think about things like that. Probability. And it makes me really grateful to be alive. There are billions of us but each of us is a 1 in billions, trillions, or something like that occurrence as an individual.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:BTW I think it really is interesting to think about how unlikely we all are as individuals. It's not just a set of ancestors. There's also the timing of sexual contacts. An estimated 20 to 100 million sperm are in each ejaculation. Each of us is the product of one moment when one sperm cell made it into one egg cell under one specific set of circumstances. If the ejaculation had occurred one second later than it in association with slightly different positioning a different sperm cell likely would have made it into the egg.

Yes I know thinking about things like that doesn't interest most people but I do think about things like that. Probability. And it makes me really grateful to be alive. There are billions of us but each of us is a 1 in billions, trillions, or something like that occurrence as an individual.
:o

You took genetics as part of high school bio, right? :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote: Yes I know thinking about things like that doesn't interest most people but I do think about things like that. Probability. And it makes me really grateful to be alive. There are billions of us but each of us is a 1 in billions, trillions, or something like that occurrence as an individual.
John,
this perspective assumes you would be "aware" that you did not exist...
Most existentialist's would poo poo your point as hyper myopic delusion

:geek:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Forget black reparations....Elizabeth Warren has just come out with a gay reparations plan...

If the Dems offer enough money to enough different groups, they will win...even if they never will pay a penny of their promises...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Col Hogan wrote:Forget black reparations....Elizabeth Warren has just come out with a gay reparations plan...

If the Dems offer enough money to enough different groups, they will win...even if they never will pay a penny of their promises...
Oh I don't know...
Private golf courses effectively receive a public subsidy
In Los Angeles county (for example) $89.8 million in public subsidies
without granting the public access to the land

That's seems like a type of reparations for rich folks that don't want poor folks around

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Chizzang wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:Forget black reparations....Elizabeth Warren has just come out with a gay reparations plan...

Oh I don't know...
Private golf courses effectively receive a public subsidy
In Los Angeles county (for example) $89.8 million in public subsidies
without granting the public access to the land

That's seems like a type of reparations for rich folks that don't want poor folks around

Got any details on that claim...and any other examples other than LA?

Call me skeptical...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.